Michael 11-Nov-18
Your fav poster 11-Nov-18
Michael 11-Nov-18
Fivers 12-Nov-18
Michael 13-Nov-18
WV Mountaineer 13-Nov-18
Mint 13-Nov-18
10-Nov-18
Gun hunting I'm ready to not be in a tree, and in fairness, it really becomes scouting for next year for me. It's just not my deal. I do it, but have only shot one with a gun over my 29 years of hunting. As a result, I only hunt from a tree occasionally with the gun - my climber. Generally I do that in a spot where there is clear buck sign but I need more visibility.

Otherwise, gun season for me is a whole lot of hiking the lands I can hunt looking at how the sign has changed over bow season, occasionally sitting on my nif-t-seat to see a sunset or sunrise.

Turkeys, that's different, all gun all the time and enjoy the heck out of it... But deer, it's just time to go for hikes for me - for the most part.

10-Nov-18
I have two man ladder stands and one man ladder stands and a ground blind. I have killed bunches of deer from all of them. I generally decide which stand to go to depending on the wind. If it is raining I go to the ground blind which is very comfortable. I bowhunt, muzzle loader hunt and shotgun hunt from all of them. I own a 40 acre woods that I live on so I can leave my stands up year round. I have some nice bucks on my property but mainly hunt mature does. I have often let small 8 point bucks walk by to shoot a big doe. However, if using a single shot muzzle loading pistol, I will shoot almost any sizable deer I can get the bead on. I used to shoot ten a year but now only need three or four.

10-Nov-18

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Mo rifle opened today Jeff. I purchase a rifle tag and bow hunt. Like you, I hung my LW this AM in 14 degree weather.

20 minutes after legal shooting I hear running in the leaves

I grab my bow, stand up and clip the release on. She stops 2 yards from my stand, falls 15 yards away.

I look up to see a 150-160" class deer at 20 yards with no shot opportunity. He gets nervous, circles down wind at about 40 yards, and then leaves.

Congrats on a nice buck Jeff!

10-Nov-18
Nice buck!

I would not pass on the buck you shot this year on my own farm. I have taken some really nice bucks, all by luck. I am not a trophy hunter at all, but have no problem with others doing their thing.

Good luck on a doe. That was my third anterless for this season, two off our MO farm one from our KS home.

10-Nov-18

Bowbender's embedded Photo
29-Sept-2018 First day success.
29-Sept-2018 First day success.
18-Oct-2018. My son Matt's first archery buck.
18-Oct-2018. My son Matt's first archery buck.
03-Nov-2018 I tagged out with this 8 point.
03-Nov-2018 I tagged out with this 8 point.
I typically use my stands for both archery and rifle. Since this thread is gonna morph, (sorry KP) here's my log to throw on the fire....

10-Nov-18
Great morning in CT. Windy as hell and my tree was doing some serious swaying. but this guy was too busy with his nose on a doe. 30 + yards out. I didn’t want him busting me with this wind so I took the shot.

I use a climber but on private property I built two stands on opposite sides of the 14 acres. I’ve switched mid hunt some days.

10-Nov-18
Picked up this gal last week from my hand built stand.

10-Nov-18
Congrats to you and your son bowbender.

Paul, congrats to you as well if that is you and your results.

Nice to see CF guys getting it done!

Congrats all.

10-Nov-18

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
Nice bucks all!

On public land up here (northern MI) I'll rifle hunt from stands and blinds. Depending on my view and who is around me....I'll rifle and bow hunt from the same stand. I do not bow hunt from blinds. I have set up blinds further back away from my bow tree stand for a rifle hunt.

I was out this morning checking cams in the fresh snow SE of Cadillac on some private land I get to hunt on. The deer were up and moving mid day.

10-Nov-18
How do you know he(?) actually shot them? Because hesheit says it did? Like it's word actually has any credibility. A lying fraud is a lying fraud.

10-Nov-18
It has no "benefits". They expired when hesheit broke it's word. All 35+.

10-Nov-18
Nice gesture Jeffrey. And yes they’re mine and that’s me.

Unless Louis knows of many people just handing over good does for the freezer

10-Nov-18

itshot's embedded Photo
itshot's embedded Photo
portable ladder climber blind, only way to go

my tree was seriously swaying too, no gals but had this toxically masculine brute giving me the business at 100+ yards, i started flinging arrows with fervor and, yes, out of fear....

he felt my intensity and was able to sidestep all of my shots and scamper swiftly, albeit nervously, away

i will never forget this day and hope to never see that animal again

10-Nov-18
Yours? Because you say so? LMAO. Like you are credible.

10-Nov-18
Lol!

I have not hunted with rifle in decades, so I really cannot answer your question. The fun in hunting for me is to figure out how they use the habitat, i.e. bedding, food, travel, so I can get close enough for a shot. I think I would still do that even if I hunted with rifle. Not sure really, sorry.

10-Nov-18
Where do you take them to? I kill mine. Makes it easier to transport them that way. ;-)

10-Nov-18
I haven’t gun hunted in years. To busy chasing deer with my bow in states with latter gun seasons.

Like JTV I prefer hang on stands. Up until last year I always used 20’ ladder sticks with them. Now I use a lone wolf with quick sticks. With this set up I can be hang and hunt in 20 minutes or less.

When I did rifle hunt there wasn’t many times I sat a stand but when I did it was in the same set up I used for bow hunting.

11-Nov-18
I hunt out of 17' two man ladder stands, much more comfortable. At my age, 67, the ladder stands are a lot safer for me than the lock-on or climber.

But I rifle hunt out of box blinds most of the time.

11-Nov-18
Congrats on the buck JTV. You put in the effort like no other bowhunter I know. Congrats bowbender.

I only use ladderstands and don’t rifle hunt. I’m just more comfortable on a ladderstand. My kids have used my archery ladderstands for rifle when they were younger. It’s good for younger hunters so they aren’t taking long shots before their skills are caught up with thier drive for hunting. Now they only bowhunt because in KS the best hunting (rut) is bow only. They like the challenge of bowhunting over rifle...me too.

11-Nov-18

WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
First doe

11-Nov-18

Second bow doe

11-Nov-18

Early doe rifle. Killed on the property where the log yard is located.

11-Nov-18
I'm a deer meat consumer. Of huge proportions. I truly prefer it to any other meat. I'd recommend buying Hank Shaw's Buck, Buck, Moose cook book and broaden your horizons on how to prepare it. It has made me an equal opportunity hunter more so then anything else. I have one bow tag left. Our rifle starts the 19th. I'll have 3 more rife tags that I will try to fill at least with one decent buck. If not, I'll have 4 more does I can kill.

To answer the Op's original question, I do in fact hunt from the same trees with a bow as I do with a gun. Here it is so steep and thick, shots are usually close anyways. Regardless of weapon. I use mostly climbing stands and, move year to year with the deer. Dang bear tore my seat off my Summit Viper last week. So, I'm back to just standing in the tree now. :^) I hunt with rifle and bow with equal enthusiasm. I love them both.

FWIW, Ii often pack my deer out. Sometimes for miles. I use a Kifaru pack frame/bag combo or, an Kuiu icon pro frame/bag combo. I put the stand in the meat shelf with the deer meat cinch it down and come out. Weights vary but, an 80 pound pack is common. Both of the bow kills came from the same tree and was 1.57 miles as the crow flies back to the truck. It was the 700 foot of elevation gain that made it tough though. When we go to the big woods to bow and rifle hunt, many of the pack outs are 3-4 miles according to a GPS and marked trail. Its why I like hunting with both weapons. You earn them regardless of what you shoot them with.

11-Nov-18

This is what he left me with. Second time this year. Stupid bears.

11-Nov-18
Congrats. Are bears active year around there, or do they hibernate? Is it legal to hunt them?

11-Nov-18
I had to edit again.

They Hibernate. We get a lot of snow and cold weather here. But, in years where food is scarce, they are often going to sleep about now. In years where soft and hard mast do well, they will stay out for awhile longer until the truly cold winter gets here in late December. Yes it is 100% legal to hunt them. I have a bear tag and always buy one. However, they are like deer in that around the last of September, they really start to move only at night. I've spent a fair amount of time hunting them with dogs but, by mid to late December, it is hard to find them. So, you give up a lot of deer hunting to drive and walk a bunch of miles trying to find a track to run. So, I quit doing it.

11-Nov-18
Thanks. Good luck filling your remaining tags.

11-Nov-18

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Congrats everyone!!! Shot this guy at 8:30 this morning.

11-Nov-18
Nice!

11-Nov-18
Congrats Michael. That didn't take long. Gotta love Kansas

11-Nov-18

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Thank you

Yeah I hunted 1 day and 1 1/2 hours. My buddy with his buck he shot 42 minutes after climbing into his stand the day he got here.

11-Nov-18
Holy crap that’s a monster! Nice job!

11-Nov-18

Michael's embedded Photo
Michael's embedded Photo
Here is a better hero shot. The first pic I took when I walked up on him.

12-Nov-18
Jeff,

Are all those deer from Indiana?

12-Nov-18
Your state has some great deer!

12-Nov-18

Fivers's embedded Photo
Fivers's embedded Photo
I gun hunt some of my bow stands, but I really like gun hunting from the ground at eye level. I bow hunt from the ground when the cover allows, because I can’t get very high up in a tree and still shoot my longbow. The shot angles can’t be very steep, due to the length of my bow, and my max range is only about 15 yards. I was finally able to fill my buck tag yesterday, after 7 years of hunting with this bow.

13-Nov-18
Nice deer Fivers! Congrats!

13-Nov-18
Congrats man. You earned him.

13-Nov-18
Nice job guys. I only hunt with my recurve or longbows for deer. Turkey I love the recurve and shotgun hunting on public land. On Long Island our deer season starts Oct 1 and ends Jan 31'st. Bow only until Jan 1 then shotgun for a month. Every time you fill a doe tag they will give you another doe tag. We have some great bucks on Long Island but we also have a lot of poachers and people who illegally bait. The hunting pressure is high so big bucks will go where you are not allowed to hunt but where the poachers will go. For me I'm happy shooting does all season long with the opportunity of getting a nice buck if I'm lucky. What usually happens though is I'm patterning a nice buck and other hunters mess up the area or someone baits and poaches him. That's why my attitude is go out and enjoy myself and be grateful with what you get. Shot a nice big doe Sunday morning and life is good.

• Sitka Gear