Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Downeast Michigan and LOVING it!!!!

MAGA!!!!

03-Jan-19
Pelosi sips.

Filled up at $1.65 last week.

03-Jan-19
How about that stock market today?

I love the lower gas prices, but he gets credit for both, right?

03-Jan-19

gflight's embedded Photo
gflight's embedded Photo
Filled up the 29th, cheaper now...

03-Jan-19
Yep, I saved far more on fuel prices today than I lost on investments. Oh wait.....

MAGA!!

Matt

03-Jan-19
2.35 here in the Harrisburg PA area. Ugh

03-Jan-19
2.37 here in WY

03-Jan-19
Yep, I saved far more on fuel prices today than I lost on investments. Oh wait.....

But some barrels tomorrow. Will be 4.00$ by July

03-Jan-19
In MN the new governor will try to increase the price, bringing back $3.00 a gallon on taxes for infrastructure, etc.

03-Jan-19
Supporter, gas prices yea!

Hater, market sucks!

Objective person, Apple and other factors caused a drop, should I buy? Think I will take a road trip since gas prices are down...

03-Jan-19
All about perceptions....

03-Jan-19
Oh boy here we go again...

03-Jan-19
The wise hobbits can't pass up a chance to complain about anything Kevin.

03-Jan-19
Don’t sweat the stock market. What goes down will come up. Check your history.

03-Jan-19
The US is the top Oil producing country now.

03-Jan-19

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
California.

Along with the federal gas tax of 18.4 cents, Californians now pay 58.2 cents in excise taxes per gallon. Like all other states with sales taxes, California “taxes the tax” by applying the combined local and state sales tax, which ranges from 7.25 to 9.75 percent, on top of the gasoline tax.Jan 14, 2018

That’s right excise tax taxes sales tax. Thought there was a war fought about such things.

03-Jan-19
"How many of your investments did you sell today Matt?"

Not a one. So, please respond with the usual, " if you don't sell, you haven't had a lost" diatribe that I'm used to from advisors. I'll ignore it as usual.

Matt

03-Jan-19
But, but, but that can’t be....Lol

03-Jan-19
I'm almost ashamed how easily I can push your buttons, Kevin.

So, do tell, what is your expert advise for investors approaching retirement age. Variable annuities?

Matt

03-Jan-19
What exactly are you thanking Trump for, Mike? Tanking the global economy and killing demand for oil and gas?

04-Jan-19
What exactly are you thanking Trump for, Mike? Tanking the global economy and killing demand for oil and gas?

Worth asking again.

Matt

04-Jan-19
312k jobs added last month! That is great news!

Unemployment ticked up to 3.9, probably due to previously labeled discouraged workers who were not counted as unemployed, now looking for jobs which would move them to unemployed. That is just my hunch, not saying for sure that happened.

Good news though any way you look at it. Ceteris paribus, the market should move up.

04-Jan-19

slade's Link
GROWTH SHOCK! U.S. ECONOMY ADDED 312,000 JOBS IN DECEMBER…

…PLUS! WAGES RISE FASTER THAN EXPECTED…

…MANUFACTURING JOBS UP 37% YEAR-OVER-YEAR

04-Jan-19
Bought gas at Sam's in South St. Louis for $1.64.

As for the stock market? Apple sells fewer phones in China, people freak out. Fed increases interest rates due to their view that the economy is doing considerably better, people freak out. Elon Musk makes a goofy tweet, people freak out. Trump farts in the direction of North Korea, people freak out.

Seems to me today's stock market volatility has more to do with people freaking out over every tiny market blip than having to do with anything concrete. But that's just my (albeit market challenged) opinion.

04-Jan-19
Regardless of what anyone thinks, he IS doing a great job. Stock market up almost 800 today. Build the wall & all the problems the Dems have will go away (mostly). I remember saying to my wife when the market hit 17,000, we're making money now sweetie. It's 23,000 & the sky is falling. Workers employed, apparently "better" trade deals making employment better. What the hell has WASHINGTON done the past 20 years b/4 Trump? Padded their pockets with taxpayer $$$, that's what. Many think he is not the best, maybe true but he's better than the last TWO (1 Dem 1 Rep, RIGHT?). I agree with you Dale Cover, they freak out over everything but the MOST IMPORTANT. Taking care of the U.S.A & their LEGAL CITIZENS.

04-Jan-19
Dale X 2.

04-Jan-19
I don't know about the "freaking out" theory. Sure some market volatility is due to emotion. But, when the markets shed 20% of their value in just a few months, I think it's a little more than just emotions going on. But I'm certainly no expert either.

I do know that plunging fuel prices usually isn't a good sign for economies in oil producing and exporting countries, which I believe the US qualifies as now.

Matt

04-Jan-19
Cheaper fuel/energy will only boost the economy across the board. From travel to simple shipping costs, tractors in the field, etc...... much of it compounded savings on products and services. A little drop.....it doesn't take much of one to add up.

Overall, the vast majority for the greatest good..... lower fuel/energy is a big plus. Yep, big win. I'm gonna shed about as many tears for the energy/fuel industry (if in fact they are in a bind. Many if not most fuels such as jet A have been contracted a long time ago) as they had shed for me when prices were high. WRT the "gorbal economy" the US is wide open to doing business under honesty reciprocation and legal property rights. Fair business. Other than that..... they are responsible for their own people and economies. Not us.

04-Jan-19

Grey Ghost's Link
"Cheaper fuel/energy will only boost the economy across the board."

I hope you're right. See link for a different perspective, however.

Matt

04-Jan-19

Now let me let you in on a little secret...knee jerk reaction/responses are what you are best at. I, on the other hand, prefer to use a bit more time to see how things play out. As you can see for yourself, yesterday’s loss was erased and gains were achieved today. Sure they are down over all, but everyone needs to feel some pain if the country we all love is ever going to get back on the right track. To get into endless debate over frivolous “stuff” is beneath me, and quite honestly most of the Men on the CF think the same way. You continue to go after the same “targets” ecause you love endless trivial BS.

Last I checked, this is America, I can thank anyone for any reason I want to. Just the same as you can question anyone about stupid chit all you want trying to “prove a simple point”, but lacking anything meaningful at all. The the best part about this wonderful country...Stuff I do, is done on my timeframe, not yours. It is wonderful to be a free man in a free country.

The market goes up, the market goes down. It’s a giant gamble for anyone who plays it. To claim otherwise, well that is only made by a fool. There is only a few certainties in life, so find the things that bring you joy and to do them, as that is the key to a happy life.

04-Jan-19
So Mike,

I take it you think plunging fuel prices are a good thing overall, and you give Trump credit for that. OK. I guess we will see how it plays out.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Matt

04-Jan-19
With absolutely no proof... I suspect that the market is driven down just before good news by those who can do so. It seems to be happening in the same way as a pattern that looks suspicious to me.

If a block of big investors were to "chat it up" enough to cause an artificial fall they have then created the opportunity to capitalize on the natural buoyancy/ return to the expected level. Do that 3 times a year and make 2% each time and you're doing pretty good financially.

Just a hunch that there are intentional manipulations going on.

04-Jan-19
TT....good observation. I posted in another post that the thousand point swing (down 500 one day up 500 the next). Did not make sense. I attributed it to emotion vs logical investing. I need to be less trusting as manipulation may very well be in play.

04-Jan-19
Data released by the Labor Department on Friday reveal that 4.8 million more Americans have joined the work force since President Trump took office in January 2017.

04-Jan-19
What the hay I’m paying 2.25 for gas here in Ct

04-Jan-19
"Now that the majority of stock trades (some sources say up to 85%) are done via computer algorithms and high frequency trading, the likelihood of that happening is slim."

In addition to that, the total value of the US stock market is $30 trillion. The combined total net worth of the world's billionaires is about $9 trillion. It would take some serious heavy hitters making huge moves to manipulate the markets as TT suggested. There are also regulatory commissions that monitor and enforce laws created to avoid market manipulation.

Matt

04-Jan-19
There are also regulatory commissions that monitor and enforce laws created to avoid market manipulation.

I feel so much more relieved knowing that.

04-Jan-19
A friend and I at the phone company watched how the prices of SBC at that time were when the CEO sold his stock. He had to submit when he was going sell way ahead of time. It was interesting that when he sold the price was always up. Since the stock prices fluctuated with positive or negative news issued by the company or other outside sources we often wondered if somehow those company news releases were well managed by someone?

05-Jan-19
DL, My X was a Legal secretary to a rt. 128 (Boston) Big Computer company. She told me, after the fact, that her boss, the Top Dog had sold a huge amount of his stock. Of course, the stock fell just then and the little people got screwed. We were and are still "the little people". Maybe that was just his good luck... Why didn't she say something? She thought that would be inside info ... cheating. Moral or just stupid... Dunno.

I smell something fishy but those that are apparently well informed would know better. I'll keep listening... sniffing the air.

05-Jan-19
Kevin, I can agree with your statement, and would like to add to my original statement.

I would say it is a “calculated” gamble, especially for a guy like me who does not deal with the markets daily. I do the dollar cost averaging approach into what has been a producer for me. I’m quite positive I could have done much better if I were to devote a LOT more time into the profession, but I’m pleased with the results.

I truly believe everyone is great at something, so do that to make a living, then (shall I say) dabble in other areas of interest with help from trusted professionals and friends.

05-Jan-19
The only market manipulation that I know of, or have been told about by my investor advisors, is to not put your stop loss orders in with your broker. Apparently when you do that the market makers can see what your sell price is. They can and will drive the price down and below that stop price level to pick off your shares. Apparently they cannot do this every time, but I guess when they see enough orders at a certain level or when they need additional shares for whatever reason, they do this or try to do this. The price drop is temporary and the regains its value almost immediately.

The question I have about all this computer trading based on algorithms, how many different triggers are there for a program to generate a sell/buy order and how unique are those triggers within the various programs and systems. I mean if everyone has the same or near same sell/buy rules that explains a lot of the volatility...at least in mind it does...

05-Jan-19
MT,

I view what you are describing as day trading, not investing. The average Joe will get his ass handed to him, if he attempts to participate in day trading.

To me, investing in equities is a long term activity that banks on the fact that our markets have ALWAYS climbed higher over time. Investors, for the most part, ignore short term swings in the markets, and focus on the ultimate long term gains instead.

Many people don't have the stomach to watch their hard-earned savings go up and down in value on a daily basis. Those people are usually better served to seek an advisor to manage their investments for them. Advisors don't have the emotional attachment that their clients have to their money, so they tend to make more rational decisions with it.

Matt

05-Jan-19
”Last I checked, this is America, I can thank anyone for any reason I want to.”

Fair enough. I usually thank people for things that are positives and for things they actually do, but you can indeed thank anyone for anything even if they had little to nothing to do with whatever it is you’re thanking them for.

05-Jan-19
No offense taken, Kevin.

I thought I was extending a small olive branch to you, and those in your profession, with that comment, since I felt some think I have a negative opinion about advisors. I certainly don't. I'm sorry, if it didn't achieve the desired affect.

Sincerely,

Matt

07-Jan-19
More to life than gas prices...moron !

• Sitka Gear