NvaGvUp 20-Jan-19
Tonybear61 20-Jan-19
bigeasygator 20-Jan-19
mooseknuckle 20-Jan-19
bigeasygator 20-Jan-19
bigeasygator 20-Jan-19
Mooseknuckle 20-Jan-19
16-Jan-19
And we think our government is a mess....

From Fox News:

"In a devastating blow to British Prime Minister Theresa May, the British Parliament rejected a bill Tuesday that lists the terms of the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union — more than two years after the country's historic 2016 referendum that resulted in the decision to depart the E.U."

https://www.foxnews.com/world/theresa-may-brexit-deal-defeated-by-record-margin-what-happens-now

Matt

16-Jan-19
So, just how does the EU think they can keep the UK from departing anyway?

Sounds like the decision was made via public vote...

16-Jan-19
HDE,

As I understand it, the EU can't prevent the UK from departing under article 50. But, without a definitive exit deal, approved by the UK Parliament, the actual departure will be total chaos and potentially disastrous for the Brits. May has failed to develop that plan after over 2 years, and now her own party is starting to turn on her.

Matt

16-Jan-19
This goes under "you can't trust the voters." They voted to get out, and now many have changed their minds - at least according to polling.

Maybe it goes under "you can't trust the ruling class of politicians and the press."

16-Jan-19
The Brits will probably just roll over and take it...they have Centuries of practice as sheep to the ruling class.

Got to give credit to the French, for finally showing some spine !

16-Jan-19
The UK will be officially out of the EU on March 29, 2019, with or without an exit deal with the EU. By all accounts, a "no deal" could crush the UK economy. They could also postpone the departure date until a deal is in place. Or, they could put the whole Brexit deal back out to the voters in a new referendum.

May is stuck between a rock and a hard place. She is obligated to negotiate an exit plan with the EU, based on a referendum that she was against in the first place.

Matt

16-Jan-19
I have to laugh.......Matt, this is a classic.....

"And we think our government is a mess...." I am most certain that comparing the Brits situation to our own will soothe the ailing hearts of the complainants here on the CF and elsewhere.

I say let's feel even better and compare our "mess" with the "mess" in El Salvador. There. That should stop the bitching here once and for all.

Did I hear a reference to "sheep" somewhere? Amazing.

The Rock

16-Jan-19
The British Parliament is great theatre.

Members yell at each other regularly and even get into fistfights.

19-Jan-19
“Maybe it goes under "you can't trust the ruling class of politicians and the press."

Brexit was the result of the conservatives in the British government convincing enough people that leaving the EU was the path to “Make Britain Great Again.” It was nationalism and a “Britain First” mentality at its finest (aka worst) - Brexits rallying points were on perceived issues of trade, immigration, and national identity - and the reality has now dawned on the populace that isolationism has a serious price and that whatever deal they end up with is likely going to be far worse than what they had while they were in the EU. They really don’t have any options at this point. Chaos indeed.

19-Jan-19
BEG x2

19-Jan-19
”Sounds like alarmist propaganda.”

Precisely HH. Like southern border crisis, trade deficits, Muslim immigrant terrorists, etc.

There’s no time to do much of anything, HH. The process has already started to leave the EU and that can’t be undone. Looking more and more like it’ll all go down without any kind of deal with the EU as well.

19-Jan-19
"The British Parliament is great theatre. Members yell at each other regularly and even get into fistfights."

Now, there's a reason to run for office...:)

20-Jan-19
Britain's voters voted to leave the EU, but their leaders, who think they know better than the peons, are refusing to get it done.

We're seeing essentially the same story play out here, only with a different cast.

20-Jan-19
NvaGvUp appropriately stated. I know most of my senators, representatives, governor in my home state have not represented me for a few decades now.

20-Jan-19

bigeasygator's Link
The UK is leaving the EU. That part is more or less done. The wheels have been put in motion, and any alternatives to Brexit have been labeled as non-starters. The link provides a good article on the timeline towards the upcoming Brexit day as triggered by the Article 50 notification.

It’s not a question of if it’ll happen, it’s how it’s goong to happen and that is where the auK leadership can’t find common ground. They are the proverbial dog that has now caught the car by the bumper.

20-Jan-19
So. Am i right that Theresa May wants to pull out of the EU? And her voters keep being wishy washy on what they want? Changing their minds? Then the British parliament says no to the EU pull out? Is the EU a part of this globalist BS? Excuse my ignorance but I've been more concerned with our own continent lately.

20-Jan-19
No, that’s not really what’s going on moose.

The Brits already voted to pull out of the EU. The process of formal withdrawal has been initiated and is currently slated to go into effect at the end of March. The next step is to negotiate terms of the withdrawal. That is where the hang up currently stands - in the terms of the withdrawal agreement.

20-Jan-19

bigeasygator's Link
Here is a link that summarizes what the key negotiating points are between the EU and the U.K.

20-Jan-19
Yo. Bigeasy! Thanks for the link. And your response. Pretty cool. I'm trying to get my head around the European dynamic. I dont think it works. Jus saying......Bear with me. Ha ha. (Pun) Spring bear is around the corner. I welcome all you guys to come up and hang out. Bear hunting northern sask. style. OTC by the way.

• Sitka Gear