Mike B 10-Jan-19
Mike the Carpenter 10-Jan-19
newfi1946moose 10-Jan-19
South Farm 10-Jan-19
PECO 10-Jan-19
orionsbrother 10-Jan-19
Woods Walker 10-Jan-19
08-Jan-19
There's a thread over on Leatherwall right now regarding a brother bowhunter who had to part with his K9 best friend/hunting buddy.

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/tf/lw/thread2.cfm?forum=23&threadid=306775&messages=114&CATEGORY=9

I've been thinking about this for while, and this thread made me want to share these thoughts. I didn't want to hijack the Leatherwall thread out of respect for the thread author, so I figured that here would be the place. Here goes........

I, like many other people, am a dog person. Dogs have been part of my life for 58 of my 66 years. I cannot imagine having to live for any length of time without one.

The tough part about dogs is that you outlive them. Yes, you know that going into it, but it still is tough to part with them. I figure it's the price we pay for having them be such a special part of our lives, and it's worth it.....WELL worth it. The problem is that when the leave they take a part of you with them.

It's this angle of it that I've been thinking about. My mom and dad are long gone, but the difference between losing them and losing a dog is that my parents, especially my father, is a PART of me, and as long as I live he will live. What I do, how I think, what I say......it's all connected to him.

When I lose a dog, it's just empty. Gone. Like a big chunk of me vanished. For me it's much different than losing a human family member.

Anyone else feel the same?

08-Jan-19
We've got yorkies and they are the most needy, demanding little critters. But we love them so much. They add a lot to our lives.

I hope more dog owners are like you.

08-Jan-19
Read that Leatherwall thread for your answer!

08-Jan-19
Yes. I’d put worthy humans in front of the best dogs if it came to that. But, good dogs are never replaced. They are gone. You get pictures and have the memory’s but, there is an empty when they go that truly never gets filled. Because they take that part with them.

I type this as I set in front of my dog that recently passed. His ashes are in an oak box with his name and picture carved on it. I will have other dogs Lord Willing. They be good ones that will have a piece of my heart too. But, none will replace or measure up to that dog.

I mean this unfortunately. I’d done it without thought. If I’d been there when that piece of human trash hurt that puppy like he did, I’d killed him. Dead right there before thinking about it. That’s what any good dog means to me. Regardless of who’s they are. So, you can imagine what my dogs mean to me.

08-Jan-19
Woods,

In the last year and a half Robin and I have said goodbye to our two labs. You are right, a piece of you is gone forever.

I still get up for my morning walk and think they will be going with me. Not a day goes by that I don't think of them and miss them terribly.

Robin is better at it because she lost her mom when she was 17. She asked me after our second passed, and I was in tears, if my life would have been better if I never had them. It helped a lot.

Google 'Rainbow Bridge' if you have not already read it. I do believe they will be waiting for us and coming fast and hard when we cross over.

08-Jan-19

Hawkarcher's embedded Photo
Hawkarcher's embedded Photo
Best dog ever. Mister Moose died in my arms July 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM. One heck of a pheasant dog, with me having little to do with it.

08-Jan-19
I felt bad at how sad I was. I’ve lost relatives I didn’t cry for that much. Dogs are different.

08-Jan-19
"I felt bad at how sad I was. I’ve lost relatives I didn’t cry for that much. Dogs are different."

THIS!!!!^^^^ I didn't cry as much when my dad passed as when my dog did. Like you say, they're different.

My dad was 86, he died in his sleep and it wasn't unexpected. Maybe that's part of it?

09-Jan-19
In 2002 I had to put my best hunting buddy down... (Scottish Golden) That one hurt a very long time, I felt that I murdered him. Yet intellectually I knew his suffering was killing him with pain that made him convulse(cancer)...

I inherited my parents dog and he was a cute tri color doxie that was blind. He's an interesting story for another time.... I've always been a bird hunter and the Scottish Goldens were my breed. But my employee convinced me to get one of his Queensland Heelers after 2 years without a dog. I got the runt of the litter, a little blue female and besides yelling at me all the time to play Frisbee, she's a delightful package of energy that keeps me moving.... she recently made friends with a local pot belly pig and likes to roll in his shit..... gawd help me...

09-Jan-19

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Good thread. Although my girl is only 2 these years are flying by and I’m not looking forward to it. She is definitely human like with her personality. She lives the tough life lol

09-Jan-19
Having raised 2 kids and many dogs, the nearest analogy I have for my relationship with my dog(s) is to liken it to having a permanent 5-6 year old as a companion. Sentient enough to function yet still wholly dependent. Innocent of heart, even the mischief they cause is most likely not malicious at all. Most of all they demand to be with you always. It'd take a sociopath to not overly bond to a critter of that description.

That stated, I distinguish between good dogs and bad - meaning the degree of connection we have. As much as I wax poetic about the dogs I've known, there are some I was fine with their absence.

09-Jan-19

I saw your thread last night, Lou. Thought you could use this on your playlist.

An old man once told me, "You can be married six or seven times and each of those women can be a good woman... but you only get one good dog."

09-Jan-19
WW, we are the same age and same history with dogs. Had some great hunting dogs and one of the best one was stolen and it was more disturbing than losing one to death but it doesn't even hold a candle in losing a child/adult, no comparison. A dog can be replace but your son/daughter can never be replace, coming up to the 3rd anniversary date on the death of my son.

09-Jan-19

Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
Running at 7.6 MPH, and slammed on the brakes into this point and Held this hen pheasant for 3 minutes and about 50 pictures. Never moved a muscle and couldn’t see him breathing till she took flight. All that moved was his head till I released him.
Running at 7.6 MPH, and slammed on the brakes into this point and Held this hen pheasant for 3 minutes and about 50 pictures. Never moved a muscle and couldn’t see him breathing till she took flight. All that moved was his head till I released him.
Gonna be a hard time when Levi and I have to part ways. We hunt like a team should.

09-Jan-19
A dog may help ease the pain somewhat but after losing a few close friends and a parent their death in no way is close to losing them. But feel free to cry, express an emotion for you four legged pals. They generally deserve it.

09-Jan-19
I agree with you, it's not the same at all. Just different. An especially a child. Maybe because in the natural order of things you understand that if life goes "according to plan", that your parents will pass before you do. In a sense you know the same thing about a dog. But it's still different, or at least with me it is.

09-Jan-19
I know what you mean WW.

09-Jan-19
It ain't until you lose a dog that you realize who really "owns" who.

09-Jan-19
Watching a dog can show how one can appreciate the shear joys of life...

Ruby and our flooded two-track last spring.

09-Jan-19
I had a real white yellow lab named Ruby. Man that was good dog......I stopped getting dogs when that one died.

09-Jan-19
Randy Ruby is a Fox Red lab...two recessive genes modify the Yellow lab color. She'll be two this summer.

09-Jan-19
I hope you have many good years together.....

09-Jan-19
Coincidentally, this article came to me today.

Man's best friend has been man's best friend for a long time.

New Evidence Suggests Dogs Reached North America 10,000 Years Ago

The skeletal remains of the Stillwell II dog.

The skeletal remains of three ancient dogs found buried in Illinois now represent the earliest evidence for the presence of domesticated dogs in the Americas. It’s also the oldest known intentional burial of individual canines in the global archaeological record.

Domesticated dogs have been in North America for at least 10,000 years, according to new research published in American Antiquity... (continued)

09-Jan-19

09-Jan-19

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
WW,

Great thread!

My puppy will be just seven years old next month, but already I'm dreading the day we'll have to say Goodbye to her.

She is so sweet, so gentle, so kind, so amazingly loving, and so smart that when the time comes, it's going to be one of the toughest days of my life.

09-Jan-19

09-Jan-19

sureshot's embedded Photo
sureshot's embedded Photo
Just went through this a couple of days ago....Max would have been 10 this February. Was fortunate to have him as a companion, best dog I've ever known and he definitely took a piece of me with him.

09-Jan-19
My sympathies sureshot. I know it well.

09-Jan-19
Sureshot I’m very sorry. He made you happy almost as much as you did him.

10-Jan-19

Mike B's embedded Photo
Mike B's embedded Photo

10-Jan-19
Best way to live life is to be the man your dog thinks you are.

10-Jan-19
We have 4 in-house dogs and 2 outsiders. My wife's black lab is blind w/cataracts and is insulin dependent. 2 others are nearing their end. One of our horses is blind in one eye and another has a nerve disease. Animals, especially dogs, tear out a part of your heart when they leave you. Of our 6, 5 are rescue dogs. We are elderly and so are they, but their love and comfort is consoling. God surely has dogs in heaven!

10-Jan-19
Sorry for your loss but that's an awesome looking dog, Sureshot. He looks like he's King of the world with that pose!

10-Jan-19

PECO's embedded Photo
PECO's embedded Photo
Had to put my best friend down in Sept. He was a 16.5 year old Siberian Husky. I rescued him when he was 8. Definitely a painful void in my heart. The neighbors dogs barking ain't filling it.

10-Jan-19

orionsbrother's embedded Photo
orionsbrother's embedded Photo
From my wedding. He was the ring bearer. Thus the small carabiner on his collar.

10-Jan-19
Now THAT'S awesome! My wife and I should have done that with the setter I had (she gave it to me) when we got married.

• Sitka Gear