JTV 01-Jan-19
TGbow 01-Jan-19
TGbow 04-Jan-19
KSflatlander 04-Jan-19
TGbow 05-Jan-19
KSflatlander 05-Jan-19
TGbow 05-Jan-19
08-Dec-18
Just finished hanging my stand at the top Western edge of an E/W draw, facing an Eastern wind.

Semi live, hopefully.

40 acres of Native Grass behind me with a 7 acre food plot that is nearly 1/2 mile long . All pictures of deer are at night, so not expecting much.

08-Dec-18
Picture would not load.

The 4 mph wind I hope is enough to keep my scent off the falling thermals after sunset. Deer typically bed at the bottom of the draw, on the south facing side during winter.

08-Dec-18
Good luck! Last muzzleloader season started here today. been freezing rain off and on all day. I may see if I can get to one of Dad's fields and hunt out of my mobile hunting blind this evening. Purists blaze away, but my 88 year old mother is griping about the lack of deer meat my 91 year old father has procured. ;)

Of course there were 7 in my garden 2 nights ago and I was too busy splitting wood after my bus route to try to sneak up with the recurve.

08-Dec-18
Good luck Salagi. I am not a purist even though I only bow hunt now. That would change as soon as we run out of venison.

08-Dec-18
Good luck, hope one filters through!

08-Dec-18
7 acre, 1/2 mile long food plot - sounds like a powerline ROW? Good luck, hope to see pictures of a successful hunt!

08-Dec-18
Hope you get one..good luck

08-Dec-18

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Well, eventful evening.

08-Dec-18

Facing down the draw.
Facing down the draw.
Thanks guys. Here is the set-up.

08-Dec-18

Native Grass behind me.

08-Dec-18
About 15 minutes before sunset, I hear loud ice cracking, behind me and a little to my left. I look, and it is a decent buck, 10 yards away and down wind, walking right to me. The ice was in the dirt burn perimeter I keep between the woods and NG.

I pick my bow off the hanger, clip my release on and put the bow in front of my face. No time to stand without being detected.

08-Dec-18
The buck stops 5 yards away, facing directly at me and looks up!

I don't move. After 20 seconds or so of staring at me he turns directly broadside, at 5 yards.

I draw and anchor quickly, still seated. I have to crouch a little to shoot under a limb.

08-Dec-18
At the release, I hear cavity hit noise followed almost simultaneously by a loud crack. He takes off down the very steep draw, crashing with loud noise as he runs. I think I see blood almost immediately, very low.

08-Dec-18
I hear him stop at the bottom of the draw, and then hear 3 wheezes, like a deer scent checking the wind. After 15 minutes I hear the same noise 6-8 more times, and then I hear faintly what I believe is a deer walking away from me.

I wait until dark to get down.

08-Dec-18
Sounds promising....

08-Dec-18
I search for the arrow to no avail. It is very dark, but I take up the trail, disappointed to find no immediate blood.

It is very difficult to walk upright on the very steep and icy sidehill. As I progress down the hill, I see where something has slid in several locations. I believe it must be that buck.

At the bottom I find a nice pool of blood.

I begin to follow his trail in the dark, with just my headlamp. After the pool there is a continuous wide, very tiny blood drop spray.

I realize I probably only got one lung. About 70 yards into the trail, I got lucky and find my arrow off to the side. It is not broke, but the broadhead somehow came unscrewed.

The arrow is soaked from one end to the other.

08-Dec-18
At this point I believe I hit low, slicing one lung and the loud crack was hitting his off side leg bone. This would explain the slide patterns observed, which ended after finding the arrow.

08-Dec-18

Blood soaked arrow, the bottom one.
Blood soaked arrow, the bottom one.

08-Dec-18
The buck started to climb the other side, only to go back down to the bottom.

He went about 250 yards so far. Easy trail to follow, until my light begins to dim.

I stop, decision time. He has not bedded once yet. I think I know about where I am at, but the draw is deep and no fading light can be seen.

I must get out before my light dies or I will spend the night there. I hesitate, knowing from the nearby yote music that if I leave I may not found him intact, if I find him at all.

It takes about 30 minutes to get where I know what direction for sure my cabin is. I am no longer on my property.

It will be a restless night. I will be truthful with the outcome tomorrow. I feel terrible. I was confident at the shot.

This is not a monster, but rather a Kelly Harris size.

I will go read the thread on trailing a one lung hit.

Again, not the outcome we strive for. I hope I find him within a short distance of where I left off. Then I will know he died fairly quickly.

Sorry to disappoint all of you, but most sorry for this beautiful creature.

08-Dec-18
Damn, Frank, my arm hairs just went straight up. ;-)

As you know, spaying is always good, dripping not so much. One-lungers won't go far if they aren't pushed. You'll find him, I'm sure.

Matt

08-Dec-18
Thanks Matt, but I am worried I did push too hard. I just kept thinking I would find him right there.

I cleaned the arrow with paper towels. A lot of blood, but very dark. No fiber, all blood.

On close inspection, the broadhead broke off, level with the insert. I will need an easy out to get the rest out. I bet I am correct about it being in the leg.

Thanks again.

08-Dec-18
Hopefully you'll find him in the morning close to where you left the trail and the coyotes will not have gotten to him. It's hard to leave a trail, but you did the right thing by backing off. Good luck in the morning!

08-Dec-18
Broadhead broke off because it was either lodged in humerus or scapula, no doubt. That's a dead deer. He won't go far.

08-Dec-18
Man, I was hoping you'd get him found tonight. With the description of the hit and the trail and since you backed out, I believe you will find him dead in the morning. I hope the coyotes won't have gotten to him, I have left some in the woods all night with the coyotes howling all around and found them untouched come morning.

08-Dec-18

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
this is where I spent most of the day ...

08-Dec-18

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
this was the efforts of the day ;0) .... I love when a long tracking job ends like this ... caught one lung, bottom of heart, she went over 400 yds ... Thats it, I'm done for the year, the one buck killed in Nov. and now this Doe, both archery tags filled .....time to chase bunnies and coyotes....

08-Dec-18
Congrats Jeff!

08-Dec-18

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
this was the exit and the heart/lungs ... caught the rear lobe of the lung, sliced the heart ... amazing the Stamina they have ... she bedded once, and was dead 50 yds past the bed ... bled the whole way, a very dark blood, sprayed and puddles .... I'm glad there was some snow on, not much but it helped ..

HfW, if your hit was like mine, you'll find him ......

09-Dec-18
Dead deer HfW. Them coyotes are unpredictable. We heard coyotes every night elk huntin 4 days. I saw 3 walk past my spot opening morning. I killed 2 elk mid morning. 3 days later as I rode past my carcasses neither had been touched. It's a crapshoot. Hopein for a good outcome for ya in the am.

09-Dec-18
I think your assessment of the shot is spot on. You'll likely find that broad head on either side of the joint where the scapula meets the leg bone. Careful guttin and cuttin up.

09-Dec-18
I'm not following this . The story starts out shooting a buck and you recovered a doe?.....

09-Dec-18
two different guys, two different states, just happens to be the same day

09-Dec-18
Good luck HfW, I agree with those who say it’s a dead deer. I also think you did the right thing backing out.

09-Dec-18
Been awake since 2AM. Now almost 6. I will begin the search in an hour.

It is 17 out, so the meat should be good if I find him.

09-Dec-18
Nowheels,

The food plot is not in a power line ROW. The native grass is surrounded by timber, which I edge feathered years ago to create bedding areas. The long food plot adjacent to these bedding areas allows for an increased number of doe units, at least theoretically, LOL. It has seemed to work based on the amount of deer captured on camera.

09-Dec-18
Headed out. Will not have service in the bottom. Will let you know as soon as possible. If it is quite a while, that means a long search is taking place. Thanks.

09-Dec-18
Good luck Frank !!!

09-Dec-18
Good luck! I also shot a small 6-pointer with my bow yesterday during our muzzleloader season. We have to wear orange and he was looking right at me when I shot. There's no way I wasn't shooting, as he was in the wide open and I have an empty freezer. Anyway, I'm not sure if that contributed to my shot placement or if I just pulled the shot, but I ended up being high and at the very back of the lungs, really only getting much lung on the far side (slight quarter away). Luckily for me, I watched him go down within 100 yards. Each and every shot deer is a little different, but hopefully you find him.

09-Dec-18
My guess FWIW.........

Based on what you've told us, you will find him either relatively quickly, or not at all. Been there done that, on more than one occasion. I sincerely hope it's the first scenario! Good luck......

09-Dec-18
Any news HforW? Hope you found him.

09-Dec-18
Good Luck ...

09-Dec-18

09-Dec-18
The above blood pile is where he first stopped after the shot.

Picked up this morning where I left off last night. My neighbor Paul, who is also a good friend that we help each other on our farms, went to dinner with me last night.

Together we took up an easy to see blood trail, easy to see his tracks and blood droplets in the snow, without the snow there would have been no chance.

09-Dec-18
Well, we followed the trail non-stop for 1/2 mile, all down low in the draw. The long trail bothered me, but staying low was a good sign, I thought.

09-Dec-18
So, (a little joke there.) The trail comes to a sudden end. His tracks are now on a major trail, so without the blood it is over.

We decide to head back cutting an angle to the trail we just walked, and sure enough I pick up blood droplets, coming from both sides.

09-Dec-18
We follow it another 1/2 mile, not exaggerating.

Still easy to follow in the snow. About half way along this trail we find a bed. The blood is not a great quantity, and it is frozen.

09-Dec-18
We are able to follow without blood because the tracks are those of a single deer.

Here's the bad news, the last 200 yards the tracks are going uphill, the most gentle part of the slope, but still a work out.

09-Dec-18
Dang, not good news. He traveled over a mile?

09-Dec-18
We follow the trail to a cut bean field. There are tracks every where, but the dirt has heated up enough from the sun that all snow has melted.

We checked the entire perimeter, on the edge and a little way inside the woods. No further sign. No crows congregating.

It appears I have made a major blunder. I feel terrible. WW, you were spot on. Guessing from the deer's reaction last night, all of the blood, I would have bet a good sum I would find him. Been on a couple hundred blood trails.

I will check some known bedding areas in the vincinity. This deer, like most bucks, was a survivor. He obviously doubled back on his trail when we lost it.

He also bedded on a bench half way up the hill where it circled around so he could watch his back trail.

Thanks for the support, sorry to disappoint all of you. It was fun to share something in common we all enjoy. Thanks.

09-Dec-18
Ryan,

No exaggeration, he did. We know because of where he travelled on mine, to an adjoining neighbor, and then unexpectedly back to Paul's.

Actually he went further than that because where we lost the trail it was easily one mile.

09-Dec-18
Doggone it. I was sure you'd find him this morning.

09-Dec-18
Damn. That doesn't look like lung blood, brother. Too dark.

My guess is the shot was low in the brisket, perhaps catching the leg on the opposite side.

Did his tracks indicate he was limping, or favoring one leg at all?

Matt

09-Dec-18
I would still think that is a dead deer ... he is out there just waiting to be found ....

09-Dec-18
If you hunt it happens. Dang good effort to find him.

09-Dec-18
Sorry about that Frank....

09-Dec-18
Thanks guys.

Matt, after i found the arrow I could not discern anything odd with his stride.

09-Dec-18
I've had the same thing happen. It never leaves you. Every time you go back to that area, you'll relive it. Sorry it turned out this way. Maybe you'll find him in a bedding area.

09-Dec-18
Keep looking for those birds, Frank. I once found a bull elk 3 days after I liver shot him by following the sounds of the magpies in heavy timber. Of course, he was spoiled and infested with maggots, but at least I have a rack to remind me that sh!t happens.

Matt

09-Dec-18
Sorry to hear Frank. You gave it a good effort. Get back out and shoot another one.

09-Dec-18
Bummer H4W! That never feels good. Maybe with one more search he appears for you... good work searching!

09-Dec-18
Sorry to hear that H4W. I had a similar situation and where we didn't find the deer, and about a week later the neighbor found him dead within 150 yards of where I first hit him, after which he led us on a day and a half track over a mile long similar to what you just went through. All you can do at this point is learn from it. I'd also do as others have said....look for buzzards and crows. .

09-Dec-18
Buzzards are gone now, but I am going back to look. After giving it some thought, he was making a big circle, but following the easy path to do it. If I am guessing right where he was bedded before he came in behind me, that is where he was headed back to.

Thanks WW.

09-Dec-18
That's what mine did. If you think about it, they're basically big rabbits, and like a rabbit they feel most secure on their home range.

Please let us know if you find him or hear/see anything about him. I like to learn as much as I can from other people's experiences as I can and compare them with mine. That's the great part about hunting, you never stop learning and asking questions.

10-Dec-18
WW,

I will definitely let everyone know. I am going back tomorrow to look for crows. Without seeing any I am going to walk the one bedding area that would have been closet to my stand that would have been on the downwind side that he came from.

He showed up 15 minutes before sunset. I am almost certain I captured him on camera, but it was a night picture that was not clear.

The rut is all but over, the second rut is never very observable in my area, probably due to a good buck/doe ratio. Only one year olds may get bred in the second rut.

So, if he was local, not trolling, and showed up at that time, his bedding area was likely very close. Does were out on the plot, he would have been able to see them from his bedding area.

If I don't find him there, I will check the timber between where I lost his trail and the bedding area. He may have been too weak to make it all the way.

Really hate to go through all of these areas as my food source is really holding the deer now. But it is the right thing to do.

Something note worthy to Matt's comment about spray versus drips. At about where I left the trail in the dark, the spray patterned ended, and then there was only drops out of both sides, which eventually became spaced even further apart and just a single drop every 8-10 feet. He was definitely sealing up, but I was wondering if the lung might have sealed also?

I like to learn as well WW, but I wish things had worked out differently. I was so sure of the shot, as I squeezed the trigger I thought "dead deer". When a person does that, they need to be humbled.

Thanks.

10-Dec-18
The old expression..."It ain't over until the fat lady sings", definitely applies to deer hunting as well. Only with us, it's more like..."It ain't over until the deer hits the ground and doesn't get up!"

10-Dec-18
So true!

My bow is on, so this is 100% my fault.

10-Dec-18
I think sometimes we get so focused on the perfect 12-ring shot that we forget about the trajectory of the arrow. I know I do. JTV's shot above is a good example. Perfect placement for a horizontal shot, but should have been a bit higher for an elevated shot.

Matt

10-Dec-18
GG, Yup, even with a lighted nock I "thought" I hit higher, 27 yd shot, cloudy day a few minutes after sunset .. then when she took off and kept going and going I'm thinking why isnt she down ?? I watched her go 200 + yds with her tail doing the cork screw .... I was like what the heck ?? ... and I had blood all the way from 10 yds from where she was standing to where I found her, sometimes a lot, sometimes spray, or just drops and it was from both sides ..... she never quit bleeding ... .. I texted my buddy, 2-4" higher and I'd have watched her go down ... but as I said, I "thought" I hit higher, so I was perplexed as she ran and ran ..

10-Dec-18
I aimed higher, but did not take into account how close he was.

Final almost over, will be headed up shortly.

10-Dec-18
No crows, beginning the search.

10-Dec-18
Nothing. Walked all of my timber and bedding areas. Kicked up several deer, all anterless. Hopefully he survives.

10-Dec-18
Drats !!

10-Dec-18
Sorry, Frank. You gave a respectful effort.

It's amazing how incredibly tough these animal are. When I was outfitting, a client from Wisconsin showed me a pic of the skull of a 6-pointer he had killed the previous year. There was a fixed-bladed broadhead fully embedded right behind the buck's left eye socket. The hunter said the buck showed no outward signs of being wounded.

On another occasion, I watched a nice 4x4 mulie buck breed a doe with half of his front leg shot off at the knee.

Oh, another one, again while I was outfitting. We had a well-known TV celebrity/hunter in a stand on a creek bottom. There was a known B&C caliber buck in the area. Sure enough, the buck comes in. The hunter got a bad case of buck fever and took an ill-advised 50 yard shot that hit the buck just below the spine. We searched long and hard, but never found him. 2 months later the same buck reappeared to established his dominance in the breeding pecking order. One of our rifle hunters killed him. The broadhead was still embedded deeply under his spine. There was still some trauma around the wound, but otherwise the buck was perfectly healthy.

Just a few stories that may ease your pain a little.

Matt

10-Dec-18
Sorry to hear that Frank,, You gave it a great effort....... I bet it’s still alive. Go get after another one !!!

10-Dec-18
Well done on the search H4W. Not easy, but you gave a great effort. I'll add one story to GG's list for you.

Years ago I shot a six pt. It was a pretty close shot - just under 10yds. It looked good relative to the shoulder, and only the fletch stuck out of the buck as he ran off. I assumed I had gone in and hit the sternum. Waited then started on the trail. Lost blood after well over half a mile in a swamp of grass and blue berries. Did the whole grid thing and nothing. Fast forward 2 years and a buddy shoots a 20" wide big tall six pointer .75-1 mile away on the other side of another swamp. Totally psyched for him! Then he calls me about 5 days later. "Hey, Will, you know a few years ago when you hit that buck, was your arrow shaft camo?"; "Yeah, why?"; "You were using an over the top mechanical, right?"; "Yeah, why?"; "because it was in my buck!"

Yep. the arrow and head had broken upon hitting the side of the spinal processes. The shaft then had slid down the underside of the skin - outside the rib cage. The arrow must have pulled out at some point, but about 3" of it and the head - which was broken into a few pieces - were in a ball of scar tissue along the spine.

He was fine. The off side antler was almost imperceptibly smaller than the on side - a fact he likes to remind me of every time we hang out and I get to look at all his racks on the wall (the guy is unreal and gets 1-2 mature bucks a year hunting heavily hunted public ground here). A buddy should do no less right :)

So, they can survive amazingly, despite what appear to be really brutal odds. Hope you see him next year!

10-Dec-18
Sorry to hear the deer is lost. Definitely a valiant effort to try and recover the animal.

On close downward shots I use my bottom pin of a 5 pin sight. It eliminates the low hits.

10-Dec-18
Thanks everyone!

Really some amazing stories here. Thanks for sharing.

10-Dec-18
again I say Drats !!

22-Dec-18
I hunted yesterday afternoon. At night fall I pulled my stand.

I believe it was three different coyotes started yapping and howling in a semi-circle around me. Within 100 yards. I like to mess with them so as I am on my knees putting my gear in my back back, attaching my sticks to my stand I started yapping back.

They really became vocal, to the point that one moved in close enough that my headlamp caught his eyes. I yelled, and none of them backed off.

As I left to head back to the cabin, they remained vocal until I was a couple hundred yards away. I thought maybe they were guarding something, a den or food source. I thought maybe that buck?

I went back early this morning and found nothing. Weird experience. Almost as if they were challenging me. Never had that happen before.

I think that buck is alive. My cameras caught pictures of one that looked identicle rack-wise. He appeared from the still picture to be holding his left front leg up a little as he ate. If I can confirm this I will let you know.

Thanks Jeff.

22-Dec-18
Get him next year Frank!

22-Dec-18

Thanks guys. 6 different deer were on the plot an hour before sunset. 4 does, 3 in this picture, and two small bucks. Hung my stand on the wrong access trail tonight. Story of my life, lol.

23-Dec-18
Good looking plot, Frank.

I had a similar experience with coyotes. 3 of them were yapping up a storm out behind my house, seemingly oblivious to me standing on my back deck. I think they were trying to draw my 2 Goldens away from the house. My 7mm mag shut 2 of them up in a hurry. The third one was lucky I only had 2 rounds in the gun.

Matt

23-Dec-18
Nice shooting Matt.

I purchased a .17 and hope to do some yote control late winter. Need to make them fear me;)

When I was packing up last night, the yotes went crazy again in the same area as the night before. I was 300-400 yards away from that area. Must be a den, but I did not think they pair up until around February in this area.

I know a lot of guys hate them, but I have always liked listening to them. Most nights they will wake me up at the cabin, sounding off fairly close by. It just is kind of cool to me. Beats the noise I heard growing up in the concrete jungle as a kid.

23-Dec-18
It sounds like you need to put that .17 to good use. Whatever you do, don't worry about the coyote yapping going away. No matter how many you can kill with the gun, you'll always have some. Hope your buck made it through. I have one myself that I am hoping has made it this year.

29-Dec-18

Will do Frazen.

At it again. Cold, but layered up.

29-Dec-18

Nice work out, hanging stands in the cold. Will miss the Chiefs game tomorrow, but took enough ribbing over the Buckeyes so I bailed and went to the farm.

29-Dec-18
the "farm" is where you belong ... good luck .....

29-Dec-18
Jtv nailed it, the farm for sure! Is that an XOP? How do you like it? I'm wrestling with sticks and a portable or saddle for next season. If it's a portable, I've been erring LW or XOP...so I'm curious about your set up.

29-Dec-18

XOP will

Doe down!

29-Dec-18
Awesome !!!! Way to go Frank !!!

29-Dec-18
Nice!

29-Dec-18
Yes!! Congrats, Frank!

29-Dec-18
Way to go H4W! Enjoy the feast - great way to close out 2018!

29-Dec-18
Great !! ... way to go .. congrats !! ..

30-Dec-18
Strong work, killer!!

Be sure to spread the back-strap love with your friends. ;-)

Matt

30-Dec-18
"Be sure to spread the back-strap love..."

Really not sure that's something one guy should say to another. Just sayin'....

30-Dec-18
Yeah, I could have picked a better choice of words. LOL!

I envy you guys who can get multiple deer tags in one season.

Matt

30-Dec-18
Thanks Matt, and thanks for the humor bbender! I will not be sharing my back straps!

Thanks for the compliments guys. More luck than anything.

You want to see some skill from someone who partipates on the CF, go the the Success Thread 2018 on the BGF. Zbone has taken two awesome bucks this year!! Congrats Gary! Love to see us sharing our common passion.

Rocky, Alabama may be temporarily better in football, but they will never catch The Ohio for big bucks! And we all know deer hunting is more important than college football;)

Thanks again. Go Chiefs!

31-Dec-18

I hunted last evening. Adjusted my location, but the deer must have been nervous from the night before. They adjusted theirs as well, lol! I saw 8.

My immediate neighbor that we help each other on our habitat work and other two man chores asked if he could hunt one of my blinds today. I allowed it as a heavy rain moved in and I needed to leave for activities tonight.

MO has a late muzzle loader season, he is usually a bow hunter but goes for a late buck each year.

He took a nice buck about 5pm tonight. This is one that I had observed with the one I failed to recover.

Can hunt until January 15th, so I have every intention of giving it another go.

Jeff, you and I use the same system. I have always hung my sticks and stands not being tied to the tree, only tieing on before I stepped off the top stick onto my stand to hunt. We are the same age, and I know you are in much better shape. I read how you are secured from the ground up.

I almost had a mishap with my heavy boots, trying to take my stand down this last time. When I got home today I went to Cabela's and purchased a good lineman's belt. Thanks!

BTW, Cabela's did have a decent assortment of clothes finally, not as good as before the BPS purchase, but better than in the Spring.

We were in Branson over Christmas, and the BPS store there had zero hunting clothing. I will not go back.

Happy New Year everyone!

31-Dec-18

JTV's embedded Photo
JTV's embedded Photo
I will not climb any longer with out my linemans belt ... this is mine now, I'll be up grading the rope next season .....

31-Dec-18

Similar, but they only had the belt option.

31-Dec-18
I found the rope is much easier, I can cut it longer for those bigger trees and it is easier to get around the tree and dosnt hang up on the bark as much going up or down ... using the Ascender is a easy one hand operation and very secure

31-Dec-18
Great thread. Frank, sorry for the lost buck but it happens.

01-Jan-19
Thanks Clay. It will bother me for a long time! Happy New Year to you.

Jeff, I can convert a rope from my back-up harnass using the black hooks from this one. I will do that, it makes sense a rope will roll over the bark. Thanks.

01-Jan-19
Frank, how do you like that XOP? Is that a Vanish?

01-Jan-19
I like the XOP stand equal to the LW Alpha. Other than the "buttons" you attach your straps to, they are identicle. The LW buttons are round, the XOP are more elongated.

The former president of LW left the company and started XOP, I believe. I don't know if the was a patent, and if so how he got around it, but they are identicle.

I have both and like them equally well.

The sticks, I prefer XOP for two reasons. The steps are a bit longer, and as I have aged, and now use bigger boots in the winter, they are just much safer for me.

They also lock tight against each other, which makes it easier to carry IMO.

I purchased the XOP stand when I needed another instead of buying LW again because it was less expensive, and I think they still are.

Good luck!

01-Jan-19
Clay,

Just took my stand down behind the house. It is a LW stand with XOP sticks.

We received over an inch of rain yesterday, and it is 22 out after having gone down to 17 last night. Everything was iced up.

I tell you this to say the XOP buttons were much easier to get the straps off than the buttons on the stand. We have ice freezes each season, so now I will only get the XOP going forward.

Jeff, I put this stand up in September, and as with all season long stands I put up a safety line. But, I thought I would try it the new way and take the stand down using the lineman's belt.

One challenge, I have to disconnect the lineman's belt either on the way up or down, or really put in a lot of slack, to get over the stand. What do you do, please?

Believe it or not, even this old fat man can still hang a stand in 15 minutes, mid-season ability without bulk clothing, using just 3 sticks. This was before trying like today, only attaching after everything was hung and right before I stepped on to the stand. I hope my ability with this will improve, or I will be getting up at least 15 minutes earlier for a morning hunt.

01-Jan-19
XOP sounds like a good setup with the features...I was reading about it. I've mostly hunted on thw ground all my life but if I could find a setup that would be good for in n out on public land..might be good way to go.

I noticed they offer the quick mount brackets for the xop..that would be handy. Talk about temps...we had to turn on the AC today.

01-Jan-19
Not a fan of the quick mount. I use the bracket the corrects for tree lean. I tie a small piece of cord to the stand right where it connects to the seat. I attach the hook with strap to the tree and after attaching the top stick, take my stand off my back and hang it on the hook. Then I attach the two straps to the tree.

BTW, XOP has a thicker seat as standard than does LW. The thick seat is much better for lengthy sits.

01-Jan-19
Frank, what is it about the quick mount you don't like? They have different angled slots for offset dont they?

01-Jan-19
It weighed enough that I did not want to carry it. Age is catching up to me and I just carry what I have to now. I have heard other guys really like it. Sorry if I discouraged you!

01-Jan-19
Frank, no problem..I was just curious. For pre set stands it would probably be a good thing. Mainly inquiring because my son hunts on private land. He has 1 hang on stand. I was telling him about the XOP...he can set several of the brackets up and the climbing sticks..just carry the stand in each hunt. Thanks for the info.

01-Jan-19
Well, once the stand is set, I unhook the linemans harness, climb on the stand, take my fanny pack off (facing the tree) ... pull out the tree rope, and put it around the tree a tad over head high, it has a prussic on it, so I then attatch the safety harrness strap to it using another 5000 lb rated aluminium caribener.... there is a short time frame Im not hooked up..... but that is the way I do it ...

01-Jan-19
Jeff,

Thanks, I thought I had to be missing something. FYI, I would rather hook on before stepping on the stand. I once read this is when most falls occur.

Clay,

Sounds like a plan for your son and you. Good luck!

01-Jan-19
I bought a Summit Open shot last yr..gave it to my son but I can use it whenever I want...he already had an open shot. Gave my Millenium M7 to my brother. I've always liked the idea of treestands but dont like foolin with a bunch of stuff..lol

I hunt public land, we can leave them up durin the season..I might comsider somethin like the XOP for myself. With sticks already set and a quick mount already hooked up, just be a matter of climbing up and stickin the stand in the bracket. I gave my brother my Muddy harness but I do have a rock climbing harness that works good.

01-Jan-19
HfW, it is a time to be cautious, getting on and off .. I always have a good hand hold and foot hold ... the only other option I guess would be to wrap the tree rope on while still leaning back with the linemans belt, hook on and slide it up after climbing on. ... there are some trees Im in that fork at head height when Im standing, so Id still have to take the tree rope off and reposition any ways ... but the way I wear my gear, harness, belt and fanny pack, wrapping and hooking lower would be a pain to do ... I feel comfortable with my existing routine, I can do it blind folded ... get a method your good with, trust your gear and dont rush ..

01-Jan-19
My son has his hang on stands preset so he sets up a lifeline with a prussic knot..latches the biner in the prussic and he is hooked up all way up n down. Last yr when I was tryin out the Millenium M7, I would put the linemans belt on as i was hangin the sticks, once I got the stand set I would hook up my tree rope and then unhook the linemans belt.

04-Jan-19
Drove to farm today. 55 out!

Hung my stand wearing a shirt. West wind, terrible for me to hunt with. Very poor reception. Will post when I get back to cabin.

04-Jan-19

Saw a minimum of 4, including one shooter buck. I left the stand and going back in the morning because I have the same wind.

04-Jan-19
Hope you get a biggun tomorrow!

04-Jan-19
Frank- it’s friday why aren’t u at work? There a work ethic thread posted now...just say’n.

Lol...good luck and be safe.

04-Jan-19
We are off still.

Thanks guys.

05-Jan-19

Great morning with a lot of activity. Had between 7-15 deer on me for a couple hours. The seven were there at one time, all within 40 but no clear shot. Then I had deer moving in and out, some probably were the same deer but based on coming in from a different direction, and body size, some had to be different. Not sure, so seven minimum.

You guys are talking climate change, well it is going up to 60 today, on January 4th. Something is up. I am hanging my stand in just a turtleneck.

05-Jan-19
Good luck Frank

05-Jan-19
Go get’em Frank. Climate change..pot stirrer...lol.

05-Jan-19

Pulled the SD cards. This is worth sharing. For the last 4 years I have used Winter Bulbs and Sugar Beets in the winter plot. After several days well below freezing, the deer devour them. They leave the turnips untouched, but hammer this.

It may not work in your area, but you may want to consider it.

05-Jan-19
Nothing in range, not even close tonight. I was playing checkers, the deer played chess;-)

Beautiful evening though, lots of stars.

05-Jan-19
Maybe next time

03-Feb-19

Had not been to the farm for four weeks, longest period of time away since we purchased it in March 2007.

The plot was completely used up! Two cameras had over 1000 pictures, some with 12-13 deer in them.

Two sheds found right on the plot. Walked most of the property, no sign of any dead deer. Maybe he made it?

Felt good to chain saw for about four hours opening up shooting lanes where stands will go this next season. Used to be able to do that all day, not any more!

04-Feb-19

The sugar beets and their drawing power.

• Sitka Gear