onX Maps
Kudos to.......Social Security Employee?
Community
Contributors to this thread:
NvaGvUp 15-Nov-18
NvaGvUp 15-Nov-18
Coyote 65 15-Nov-18
TD 16-Nov-18
NvaGvUp 16-Nov-18
HA/KS 16-Nov-18
NvaGvUp 16-Nov-18
15-Nov-18
I just have to share this, because it restores my faith in government employees and esp. because it made me laugh.

I started taking Social Security four years ago when I turned 66. Then last year, my wife decided to delay taking her SS until she turns 70, so instead took a 'spousal benefit' based on my Social Security.

We were both required to start on Medicare after she retired in 2016 and our Medicare premiums are then deducted from our Social Security payments.

So far, so good.

Until a couple of weeks ago, that is.

About that time, I got a letter from the SSA/Medicare claiming my Medicare premiums were 'past due' in the amount of ~ $2,500.

I'm thinking, "WTF?" Because my Medicare premiums are deducted at the source from my Social Security payments. So there's no way they can be past due!

About the same time, my wife got three letters in a week-ten days. The first one said they owed her ~$2,600. Soon thereafter she got a letter somewhat like the one I got saying they were reducing her November Social Security payment because she was also past due on her Medicare premiums, dating back to May of 2017!

Another "WTF?" and for the same reason.

Then a day or two later she got a bill from Medicare for over $600, again for 'past due premiums!'

One more, "WTF?"

So I called Social Security Customer Service and explained this to the guy who answered.

He took a look at all of it and agreed with me that it made absolutely no sense and suggested we visit our local SSA office, which we did this afternoon.

When they called our number, we shared our information, letters and concerns with the lady who was to help us. Then she excused herself for about :10 to check on it all.

When she returned, she had a huge smile on her face almost to the point of laughing.

She sat back down and told us, "I haven't seen anything this screwed up in a very long time!"

She told us the problem was all at their end and to disregard the letters and the Medicare bill.

I then asked her what we needed to do to fix it and she said she'd already taken care of it.

We were all smiling and laughing at that point and when we left, we thanked her profusely and complimented her on her professionalism and her diligence.

15-Nov-18
Rhody,

Don't need it in writing.

The evidence and the record are totally aligned with our position and I have NO concerns it will be fixed as promised.

It seems it all started because my wife's SS payment comes from my SS payment.

Then when the Medicare thing came up, two different people in the SSA Richmond, CA 'payment office' started working on it without knowing the other person was also working on it.

Typical SNAFU scenario.

15-Nov-18
I too had good luck with SS office. After my wife retired she received deferred income from her old employer. The old employer also supplied her with a SS ruling that her deferred income did not count towards the the ss max income you can make. She tried taking doing it by mail. Didn't work. Made an appointment with the local office. Showed up for the appointment, the lady looked at the letter, worked some computer magic and we were out of the office in 5 minutes.

Terry

16-Nov-18
90% of folks work hard, are competent and do their job well.....take pride and honor in their work even in the public sector where they have much more cover for not being competent or motivated.

It's that 10% that sticks in your mind though.....

16-Nov-18
Tip!

If you need to go into your local Social Security office, go in mid-late afternoon and your wait will be a lot shorter than if you go in earlier!

16-Nov-18
"I also took SS at age 66, and as long as I keep working and paying in to the system my benefit continues to rise about 8% per year until I am 70 years old, just as it would if I did not take it and continued to work. "

I have never heard anything like this.

I did some research and if you are now making more than you did earlier in your work career, it could increase your average income and thus your SS payment.

"For those whose prior working years produced more income – at least on an inflation-adjusted basis – it’s possible that continuing to work will generate no additional benefits at all. "

16-Nov-18
Nor have I, even though I am 70 and still working.

• Sitka Gear