South Farm 04-Mar-19
Highlife 04-Mar-19
Wooddamon1 20-Mar-19
KSflatlander 21-Mar-19
Tiger-Eye 21-Mar-19
Tiger-Eye 21-Mar-19
Brotsky 21-Mar-19
02-Mar-19
Jack's thread about Hugh Glass got me thinking about all the great stories regarding our country's past, rougher times. Looking for recommendations for some good books on the subjects of mountain men, explorers, etc...

I have a couple good ones at the cabin, but I've read them at least twice and would like some new material. I know I could just look online, but I'm curious what you guys have read that stood out as better than a dry accounting of events. Thanks!

02-Mar-19
I can recommend Undaunted Courage by Ambrose. One of the best out there.

02-Mar-19
Lord Grizzly

Crow Killer (story of Liver Eatin’ Johnson)

02-Mar-19
bowbender, Stephen Ambrose? I have his D-Day book, it reads like a thriller. Excellent writer, I'll ask about it when I hit the bookstore.

Norseman, thanks! I'll ask about those too.

02-Mar-19
Aldo Leopold "A Sand Count Almanac" Henry David Thoreau"Walden"

02-Mar-19

KSflatlander's embedded Photo

02-Mar-19

02-Mar-19

02-Mar-19

02-Mar-19

02-Mar-19

02-Mar-19

02-Mar-19

02-Mar-19
Undaunted Courage x100. Great book.

02-Mar-19
Might want to look into John Muir also.

02-Mar-19
“A River of Doubt” is about Theodore Roosevelt’s trip down the Amazon. It’s a good read.

02-Mar-19
dirtclod, I just recently reread those first two you mentioned. Love Aldo's writing. Thoreau is good, too. Thanks.

KSflatlander, those all look good, haven't read any of those. I have Roosevelt's book about ranching/hunting the west at the cabin, I'll look for that one too. Thank you as well.

02-Mar-19
David Robbins (under the pseudonym David Thompson) wrote a series called Wilderness (each title was different of course). They were fiction but were supposedly based on a journal he had that a mountain man had kept. The last several were only available in digital form so I never read them but the first 40 or so were print versions. The first one came out around 1990 and he is still writing them, or so I have been told. They were pretty entertaining.

02-Mar-19
The Robert Morgan one. There’s a lot in there about his failed businesses and surveying company that can be dry but the stories about saving his daughter after she was captured is pretty cool. Boone was captured many times but always seemed to escape and find his way home. But he was rarely at home. His wives must have been tough as nails too raising all those kids in remote country.

02-Mar-19

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
Another great read

02-Mar-19

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo

02-Mar-19
Crow Killer was a fun read about Liver Eatin’ Johnson (Jeremiah).

02-Mar-19
Thanks, guys! A few of these should get me by for a while : )

03-Mar-19
Look into anything by Allan W Eckert, especially The Frontiersmen

03-Mar-19
I just ordered The Final Frontiersman. It came highly recommended from a friend at church. About a man who lived two hundred miles north of the Arctic Circle.

03-Mar-19
Thanks again! I plan to hit the B&N here before my trip to the cabin next weekend. I'm sure they'll have a couple of these in stock, but does anyone have a good source online maybe for used copies or discounts? No old school bookstores around any more, unfortunately.

03-Mar-19
Terry C Johnston - Titus Bass mountain man series (fictional base on historic happenings)

The Lion of the West- Davy Crocket's life

Blood and Thunder - Kit Carson (highly recommended reading)

04-Mar-19
This ones pretty good and true. Four years in the rockies by James Marsh, about Isaac Rose.

04-Mar-19
Very timely thread! Staring out the window at four feet of snow wishing I had a good book to read. Now my dilemma is there's too many good ones to choose from, but that Donner Party one sure looks like a good place to start!

04-Mar-19
Your not looking for recipes are ya ? ;)

20-Mar-19

Wooddamon1 's embedded Photo
Wooddamon1 's embedded Photo
Grabbed these 2 for a start, looking forward to digging in over the weekend. Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

21-Mar-19
Undaunted Courage is one of my favorites. I couldn't put it down. PBS also did a special on Undaunted Courage and Steven Ambrose narrated it. It was called "The Journey of the Corps of Discovery" I think. I have the DVDs. Very good documentary.

21-Mar-19

Tiger-Eye's embedded Photo
Here is one

21-Mar-19

and another. Though both are good, this is the better of the two.

21-Mar-19
KS, I watched that on PBS as well. Undaunted Courage is one of my al time favorite books. We camp often at the spot where Pvt Shannon was finally caught up to by the rest of the party while he was lost. I sit around the campfire and imagine what it must have been like 215 years ago when those bluffs were full of elk, buffalo, wolves, and grizzlies.

• Sitka Gear