tonyo6302 06-Feb-19
Owl 06-Feb-19
jjs 06-Feb-19
MF 06-Feb-19
tonyo6302 06-Feb-19
Grey Ghost 06-Feb-19
dallsheepstkr 06-Feb-19
06-Feb-19
Wife and I will be visiting our daughter in Anchorage this August. Looking for some recommendations for a day or 2 of fishing. I would really like to get on the Kenai with a fly rod but have heard some horror stories about the crowds. I am open to flying out for a day. Halibut is another option but would really like to hook something good on a fly rod. I'm wondering if I could drive to Seward area, find a cheap hotel and do both. I'll be doing this by myself while the wife and daughter have some quality time. It'll be tough but I think I can do it:)

06-Feb-19

tonyo6302's embedded Photo
25 pound Halibut.
25 pound Halibut.
Rockfish
Rockfish
A sure thing would be a Halibut trip out of Whittier. Book now if you decide to do that. I am unsure if any trout or salmon runs will be happening in August.

.. . . . .

. . . . .

Several charters run out of Whittier, carrying anywhere from 8 to14 fishermen, depending on the boat.

Mind the Portage Tunnel times, because the Skippers will not wait on you, and you won't get your money back if you are late - lame - and lazy.

I had a blast back in 2016.

06-Feb-19
Love that smile and the misplaced UK hat, tony. Talk about "a fish out of water." :)

06-Feb-19
Go to Montana creek near Talkeetna. A 2 hour drive or so from Anc. In August, you can get into kings, pinks, chums, and fresh silvers all on that creek alone. Plus rainbows. Pretty fun stuff and water is clear enough to sight fish with the fly rod.

06-Feb-19
There are a lot of creeks and rivers on the drive north toward talkeetna and you might get lucky with a clear day for a spectacular view! Willow creek just north of wassilla can be fun as well as the little creek that flows into it that you cross on the bridge going into willow.

06-Feb-19
Owl, that UK hat brings me lots of luck ! LOL !

.. . . .

.. . . . .

I was up in Anchorage working again, back in September 2014. Fished several lakes, rivers, and streams north up to Wasilla and back. I would watch the trout follow my lures all the way in, but nary a bite. I didn't catch but one small cutthroat. Sept just seemed to be fizzling. Even targeted Silvers on the bay that were supposed to be running - nada.

Maybe a fly rod would have made the difference. Anyhow, I have not a clue what the fish will do in August, but Halibut out of Whittier or Seward would be a sure bet. Homer would be my number 1 choice if I ever get the time.

06-Feb-19
"Owl, that UK hat brings me lots of luck ! LOL !" - It must. Why else would you wear it? ;)

06-Feb-19
Used to go to Homer for halibut (it is a drive from Anchorage but worth it) or Anchor PT., a lot of land but want to get a way from people is a fly-in across the bay. Be a good time to start doing your home work now and target it in, all good with a pole.

06-Feb-19
I won't be bringing any fishing gear so would need to hook up with a guide. Is it a problem getting a spot on a drift boat by myself? I don't mind fishing with a few strangers.

06-Feb-19

Drift Boat, Yakima River, 2017
Drift Boat, Yakima River, 2017
Small Rainbow on a Fly Rod, Yakima River
Small Rainbow on a Fly Rod, Yakima River
There are several places along the Kenai where you can hire a guide. It will not be a problem if you book early.

.. . . . .

. . . . .

I haven't a clue about any other river systems.

Where is Muskeg when you need him?

06-Feb-19
MF,

It's been over a decade ago, but my cousin and I had great salmon fishing on the Kenai at public access spots around Soldotna AK. We were there in early September, so the king salmon run was done, but the silvers were in thick. The crowds weren't bad at all, and we never had any trouble finding water to ourselves.

Again, that was a while ago, so take it for what it's worth. I don't think things change to quickly up there, however.

Matt

06-Feb-19
Depends on where you go. In Talkeetna Dave Fish does float trips on Montana Creek, great rainbow and salmon possibilities. Fishing on the Kenai any that bad. I do the Russian River ferry and fish the sanctuary, always limit out.

• Sitka Gear