Will 07-Nov-18
Shuteye 07-Nov-18
2bears1757 07-Nov-18
mn_archer 08-Nov-18
Will 08-Nov-18
mn_archer 08-Nov-18
Will 09-Nov-18
07-Nov-18
This may really be a main forum post, but since it's gun based I figured the CF made more sense.

Last spring my old truglo red dot on my SG died. I discovered this while drawing a bead on a turkey, and literally the whole inside of the scope was lit up red! ha ha ha!

I ended up hunting the rest of the season with the sight on my turkey barrel. But am thinking of putting a scope on again for deer season, and I just really like red dots.

In my research last spring, lots of folks noted SG's break red dot's - at least the relatively affordable ones - pretty consistently.

I'm curious what you guys would suggest, in terms of brands/models, of red dot's for a SG used for turkey and deer?

Thanks for your insight!

(I dont have a rifled barrel for deer, I just change out the choke to the most open one I have (Improved cylinder I believe) and use rifled slugs... For turkey I just put on my turkey choke, and "re" pattern the gun)

07-Nov-18
Total bs. One of my best friends and shooting buddies just won the world shotgun championships last August.

His shotguns are ak pattern which are notoriously hard on accessories. All of his shotguns run 2 dots. 1 straight on top and 1 at 45 degrees to the right. He ran over 50,000 rounds through his main shotgun last year preparing for the world shoot and had no failures with either optic.

What is your budget?

if you have the cash get a Vortex Razor. If you are on a budget they have a Viper and Venom- either will be awesome for your application.

Best thing is an unconditional lifetime warranty. If for any reason it fails send it in for free repair or replacement.

07-Nov-18

Straight —» Arrow's Link
These don't break easy but they are on the expensive side.

http://www.eotechinc.com/holographic-weapon-sights/mini-red-dot-sight-mrds

07-Nov-18
eotech is NOT what he wants for his application- or really just about any application

07-Nov-18
Nice.....I think I like the vortex better! I always go for the smaller dot. I'd like to get one on a semi-automatic pistol next.

I have an Eotech XPS 2-0 with a G33 3x magnifier on my zombie apocalypse a/r-15.

07-Nov-18
why don't you like the eotech?

07-Nov-18
+1 for the Vortex, get the best model you can afford. They simply work and the warranty is awesome.

07-Nov-18
Bang for the buck I like Vortex products.

07-Nov-18
Thanks guys! The gun is a basic Mossberg 550, I paid only like 350 ish for it if I remember correctly (possibly less), so it feels odd to put an expensive scope on it. Thus I'd love to be under 200 if possible.

Ill check those out, Vortex and Barska in particular. The other one sounds like an awesome scope, but better for someone doing more shooting than I do.

I appreciate the ideas folks!

07-Nov-18
I have red dots and battery powered reticles on shotguns, pistols, rifles and muzzle loaders. I like the ones with adjustable reticles. You can adjust the brightness and mine can be green or red crosshairs or dots. Go to Cabelas and they have dozens of different models and you can look at them and pick what you like. You can spend a lot but some of the medium price optics are very good. I have a S&W M&P 15 22 with a red dot that I kill lots of squirrels with. I buy batteries at Sam's Club and get a pack of ten batteries for less than $10. The batteries last a long time but I always carry spares with me.

07-Nov-18
the vortex answer to the eotech holographic site is also 1 moa.

07-Nov-18
An Eotech is going to be very wide for a Mossberg 500, more expensive than he wants to spend and I get rid of all mine after they falsified records to the military with regard to cold weather performance. Vortex is the way to go for a turkey gun.

08-Nov-18
I shoot a lot of 3 gun competitions all across the US. I've not seen a single eotech at a match and for good reason.

The only widespread use of them is in the military and right now the military is buying a lot of Vortex optics. It's true, I dont like them and that's because they are junk and outdated. There are far better options out there ESPECIALLY on a shotgun.

08-Nov-18
MN, You are saying err to Vortex, correct? I've lightly looked at them a bit, and was surprised, they have some nice looking options in the 150-275 range that may work well. I think that's the route Ill go based on what Ive seen so far...

08-Nov-18
Will for what you want a vortex venom or viper red dot is about perfect and budget friendly.

09-Nov-18
Thanks MN!

• Sitka Gear