jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
I have been on this forum on and off for 20 years and may be the supreme lurker of all time. Time to pick up my game...

Acquired a 1923 12 ga Ithaca side by side last spring. It is a Flues model and shoots 2 1/2 in shells. 28 inch barrels choked mod and full. 1 ounce max load. Took a nice spring gobbler and a great fall gobbler. Had a good chance at another fall gobbler but couldn’t do it as they are so magnificent to hunt in the spring. Gonna hit it hard this spring in MO. Whose ready for turkeys?

Who’s ready for turkey?

25-Feb-19
Looking forward to it. Will be chasing them with my Defiant Pro.

Good luck men.

25-Feb-19
I've only shotgun hunted them once but love old side by sides. Love chasing them with the bow. Now I am focused on calling for my 12 year old.

25-Feb-19
Jeff,

I don't care what a guy hunts with. I am on private, and the birds are very predictable. That's why I use a bow. I have several bale blinds out, but also use a DB to move as needed.

26-Feb-19
I’ve killed 4 gobblers with a recurve or longbow from blinds. I will have almost a whole week so if I shotgun one may try to stickbow one. It’s been a few years

26-Feb-19
I bowhunt in MN so can pick when I go all season. After a few years of waiting my wife got picked for season A, including opening day. We might still be dealing with 3 ft. of snow this year. All the roads in the key parts of the state (SE MN) were closed last couple of days due to snow, ice and high winds. Hopefully some birds will make it . Per the Madelia research center they can handle -70 IF they can get to their food.

26-Feb-19
I am starting to lose my fire for hunting turkeys even with my bow. I love to eat them so it will always keep me going, but i'm just not near as mad at them as I was in the past. I have hunted them with my bow only for about 10-15 years and shot 1-2 every year. Prior to that I killed 2 every year with a shotgun since like 1990. I will focus on getting my girls a bird. My oldest has tried to kill one with a bow for many years and we have continued to screw it up. Even though I lost my fire to chase them with a shotgun many years ago I believe I am looking more forward to taking my youngest one out this year. She will be going after them with a 20 gauge. I haven't been in run and gun mode in many years and I am actually looking forward to it.

26-Feb-19
I love turkey season! It took me awhile but I found a nice spot on public right next to private land. I hunt up in the catskills which is a 3 1/2 drive from long Island. Last year took my wife with me and it was 35 degrees opening morning. I took a big tom with the shotgun and we had a lot of action that morning until I called in the big guy close enough. The next day I took a smaller tom and that closed out my season. I spent the next couple of weekends calling for a friend in a different spot. This year i'll be taking two novice friends to my primo spot.

26-Feb-19
Can, not, wait! Love THUNDER CHICKEN season. Plus, my kids are rounding into the age where they are getting psyched about it. They walk around working a slate call and on nice mornings they want to open the door and see if they can make the neighborhood turkey gobble :)!

Really looking forward to getting them out there this spring.

26-Feb-19
They’re going crazy down here. Youth season starts sat the 9th and my oldest daughter is ready for some redemption this year.(0 for 3 last year)

26-Feb-19
We had a short Winter season. The weather wasn't that great but I went a couple of times with my Ravin Crossbow. I can kill a turkey as far away with the crossbow as I can with a shotgun. Didn't see a turkey. When Deer hunting I had gobblers all around me several times. I don't do a lot of turkey hunting in the spring because the white perch are running and I would rather catch them. When I am coming home from fishing I often see turkeys and two years in a row I have called a neighbor and told him where to set up the next morning. He got a gobbler both times exactly where I told him.

26-Feb-19
Be here before you know it. My son is talking about coming home for the opening few days.....I hope that works out. The feral hogs have really disrupted the turkey population on my property and the surrounding area since they have arrived.

26-Feb-19
I can see the hogs destroying a lot of nests which is another reason to hog hunt.

26-Feb-19

BIG BEAR's embedded Photo

26-Feb-19

26-Feb-19
“I can see the hogs destroying a lot of nests which is another reason to hog hunt.“

Kill everyone you see

26-Feb-19
I'm with Bowfreak on this one. I don't get as fired up about turkeys as I used to. A lot of that is because they've become plentiful and pretty easy to hunt around my place. It's just not much of a challenge any more, even with a bow.

I have a young friend who still hasn't killed one, though, so that's my focus this year.

Matt

26-Feb-19
We have a trap but so far have only tripped it on a single hog....and it damn near busted out. Work in progress, but the plan is to bait it and when they come three nights in a row trip the gate and kill them all.

26-Feb-19

jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
I passed on one of these guys last fall. Look at the beards on those dudes!

26-Feb-19

gflight's embedded Photo
gflight's embedded Photo
I think I only have hens this year....

26-Feb-19
Outside my barn last winter. They aren't as thick this year, but still plenty around.

Matt

26-Feb-19

jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
Let’s keep everyone psyched up!

26-Feb-19

longbeard's embedded Photo
Hell ya! Can’t wait!! Got a ton of these pics

26-Feb-19

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
This is a gobbler coming in for a landing right in front of my trail camera.

28-Feb-19

bigswivle's embedded Photo
bigswivle's embedded Photo

10-Mar-19

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Right outside our cabin this morning. 14 hens, two with beards, within easy shotgun range.

Pictures of toms together, hens by themselves. Wet as heck up here.

10-Mar-19

10-Mar-19

10-Mar-19
I’m so ready for spring!!! Thanks for the reminder that it’s right around to corner.

10-Mar-19
Ryan,

Got that product out today. Will keep you posted.

10-Mar-19
I killed two with a shotgun back in the 80s. That was fun but nothing compared to bow hunting them. I’ve got about thirty with a bow over the past 20 years and have two Ks tags for April. Looking forward to it.

10-Mar-19
If you don't get pumped after seeing those pics check your pulse or better yet have a friend do it because you are dead. Going back now a ways, but the first time I called in a spring mature Tom I was shaking so bad I shot a squirrel out of an old Ash stone cold dead. ;-) Wow. Those are some really nice pics. They got me to go rooting for my old calls which have been shelved for years and the first one I pull out is the killer original Red Wolfe gobble. The reed is dried and shot but ah...the memories, when all else failed late morning.

The Rock

11-Mar-19
Hunting NY pressured public land either with a gun or bow is a lot of fun. Unfortunately we have a lot of hunters who will move in on you while working a bird so I try to keep the tom as quiet as possible while he is coming in. That's usually not a problem since we have a lot of coyotes around now.

I received a survey about opening up a spring season on Long Island and hopefully it will happen. I hope they make it bow only though so it won't be too crowded and keep it safe. We already have a youth spring season.

11-Mar-19
Mint,

Smart. I hunted Pa. Red Rock also pressured. Many times I would give up morning prime time and slip in up high about 10:30 AM because we would close @ 12PM and send out a gobble. We hunted private on property next to George Washington State Park and Bowman's Tower in Bucks County and that was about as good as it gets. Send out a fly up in the evening, get an answer and slip on out. Half the work was done. All gone now to the root plow and $2M and up homes. Damn. This thread got me to checking my birth certificate.

The Rock

The Rock

11-Mar-19

From the trail cameras.
From the trail cameras.

11-Mar-19
Hey Frank,

Where did you find a trail camera that’s takes pictures in the future? (3/6/2020)

;-)

Matt

11-Mar-19
Nice Frank !!

11-Mar-19
Thanks Matt for pointing that out, I did not notice.

Thanks Chris.

11-Mar-19
That's what I've experienced too Rock. Usually after opening week it starts to heat up around 11:00am when a lot of hunters left the woods and that's a great time since the hens have gone a left the toms by then.

11-Mar-19

jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
Let’s keep it up

11-Mar-19

jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo

11-Mar-19
Nice picture jkmo, congrats!

11-Mar-19
Wish I had the pic's on my phone... Driving home from Boston yesterday, we are going through the city of Cambridge (think, Harvard, MIT, lots of people, houses and businesses) and there is this one little "common" space on the north side of route 2 (hwy we were driving) and there were 8-9 toms hanging out in the snow. I rolled the window down to gobble at them and they all got interested. The kids thought it was hilarious.

Gotta love turkeys :)

11-Mar-19

jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
This is why you call and they gobble but never come in...

11-Mar-19
jkmo,

You did not have to say a word. The picture says it all. ;-)

The Rock

11-Mar-19

I’m starting to feel it!!

11-Mar-19

11-Mar-19
Had a great weekend with my daughter during our youth season. The bird we hunted had about 20 hens with him which makes it tough(especially with a 10 yr old) we’ll try again this weekend.

11-Mar-19
bigswivle,

Good for the both of you. What could surpass spending time, bonding and recreation with your child?

Next time out feathers will fly.

The Rock

13-Mar-19
Saturday morning its on, a bit early but i'll be there.

17-Mar-19

jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
Here is a pretty recent trip

17-Mar-19
Nice!

17-Mar-19

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
After the boys dr apt in Boston last week, we drove past the birds in Cambridge again. To funny, a group of Tom's in the city...

20-Mar-19

20-Mar-19

shiloh's embedded Photo
First turkey killed this afternoon. He’s 6 years old.
shiloh's embedded Photo
First turkey killed this afternoon. He’s 6 years old.
He did everything on his own except knock off the safety which is too hard for him to do without moving a lot.

20-Mar-19
Shiloh - is that a 20? I ponder that with my kids, figuring a 20 would help reduce some recoil and keep them enjoying shooting... But I cant tell what that is and it has me wondering if your kiddo shoots a 12? Tips on helping kids get into it?

20-Mar-19
Congrats to both of you!

20-Mar-19
Thanks guys. Will it’s a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge. I added a kick lite tactical stock and a Burris fastfire III. I loaded some light handloads in #9 TSS for the kids. I shoot 1-5/8oz and they shoot 1oz. I shoot the same gun with the stock extended.

20-Mar-19
Will,

For youth we always used 870, 20 gauge youth models. Plenty of turkey killing power. Semis would have been better on recoil, but we seldom had complaints. Good luck to you!

07-Apr-19

jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo

07-Apr-19
Great trail cam pics, JKMO.

It's been a real show around here, lately, too. I've been seeing birds virtually every time I look outdoors. And the symphony of gobbles in the mornings and evenings has been a beautiful thing.

Matt

07-Apr-19

jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
Heard some gobbling this morning in the distance, not too long after day break. MO season starts April 15 and goes 3 weeks. Can take two birds

07-Apr-19

From the front window of my new house this morning.... My tag starts two weeks from tomorrow...... I took the 22nd and 23rd off from work....

07-Apr-19

And a pair of longbeards from the kitchen window a few days ago.....

07-Apr-19
Welcome to living in paradise, BB. I'm very happy for you and your family.

Matt

07-Apr-19

So am I Chris. Good pictures guys.

Turkey all over my place this weekend. Two toms 100 yards from my porch while I was sitting there.

07-Apr-19

Things are starting to heat up in front of my camera also. I can’t wait!!

07-Apr-19

Fun times in the near future!

07-Apr-19
Starts 4/24 here in CT. Can take 3 on private property and 2 on state land. I'll be happy with one bird. I'll be using my side by side 12ga or my longbow. If I get one with my gun first, the rest of the season will use LB. If I start with the LB (probably) and unsuccessful, I won't take out the gun until final week. If I get one with the LB, I'll just be on a high until deer season, and the gun will collect another year of dust.

07-Apr-19

Good luck Brian. I assume with a LB you do not use a blind? Are you sneaking up on them or using natural blinds that give your bow more room?

Came back from the farm and was able to review the SD cards I pulled. I am pumped myself, but it will be using a compound, 32" axle 2 axle and a pop-up blind.

08-Apr-19
Neighbors daughter got her first turkey off my place Saturday.

Told me thanks and that she left me two Tom's......;^)

Her older sister is 13, she got one also at her uncle's place.

I am more stoked for them....but am hella ready for my turn..

08-Apr-19
Opens May 1st in NY and I hunt up in the Catskills which is a 3 1/2 drive for me. I took off May 1st & 2nd. I'll be calling for a friend that never hunted turkeys before so he is really psyched. Then on the weekend I'll be hunting a different spot with another friend and since he was skunked last year while I limited out he will shoot first. Hopefully I'll get a chance to roll one over but I'll be just as happy if my friends score. Heck, I'm happy just hearing a few gobbles and being away from work out in the woods.

08-Apr-19
HfW, I have two semi permanent blinds that I can shoot my LB out of. But, most likely I'll be using my ghillie suit. I've only got one bowkill turkey, it was with my LB a few years ago. No blind, just camo.

08-Apr-19
Thanks Brian, good luck! That is really hunting. I have taken them out of my pop-up, and several as I was deer hunting in a stand well above them. But never how you are trying, that's impressive!

08-Apr-19
You took two days off Bear? Looks like you should just take time to open the kitchen window before coffee! Ha!

09-Apr-19

Ha !! If I open the door maybe they’ll come in and have coffee with me !! Loving the new house !!!

09-Apr-19
With a bit of training, BB, you should be able to get one of those jakes to jump right into the deep fryer without wasting a broad-head. ;-)

Matt

10-Apr-19

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
I had half of a Turkey Slam near my barn, yesterday. Rio Grande on the left, Merriam on the right.

Matt

10-Apr-19
Matt, I had a picture somewhere that I took one time where I had 3/4 a grand slam in front of me at one time! An Eastern, a Rio, and a Merriam's! They were likely all hybridized in reality but it was a cool experience. All the reintroductions they have done here in SD we have all 3 types scattered about.

10-Apr-19
Brotsky,

3 out of 4 is very cool. Here in Colorado, the Merriams are the only native subspecies. Rios were introduced in the '80s.

Our DOW's wild turkey plan has been one of the most successful conservation efforts in their history. We now have wild turkey populations in 53 of 63 counties. When I moved here from Boulder 20 years ago, it was rare to even see a wild turkey. The population has exploded since then. There were at least 30 at my barn this morning, and I've had as many as 50-60 at one time.

Matt

10-Apr-19
That’s pretty cool Matt..... how do you tell the difference ?? They look very similar to me.

10-Apr-19
BB,

The tips of the Rio's tail feathers are more yellowish, the Merriam's are almost white. Truth be told, the Rio in my pic probably has some Merriam blood in it. A full-blooded Rio doesn't have the light colored feathers on his rump.

Matt

10-Apr-19
They are pretty much all hybrid now. No real difference. But when I have more than one gobbler in front of me I'll take the one with the whitest fan every time. They are pretty.

10-Apr-19
Matt,

Awesome pictures!

10-Apr-19

Thanks, Frank.

Regarding subspecies ID. The top pic is an Eastern I killed in east Kansas. The bottom pic is a Merriam I killed here. A Rio is somewhere in-between, not as dark as the Eastern, but not as light as the Merriam.

Matt

13-Apr-19

They were fired up this morning.

Matt

13-Apr-19

Had 7 toms in my yard this morning....... this one tried to steal my truck.....

I took the first 2 days of the season off work next Monday and Tuesday...... but I don’t know if I’ll even try to kill one. I think I’d rather see one of our kids kill one. We’ll see.

14-Apr-19

I've been blessed to kill my share with a wheel bow, but this one is my first with a recurve. That makes it even more special to me.

Hope you guys have similar luck!!

Matt

14-Apr-19
That is awesome. I’m a recurve shooter myself but it’s been a few years since I killed one with a stick bow. Looks like a Widow bow. What’s the story about the hunt?

14-Apr-19
Congrats Matt!

14-Apr-19
Thank you, fellas.

Jkmo, not much to tell, really. My birds are fairly predictable, especially early in the season when they haven’t been pressured. So it’s not a matter of if they’ll come in, just when.

The first group to arrive at my ambush was all hens and jakes, but the toms were not too far behind. 3 came strutting in to 15 yards and I whacked the first one I could.

Matt

19-Apr-19
Made it to the farm at 11AM this morning. Stan, my bear hunting buddy, got here at 5AM. Tom down at 7:15. Picture later.

19-Apr-19

Hen came in to 9 yards.

19-Apr-19
Very nice Frank !!

19-Apr-19
Good luck Frank. I'm headed to the turkey woods myself this afternoon. I'm going to try to put them to bed/roost tonight so I can find them tomorrow morning. I'm taking a couple kids tomorrow morning who have never been turkey hunting. I hope I can call one in front of them. I want to put a gobbling tom right in their lap and get them hooked.

19-Apr-19
Good luck Ryan! And thanks again for attending our Advisory Board meeting today.

And thanks Chris. Waiting for you to post your success picture.

19-Apr-19
Good luck guys..... I think I might opt to leave them alone for my step daughter. She can’t make it out until next Saturday....

19-Apr-19
Chris,

Good luck to her and you. Here is Stan's bird from this morning.

19-Apr-19

19-Apr-19
That’s a dandy !!!!

19-Apr-19
I am seeing gobblers nearly every day. I had some logging done and the turkeys walk through the loading clearing quite often. I told the neighbor where I saw four gobblers two mornings ago and he will probably shoot one Saturday. I don't normally hunt turkeys since I spend the mornings fishing. White perch are way better to eat but I do enjoy turkeys on the table.

19-Apr-19
Hey Shuteye, I’ll trade you some turkey for that awesome tasting white perch. I suck at fishing but I love eating them.

Nice turkey HFW

20-Apr-19

A Jake at 12:50. Good eating, not good bragging.

20-Apr-19
Way to go Frank !!!!

20-Apr-19
Congrats Frank. Remember it’s not the game you are after...it’s the hunt. Good times.

20-Apr-19
Thanks men.

Ryan, that was a little tongue in cheek directed at the person who was critical of me posting a doe kill:-)

26-Apr-19
Question for you successful turkey hunters. Do you hang your bird for awhile before you clean it .... or clean it right away ?? I got a tick on me cleaning my bird this week and I’m pretty sure it came off the bird. I was able to pick the tick off my arm before it dug in too deep but it was biting in.

I remember killing a lot of rabbits and letting them sit for awhile outside before cleaning them and the fleas seemed to jump off the dead rabbit..... I wonder if I should wait awhile to clean turkeys after they’re dead ??? Thanks in advance.

26-Apr-19
Chris,

Congrats on your turkey!

I clean mine immediately just because that was how I was taught. Best for the meat to begin cooling as soon as possible, again what I was taught.

27-Apr-19
My step daughter Jessica and her boyfriend are out back in my pop up...... They’ve had one gobbling since before daylight.... but they haven’t gotten him to come in yet. It’s pretty awesome standing on my front porch I can hear the gobbles and faintly make out their yelps. She’s hunting with a shotgun.

27-Apr-19

Keep us posted, good luck to them. I am in a blind, it is rainy gently. No toms calling, but had 3 deer come within 10' of my blind.

27-Apr-19

They had that big Tom in their lap in shotgun range but couldn’t get a shot...... I think inexperience got them..... fantastic morning..... then we moved my bear into the new house....

27-Apr-19
Chris,

That's awesome! I am waiting on my rug. Full mount was just too expensive for me, but I am jealous! Nice poise. Congrats.

27-Apr-19
They came back in and went back to bed because Jessica was cold. It was in the 30’s here this morning.

27-Apr-19

Jessica and her boyfriend Brandon went back out early in the afternoon and immediately were able to call in the longbeard they had working earlier in the day. I contemplated wether to post pics or not...... because it was a shotgun kill and this is the Bowsite...... but here it is.

My new house has been a dream come true since my wife and I first laid eyes on it 3 months ago.... And I’m looking forward to retirement and living there permanently....... it’s only 8 acres but it hunts much bigger because we are surrounded by about 2000 acres of state land and a bird sanctuary owned by the Audubon Society...... We are covered up in deer and turkeys. Our spring turkey season is done..... and I look forward to deer season.....

Oh..... and we have a pair of wood ducks and bufflehead on our small pond...... very cool.

28-Apr-19
Chris,

Congrats to them both! Awesome bird.

Really happy to see your excitement with your new place, and your love of nature. Enjoy it, you earned it!

28-Apr-19
Thanks Frank !!! I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for some morels to go with the turkey here in the coming weeks....

28-Apr-19
Congrats on the birds, guys. BB, that looks like a gorgeous place to call home. Nice bear, too.

I'm hoping to get away for a long weekend in May sometime to chase some turkeys around with my longbow. I've had some fun in the past but never sealed the deal...yet. No blind, trying a leafy suit.

28-Apr-19
Good luck Jeff. I have killed toms in the rain. They take longer to come off the roost but prefer fields in my experience.

28-Apr-19
Good luck Jeff. I have killed toms in the rain. They take longer to come off the roost but prefer fields in my experience.

28-Apr-19
I don't hunt in hard rains any more either. We have to stop at 1 in MO.

Be safe!

28-Apr-19
Thanks Damon and Frank. I have bear hunted with bow but have yet to harvest a bear with a bow. That bear was from 1998 in Alberta with a rifle.... and is in the B&C record book at 21 2/16.....

29-Apr-19

jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
jkmo's embedded Photo
I have hunted hard for seven days in S central MO. Had three two year old birds just out of range twice the same day. Shooting an old 1923 Ithaca SxS that shoots max 1 ounce loads. Worked some gobblers at daybreak that just walked away, with hens probably. Gobblers are henned up bad.

Had a yearling coyote stop and eyeball my decoy before I shooed him away. This cat walked right by by me. Can’t hunt again till sat and sun and that’s end of season. Might be better by then.

29-Apr-19
jk.

They we're all henned up in NW MO over the weekend as well. Saw solo gobblers mid afternoon.

GL, I will also try again this weekend.

30-Apr-19
I would like to go out this weekend. Snowing steady at the moment.

30-Apr-19
Hab, I totally agree with your assessment... when raining, i set up at the corner of open field where turks will pitch down in the morning. tonite i'll set my ground blind and sneak in tomorrow morning. good luck feather chasers!

30-Apr-19
Really terrible here as well. Lots of flooding.

Be safe Jeff.

03-May-19
Well ??? Has anybody been back out ???

04-May-19
Going out Saturday and Sunday. Arrived at the farm Friday afternoon.

Was out last weekend. No gobbling. Will let you know. The season closes Sunday in MO. We are flooded up here!

04-May-19
Good luck Frank !! A friend of mine sent me a video of a longbeard breeding a hen on his driveway yesterday..... It’s that time. You gotta find one that’s not henned up.

04-May-19
Thanks Chris.

Beautiful morning. Saw 5 deer already including these three chasing each other.

Heard two different toms. One just crashed to the ground in the timber, probably to hens nearby. I heard some very soft yelps.

04-May-19

Better picture. They spent 30 minutes nibbling on the edge browse I created. Great feeling!

04-May-19
Good stuff !!! Good luck !!!

04-May-19
I did some tilling in my garden yesterday morning. My wife was planting some cucumber seeds and said there was turkey tracks in the freshly tilled dirt. They come across my garden almost every day. I think a hen is nesting in the woods next to my garden. Did the same thing last year.

04-May-19

Not convinced I need some love. Won't come in.

04-May-19
Jeff,

I watched that Tom for over two hours. He never gobbled. Late season, they are much more cautious.

The hens are nesting here. I will hang in until 1PM. I have a lone Jake out, which might be a mistake. They are probably tired of fighting.

05-May-19
Really pushing it on this last morning. I have watched a wise tom come out on the high point of my property for the entire season. He checks out the big open field but will not come to decoys.

I set up within 30 yards of the timber. I pushed a feeding hen all the way into the ground, and put a Jake on top of her.

He has gobbled 2X so far, within 50 yards. Hope it was dark enough when I set up. This is the same guy as yesterday.

Hopefully he will think a hen was coming to him and was intercepted by a Jake and want to kick his tail feathers.

No other gobbling! Late season is tough. Jeff, with that many toms taken already, that is some hard hunting. Good job!

05-May-19
Gobbled two more times. Still in the trees. I know birds are down as I have heard two shots off in the distance.

The CRP is about 6" tall right now, but heavy with moisture. He didn't come out into this yesterday until the sun dried it a little.

I gave some very low purrs and yelps. He did not respond. I think he knows I am not the real deal.

05-May-19

Really gobbling now! Still in the tree.

Here is what the CRP looks like.

05-May-19
A hen is out scratching in the burn perimeter I turned last weekend! Victory baby!

I bet she is nesting nearby as she is not coming to the gobbling.

05-May-19
Get em Frank !!!! How many birds can you kill there ?? We’re one and done up here in the spring.

05-May-19
Two, but only one the first week. Two in KS as well.

This guy might be calling to my calls. He is gobbling like an early season bird right now and has not come out of the tree. He is waiting for me to show up.

05-May-19

Using one of three mineral licks. Been around for 10 minutes and counting.
Using one of three mineral licks. Been around for 10 minutes and counting.
I have had a parade of wildlife all morning. God is great!

05-May-19

The Tom made an appearance, but a third deer showed up and ran him off. Came within shotgun range, 28 yards, too far for a bow for me right now.

05-May-19
So close...

05-May-19
Yes, those darn deer. Lol.

I baled at 11, figured he would not be coming back. Strategy worked though, happy with that. I figured he was on the ground as the deer kept looking back in the woods. They spooked a couple of times, I thought they might be catching my scent. But they really spooked when he came out in full strut. I put the phone down and grabbed my bow thinking what a cool hero shot it would make. Ahh, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh. But, he might not have come out without seeing them there.

Those might be a set of twins from last year. The one had velvet nobins, the other a female. Their mom might have been harvested or maybe she kicked them away already in preparation for this year's fawns? They came right down the edge travelling for over 400 visible yards to get to the lick. They were jogging at times.

10-May-19

11-May-19
Jack, was that your encounter?

11-May-19
No...too busy unpacking and organizing. Saw the GIF and thought it appropriate for the thread. ;o)

11-May-19
It was, thanks. I had a turkey put her head in my blind window once, when they are that close it is a rush, at least for me.

Thanks for sharing.

11-May-19

My young buddy, who I taught to bow hunt, arrowed his first turkey on my place a week ago. Very proud of him.

Matt

11-May-19
Congrats!

12-May-19
Congrats to everyone that scored! Went out opening day May 1st and 2nd trying to get my buddy his first turkey. On opening day I had a hen come in and head over the hill behind us ad then an hour later I called in a nice tome but he circled us and came in behind us. I had a shot at him at about 35 yards but my friend didn't have a shot and after gobbling his head of I saw him display and walk up the hill. I'm pretty sure that hen led him away. Next day saw a bunch of hens but no toms. That weekend I went with another friend to some private land we hunt that can be ok and didn't hear a bird. All those days I hunted was cold, cloudy and raining so not prime hunting weather.

13-May-19
I had a half dozen birds in my yard yesterday with a white hen. Pretty cool.

13-May-19
The UPS driver just stopped and told me there was a big gobbler in the edge of my woods. I told him I didn't need to walk 200 yards down there since there was one right in my garden, earlier. I could sit in my back yard and kill a turkey but normally I don't bother them. There is a hen nesting right inside the woods near my garden.

13-May-19
Lex..... should I kill raccoons and possums to protect turkey eggs ....... ??? Those coons and possums are tearing up my trash cans......

13-May-19

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
Last week of our Archery season here...Called one of the few hens not on their nest full time in and this one and his brother followed...Not a bad CA bird! 20# 8.5” Beard and 1” and 1 1/4” Spurs

13-May-19
Congrats Ike!

13-May-19

Thanks, always fun chasing Thunder Chickens...

13-May-19
Big Bear, I know coons eat eggs but at night the hen turkey will be on the nest and I would guess the turkey could handle a possum. My neighbor saw a hen turkey chase an eagle that was after her chicks. He said the turkey took some feathers out of the eagle and saved her babies. He said the turkey had real fast take off and caught the eagle easily.

15-May-19

Thanks Lex..... I found some morels today..... Turkeys and morels go hand in hand....

16-May-19

16-May-19
Chris,

You just love your new place don't you?

17-May-19
It’s the third best thing that ever happened to me Frank.... behind my wife and kids.....

I don’t think a day has gone by that I haven’t had deer and turkeys in my yard...... and my wife is quickly making friends with the bluebirds in our boxes and the hummingbirds in the feeders.....orioles..... grosbeaks.....indigo buntings and cardinals....2 pairs of wood ducks on the pond with a bufflehead......birds we’re not used to seeing in the city...... and the sandhill crane preserve owned by the Audubon Society behind our place. I truly feel like I’m already in heaven when I’m here.

17-May-19
If I had you and your expertise and tractor here Frank.... this place would be like a buffet for the deer....... :-)

18-May-19
Chris, that is cool. I really like when people are unabashed in expressing their appreciation for wildlife.

Your place sounds very nice. I always loved MI. In '91 I was transferred back and was excited, I love MI. Robin never did and that is how I ended up getting out of the corporate world.

Thanks for your kind words, but I have no expertise. I am a student who is willing to learn and try. Sounds like your place is doing fine on its own! FYI, every property is different, and must be appraised for what may be any missing ingredients of habitat. I spent the first two years creating cover. My first project was identifying where I wanted a sanctuary- a place we do not go in, especially do not hunt in there. I did this in a mature timber area, today you can barely walk through it.

On the other thread I shared a site that is also very helpful. You can purchase books that will really increase your knowledge. A Sand County Almanac needs to be read more than once.

I know you said you tried food plots. Hopefully you started with a soil sample. Chris, on my Micro thread, the soil you just saw me turn was in NG for ten years. NG creates a lot of bio-mass, and that soil was in poor condition and one of the reasons I had it in NG originally. Turned soil looks great, but food plots can break your heart. I am a bigger fan of creating native browse. But, my home property I also have to take appearance into account. I have the least expensive home in the neighborhood. It has taken some time to convince my neighbors that manicured lawns will limit what wildlife we see.

It is a fun journey. I hope it continues in heaven. I imagine I will be in at least a 100hp John Deere up there with Robin in the jump seat:-)

Best wishes, and please keep sharing.

24-May-19
Frank.... when will we start to see hens with babies ?? My sightings have tapered off here so I’d assume that means the hens are on their nests. I have been catching that white hen along with a few black ones on trail camera. The mosquitos are out in force.

24-May-19
They are starting to appear now in KS. Must only be a few days old, can't fly yet, very vulnerable.

I bet many hens here will re-nest. We are getting another deluge!!! I don't think they have to be bred again.

• Sitka Gear