DL 08-Oct-18
Woods Walker 09-Oct-18
Owl 10-Oct-18
Woods Walker 10-Oct-18
Woods Walker 10-Oct-18
Will 10-Oct-18
Woods Walker 10-Oct-18
05-Oct-18
Heard on the news a couple days ago that Amazon has now CUT bonuses to warehouse hourly employees, and will be putting that money towards the new $15 per hour employees.

Anyone who didn’t see that coming, is an actual idiot.

05-Oct-18
That and cutting stock options was in the initial plan....

05-Oct-18
......unless you're a government agency......

05-Oct-18
The dollar has never been "worth" its actual face value and never will.

The Rock

05-Oct-18
"There are only 100 pennies in a dollar. If you spend more of those pennies on one thing, they must spend less of them on something else. "

Or increase selling prices to offset your higher costs. This will have an effect on sales obviously.

05-Oct-18
Unskilled labor becomes undesirable at a certain cost. There's a reason fast food places like Arby's are going to touch screens for ordering. And that reason is the clamor for a $15.00 minimum wage by the economically illiterate.

07-Oct-18
Tangentially related:

(Via Weasel Zippers)

Bigger Job Gains For Disabled Workers Under Trump

Only the generational welfare families don’t want to work.

Via Washington Examiner:

Disabled Americans are going back to work at a better pace than those with no disabilities, another sign that the Trump economy is opening up the job market.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics Jobs Report released Friday said that a higher ratio of those with disabilities gained jobs than those without them

“The employment-to-population ratio for working-age people with disabilities increased from 30.4 percent in September 2017 to 31.4 percent in September 2018 (up 3.3 percent or 1 percentage point). For working-age people without disabilities, the employment-to-population ratio also increased from 73.8 percent in September 2017 to 74.0 percent in September 2018 (up 0.3 percent or 0.2 percentage points),” said BLS.

Keep reading…

08-Oct-18
McDonalds out here has the kiosks. I don’t use them or self checkouts.

09-Oct-18
Kiosks are the most unsanitary, disgusting things to put in a place to order food, of all things, with. When I'm at work and go to a McDonalds for lunch, the first thing I do is hit the men's room and wash my hands. Then I order my food. The LAST thing I want to do is touch, IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT, a place on a screen that the person before me touched who has cold and just wiped his hands on his pants after he sneezed into them, or picked his nose, or wiped his a** and didn't wash his hands!!!!

When the day comes when I HAVE TO touch screen order, then they will either provide latex gloves (or the like), or THEY will do the touching after I tell them what I want, or I walk out of the damn place. To me it's no different than having the cook sneeze on my food or spit on it.

10-Oct-18
I understand what you mean, WW, but people do not think twice about grabbing a door handle to enter a high traffic space. They won't think twice about ordering from a press screen kiosk.

Great video, btw.

10-Oct-18
I know that Owl, but the difference here is that when you are touching door handles and the like you are NOT necessarily going to be handling food with your hands immediately after. If I do I wash my hands first. And if I'm in a food place I will use a paper towel to grab the door handle with on the way out. Ever see the pile of used paper towels on the floor near the door if they don't have a trash can nearby in the rest room? THAT'S WHY! With a fast food kiosk that's exactly what you are going to do, and with the touch screen you are touching the PRECISE same spot that the previous customer did. YUCK!

I know this makes me sound like a germo-phobe, and maybe I am, but I work outdoors in dirt and dust and I grew up working on a horse farm shoveling poop so I'm not exactly a clean freak, but HUMAN germs are another matter. I'm getting older and colds are getting harder on me when I do get them so I avoid that as best I can. And colds and the like you get from PEOPLE!

10-Oct-18
I do that also, and germs are bad no matter where they come from, but when you pump gas you are not going to be immediately putting your fingers on food that's going into your mouth, and if you are going to eat afterwards you WASH YOUR HANDS! Or you SHOULD.........

10-Oct-18
WW - I'm with you. I'd rather pay a fleet of teens 8 bucks (ish) an hour to take my order at subway or whatever than interact with a kiosk. It also slows the line - which may end in a few years if people acclimate... But at this point, people are not used to it, and look at it like "what the heck is that"... then get up to it and have to learn the ecosystem on the fly. Do it a few times and you would fly through, but given each one is a little different, each one takes a bit more time.

It does seem like the leading edge of a reality wave though... AI and other robotic systems added to things like self pay kiosks are going to do away with more and more entry level jobs.

It makes me want my kids to either be Dr's, Lawyers, Nurses, Vet's, OR Plumbers, Electrical workers, Carpenters etc. I dont see those tasks getting robo-sourced any time soon so their long term job prospects are good. If you end up building widgets or moving stuff around a ware house or entering data on a spread sheet for a living... technology is numbering your days.

10-Oct-18
Our local grocery store chain here....Jewel....put in self service "rapid" check out lines 5 or 6 years ago. They were anything BUT "rapid". That, and most of the time I could go to a regular full service lane with one person ahead of me and I'd STILL get out of there faster than the people who went to the self serve line. The other issue they were having was that people were stealing from them in those self serve lines. They eliminated ALL of them and put 4 extra cash registers with clerks manning them for items less than 15. NOW it's "rapid" in every sense of the word.

• Sitka Gear