Contributors to this thread:
elkmtngear 06-Feb-19
TT-Pi 06-Feb-19
Owl 06-Feb-19
TT-Pi 06-Feb-19
06-Feb-19

elkmtngear's Link
"Pope admits clerical abuse of nuns including sexual slavery"

"Pope Francis has admitted that clerics have sexually abused nuns, and in one case they were kept as sex slaves.

He said in that case his predecessor, Pope Benedict, was forced to shut down an entire congregation of nuns who were being abused by priests.

It is thought to be the first time that Pope Francis has acknowledged the sexual abuse of nuns by the clergy.

He said the Church was attempting to address the problem but said it was "still going on".

Last November, the Catholic Church's global organisation for nuns denounced the "culture of silence and secrecy" that prevented them from speaking out.

The Pope's comments come amid long-running cases of sexual abuse of children and young men by priests at the Church".

Story at the link

06-Feb-19
"seeing women as second class"

"in ways that went against chastity"

Is this man missing the point? ..................1 Timothy 5:2 " Treat Older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, in all purity."

06-Feb-19
With respects to my Catholic friends, celibacy is a choice not an edict. The apostle Paul made that abundantly clear. Preferable? Yes, but if one is incapable we have the institution of marriage.

The Vatican will keep fielding these issues so long as their clergy have to be (publicly) celibate.

06-Feb-19
There are many issues of "public behavior" that clean the outside of the cup, only... Many Catholics do not internalize the message of Christ, Salvation, and Grace. But instead are concerned with Deeds and appearances. That is an institutional issue.

Read the Bible for yourself ... at least the N.T. Have a direct relationship with the God of the Bible. Then see if the institution is helpful.

The things I hear Catholics say makes me wonder if they open the book at all. If they are getting the message.

• Sitka Gear