gflight 11-Feb-19
one-eye 11-Feb-19
one-eye 11-Feb-19
DL 11-Feb-19
Annony Mouse 12-Feb-19
TD 14-Feb-19
10-Feb-19

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
I thought this was interesting. Henry, you might really like this...

10-Feb-19
Probably written by an urban metrosexual...screw urbanization...thank God this is still America, where I CAN see stars off my back patio!

10-Feb-19
Citiots will always have a smaller pollution footprint.

Many liberals want to remove people from the country to the city just for that reason. Make all the rest U.N. protected land...

10-Feb-19
This article didn't even mention herbicide, pesticide run off, the dead zone in the gulf caused by farmers. Wow!

10-Feb-19
I wonder if the study took into consideration the percentage of the country dweller's carbon footprint that actually goes to provide for the needs of the city dwellers?

In other words, every time a city dweller takes a bite of food, aren't they contributing to the carbon and methane belching country bumpkin's polluting lifestyle?

KPC

10-Feb-19
Yes, they are Kevin. And if the production/consumption processes are so "questionable", I at least wonder why farmers/rural folks participate in it. Best I can figure, they are like city folk who in a capitalist society do exactly what Adam Smith predicted, people pursue their own self interest.

Maybe we are more alike than different?

Kevin, BTW, did you watch Chris Wallace today? Their person of the week was a young lady raised in a rural area by a survivalist father. She was not allowed to attend school. She left home, turned her back on her family and now has earned a PhD.

She is writing a book about the lack of performance in college from people educated in rural areas. Will be an interesting read, wonder if she will connect narrow-minded thinking with her work?

10-Feb-19

Dirk Diggler's embedded Photo
Dirk Diggler's embedded Photo

10-Feb-19
I'm not a big CW fan Frank, but I did just watch the segment just to know what you are referring to.

I get the impression that her parents (especially her father) were paranoid nutcases.

As to her new book, it will remain to be seen what she considers "rural," if she's talking about people who were fully educated in those "rural" schools, or if she is referring to people like herself who are actually prevented from attending school.

The segment did however reinforce my belief that I don't care who you are, what your upbringing was like, or how you have been repressed or denied, in America everyone can be a success. America is about equal opportunity, not equal outcome.

KPC

10-Feb-19
Amen to your last paragraph!

10-Feb-19
Funny how many "citiots" stereotype "rural" education and call people bumpkins.

In moving from Bladensburg MD to the Appalachian holler it was a shock when the quality of education was better and the work more rigorous....

Won't be surprised if she determines that through her study for her book unless of course she's not being objective.

I didn't get to watch. Was she home schooled? What was her parents education level?

A relative of mine who wrote speeches for FDR acted like he didn't get any education from his former family and was just a poor hick. It all according to him began with him starting a printing press and local newspaper (his dad did this) then getting a break and interviewing Carnegie which inspired his "Think and grow rich" and other books.

When in fact his father was a self learned dentist and his step mother was a teacher.

10-Feb-19
I guess every village has an idiot.

10-Feb-19
You know it...

10-Feb-19
Self-learned dentist...like everyone's dad who pulled a loose tooth? Lol.

I'll pass on a root canal.

More than one village idiot most places.

10-Feb-19
g,

You example is a sample of one. There is data compiled nationally, regionally etc.

10-Feb-19
Judging by standards of today on Dentistry? He passed in 1908.

Schools are different, teachers are different, class sizes are different. My experience was becoming better educated and being behind when I arrived.

My point is your bumpkin bullshit is just that. Stereotypical stuff and you don't even consider life's lessons that those kids have.

10-Feb-19
I certainly consider it. This thread was started because of Henry's post comparing the city to rural. That is what I was addressing g, stereotyping, which occurs on both sides. I think slamming city ways is as much BS as calling people country bumpkins.

Hope Henry will be honest and answer if he posted the meme just because he thought he would get a reaction. I started this to show the difference in how things are handled city versus country in humor. We city boys (of which I am not since 2001, but still in my blood) are just a little more direct. I thought I would oblige the stereotype by starting the thread.

g, I guess I am doing a lousy job of communicating it, but that is the point of many of my posts. We all have different perspectives, different experiences in life. All of those experiences brought an informal education with them. College was easy for me, life not so much. That tells me most folks that make it to our age have PhDs on what really matters, whether they lived in the city or on a farm. Maybe we ought to try respecting each other a little more, I am not talking about here but in our nation. People keep pointing out how diversity makes us see our differences, but both sides are pointing out how we are different than alike.

And yes, I mean all of us could do a better job, myself included. I try with these types of posts.

10-Feb-19
Missed the other thread......Back with discourse.

We can both find items to argue our point..

"Rural schools typically score above average on state tests. Rural schools also enjoy broad support from parents and their communities, and rural students give their teachers higher marks on such aspects of teaching as understanding the subject matter, helping students, and maintaining order in the classroom, Loveless writes, referring to findings of a survey conducted by Metropolitan Life."

As far Pollution per person the city is lower. Farming causes a lot but other industries cause more. All according to the specific city whether the pollution from cars is a factor.

10-Feb-19
There is no need for farming, you can get your food in the stores where it made. I saw a woman in Baltimore educate me on that. I am so glad I went to school when I did. I had great teachers that knew history and had to be sharp to teach me algebra. Algebra got me a great job that I kept my whole career. I worked in emulsion polymerization and would scale up recipes from a two liter bottle to a 7800 gallon reactor. No calculators back then. Just a slide rule and I wore out a bunch of them. When I got a computer and calculator the job was a whole lot easier. Also used to clean guns in shop class.

After watching all the liberals I have decided to go squirrel hunting because the squirrels are farting in my woods and I can't have that. In the crock pot with them. They don't make squirrels in my local grocery store.

10-Feb-19
g,

It is all perspective, and both have good and bad. Yep, we agree.

BTW, our local suburban schools, and my college, teach math courses on-line and via satellite to several rural high schools in KS. Not an uncommon practice as rural areas have a more difficult time attracting and retaining math/science teachers whose market value is much greater typically when in closer proximity to urban/suburban areas.

But, I am a sample of one as well, yet rumor has it this is not an uncommon practice.

10-Feb-19
Every city that’s near the coast or a river dumps their partially treated sewage into the water. Sometimes it’s not treated. The amount of waste water produced by a city is staggering. Not just waste water gets dumped into the sewer either.

10-Feb-19
Some of the village Idiots get elected to Congress. Makes you wonder if that village was Made up entirely of idiots?

10-Feb-19
"There is no need for farming, you can get your food in the stores where it made. "

Dad was in the army with a guy from New York that swore up and down that milk didn't come from cows. "I've seen the factory where it is made!" This was in 1944. Fast forward to the early 70's. In junior high in the lunch room I got in an argument with a classmate about tuna. He swore up and down that tuna was not a fish. We finally asked him where it came from then and he said "It comes in cans from the welfare office."

10-Feb-19
On balance I guarentee there is little difference in the carbon footprint based on where you live. The farmers footprint is distributed amongst all those who live in the city, same as the rancher. I hear were headed into a natural cooling trend, I'm sure it'll be all mans fault

10-Feb-19
Call it climate change or weather that covers it all.....

11-Feb-19

gflight's Link
I was surprised to see that California had eight of 10 most polluted U.S. cities.

11-Feb-19
Why, lots of farming happens in CA. ;-)

11-Feb-19
Yeah, and then all of these eco friendly urban dwelling “Einstein’s”, send semi-truck loads of garbage by the tens of thousands of tons, to 100 year landfills into rural America. Where the leachate has to be drained off and taken to other treatment facilities, into perpetuity.

11-Feb-19
Biased garbage. If you consider the "carbon footprint" to be the end-all for pollution, you are very sadly mistaken. Maybe time for another sabbatical.

11-Feb-19
"We" (all humans, sadly, it seems) like to group people/ideas/beliefs into constructs that fit what "we" believe. That belief being entirely based on the series of experiences we have had up to that point in our existence... It can make for a pretty frustrating view of the world. Them, they, those are at fault... I, me, us - make things better.

Whoops... forgot those on the other side of the proverbial fence had the same thought.

There are really bright, inquisitive, hard working, good folks that live in the country... and the inner city... and every where in between. Even in the poorest areas of both, and the richest.

We just have to be willing to let ourselves see what's already there.

That level of empathy, could help on a lot of levels.

I do think the book that the woman noted in H4W's initial post would be interesting.

11-Feb-19

gflight's Link
Just like my example with Oliver Napoleon Hill, embellished to sell books....

Tara is one of seven children, three of whom have gone on to earn their a Ph.D.: Tara, Tyler and Richard, said Atkin.

“That’s 42 percent of their children. I think you’d be hard-pressed to find a public school with those statistics,” he said.

I am starting to see a pattern of dislike of religion especially Catholicism and Mormonism with some who have a similar worldview as myself. I will always support the 1st amendment freedom of religion and while there seems to be dysfunction in this story....

I sure the ell would want to have 3 out of 7 PHDs dysfunctional than some other families I have had knowledge of.

11-Feb-19
What an idiotic bunch of crap. The rural areas require more fuel, and often are the homes of useful things like power plants. Folks in NYC often do not own cars. Folks in Yuma, Colorado, for example, can't live without a pickup truck.

11-Feb-19

11-Feb-19
Agreed BK, rural areas often house power plants that the metro areas consume in mass quantities. Large cities that number in the millions use a lot of MW's, so their contribution to the carbon footprint is proportionately the same, may not be concentrated there, but just as "guilty"...

City dwellers car pool or use public transit systems to save money, not to contribute to clean air.

11-Feb-19
Farmers and ranchers should go on strike for a year and not sell any produce or animals.

11-Feb-19
Still have to feed animals and they still fart and it would cost the farmers much of their livelihood, but it would be fun to watch citiots starve...;^) /sarcasm

11-Feb-19
Will gets it 100%!

Started in fun, relax guys. I grew up in the cement jungle, I live in the country for a reason. It is what makes me happy.

People live in the city because they like it enough to do so.

We are all in this together. And, I could outlast farmers going on a strike. :-)

11-Feb-19
g,

I agree there is always two sides to every story. But, a person believing in potions at a time medical care is needed is a fruit cake, IMO. I can understand multiple people being motivated to continue their education, maybe even motivated to show their children. Why the need to hire an attorney? Also says something to me.

I believe in freedom of religion, and have a soft spot for Catholicism. I also know people who were hurt by folks within the church that they should have been able to trust, and I am not talking about nuns.

11-Feb-19
You don't have a family attorney?

11-Feb-19
Yep, and you had to ask because he has never been in the public needing to defend me.

11-Feb-19
I would have to assume you have never been to a protest where you were set up or had a child write a negative story about you because they were not raised in public school watching reality shows and wanted to make a buck....;^)

11-Feb-19
No, I have lived a boring life, trying to be a productive member:-)

11-Feb-19
FWIW, the article is from 2011, the author goes to (went to) Berkeley, and she sources the findings from a pro-global warming "non-profit."

11-Feb-19
One-eye,

If you Google it, more than one source available.

11-Feb-19
"The IIED report, which was published in 2009, spawned 20 or 30 follow-up studies..." most of which likely used the same data set. And, no surprise, they all found the same thing. My point is that there is a slant and that one should be cautious when reading and absorbing "research" of any type. I would make the same point if the research came from some ultra-conservative site. Too much "research" is done retrospectively, where they look for evidence based on a conclusion, not find a conclusion based on the evidence. Personally, I don't give a rip if urban areas do have a smaller "carbon footprint" than rural areas per capita, as that is a meaningless political designation anyway. I'm actually grateful that a lot of people do live in cities, as it leaves more room for the rest of us.

11-Feb-19
I concur with all of your logic.

11-Feb-19
Stupid Meaningless study just to get grant money.

12-Feb-19
When reality strikes...LOL. Most sane people would have realized this several billion dollars ago, but when one's mind is captured by the lemming left...

California to pull plug on billion-dollar bullet train, cites ballooning costs

California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced on Tuesday he is pulling the plug on the state's massive high-speed rail project from Los Angeles to San Francisco that was more than a decade behind schedule and billions in the red.

"Let's be real," Newsom said in his first State of the State address. "The current project, as planned, would cost too much and respectfully take too long. There's been too little oversight and not enough transparency."

continued

14-Feb-19

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear