Zbone 15-Oct-18
Zbone 15-Oct-18
Zbone 24-Oct-18
Zbone 24-Oct-18
09-Oct-18

spike78's Link
Or maybe not lol

09-Oct-18
A bite from a cat put me in the hospital for a month a couple yrs. ago. Nearly lost my left hand due to a nasty infection. Had intibiotic infusins for over a month after the surgery, not to mention the series of rabies shots! Cat bites and scratches are NOT a minor thing!

09-Oct-18
Wonder what ever happened to the bobcat kittens, was there any follow up?

09-Oct-18

RK's embedded Photo
RK's embedded Photo
Zbone the article /link said they went to a rehab facility in Kendalia Texas.

They should get released back into the wild

I have raised two bobcats over the years. They did well until they a little age on them. Just pure wild animals

I've always said if you can't get it at a pet store it probably is not going to work out

Here are some foxes we caught over the summer and release them to a new location

09-Oct-18
My grandfather had a coyote for a pet back in the late 50's and early 60's. He pulled it from a den as a pup and raised it along side his 2 German Shepherds that he had. That coyote was more friendly to be around than the German Shepherds.

09-Oct-18
Buckhammer

That's really cool. I have tried three times to raise a coyote from closed eyed pup and never had any success

Kudos to your grandfather!!

Foxes bobcats coons possums yes to some degree. Never a coyote.

09-Oct-18
Bobcat=Window Fan with Razor Blades.....

09-Oct-18
a buddy of mine tried raising a really young coyote and he said at a very young age, that thing was not even close to domesticated and it didn't work out. In the 70's and 80's my great uncle lived in a cabin in the mountains and he had all sorts of wildish pets. He had chipmunks and birds that would eat nuts off his shoulder and although not tame, he co-existed with a badger that lived under his deck for years. I don't think he tried handling that one, but he'd come and go as he pleased and he never had any issues with it. Every other badger I've ever seen, hell no that thing isn't coming near me.

09-Oct-18
Had a red fox for a while we found that had fallen off a bluff at a lake when we were in college. Thing never did tame down.

Treed a bobcat kitten under a bluff several years ago. It was about the size of a small housecat. Someone at work asked me why I didn't catch it, I told him it was because I didn't have anyone to help me turn it loose! ;)

12-Oct-18
Thanks RK...

Have had multiple foxes and raccoons as pets when a kid... Depends upon the individual as to how tame they become... Have always wondered about a coyote..

12-Oct-18
I tamed a full grown red fox enough to eat out of my hand once. His den was behind our condo in Winter Park. Little guy would come running every time he heard me open the dumpster lid. I was the only person he’d do that to. Kinda cool.

Matt

12-Oct-18
Really cool to hear of all these wild-pet's so to speak. Amazing. The closest I've ever been was a wolf hybrid - not mine, a friends. I'm certain that animal was the smartest animal I've been around. It's eyes... Man, felt like it could look through you. Sounds corny, but man, what an amazing animal. You guys who have had such cool interactions with animals -very cool. The grandpa with the pet yote, that's amazing!

12-Oct-18
Have a bunch of coon out back and been feeding them for years, have a dog food bin they open the door and eat out of nightly which I need to keep food in daily because if they run out of they will literally tear my deck apart, but anyhow they have become so humanized with me a couple will eat out of my hand... If I walk up to the door, they'll come up to the glass looking for a handout... If I need to walk by them at night while feeding, some won't even run as I walk by 3 feet away... During summer when sundown is late if I'm setting on the deck a couple of the tamer ones will come out during evening and feed out of their bin just mere feet away, even turning their backs to me like I'm not even there... They've actually become too tame, am waiting on one to grab me by the leg while walking by someday as to say, "Hey were's my cookie?"...8^)

12-Oct-18

Mike B's embedded Photo
Mike B's embedded Photo
Zbone..I can most definitely relate..lol

I started helping out a female coon that had lost an eye and was lame in one of her front legs. Named her "Lucky". Now, 5 years later I've got not only her and her annual litter to deal with, but the litters of two of her daughters as well.

I'll feed the crowd (about 15 of 'em) a couple times a week, but the other days they have to go out and find their own food, naturally. I don't want them dependent on humans feeding them, and want them to know how to find their own chow. Fortunately, they love to eat insects and bugs. Used to have hundreds of carpenter ants crawling around the place, and now you can't even find one. They also love termites.

The upside is that the mom's run off the brats every spring, so for most of the year it's just Lucky and maybe one of her kids. She'll eat from my hand, but it makes her uncomfortable, so I usually just dump a pile of her dog food on the front porch, and then have a seat on a step just a couple feet away. She doesn't pay me much attention at all.

I've got a separate room in my garage that I use as a shop/office, and put in a cat door so my cat could come and go, and when Lucky comes by she'll stick her head through and let me know she's hungry. They never bother the bag of dog food..they just get my attention and then go wait on the porch for me (the waiter) to bring their food. A few times she's even curled up on the porch and taken a nap.

Pic of Lucky having her chow. Not growling, btw, but chewing.

12-Oct-18

Joey Ward's embedded Photo
Joey Ward's embedded Photo
Feral cat showed up on my back porch and took over the dog house. Seems to love Ol’Roy dog food.

12-Oct-18
You guys are playing with dynamite.

12-Oct-18
"You guys are playing with dynamite. "

Perhaps from your perspective. In my area there are no incidents of rabies, feline distemper nor feline leukemia. In all the years I've dealt with them, there's only been one with a bad attitude, and a .22 ca. pill solved the issue.

Last Summer when Lucky brought her new kids around for the first time she came up on the porch to eat, and the four little ones played out on the lawn. I tossed a soccer sized ball out there, and even through it was as big as they were, they had a blast pushing it around and rolling over it. Lucky just laid down on the porch and watched them.

In my life I've not only been a bowhunter and trapper; I've worked at wildlife parks and handled/worked around tigers, cheetahs, lions and a host of other creatures from around the globe, so I'm no tenderfoot when it comes to dealing with animals.

I can appreciate what you're saying though. Dealing with wild critters is not for the clueless and inexperienced.

12-Oct-18
The only problems you guys may have with those critters are fleas and mites which I’m pretty sure they will have.

14-Oct-18

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Photo taken July 23...

15-Oct-18

Mike B's embedded Photo
Mike B's embedded Photo
5 min. ago....

15-Oct-18
Hey Mike B, at one time this summer had 9 adults and 11 cubs coming...8^) I was going through about 40 pounds of dog food a week to keep them happy and not destroying my deck... At this time of year there is not as many, and I cut the feed back... Many or most of the cubs are either dead (predators, road killled, etc) or moved on naturally...

15-Oct-18

Mike B's embedded Photo
Mike B's embedded Photo
Gary, I go through a couple large 50# bags a month of cheap dry dog food...about $50 worth. Still, I don't feed them every night so they learn how to also feed themselves the old fashioned way. This time of year they would normally be eating on the carcasses of spawned out salmon, but our salmon runs are so depleted very few (if any) die on my beach anymore.

Another pic from early this morning. That's Lucky and 2 of her kits hanging out after dinner. Not uncommon for all 3 moms and their 12 kids showing up all at once. Lots of growling goes on but no fights yet this year. If folks think dogs fighting is bad, they haven't seen two grown coons going at it.

15-Oct-18
That's cool Mike... Thought I was the only crazy person feeding coons cheap dog food...8^) Yeah, have a couple named too...8^) One female be eating from hand been coming years and kinda funny, a couple of cubs have learn to hand feed so I suspect after learning from their mother...

Yeah coon fights are voicerous...8^)

As said, I have to keep it up, if they run out of food one night they'll literally tear things outside up, wouldn't be surprised they'd try to break a window to get in... Have opened the door to toss hangouts and actually had them try to come inside... They know where the food comes from... Have kinda created my own monsters, but don't have the heart to eliminate any of them, although did have to dispatch a sick one last year... At this time of year seasons changing they're not as aggressive and not as many...

15-Oct-18
I shoot or trap coons. I don't feed them...My brother had a family he fed. While gone on a business trip they invaded his house via the chimney. Looked like he had been robbed when he got home. Don't recall the insurance claim, but it wasn't cheap...

15-Oct-18
Znone and Mike B

You guys should get some Ivamec and treat corn with it and feed it to your coons. It will get rid of their fleas mites ticks etc

You will end up with some very healthy critters

We have to feed ivomec corn and mineral lick to our deer and cattle to help fight the Mexican fever tick problem here on the border. A by product of doing that is we have some very healthy coons, turkeys, foxes etc

15-Oct-18
Thanks for the tip RK...

15-Oct-18

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Had a wildlife nuisance control license and after a call from local police, rescued this little guy after falling from a den tree… Two died from fall hitting the sidewalk, this one survived landing in the grass… Eyes still closed, guessing about 3 weeks old...

24-Oct-18

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
I think my dog food served the backyard coon well...8^)

24-Oct-18

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Nice pelts...8^)

• Sitka Gear