Scar Finga 02-Jan-19
bigswivle 03-Jan-19
Jim Moore 03-Jan-19
HA/KS 03-Jan-19
Rocky 03-Jan-19
tonyo6302 03-Jan-19
Your fav poster 03-Jan-19
01-Jan-19
I posted this on my facebook page this am, very shortly after I had the craziest airport experience ever.

Do you know CPR?

The kids and I dropped my wife off at the Minneapolis airport and while we were waiting in line an elderly woman named Mona right in front of us dropped.

She was unresponsive, not breathing, and had no pulse. In short, she was dead. 2 random strangers came together- one was a nurse the other was some dude who clearly knew what to do. Together they performed CPR and later administered that shocking machine when someone ran it to them.

5 minutes later airport police and firemen arrived- to find Mona sitting up, talking to her husband and others, smiling, and enjoying the new year. It was crazy and our 8 and 4 year old kids had a front row seat to watching 2 random Americans helping a complete stranger in the best possible way.

Mona and her husband missed their flight but thank God that didn't happen at 45,000 feet.

My wife just texted me and the nurse is sitting next to her on the plane. What a crazy world.

Happy New Year Mona, and good luck!

01-Jan-19
Yep. Learn how to run an AED also.

01-Jan-19
I sort of theoretically know how to do it from a Boy Scout class 30 years ago, but honestly I wouldn't feel confident doing it, so you can put me in the "no, I don't know how to do it, but should category".

01-Jan-19
I've taken a CPR class every year since 1984. Hopefully never have to use it.

01-Jan-19
Yes, from high school through my service time and law enforcement career...Have used it a few times, to say the least!

01-Jan-19
I was required to take a Red Cross course in it when I helped coach my daughter's school basketball team. It's a good skill to know.

02-Jan-19

Amoebus's Link
Got 4 minutes?

02-Jan-19
Yes, A couple of times until our Fire Department medics arrived on scene and took over. A small child that drowned in a pool, And a few adults. None survived; Though the last time I did it the hospital was able to revive the guy several times and had him breathing on his own for short periods of time before he passed. It’s good to hear your story mn archer,,, I’ve seen it done numerous times by Fire Department medics and I don’t recall seeing it bring someone back. But at that point it’s a person’s only chance.

02-Jan-19
Took the class a year and a half ago. Haven’t had the need to use it yet.

02-Jan-19
Certified q 2yrs for many years, used it first when in the Navy Hospital Corpsmen and since, the last time was on an elderly lady and I could feel her ribs pop from the sternum which she didn't survive, one of the very few that didn't help. At times I think it is better to do nothing on an individual status but that is not my call.

02-Jan-19
I was supervisor of the Fire Brigade for many years where I worked. Pumped on ole' Resusi Anne many many times. Also taught the Heimlich maneuver. One time at a company dinner one of the supervisors started choking and was in a bad way. One of my friends snatched him out of his chair and performed the Heimlich maneuver and he brought out a chunk of food. The guy was fine in a few minutes.

02-Jan-19
That is amazing! Thank goodness those folks were able to help and were there.

I know it, touch wood have not needed to use it. I hope I never have to, but also hope that if the opportunity comes, Ill be able to pull it off effectively.

02-Jan-19
I taught it for years until I got tired of all the red tape to remain an instructor, (sad isn't it?). I have had to perform CPR a few times as well. They have simplified the process so that there is no reason someone cannot learn to use it. No more "pushy-pushy blow-blow" as we used to teach but simply constant compressions, no breaths. For every 1 minute someone is in need of CPR and doesn't receive it, their chance of survival decreases 10% is a stat we used to emphasize.

02-Jan-19
Good story, with a happy ending.

I've got to certify annually because of my job, I've been involved in quite a few codes over the Years...some with not so happy endings!

02-Jan-19
The don't do breaths any more just chest pressing the chest. They say do it to the beat of the song Staying Alive. I have a friend that has been an EMT for many years. He said it will really wear you out and it is nice to have help to step in. He uses one of those things they shock the heart with and says it is a life saver but you don't always have one at hand when needed.

02-Jan-19
The AED tells you exactly what to do and when, assuming there's one there!

Certified again due to becoming a fitness/spinning instructor.

never had to use it.

02-Jan-19
Yes, I know First Aid, CPR, Advanced Life Saving Techniques (basically taking care of wounds and injuries that could life threatening, broken bones, shock etc).

I choked in a restaurant about 15 years ago, I was by my self... I mean no air choking! A guy ran over and gave me the Heimlich, and cleared my airway! Scared the HELL out of me! I was fine in 2 minutes and finished my meal, I also bought his entire family their meal as well. He probably saved my life.

03-Jan-19
I’ve done it ounce, It didn’t work. Still haunts me.

03-Jan-19
I have been able to keep people from choking by giving the Heimlich on two occasions and had it used once on myself. Do it right away and do it hard....it may take a few tries.

03-Jan-19
When my oldest boy was 2 or so, we were sitting at the table eating supper when he just went quiet, then blue. Without even thinking about it, I remembered the modified Heimlich for infants and managed to pop out the tater tot. Scared me to death! Then I almost squeezed the breath out of him holding him so tight afterwards...Whew! 2nd time was about 10 years ago. We were having a Christmas Eve party at our house when one of our guests just dropped on the floor, again turning blue and not breathing. I know she wasn't choking on anything because I was just talking to her and she wasn't eating. She just went quiet, got panicky and dropped, unconcious. I thought heart attack, but she had a pulse, just wasn't breathing. I tilted her head back and puffed a couple of times into her mouth and she started breathing then crying. We called the ambulance and they took her in. apparently she was on some kind of medications and the drink she had combined with those paralyzed her breathing. Scary stuff man. I am two for two but hope to not have to do it again. I am certified on CPR and AED through my work and we get the training every two years.

03-Jan-19
Wow.

Happy ending.

In addition to knowing CPR and Heimlich, other ways you can serve humanity are to sign your organ donor card and give blood.

03-Jan-19
Yep. Same thing happened to my infant daughter about 25 years ago. It takes a couple of tries and you worry about how much force you can use on a baby but I kept doing it a little harder each time until that piece of breadstick popped out. A blue baby who is obviously choking is a scary situation especially when it is yours.

03-Jan-19
Yes I know CPR and I own a AED machine. My wife sent letters to our neighbors in the area that we have one if needed with one of our landline phone numbers and instructing them to call at ANY time in a emergency.

The Rock

03-Jan-19
Yep, have been trained, re-trained, and currently CPR Certified at work, one of two in my Building.

.. . ..

.. . . .

I have never had to use CPR, however, I did have to use the Heimlich on a 8 month baby once. Luckily, I had been through the Red Cross Coarse for infants.

That 8 month old child, was my Daughter. She turns 40 in February.

If you have not been First Aid trained, you are putting your loved ones in danger. Take a course, get the knowledge.

03-Jan-19
New York State teachers and coaches must be certified every two years. It’s a valuable, valuable skill to have.

• Sitka Gear