slade 18-Jan-19
MK111 18-Jan-19
70lbdraw 18-Jan-19
Oneidadude 25-Jan-19
Trial153 25-Jan-19
scentman 25-Jan-19
dirtclod Az. 25-Jan-19
11-Dec-18
I know many here are more worldly the I with Bourbon then I . I just finished my first bottle from this early fall Knob Creek I enjoyed it . Now I am looking for a new brand to try thinking of makers mark what to you suggest.

11-Dec-18
Makers is great, Woodford Reserve is great, Blantons is great. I even like Evan Williams and it is a bargain compared to the others I mentioned. Try them all and see what you like.

11-Dec-18
Evan Williams seems a good affordable choice in my house. Really prefer the green to the black, but I have never been accused of having taste.

11-Dec-18
Just like we saw how craft beers changed the beer industry for the better over the past 25 years, now we're seeing lots of craft bourbons and scotches do the same as well.

I've not begun to sample them all, but of the ones I have, I've yet to be disappointed.

11-Dec-18
Try Bullet. It’s my go to drink. Just a hint of caramel. Good stuff. Makers is up there too. Happy sipping!

11-Dec-18
Templeton Rye is a good sip. Bullitt good also.

11-Dec-18
Just curious , anything tastes close to Crown. Have back issue and when really bad 4-5 times a year i drink a little Crown before bed . Sleep like a rock. Dope addicts keep people from getting prescription pain meds . Guy i worked for for years , gave me partial bottle of Crown and almost gone . Had it since January or February, so as you can tell I hit it hard LOL. He said there was cheaper. Never bought any but never know . I am a tight wad.

11-Dec-18
"Try Bullet. It’s my go to drink. Just a hint of caramel. Good stuff. Makers is up there too. Happy sipping! :

Now why in Hell would any sane person listen to ANYTHING Putz recommends, let alone follow his advice???????

11-Dec-18
PutZ is just trying to be 'one of the guys' by posting on this thread.

One problem!

Liars, frauds and A-Holes like Paul Zeidan will NEVER be 'one of the guys' here on the CF.

Our standards don't allow for that.

11-Dec-18
Bet you are glad you picked to live the life of a LIAR, instead of being somebody of some value, putz. Good choice. 8^))))

11-Dec-18
I’m guessing that half of the proceeds from “Bullet” go to the Hillary Clinton Foundation.........

11-Dec-18

Annony Mouse's Link
Wyoming Whiskey...now being distributed in many states. Their single barrel is especially nice.

11-Dec-18
Triggered much fellas? And someone named Paul asked for recommendations. He didn’t ask you guys to filter those recommendations. But I get it. You can’t resist.

11-Dec-18
Crawl back into your gutter, you fraud.

11-Dec-18
Wondering if you consider trump a fraud too.

The way he lied to you guys.

Obamacare not repealed.

Wall not built and Mexico def not paying for it.

A Muslim ban isn’t going to happen

Denuked North Korea? Nope

Reducing the deficit. Ha!

Tax reform bill? Nope

Infrastructure bill? Nope.

But yeah. Some random dude on the Internet is the bad guy. Haha.

Your priorities are out of wack.

11-Dec-18
Hey, jerk!

Trump never once called for a "Muslim ban!"

It was YOUR side which falsely made that claim.

11-Dec-18
You left the biggest one out putz. Making puts whine his a$$ off. PRICELESS!!!!. You talk about "owning someone"? Trump definitely owns you. 8^)))))

11-Dec-18
you sure about that Kyle?

11-Dec-18
FAKE NEWS, PZ!

Are you really so stupid and gullible that you believe anything and everything you see in a meme?

Even when that meme is NOT quoting Trump, but rather someone claiming to say that's what he said!

Of course you are.

Because you ARE that stupid and that clueless!

But what you can't do is show us a documented video of Trump calling for a 'Muslim ban,' because he never did so.

My God, how stupid can you get?

11-Dec-18
And once again..... someone other than Paul ruins a perfectly good thread......

11-Dec-18
yfp. I noticed you never commented on schumer and his take on ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS in 2009. Why is that???

11-Dec-18
He never comments on ANYTHING which documents how wrong he is and how stupid he is.

11-Dec-18
Come on guys we are talking about good whiskey here. No matter what we think about her or him it or they lets have a drink and relax.

11-Dec-18
I am not a whisky drinker myself but Evan Williams makes the best spirit Eggnog I have ever tasted.

11-Dec-18
Evan Williams has been named a few times I'm gong to give it try .

11-Dec-18

slade's Link
Micro distilleries are becoming popular out here in the NW. I know a few pokes who sip Pendleton whisky.

11-Dec-18

Hawkarcher's Link
Try this one. I hear Pappy is good.

11-Dec-18
Hey guys...actually that Bulliet bourbon is a great one to try. I traveled through KY for years on business and I had the pleasure to try every bourbon recommended by every hotel bartender.

11-Dec-18
Yes...I get it that some of us have issues with each other here sitting around the Bow Hunting community forum "camp fire". But I'll take a good bourbon recommendation any day. Thanks

11-Dec-18
Eagle Rare (from Buffalo Trace) is my go to lately.

11-Dec-18
Pipe x2. Chill the f out on railing on the guy you don’t like. We all get why.

12-Dec-18
I like Kessler's, but that's just me... after reading a few of theses posts I could go for one about now ;0)

12-Dec-18
Some of my favorites:

Weller Special Reserve

Jefferson Reserve Groth Cask Finish

E.H. Taylor Single Barrel or Small Batch

Blanton's

Woodford Reserve Brandy Cask Finish

Four Roses Single Barrel

Henry McKenna

Elijah Craig 12 Year

Weller 12 Year

Old Forester 1897

12-Dec-18
This place can fall into romper room status in a hurry......and Crown Royal is not bourbon.

12-Dec-18
Crown or Bushmills, either one works for me.

12-Dec-18
KPC,

Let's just say I had a very similar experience with Southern Comfort. Even today almost 40 years later, I get the heaves when I smell it.

Kevin Dill,

I think I'd like to share a campfire with you!!

12-Dec-18
"Crown Royal is not bourbon" That is what I was thinking, but hey, I only drink it and don't read the bottle...8^)

For a quick buzz, do a couple Irish Car Bombs - 50/50 shot of Jamisons/Baileys dropped into a glass of Guinness.. KABOOM!!!...8^)

12-Dec-18
I've seen the western guys say that Tin Cup is pretty good. I don't sample much (or any) whiskey these days myself, but if you like cherry flavor, Red Stag from Jim Beam was pretty good. I would say it is not a traditional whiskey lover's drink though, which I never really was.

12-Dec-18
Dang Spike Bull, I must live under a rock, never seen or drank (that I know of) ANY of those before...

12-Dec-18
I'd like to try a couple though...8^)

I rarely keep liqueur at the house (although I do have a little bit of Crown right now), but if I'm out and want do a shot it's Fireball now days... Cheap, I can afford that...8^)

12-Dec-18
While not adverse to a nice bourbon, my tastes tend to prefer single malt scotch...and have no real preference to "peatiness" or source.

One of the most important parts of my education came from my major professor's seminars in his home on Scotch Whisky and the varieties of single malts. He traveled to Great Britain as part of his research and always brought home a couple bottles to add to his collection. He probably had several hundred different single malts in his collection.

Every week or so, a select group of us were invited to his home to learn and taste scotches from various areas of Scotland. Usually, we had four samples to experience...and control of Johnny Walker, which was "considered" to be a very good whisky (that is another story altogether).

Every time I sample a single malt, I always give thanks to Manny for a very unique educational opportunity.

And considering this topic, here is a very very relevant find I came across just last night:

Scotch vs. Bourbon vs. Rye: A Complete Guide to Whiskey Varieties

Get up out of your seat and look at yourself in the mirror. What do you see? An accomplished whiskey drinker who can tell the origins of a bottle by its color? Or an amateur who wouldn't be able to differentiate the cheap stuff from a bottle of Yamazaki Sherry Cask Single Malt?

Preferences aside, everyone can stand to get educated when it comes to the brown stuff. If you don't know your Kentucky bourbon from Japanese whisky, allow yourself to be immersed in this article before you immerse yourself in booze. Pro tip: read this in Alec Baldwin’s voice for an aurally delightful time. Actually, you should probably do that anytime you read anything. Here we go.

(continued at link)

Addendum: It is interesting to note that many of the bourbon distillers have recently taken the lead of whisky's elder relative, scotch, and now producing single cask varieties. Imagine in the future being able to sip a 25 year old single bourbon!

12-Dec-18
Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Hard to find right now round here. Please do not try. I seen Kevin's list and checked it seeing the E.H. Taylor is from here also got to check it.

12-Dec-18
There's a lot of good bourbon out there. I'm fond of J D Laws.....a low cost favorite is Tincup.....Pappy Van Winkle is very good....like Slaughterhouse, and Wyoming Whiskey. Leupold Brothers is a good local favorite, too as is Breckenridge. I found their cask finish in Annapolis, and it's very, very smooth.

Craft bourbon has been fun. When I travel I look for local distilleries. I've found some fine whisky, aka "scotch but we can't call it scotch" here as well.

12-Dec-18
Okay so now it's been brought up - what's the difference between bourbon, whisky, and scotch?

12-Dec-18
Have not see anyone mention Angel's Envy. It's one of the best tasting bourbons out there.

Fireball? Really? That stuff is nasty. I've seen a lot of whiskey in plastic bottles put that stuff to shame. It's the worst tasting crap I ever had. Can not drink it at all.

12-Dec-18

gflight's Link
Zbone^^^^

12-Dec-18
I have tried a few good single molts I works with a bunch of scots and let me tell you they can drink

12-Dec-18

SmokedTrout's Link
The link above is perhaps the most meaningful thing congress has done in my lifetime.

Zbone, Scotch is from Scotland (and tastes like furniture polish), whisky is a catch-all for any grain mash based liquor, and Bourbon is 100% American at least 50% corn based whiskey.

JD you made me go look at my bottle of Eagle Rare, and yes indeed it is made by Buffalo Trace. Two of my favorites right there.

12-Dec-18
keepem, trying out some evan williams black... very good...i feel the green is a bit more sweet bit still mellow and tasty.

12-Dec-18

scentman's embedded Photo
scentman's embedded Photo

12-Dec-18
Nice pic warms me just looking at it .

12-Dec-18
I find it extremely sacrilegious what some of you guys are referring to as Bourbon! There's Canadian blended whiskey, Scotch, Bourbon, Irish Whisky, Tennessee whiskey, and others. They are all aged differently and have different mash bills ,etc. It's worth a cold winter's afternoon reading about the different types and what makes them unique while you sip on your preferred variety.

12-Dec-18
Thanks guys...

12-Dec-18
True bourbon guys are my kind of people. Not the guys who jumped onto the fad or are into every craft 'bourbon' they can find. Give me the guy who knows good liquor and knows how to sip it slow. And any day, set me up with the stalwart products out of Kentucky. Those good old boys know how to make real bourbon using the limestone waters which are inherently a part of Kentucky bourbon's heritage. I'm sipping a couple ounces of McKenna as I type this.

12-Dec-18
Clyde Mayes

Evan Williams single barrel

Even Williams 1783

There are so many good ones but those are inexpensive and very good

12-Dec-18
Try Benchmark for a cheap one. Evan 1783, Evan Black, Weller 7 year are all good.

12-Dec-18
Enjoying High West American Prairie Bourbon at the moment. I have tried and bought some of those mentioned before but only one of the ten that Kevin dill listed. Haven't heard of any of Spike bull's 50. Don't consider myself a worldly drinker nor a snob. I do enjoy bourbon, whiskey, scotch, beer, IPA's. Never had an Irish Car Bomb, Zbone but lately have been thinking of trying one. Last thing... Scentman, is that a cigar or a cinnamon stick protruding from the glass in your picture?

12-Dec-18
Never ever used to be a brown liquor drinker much. My introduction to it was Black Velvet, Ten High and the local cowboy favorite since forever, Early Times. Friend introduced me to quality Scotch a few years back and I favor those like Lagavulin and Balvene.

For my bourbon whiskey I'll keep the Pendleton and Crown out front for the proletariat, and hide the Clyde May and the Scotches in the back...lol. Took a liking to Jamesons just recently. Another friend is a bourbon/whiskey aficionado and has introduced me to some of his collection along with fine cigars. I'm kicking the hell out of 60 so I think I can dial in the good stuff from time to time. Fun thread.

12-Dec-18
Any of you older guys ever drink G&U? Hasn’t been produced in 30 years or so. Was my grandpas favorite. I have an unopened bottle..

12-Dec-18

gflight's embedded Photo
gflight's embedded Photo
Old Grand Dad is what my grand dad drank. I like scotch personally....

12-Dec-18
I have been enjoying Basil Hayden lately. Perfect neat or on ice.

13-Dec-18
Grasshopper, that would be a Dutch Master Palma... $1.79 a piece :0) After a hard day at the office and the pets are fed, I relax out on the deck and watch the deer raid my bird-feeder whilst sipping on a libation and puffing on a stogie.

13-Dec-18
Wow....I thought I have heard about every Kentucky bourbon ever made but I had not idea that Basil Hayden had a bourbon named after him.

16-Dec-18
Broke down and bought some Makers Mark today.Not Bad ...Not Great.Brother flying in today for X-Mas festivities.Another trip to liqour store.Any suggestions?He's buying;just doesn't know it yet!

16-Dec-18
90 proof....at least 8 years old....maybe a wheated bourbon if you can find it.

If you don't mind spending some twenties (4 of them) I'd suggest a bottle of Jefferson's and pick from these: Ocean, Twin Oak, Groth Cask Finish, or Very Small Batch.

If you're lucky, a bottle of Col. E.H. Taylor (Small Batch or Single Barrel) or Weller Special Reserve. That Weller is amazingly affordable and even more amazingly drinkable.

16-Dec-18
I recently had a bottle of Jefferson’s Ocean and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Matt

16-Jan-19
Well, had the opportunity to try Johnny Walkers Blue the other day.... Told it costs $200 a bottle and they charged $20 for a shot glass... Was the most expensive drink I ever bought and had mine on rocks... It tastes like Crown Royal to me, could have saved and bought a glass of Crown...

16-Jan-19
Zbone,

Bourbon should be drank neat, or with a splash of water. Really brings out the flavor.

16-Jan-19
I love the idea of liking a good bourbon, tried faking it thinking I would acquire a taste for it. Never happened. Same with coffee, love the idea of it, the switch just never flipped.

18-Jan-19
I just finished of a bottle of Wicked Harvest last night. Not sure how it ranks but it is smooth. Made in Kentucky from Pistachios grown here in Central California (the non crazy part of the state). Good luck on your search and let us know how it goes.

Stu

18-Jan-19
Madera county perhaps?

18-Jan-19
I to enjoy a good drink every once and awhile. I got stupid drunk in high school to but soon wised up and don't drink so much.

I used to play poker once a week with 5-6 friends. First week they got a bottle of Jim Beam because my best friend would break out in hives drinking any other kind. The guys drank a whole bottle every week. I only drank 1 drink a night so every once in awhile I would throw cash into the booze fund.

After a year I told my son that this drinking a whole bottle of Jim Beam is costly. He said just don't tell Chuck but after the first week the Jim Beam bottle was refilled with Black Velvet. Chuck never knew the difference for 5 years before he passed away and he never broke out in hives.

18-Jan-19
Zbone, as I recall Johnny Walker Blue struck me as very smokey, I dont recall it being close to Crown myself. I was going to say, if you like JW Blue you might also enjoy Lagavulin 16. It's a single malt scotch whiskey, and a bit pricey, but its smokey smooth!!

Great thread!...well, most of it at least.

25-Jan-19
Slade,

I would guess either Madera or Fresno county. I'm from form Fresno county.

25-Jan-19
Makers Mark Cask strength is a good everyday Bourbon. So is Knob Creek single barrel and woodford reserve. Widow Jane is worth the buy. Hudson Baby Bourbon is a bit different as is 100percent corn based ...it grows on you. Black maple hill 16, very solid and is whistle pig boss hog, 12 ,and 15.

25-Jan-19
18" of the white stuff... just came in from plowing, time for a bourbon gentlemen. Great thread, have a safe weekend.

25-Jan-19
Tried Makers Mark last week,good stuff.

• Sitka Gear