TGbow 01-Jan-19
gflight 01-Jan-19
Bowbender 01-Jan-19
Glunt@work 01-Jan-19
Bowbender 01-Jan-19
TGbow 01-Jan-19
Glunt@work 01-Jan-19
23-Oct-18
Hearing in November in Oregon, Hanna Brumbles is seeking same payment as cake baker case....

23-Oct-18
Educate me. When did Trump become a dictator and impose federal law that the legal age to purchase a firearm be moved to 21 years of age?

24-Oct-18
Oh I’m well aware of that JTV. What I’m confused about is a guy that swears Trump is a lying man who uses emotions to stir his simpletons into a frenzy, actually being a liar trying to evoke emotional responses.

24-Oct-18
Okay, so he shouldn't have used Trump in the title. Otherwise, it is a legitimate posting. Honestly, I'm not even sure Wal-mart should sell guns. In my experience they do a horrible job at it, but I'm sure in some locations it is quite different than what I have experienced. I have bought a couple there, but only one recently. I don't know what the payment is, so will Wal-mart just pay to make it easy on themselves?

24-Oct-18
He used Trump to fit his narrative. Which completely disarms his position of alarm. It’s now a stupid point that isn’t even true.

Yes gflight gets most things right. But, his pride is getting the best of him here.

24-Oct-18
This has nothing to do with Trump, nor the government. This is a policy Walmart and other retailers implemented on their own.

24-Oct-18
Who really cares if Walmart sells guns or not?!? Parking is horrible, non-matching sweat pants abound, and you have to walk half a mile to get to the outdoor section. Besides, do you really want to buy a gun from a 21 year old pimple-faced kid? I'll take a professional gun shop over Walmart any day...especially considering I don't shop Walmart for anything, let alone a gun.

24-Oct-18
I care. When are people going to realize that currently, the federal government has zero initiative or ability to take gun rights away. It’s local municipalities that are doing that. When a wide reaching employer decides to implement rules affecting someone’s right to utilize firearms, it not only has an immediate effect on purchases. It has a long term physiological effect as well.

24-Oct-18
A Glie's spots never change.

24-Oct-18
"I care. When are people going to realize that currently, the federal government has zero initiative or ability to take gun rights away"

As noted above, this has ZERO to do with the government. This is a policy Walmart implemented on it's own.

24-Oct-18
Mhey Kyle, get your head out of your butt. Everyone knows the topic in the thread is about Walmart policy.

I wax referring to the constant crap gflight posts about Trump being against the 2A. And pointing out that through American history, the federal government has had no lasting incentive or motive to disarm the citizens of the United States. Most of the infringements we’ve experienced on the 2A has come from towns and states.

24-Oct-18
There's so many other places to buy firearms, Walmart not wanting to sell them is insignificant. Their ammo prices are usually better than Cabelas/BassPro.

24-Oct-18
Like Fleetfarm...where real men shop;)

24-Oct-18

gflight's Link
How many states and stores have raised their purchase age for rifles since Trump said we should?

"People aren't bringing it up because they're afraid to bring it up. You can't buy a handgun at 18, 19 or 20. You have to wait until you're 21. You could buy the weapon used in this horrible shooting at 18. You are going to decide - the people in this room pretty much - are going to decide. I would give very serious thought to it."

He basically said Obama couldn't get Manchin-Toomey proposal passed because he was hated by the right but that he could get it, bump stock ban, and the under 21 gun ban done.

He recently said the bump stock ban is in its final stages. How long until he gets you trumpettes to go with background checks and making 21 for rifle AS PROMISED!

You butt hurt trumpettes attack the messenger to defend your saviour. I on the other hand want the judges he appointed to strike down his leftist supported Unconstitutional bullstuff....

You suggesting Hannah shouldn't stand for her rights and buy a gun somewhere else sleepy? Oh yeah of course you are, bowsite banned liberal troll who is supposedly born again conservative. As for you others, Sad stuff from you guys who would go crazy on Obama for less than our draft dodger has done.

25-Oct-18
Then why did "ALL" those above mentioned states wait SOOOO many years "Being Democrat" until after February when Trump came out supporting to finally pass legislation?

Keep tangling yourselves in knots defending those that try to undermine the 2nd Amendment. Makes you a gun grabber by association.....

25-Oct-18
So a private bakery decides that it’s not going to sell a wedding cake to a lesbian couple and gets taken to federal court. Conservatives here state “it’s a private company they can choose who they do business with.” Walmart, another private entity places certain limits on who it will do business with and “conservatives” here lose their ****ing minds. You have every right to purchase a firearm. A private company is under no obligation to sell you one. Like someone said “you guys are all about freedom. As long as you approve of that freedom.”

Ya, I know. I’m a butt hurt never Trumper, defacto Clinton supporter.

25-Oct-18
"this would be much worse if Clinton or any other Dem was in office"

No. All you guys would screaming bloody murder and the Demons would make very little headway. Jeez, we just went through this with Obama (Bump stocks the most obvious).

Because your guy is in charge its ok by you to ban under 21, bump stocks, and you will defend the Universal background checks next.

25-Oct-18
I see the two cases as being what side of the Constitution are you on. One religion one guns.

So are we good with Facebook banning the first amendment for some political teams when they control a Huuuge portion of social media?

31-Dec-18

gflight's Link
Tyler Watson, a 20-year-old Oregonian, settled his age discrimination lawsuit last month against Dick’s Sporting Goods. In February, the retailer changed its firearms policy, raising the minimum age to buy a gun to 21.

Soon after the change, Watson attempted to by a .22 caliber Ruger rifle and was turned away.

The legal age to buy a gun in Oregon is 18, but Dick’s made the decision to raise the minimum age after the store learned a 19-year-old school shooter in Parkland, Florida, had legally bought a firearm from one of its stores. The corporation encouraged the government to similarly raise the federal age for purchase.

Lawyers for both Watson and Dick’s declined to comment, saying the settlement details are confidential.

Jim Oleske, a professor at Lewis and Clark Law School specializing in anti-discrimination law, said people settle for a variety of reasons, but he thinks Watson had a good case against Dick’s.

“From the text of the statute, it looked like a very strong case,” said Oleske.

Oleske said it’s unusual that Dick’s hasn’t changed its policy as a result of the settlement.

“Any other individual could go into any one of their stores, attempt to make a purchase and if they’re turned away bring a lawsuit,” he said. “The question is, why is Dick’s settling?”

Earlier this week, Forbes reported that Dick’s is considering removing all hunting gear from its stores, and has already done so in 10 pilot stores.

Walmart also raised the minimum age to buy a firearm and Watson has a similar lawsuit pending against them.

That trial is scheduled to start in January 2019.

31-Dec-18
More TDS !

31-Dec-18
If the kid was looking to make a point,,, He shouldn’t have accepted a settlement.

31-Dec-18
Bow .....one case is about religious beliefs, the other is not. Two different scenarios

31-Dec-18
"Bow .....one case is about religious beliefs, the other is not. Two different scenarios"

Uh....no. In both cases a private business decided who it was going to do business with. In both cases holy hell was raised, but for diametrically opposite reasons. Like I said "their hypocrisy knows no bounds."

For the record, my views on the 2A run far to the right. Just not a fan of hypocrisy OR the feds dictating to a private business who they can or cannot do business with.

31-Dec-18
g-man's alright. He does make you think, but he does have a severe case of josh!

31-Dec-18
I agree Tom. Walmart has the right to run their business as they choose, I just don't want the government dictating it. But, if Walmart chooses to discriminate because of age that is hypocrisy.

31-Dec-18
TG,

What’s the basis for Walmart’s discrimination? And how is it hypocrisy?

So you agree then that refusing to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple sexual orientation discrimination?

31-Dec-18
Personally, I think Walmart has the right to put the age limit to 40 if they choose. I mentioned descrimination because of they claim to not descriminate by race, religion, gender, ect...I'm sure there is an age descrimination thrown in there also.

As far as not baking a cake for a lesbian couple goes, I think a private company has the right to trade with whomever they choose. Just as if a Muslim owner of a bakery refused to bake a cake for me because I'm not a Muslim, he has that right...or he should have that right. Makes no ddifference to me what Walmart does. I was just making a point that some companies have a policy of non discrimination, they discriminate in some form or fashion.

31-Dec-18
Like the company I work for, they discriminate on a regular basis. I can either do what I can to change it or find another job. I just think whenever the government gets involved beyond the basics, they end up making things worse.

01-Jan-19
State law saying 18 for a second amendment right and selling only to 21 is age discrimination. Walmart will play this until it loses then quit selling firearms in that state. Business decision on their part.

1st amendment freedom of religion vs discrimination on marriage is touchy. Where does one person's rights begin and another end? It ultimately falls in favor of the religious freedom and private business aspect. Personally, I don't really get why you'd have a business and not try to sell it to as many people as you can.

01-Jan-19
Apples and oranges. The baker refuses to make gay wedding cakes for anyone regardless of sexual orientation. No one could go in there and buy a gay wedding cake. They are happy to bake a birthday cake for anyone straight, gay, fluid, bi, whatever.

They aren't refusing service to a person or class. They just don't bake that product. They bake anniversary cakes but shouldn't be forced to bake cakes for nazis (or anyone) celebrating the anniversary of MLKs assassination.

Not saying businesses should be forced to sell him firearms, just explaining that one case is refusing to make a product for anyone and the other case is age discrimination against a class of people (adults under 21).

01-Jan-19
Maybe they need to raise the age to join the military to 21

01-Jan-19
and have women register for selective service.....

01-Jan-19
"Apples and oranges. The baker refuses to make gay wedding cakes for anyone regardless of sexual orientation. No one could go in there and buy a gay wedding cake. They are happy to bake a birthday cake for anyone straight, gay, fluid, bi, whatever."

That's THE definition of discrimination. Refusal to sell a product or service based on sexual orientation. They ARE refusing service to a person or class. Try not renting to a gay couple. Or hiring a transgender. And your argument is the purest definition of hypocrisy.

"Personally, I don't really get why you'd have a business and not try to sell it to as many people as you can."

Agreed.

01-Jan-19
Seriously? A black seamstress should have to sew white hoods for KKK members?

01-Jan-19
"Seriously? A black seamstress should have to sew white hoods for KKK members?"

Pretty sure I defended a private business decision to do business with whom they choose. I merely pointed the hypocrisy of those defending the baker while screaming discrimination against Dick's. Your stance is such that the feds should be able to force a black seamstress TO sew white hoods for the KKK.

Being obtuse is NOT a virtue.

01-Jan-19
If I dont like Walmart's policy or any store for that matter, I can take my business elsewhere. Last thing I want is the gov getting involved...they already too involved as it is.

01-Jan-19
I stated I wasn't saying Dicks should be forced to sell to him. I'm not included in those screaming about it. I was just pointing out that not making products for events that go against the baker's religious convictions is different than discriminating based on age. A wedding cake is more art than it is just flour and sugar. Seems silly to force an artist to paint something they morally object to. Since he's willing sell homosexuals cookies, birthday cakes, and welcome home cakes, I feel he demonstrated its about the product.

I feel the baker's protections based on his religion Trump the homosexuals right (is there one?) to force him to create a cake for their wedding.

• Sitka Gear