HA/KS 12-Jan-19
HA/KS 12-Jan-19
nowheels 12-Jan-19
gflight 12-Jan-19
Mike the Carpenter 12-Jan-19
South Farm 14-Jan-19
WV Mountaineer 14-Jan-19
12-Jan-19
We had a heavy wet snow last night. I think it is our heaviest snow of the season so far.

Our neighbors in the two houses to the west are a woman of about 90 and a 95 year old man.

He is usually out at the crack of dawn with his snowblower after a snow, but wasn't out today. I thought maybe he was out of town on a trip. I was taking a break before starting on their walks after shoveling ours.

Fortunately, my break was a little longer than I planned and he came out with his snowblower. I almost insulted him and deprived him of the pleasure of helping our neighbor and doing his walks and driveway as well.

12-Jan-19
My folks (88 and 92) still burn wood. My sister fusses at me because I don't haul the wood from the pile to the porch for them, (I live closer than either of my siblings). What I can't get through to her is things like that is what keeps them going. Ma usually has a list of "sonny do's" as she calls them for me, but gripes about losing her independence. ;)

12-Jan-19
Not sure why the image is like that, but image tools don't seem to let me rotate it either.

12-Jan-19

HA/KS's embedded Photo
At 95, still going strong and loves to run his machine.
HA/KS's embedded Photo
At 95, still going strong and loves to run his machine.

12-Jan-19
Good for him. I hope I can make it to 95 and still be able to do things like that. Well, except for the blowing snow part - I hope it’s not cold enough then in Georgia to need a snow blower :-)

12-Jan-19
Plan on burning wood as retirement exercise myself.

I have a 90ish friend who gets upset if you try to do or help him without being asked.

I have held a ladder for him before and he scares the crap outta me....

12-Jan-19

Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo
I’m 46 and ran my machine today too. HA!!

Glad that storm, and every other one has missed us this season. Here winter is 1/2 over and we have no snow in my part of Michigan, and I’m LOVING it.

14-Jan-19
Shoveling his own snow and carrying his own wood is probably what keeps the guy alive all these years. I'd still ask if he wants some help though just to be neighborly.

14-Jan-19
My grandmother died last year at the age of 97. She was bed ridden by Alzheimer’s the last 8 months of her life. Couldn’t talk either. It came on so quickly. From active to inactive in a couple months.

I told you that to tell you this. She’s get so mad if one of my uncles, cousins, or myself would carry in her coal buckets. She didn’t mind us carrying up the wood and keeping it stacked neatly on the porch. She actually depended on that since hitting 90. She didn’t like carrying it due to having to come up a huge flight of stairs. Porch was 14 feet off the ground. But, she insisted on the 5 gallon buckets of coal as hers. And, she burned 5 tons a winter so that was a lot of trips. Said it kept her young.

All she’d let us do is shovel the buckets up for her. She had about 25 we’d keep full and in the dry of the basement. She’d use three a day. But, she always kept another 10 on the porch for heavy snows.

As soon as my uncles and aunts bought her a new double wide and moved her into it at the age of 95, she started down. She was simply bored. Then it caught up to her. No one can complain with such longevity in life but, I’ll never think any different about what caused her disease to advance so rapidly.

• Sitka Gear