Annony Mouse 19-Nov-18
elkmtngear 21-Nov-18
osage 21-Nov-18
DL 21-Nov-18
DL 21-Nov-18
slade 23-Nov-18
09-Nov-18

09-Nov-18
Yeah, it's a bad one. Here in the North Bay we are socked in with smoke. Yesterday morning I saw the smoke and thought we had another bad local fire. I thought, "oh shit, not again", but this fire is over 100 miles away.

09-Nov-18
This goes on in CA every year. I wish that more Conservatives would move from CA to CO because we have been invaded with Liberals that have changed our great state from a solid Red State to a Blue State.

09-Nov-18
130,000 acres burned so far with 5% containment. Entire town of Paradise is completely gone (27,000 people lived there). 6 fatalities that are known. Temp dropped 17 degrees because the sun was completely blocked out by smoke. More high winds expected which will make it nearly impossible to get control of the fire.

09-Nov-18
If CA is anything like AZ logging was shutdown for a long times because of tree hugger law suits. Tree density went from 50 trees per acre early 1900's to 1000 trees per acre.

At least they (tree huggers) came to their senses after all the wild fires that destroyed thousands and thousands of acres of ponderosa pine. The have agreed to allow logging with all trees smaller than 14" allowed to be harvested.

They have started this logging in areas surrounding communities. My small community (250 homes, a dozen full time residents) is now protected on 3 sides. Hopefully they will do the other side this winter/spring.

Added benefit of the tree thinning is the growth of grass and forbs on the forest floor. This should cause an increase of elk and deer using this area. Another benefit, is predation from mt. lions should decrease as visibility for the game animals is increased.

Terry

09-Nov-18
This is just heart breaking.

09-Nov-18
An entire town being wiped out is tragic on an epic level...

10-Nov-18
6400 homes, gone...200 businesses!

10-Nov-18
Nine people dead as of this morning.

10-Nov-18
Trump is correct - gross mismanagement of the National Forests due to one spotted owl lawsuit after another. All of this burned timber will now be clogging up the streams and once the rains began, the runoff and landslides will start. It will be decades to recover, if ever. All this death and destruction is due to the tree huggers and their gang of lawyers wanting it all for themselves.

10-Nov-18
Trump is putting it on the state to manage the National Forest. He tweeted that Federal Funding would stop if the forest was continually mismanaged. While I agree with him on most things, he has got this one wrong or, he is doing it for affect. The NFS manages the National Forests with public input mandatory. Therefore, the "great" liberals in California and, in the NFS are to blame for this. Not the state.

Good ideas and cowardly leadership lead to mishaps like this. Every one responsible for these forest under stories to be polluted with debris need to be held accountable for the losses. From the Sierra Club all the way through to the Department of Agriculture employees. Including their attorneys fighting to stop logging and the federal judges over ruling SCIENTIFIC forest management practices required to minimize the effects of these fires. .

12-Nov-18

'Ike' (Phone)'s Link
Death toll at 42 and will continue to rise...

12-Nov-18
It’s tragic . After the Oakland Hills Fire I went out and every tree close to my house I cut down. Living in a pine forest is a crap shoot. It’s just a matter of time until something like this happens. Some folks are enamored by living beneath towering trees. I’m not one of them. In 1982 I was caught out in the Santa Cruz mountains during a massive storm and flood. The aftermath of seeing redwood trees leveling houses woke me up to not wanting to live under trees. Some years back I read about a man that bought a few acres and a home in Paradise. He bought it to harvest all the pine trees off of it and then put it back up for sale. Residents there were furious about him doing this. I can’t imagine the horror of trying to evacuate and it getting so bad that people bailed out of their cars to try and run away from the fire.

12-Nov-18
Death toll not at 49 with more to come.

13-Nov-18
I grew up in NorCal. Been to Paradise many times. How the hell to you lose the entire town of Paradise???? WTF?..... how..... with all the equipment available..... how???

Lately it's been "let the fire go.... it's mother nature...." yeah but it's not your house on the line azzhole. Somebodies azz in gonna be in a sling.... they fell asleep at the wheel..... on multiple levels.

13-Nov-18
Except now some of those that said let the fires go have now lost their mansions...

13-Nov-18
People are enamired with natural management. It sounds cool, earthy, cultured, and in balance. Reality says with things like this it is truly only a time bomb though. When humans interact with nature by bringing a bit of the wild into their immediate lives, it takes more thought, planning, and prevention then how the rest of their daily lives go. So, few are truly prepared for what nature can do when we neglect to prepare for it with human interest considered.

I’ve spent a lot of time on fire lines all the way up to incident commanders on big federally funded suppression campaigns. A fire in a coniferous forest, that has the conditions in its favor is a BOMB waiting to explode. They generate their own weather. And, when you add in steep terrain, extremely dry conditions, and the winds that beast generates added to the natural wind, it truly becomes a monster of its own. No equipment will stop it. Nothing.

I’ve seen them head up, charge several thousand feet up a steep slope, devouring everything in its path. In MERE seconds. Not a half a minute. The body of the fire is quick to follow with wind forces and the heat generated by these runs. I’ve seen fire several hundred feet in the air when it crests like like. A huge ball of debri and inferno tossed like a ball. That lands on the back valley or the next mountain due to these hard runs. It simply is the most dangerous, destructive force nature has.

I’m not trying to steal the show. Or impress anyone. There is no chance to be a brave soul on these things. You do your best, back up, build a line far enough away and in terrain to hopefully get a successful back burn, all while hammering it with planes of water and suppresent. To only loose it a good bit of the time.

Standing with a mile or two of one of these things when they start cooking will give you a good idea of what they can do. They start rumbling like a bunch if trains. If vibrates through your body. The noise gets so loud you can’t hear the man next to you talking. It is simply something you’d have to see to understand just how untamable they can be. When conditions are right, fuel and weather wise, nothing can stop it but the ocean. And they can go from a puttering around little brush fire, to a literal fire bomb in less time then it took me to type this. Which was about 5 minutes.

13-Nov-18

DL's Link
I talked with someone south of there the day it blew up. Wind gusts up to 40mph. Can you imagine a fire coming through at 40 mph? Not a darn thing anyone can do especially if the fire is crowning. It’s raining fire embers. They hit roofs roll into gutters loaded with pine needles. The fire came through so fast people couldn’t drive out fast enough.

13-Nov-18
WV you are correct, fires in these conditions are unstoppable.

A couple of points, however. All the current fires are pretty much on state and private land. I'm not sure you can blame the feds for these.

They need fire on the landscape when conditions aren't so bad. Nobody likes it, but that's the only way to reduce the fuel. Otherwise it will burn under the absolute worst conditions, like now.

I can tell you almost every piece of ground in the West will burn at some point. Might not be in our lifetimes, but it will burn. Sooner or later we will realize we need to choose the conditions when fire happens instead of waiting for the fire to dictate the terms. The solution is not just logging, as much of this country doesn't have anything merchantable. There needs to be some mechanical thinning and we need to follow it with fire, the more frequent the better in these wildland urban interface areas.

The images I see from these fires are heartbreaking. 41 deaths so far, that is a tragedy. I am not sure these events are preventable, but we can damn sure reduce fuel loads and make homes and communities more defensible, and hopefully avoid the loss of life we've been seeing on these big fires in the recent past and today.

As far as property, all that is replaceable. But lives lost is unacceptable.

13-Nov-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Watching the aircraft fighting the fire near Malibu. These pilots are beyond Ballsy. This picture really is amazing. I realize it’s an optical illusion but it’s still impressive. I live across the freeway from where the Holy Fire was burning. We went out and watched the air attack using DC10s and 747.

13-Nov-18

elkmtngear's Link
The Paradise fire was moving at 80 acres per minute at one point. You're pretty much on defense only at that point.

Jerry Brown vetoed a Bipartisan Fire Management bill back in 2016. Probably needed the money for more "important" things, like making sure we enable more homeless, to start more fires! See link

13-Nov-18

DL's Link
PG&E might have caused another major fire

13-Nov-18
SmokedTrout is dead on. Controlled burning and other methods to thin, reduce, and Minimize fuel layers is the key. On human terms we can control it. When left to it’s own devices unchecked, we become victims to it.

One fella that flew most of the fires I worked for a couple years, was a retired Air Force pilot. He flew planes and helicopters. That guy was unbelievable what he could and would do dropping on a fire. He was the best eyes and advisor a guy could have on where the fire was going to run, where he needed to concentrate his drops, for finding naturally occurring contour breaks and fire lines, etc..... He got a lot of that knowledge flying and fighting fires in Alaska. He was truly invaluable.

All the wild land fire fighting pilots I’ve ever worked with had nerves of steel and incredible ability. They sure made the ground crews feel better when they were working the fire. Made our jobs a lot easier too.

I enjoyed it but, it is definitely a tough job. Hardest work, most hurt and fatigued I’ve ever been was while doing it. It’s a young mans game. Takes a lot out of you. I don’t miss it now at all. Not one bit.

13-Nov-18
PG&E will file bankruptcy after this one, writing is on the wall...

13-Nov-18
The rate payers pay for fines or lawsuits. Too bad they can’t go after the board and ceos.

13-Nov-18

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo

'Ike' (Phone)'s Link
The Camp Fire...

13-Nov-18

WV Mountaineer's Link
Small taste if what it can do. In flat ground. In one minute it comes, gets to 2000 degrees, and devours everything in site with that kind of heat. Add 40 mph winds and some slope steepness and you could increase the temp and temperature exponentially.

13-Nov-18
Thanks WV, that hit home..

13-Nov-18
Been there...survived the firestorms in Western Montana in 2000. Finally had to bail on my place with the firetrucks on my heels! Dealt with the chokeing smoke for months before it finally over took our little valley. That was a BAD summer in Mt.

13-Nov-18
Where I used to live we had the Cleveland Fire. Started in the 5000’ elevation. There was a news crew filming up in some steep country. They were filming out the windshield as they were driving. They were in s logging road in very steep terrain. The driver slammed in the brakes and put the van in reverse and floored it. Less than 100 yards away a wall of flames went shooting across the road and uphill. It looked like a train going by, it was that fast. It was shocking how fast it was. WVs link is crazy. Now put that same fire on a steep grade with 40 mph winds. I live across the fwy from the Holy Fire that burnt earlier this summer. Watching the Woolsey Fire on the news right now

13-Nov-18
Terrible, and terribly scary situation!

Amazing vid WV, and description of what occurs. Makes a lot of sense. It also makes a lot of sense that controlled burns etc would really help reduce these from happening in the future.

Curious though, with such large expanses, can those strategies work? or more so logging etc?

13-Nov-18
Controlled burning is used by a lot of private timber companies to suppress unwanted regeneration to get planted seedlings started, prep the soil with nitrogen releases, and create under growth explosion in coniferous forest once crown closure has occurred. It is also very effective to prep soil beds right before harvest as well to release seeds from cones. It honestly has so many applications for good forest and wildlife management, most of the corporate owned forestry lands are practicing it or did practice it. So are many of the federal agencies on public land as well. Unfortunately, it has lost favoritism due to cost and public perception over the last 20 years. But, there is far more ground being controlled burned then what most realize. Even though, it does make up a small amount of total land base.

I told you that to make this more understandable. If the far west wasn't eat up with fairy tale prescribing environmentalists, bent on stopping all things except humans living in loin cloths and eating seeds and grubs, Private Forest industry and the feds would prescribe and burn many more areas in the name of real forest and wildlife management. But, under current pubic perception, that isn't likely to happen. If it were put in rotation on good growing ground, it would eliminate a good amount of grounds not currently under such management practices. This could be done at a huge net gain for all public entity's using public land, except the neo- environmental hippie that believes we don't belong in nature. Plus put a real monetary gain in the federal deficit over time.

The NFS used to be self sustaining until lawsuits stopped it. It's still a wander why in times of such deficit, they aren't more proactive in working that way again. The gains would be all around in local economies, healthier forest ecosystems, and better wildlife habitat. Plus help eliminate situations where these fires have so much fuel to grow so big and uncontrollable.

With all that, where controlled burning should be utilized without question is in areas of risk around metropolitan development. But like SmokedTrout pointed out, nobody wants that. Nobody wants to acknowledge the fact that controlled burning, mechanized logging, or anything removing brush not suitable for logging, could be not only beneficial to their environment but down right life saving. So, they protest it because it isn't pretty and neat when going on. Instead they would rather go along living in a ticking fire bomb and, blame everyone but themselves when it goes off.

It is just another example of where liberal beliefs, policy, and living takes into no account of it's real world consequences. It is a shame and, with Climate change being as real today as it has ever been, it can get much worse. The west is hotter and drier then it has been in a long time. That is due to meteorological influences and not man caused. Yet, well funded environmentalist have the influence to see that reality hid behind diversion and lies.

14-Nov-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Those aren’t fall colors. It’s dead trees here. It’s a fact that there are more conifer trees in the state than there was well over 100 years ago. trees are always over planted after logging. Lawsuits keep trees from being thinned of dead and dying trees removed. When there’s drought there’s only enough water for a fraction of the trees there. If they aren’t thinned this is the result in the picture. Southern California fires are totally different. The fuel there is brush and scrub oaks. Really steep country and high winds. When Santa Ana winds blow from the desert to the coast not Much can be done. When they start blowing it also brings out the fire starters.

14-Nov-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Here’s another view of our forest floors.

14-Nov-18
The farmer that had 500 acres of corn, soy beans, hay and wheat was right across the road from where I live. Right across from our house was a small woods, probably about 20 acres. Every year, right after hunting season, when the wind was right, he would set the woods on fire. The wind would be blowing to an open field and man would it get going. The woods was all hardwood trees and lots of honeysuckle, grass and green briars. The ground would be clean after the fire. As soon as spring started warming up the whole place would be green with plants coming up. It was the best rabbit hunting spot I ever had, every year. The farmer died about 15 years ago and the woods is no longer burnt off. Plenty of deer but very few rabbits now.

In Delaware, every spring the marshes catch on fire. With a West wind the smoke blows out to the Delaware Bay. The say it is against the law but it is done every year and the police don't bother anyone for setting the fires. It makes super good habitat for muskrats and ducks when the swamps grow back up. Trappers are getting less and less so I bet the marshes won't be burnt much longer and that will be a shame.

14-Nov-18
Prayers sent, this fire is causing a lot of deaths.

14-Nov-18
I don’t know how i missed it earlier. But elkmtn put up a link saying that fire was moving at 80 acres a minute.

The way they burn, most of that movement was in one direction. Probably 80-90% of that was in a line at the head of the fire. If it was moving laterally and consumed 64 acres in one minute, that’s a distance of 13,312 linear feet per minute. That equals 120 miles per hour. If it was closer to 90% linear movement, that’s over 150 miles per hour.

These fires in conditions like this are unbelievable.

14-Nov-18
Colorado will be next. The energy of a lot of forest is in firewood, not forage. Grand and Jackson counties are largely populated with brown conifers, ready to burn.

14-Nov-18
"PG&E will file bankruptcy after this one, writing is on the wall"...

No need, Jerry Brown made sure it will all come out of the working man's back pocket

"Governor signs bill allowing utilities to increase fees to pay for fire settlements by Associated PressFriday, September 21st 2018

Jerry Brown

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Jerry Brown has signed a measure allowing utilities to bill their customers to pay for future legal settlements stemming from devastating 2017 wildfires.

Brown announced Friday he'd signed the bill, which is aimed at preventing bankruptcy for Pacific Gas & Electric Co. The massive utility faces billions of dollars in liability if investigators determine its equipment caused the Tubbs Fire that destroyed thousands of homes and killed 22 people in Santa Rosa last year.

The measure is the most hotly contested part of a wide-ranging plan to reduce the growing threat of wildfires.

The bill also requires investor-owned utilities to harden their equipment so it's less likely to cause fires. It makes it easier to clear dead trees and brush through controlled burns and other means".

14-Nov-18
Any new power lines should be put under ground, where possible.

14-Nov-18
WV - Ill add to your info - which is really interesting and helpful, thanks for it! Logging creates edges and habitat gradients that are awesome for all kinds of creatures.

Some level of common sense reg's should be there, water buffers etc... But overall, doing good logging is so good for the forest.

This stuff does remind me of a very small (comparatively) local issue here I was involved with. I was on a property committee that helped manage just under 1K acres in my home town and an adjacent town, which was owned by an NPO in the form of a regional land trust. A few fields had been hayed 2x year from, well, at least 100yrs, but it's possible they were hayed as far back as the late 1700's. The local dairy farmer did the haying - the ONLY dairy farmer still eking out a living at that time (RIP - passed away a couple years ago now). Well, the NPO was worried about the bobolinks nesting time frame in the field and wanted to shut down the haying to keep the fledgling bobolink's safe. This was a substantial part of the farmers business, not to mention, it was he, and his father before him who'd kept the field open via haying for, literally, 100 years.

When I asked the "Environmentalist" from the NPO how the bobolink's would do if the field was never hayed again and returned to forest... or how the bobolinks would have done, had the field never been there - since MA was historically close to 100% forested, the look of: "Oh crap, handnt thought of that" seemed entertaining, especially to the dairy farmer!

I'm all for environmental stewardship and using science to help with that... But man, there has to be a balance point between "we should do nothing" (CA burning) and "we have an impact, and should responsibly care for the amazing lands we are lucky to live upon".

Hopefully when this is done, CA becomes an example for all regions on how to better manage forests for their health, and ours. Because if the massive losses incurred by the fires in CA, and the west in general over what, the last 10 years or 15 years, is not a good lesson that we need to evolve... I dont know what would be.

14-Nov-18
100+ on the list of missing, with a majority in their 70’s to 90’s! Have a feeling the fatality numbers are going to continue to go up...

14-Nov-18
Damn Ike... just keeps getting worse!

14-Nov-18
California has more of a "landscape maintenance" problem in suburbia than a forest problem. Not to say forests couldn't use more management, but recently the deadly fires there are suburban issues.

Seriously, I look at those subdivisions in the hills, even the mansion subdivisions, and they look like stacked cordwood with piles of kindling in between. Add steep hills, drought, and high winds? Good luck.

Ike that is truly grim news.

14-Nov-18
Nope, not a good situation at all...Up to 56 confirmed fatalities now and 10,000+ buildings destroyed, of which 8600 are homes!

14-Nov-18

'Ike' (Phone)'s Link
Latest news and a missing list...As you can see by the ages, not much chance a lot of them got out of the way...This Fire was a beast!

14-Nov-18
CA Gov. Jerry Brown Vetoed 2016 Wildfire Management Bill While CA Burned

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 12.56.21 PM

Every governor has signed regretful legislation, or made a disastrous pardon he or she would like a chance to re-do. California’s whacky outgoing Democrat governor has spent the last eight years trying to convince the people of California that we are to blame for droughts, wildfires and “extreme weather,” and that climate change is an existential threat to the California way of life. Showing no regrets, Gov. Jerry Brown calls the people “freeloaders,” and “deniers,” and has mocked our “little green lawns.” Brown even spitefully signed legislation subjecting every man, woman and child to 50 gallons of water a day in the near future… despite the state’s 189,454 miles of rivers, and that large body of water California sits on.

Last year, as California residents were burned out of their towns, homes, neighborhoods, schols, hospitals and businesses, Gov. Jerry Brown was jetting around the world spouting climate change propaganda, and calling the fires California’s “new normal.” Gov. Brown had many chances to sincerely and realistically address California’s increasing wildfires since his election in 2011, but instead chose to play politics, placing his new friends at the United Nations over the people of California.

What many do not know, is that California Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed a bipartisan wildfire management bill in 2016, despite unanimous passage by the Legislature, 75-0 in the Assembly and 39-0 in the Senate. SB 1463 would have given local governments more say in fire-prevention efforts through the Public Utilities Commission proceeding making maps of fire hazard areas around utility lines. In a gross display of politics, this is especially pertinent given that Cal Fire and the state’s media are now blaming the largest utility in the state for the latest wildfires.

While hindsight is always 20-20, California was on fire when this bill made its way through the Legislature and on to Jerry Brown’s desk.

The 129 million dead trees throughout California’s state and national forests are now serving as matchsticks and kindling.

With California on fire once again in the North and the South parts of the state, Gov. Jerry Brown continues his bizarre claims that devastating fires are the “new normal” and a result of climate change. Only Brown updated his phrase: “’This is not the new normal,’ he said, employing a phrase that state leaders have used to describe the past two deadly, prolonged California fire seasons,” the Sacramento Bee reported. “’This is the new abnormal, and this new abnormal will continue certainly in the next 10 to 15 years.’”

Yet, the same climate change impacts private lands as public lands, but private forests are not burning down because they are properly managed.

(continued at link)

15-Nov-18
Here's a hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? for ya!

Interesting...California wildfires map lines up with proposed high speed rail for California

more images at link

"...This looks like an interesting piece of evidence when discussing the wildfires...Or so called wild fires all over the State of California. Basically all you have to do is search a California wildfires map in the last year or so and put the map of the proposed California high speed rail system continually being pushed by the far left government of California. What do you get when placing these images next to each other...Well it just so happens that the California wildfires happen to be all located along the proposed lines of the California high speed rail project..."

15-Nov-18

Will's Link
http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/aluminum-foil/heavy-duty-foil/

I wanted to leave this... Just in case. ;)

That said, it was amazing today to see overlay's of the fire sizes on different regions of the US. CRAZY! Amazing to think how significant these are in scope and magnitude.

15-Nov-18
According to KCRA 3 officials are saying there are over 600 unaccounted for.

I read one girls escape out of the evacuation. She was rear ended while driving and ended up in a ravine. She got out and tried to get into an abandoned vehicle but the door handles were melted off. She started running and her pants burst into flames because of the heat. She said her throat was bleeding from the super heated air she was breathing. She saw a fire engine and to it. She said it was melting from the heat(plastic and maybe aluminum) anfirrman grabbed her and pulled in. He said hang on we might not make it out.

15-Nov-18

'Ike' (Phone)'s Link
Numbers continue to grow...Up to 63 fatalities! 9700 homes destroyed...Crazy!

15-Nov-18
Crazy times.

A few months ago, we had a fire almost burn down town, but for some heroic efforts by local firefighters setting a backfire and planes swooping in. My kid's mom drove off with the kids and a bomber doused the house and driveway which allowed them to leave and saved the house. I still have phos chek on my truck. I almost lost everything - house, family, everything. They only had time to get the dogs in the car and drove through flames and sparks. It's amazing how fast it happens. I was weathered in out in a remote village on the north slope in AK at work. The feeling of helplessness was something I hope to never feel again. My neighbors on one side lost everything.

16-Nov-18

'Ike' (Phone)'s Link
71 fatalities now with up to 1000 missing now...

18-Nov-18

18-Nov-18
19-Nov-18
77 fatalities and that number will continue to go up, as the missing list continues to grow! Rain in the forecast, finally...

19-Nov-18
Won't see this topping the headlines...

Gov. Jerry Brown Quietly Admits Trump Was Right, Eases California Logging Rules

November 19, 2018

California Gov. Jerry Brown appears to have quietly admitted President Donald Trump's suggestion about improving California forestry was correct and is now urging state lawmakers to loosen restrictive logging regulations put in place to appease environmentalists.

The Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that Brown is proposing one of the most significant changes to the state's logging rules in nearly half a century.

"Gov. Jerry Brown is proposing broad new changes to California’s logging rules that would allow landowners to cut larger trees and build temporary roads without obtaining a permit as a way to thin more forests across the state," the paper reports.

Environmentalists in California aren't on board. They've been pushing for years to make California's logging rules more restrictive, not less, but in the wake of the deadly forest fires that ripped through the state this month, prominent lawmakers believe a change must be made before more people die from a preventable situation.

"Under Brown’s proposal, private landowners would be able to cut trees up to 36 inches in diameter — up from the current 26 inches — on property 300 acres or less without getting a timber harvest permit from the state, as long as their purpose was to thin forests to reduce fire risk," the Sentinel reports. "They also would be able to build roads of up to 600 feet long without getting a permit, as long as they repaired and replanted them."

Forests, particularly in northern California, California lawmakers admit, have become dangerously overgrown. But there's currently little incentive for landowners to clear their trees — they are only allowed to clear dead and decaying wood and undergrowth and can't clear healthy tress. By allowing landowners to recover some money from the process — letting them create and sell lumber, for instance — it could incentivize them to make bigger changes.

Environmentalists say they're worried landowners will go way too far, cutting down ancient redwoods or clear-cutting property, but even the most ardent environmentalist admits that some thinning is needed.

This is a big change from two weeks ago, when Gov. Jerry Brown balked at President Donald Trump's suggestion that poor forestry and poor forest management might be to blame for the massive wildfires that ripped through northern and southern California earlier this month, claiming dozens of lives and tens of thousands of acres.

“There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor,” the president tweeted while he was in France observing the 100th anniversary of the armistice that ended World War I. “Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!”

“Our focus is on the Californians impacted by these fires and the first responders and firefighters working around the clock to save lives and property — not on the president’s inane, uninformed tweets," Brown's office responded.

Instead, Brown blamed global warming for the uptick in fires.

The president may not have been wholly correct but it seems he was certainly on to something.

21-Nov-18

elkmtngear's Link
Now, here's an NFL Player I can respect:

"Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers donates $1 million to Camp Fire victims"

(see link for story)

21-Nov-18
Rain began this AM. Predictions are for heavy runoff and landslides in burned areas. I don't see any environmentalists volunteering for cleanup duties.

21-Nov-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

21-Nov-18

DL's Link
This is sad to see. So many people left their pets. I realize many had no choice but that’s the first thing I’m loading up. I saw a video of one fireman that found a cat. It was so happy to see him it climbed up on his shoulder and won’t leave him.

23-Nov-18
DL,

A childhood friend is there with a animal rescue team & veterinarians...

• Sitka Gear