Zim 05-Feb-19
Highlife 06-Feb-19
Zim 07-Feb-19
Highlife 07-Feb-19
Norseman 07-Feb-19
Zim 07-Feb-19
Zim 07-Feb-19
05-Feb-19
I just bought a home in NW Indiana and would like to make an attempt to install a ceiling mounted climate control heating/cooling unit in the attached garage, adequate enough to display my taxidermy mounts. We only have one vehicle, a Toyota 4Runner, and would also have a ping pong table in there too (wife is Chinese). Probably will park truck outside a lot anyway. Garage is 24' x 24', will be insulated and drywalled, and is shaded entirely by mature trees to the south. Yard drainage is excellent so moisture from that is not an issue. Wanted to get some thoughts on this. Wondering if a dehumidifier would be necessary as well. I don't plan to heat/cool this area as much as the house, but adequately. To use basically as a combo rec room. Any suggestions on what HVAC unit I might consider? House has natural gas service. My desire, not the wife's. I don't want, nor have space for my mounts in the house. Thanks.

05-Feb-19
Is that big garage door going to stay shut all the time? Have a good seal on the bottom? Any windows or side door? Are they good quality and seal tight. What kind of mounts, a few head mounts or birds, fish, flull body body mounts? I wish you the best but see insect and mice issues in short order.

05-Feb-19
My 9 x 20 garage door is R17, it makes a big difference.

05-Feb-19

KSflatlander's Link
I recently built a 25x38 garage and used a through the wall/window unit from Home Depot. It works good for heat and ac. However, the wife may not like the unit sticking out the back side of the house. But nevertheless it is an option. See link.

05-Feb-19
All shoulder mounts to be hung on walls. Mice climb up drywall walls? One service door, one overhead, excellent seals.

06-Feb-19
Yeah they can from the inside of the wall. Don't take them lightly.

07-Feb-19
How would they possibly get from the inside of the wall through the drywall to the mount? Eat a hole through the drywall? Anyone ever see this?

07-Feb-19
Yeah in my own garage

07-Feb-19
More worried about bugs and worms then mice if in the garage. Keep it DRY in there.

07-Feb-19
Through the center of the wall or just around the edges?

07-Feb-19
This door would rarely be operated. We are empty nesters, no kids, only one vehicle. I am on the road 4 months/year traveling on business, for which I use a rental car in one week periods. I would leave my truck parking in there during those time periods. Garage would not be cluttered with boxes or work benches. Nothing on the floor for cover. Space is to be used most as a ping pong rec room for the wife.

I actually doubt if we'd even need cooling, as it has a concrete slab floor, will be insulated, and in the shade 24/7 @ 365 days/year.

• Sitka Gear