Woods Walker 15-Mar-19
BIG BEAR 15-Mar-19
Woods Walker 15-Mar-19
bb 15-Mar-19
longbeard 15-Mar-19
Factory rat 15-Mar-19
bb 15-Mar-19
11-Mar-19
I watched the show last night and it was very informative.

11-Mar-19
yes, great interview.

12-Mar-19
$275 Million !!!!!!! Ha !!!!!!! You wouldn’t get 275 million if CNN killed the kid. Why didn’t they sue the Indian guy ?? Or the black dudes ??

12-Mar-19
Why don’t they sue the kids’ school ????? The school issued a public condemnation of the kids.

12-Mar-19
That kid will be richer than all of us combined BECAUSE of all the publicity.

It’s a civil matter HH. Either CNN has to pay out money or there is no recourse.

12-Mar-19
They didn't sue the Indian because there ain't nothin' to sue! Same with the black bigots. "Got's nuffin"!

Now CNN, HBO, Bill Maher, WAPO, et. al., are another $tory. I hope he makes 'em bleed green.

And at least the school issued an apology. The others did no such thing.

12-Mar-19
They are suing those who did not or will not extend an olive branch of sorts and admit to slander and false accusations against the kid. It is my understanding that Those named were all in receipt of a letter with a deadline for an apology or retraction statement. Those that obliged and admitted to their harmful slander were dropped from the lawsuit. I believe our own PutZ was on the list. Not sure what happened with that.

13-Mar-19
Here is a list from doing a Google search. I'm surprised the Huffy/Verizon are not on there.

""McMurtry said the following organizations and people are those who can expect to receive the letters, which were all sent by the close of business on Friday.

The Washington Post

The New York Times

Cable News Network, Inc. (CNN)

The Guardian

National Public Radio

TMZ

Atlantic Media Inc.

Capitol Hill Publishing Corp.

Diocese of Covington

Diocese of Lexington

Archdiocese of Louisville

Diocese of Baltimore

Ana Cabrera

Sara Sidner

Erin Burnett

S.E. Cupp

Elliot C. McLaughlin

Amanda Watts

Emanuella Grinberg

Michelle Boorstein

Cleve R. Wootson Jr.

Antonio Olivo

Joe Heim

Michael E. Miller

Eli Rosenberg

Isaac Stanley-Becker

Kristine Phillips

Sarah Mervosh

Emily S. Rueb

Maggie Haberman

David Brooks

Shannon Doyne

Kurt Eichenwald

Andrea Mitchell

Savannah Guthrie

Joy Reid

Chuck Todd

Noah Berlatsky

Elisha Fieldstadt

Eun Kyung Kim

HBO

Bill Maher

Warner Media

Conde Nast

GQ

Heavy.com

The Hill

The Atlantic

Bustle.com

Ilhan Omar

Elizabeth Warren

Kathy Griffin

Alyssa Milano

Jim Carrey

""

13-Mar-19
Watch the 41 minute long video you posted ?? Ummm. No. Sheesh. I read the news article you posted yesterday.

I think this is a frivolous lawsuit...... The type of lawsuit that breeds the ambulance chasing attorneys that are on billboards across America. If this was a left winger filing the same type of lawsuit you all would be calling him a butt hurt crybaby. This is 15 minutes of fame for his Pro bono Attorney...... And the kid will end up getting rich over the incident regardless of the outcome of the lawsuit...... Right wingers will be lining up to hand this kid everything he ever wants in life..... and for what ?? What exactly did he do to deserve to have everything handed to him in life ??

13-Mar-19
It's not what he did. It's what far, far more powerful, richer, influential people/entities did TO him.....a child.....and then when they were called on it and they had a fair chance (which is more than they ever gave him) to admit their lies they refused.

They are the ones at fault, so they need to be held accountable for it. Hitting them in the wallet is the only penalty they will understand. Obviously being JOURNALISTS is beyond their abilities.

13-Mar-19
In other news.... An Oakland County Michigan man who was wrongfully convicted of murder in 1971...... and did 47 years in prison.... may be compensated 2.3 million dollars for the 47 years that he was locked up.....

And here we are applauding a $275 million lawsuit in favor of this kid for how he was wronged.

13-Mar-19
Who really knows if he will get a dime? It's lawyers/courts after all. And it's really not the dollar amount, but the fact that he WAS wronged.

13-Mar-19
I get that Lou..... but like I said.... It’s a civil lawsuit..... if money is not paid out.... there are no other consequences...... It’s not a criminal matter.

13-Mar-19
Oakland County Michigan is not an international bully. CNN is. Aren't we all for standing up to bullies and supporting the bullied?

13-Mar-19

I Don’t need you or your 41 minute video to explain to me how court works Jeff.

Do you guys ever spend any time in court Jeff at that top secret job of yours ?? Or does your knowledge of court come from watching Judge Judy ??

13-Mar-19
Don’t hold your breath Shawn.

13-Mar-19
One thing for sure, it exposes the media as the biased clods they are. This suit is more important for placing argued fact on this debate. It also encourages the MSM to be a bit more responsible in living up to their names as 'journalists'.

13-Mar-19
Shoplifting cases, eh ??

13-Mar-19
"This case will likely go to Scorus as a 1st Amend test against big fake news."

You must own a lot of bridge stock!

13-Mar-19

13-Mar-19
Do any of you have any of the exact quotes from any of the 54 people and or media sources,,, That the law suit is directed at ??

13-Mar-19
Chris...I believe Sandman's lawyer had a post listing those who would be targeted and offered them a chance to recant, apologize and remove their posts/internet comments. I had no reason to bookmark, but it had links to those named. Most are still available on the news sites and social media.

I hope that those who get targeted are punished severely because this sort of irresponsible reporting and targeting has to cease. Just read an article where the official DNC twitter account states: "Ultimate Example of TDS – Democrats: “Trump refuses to acknowledge the seriousness of the opioid epidemic”…" And Trump has often related this to the need for the wall and cited this problem of drug importation has to be addressed.

13-Mar-19
Jack............ John Long posted a list of them above....... What I’m curious about is exact quotes from those people and media that are resulting in the lawsuit. For instance..... Bill Maher said he blamed the kid for all this and called him a little prick. Maher’s an a-hole in my opinion.... But is a civil court going to award the kid any damages for Maher saying that ?? Hell,,, Maher can sue me if he wants for me calling him an a-hole. Anyone can sue anyone for anything. Winning that judgment is another thing.

13-Mar-19

13-Mar-19
Craig....... If you think what Maher said in your video is deserving of a $275 million lawsuit.......... Then everyone who’s ever been the target of a Saturday Night Live skit should sue....... Maher also smeared the Black Hebrew Israelites in your video,,, And Catholic Priests..........

Hell,,, Fred Goldman sued OJ for 33 million dollars..(which he hasn’t collected by the way)...... and his son was butchered with a knife. This kid is suing for $275 million ???? COME ON...!!!

13-Mar-19
Chris,

Thanks for your common sense.

People in responsibility could have prevented this. Yes, the kid was drug through the mud, and viciously so. Media need to get the message that this will not be tolerated. But, this has gotten insane and if the sides were flipped, conservatives would be screaming about our litigous society.

I would love to see a president with the ability to meet with both sides together, and the result would be a public apology and commitment from the press to take certain corrective actions to prevent further occurrences. That will never happen, unfortunately.

I still contend that if I ever had that face while my father was attempting to discipline me, I would have been knocked into tomorrow. He has every Constitutional right, but that doesn't make it Christian.

Flame away, I can care less. I know smugness when I see it.

13-Mar-19
"I know smugness when I see it."

I bet you do. You can also read minds, etc.

14-Mar-19
The kid's lawyer in the vid made a good point by defining when a slander/smear/statement reaches the legal point of crossing the line. If he is correct in the way the law lays out when that legal threshold is met or exceeded.....IMO the kid and the lawyer will have a great chance of some type of recovery for damages inflicted. As I recall...he said it was the actionable statements (smears) that are the ones that meet the legal threshold. Posting on social media that someone should do something to the kid is an example of actionable statements. I think it was Kathy Griffin who may have posted something to that effect. I thought the lawyer explained it well in the vid....at least well enough for me to understand it. He has been representing some high profile folks who have been attacked and/or smeared in the media and online. His first successful case was the Richard Jewell case.

14-Mar-19

slade's embedded Photo
slade's embedded Photo

14-Mar-19
Defamation: Any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.

14-Mar-19

14-Mar-19
"Flame away, I can care less. I know smugness when I see it"

. . . . . .

. . . . .

How smugly spoken of you.

14-Mar-19
How many of you have made a million dollars in your life ??? Maybe you worked 35 years or more to EARN that money..... 50, 60, and 70 hour work weeks. You busted your ass for it.

Now this kid gets his feelings hurt,,, And is suing for 250 times your entire life earnings. This is WTF is wrong with America. You all sound like a bunch of butt hurt liberals.

Don’t cry to me how anyone ruined this kids life. This event has insured that this kid will be handed everything in life..... Regardless if he wins a lawsuit or not. He will be rich.... and I doubt that it will be from a lawsuit......

Honestly,, By supporting this lawsuit,,, I think you are TRYING to act like a liberal. You know in your heart this is how the liberals would react,,, So this is a chance for you to stick it right back in their face..... by acting like liberals.

This is not how to Make America Great Again.

14-Mar-19
The kid did not get his feelings hurt. He was maligned, threatened, and had his reputation trampled in the mud by adults who did so for strictly political reasons. Malignant TDS smearing and unrepentant and they need to be punished. the

14-Mar-19
Henry, Tony,

If a liberal wore that expression while in a discussion with a spiritual leader, I doubt you would see things the same way. You see smugness in me, I see disingenuous in you.

Conservatives frequently talk of the deterioration in behaviors and personal responsibility over time, yet in this case give everyone a pass.

Chris,

Your last post is spot on and you nailed the hypocrisy that is evident.

14-Mar-19
Jack..... kids that have posted hunting kills on Facebook have crazy liberals post death threats on line all the time. Are these threats credible ?? Should a $250 million dollar lawsuit be filed every time it happens ?? Please. The appropriate response in my mind is to tell them to F off,,, Or ignore them.

14-Mar-19
"I see disingenuous in you"

.. . . . .

. . . .

I do not know how you can make that statement. I have made no opinion on this thread about the young man and his law suit.

But, Pot meet Kettle, either you have not had your coffee or you have no reading comprehension this morning for what ever reason. It is ironic you smugly continue to deflect and distract and invent words and feeling of others.

Are you mind reading or using the force this morning?

14-Mar-19
Funny Tony, you read my mind to call what I wrote smug, but cannot tolerate the same criticism back?

Why do you guys think it is OK to judge what someone else wrote, but not OK for them to judge what they see? It is not, that is the point.

We all judge, it is human to do so.

Tony, would your father have tolerated that same expression from you while being disciplined? Every male friend I have asked to their face, responds absolutely not. And 90% support Trump and this lawsuit.

To Chris's point, some of the same guys bemoaning this type of behavior in liberals are now looking the other way.

14-Mar-19
"malignant TDS"?

This is getting absurd.

Talk about liberal behavior infecting conservatism? Trump bears no responsibility for some of what he receives? None?

Come on, answer that, I double dog dare you.

14-Mar-19
"Jack..... kids that have posted hunting kills on Facebook have crazy liberals post death threats on line all the time. Are these threats credible ?? Should a $250 million dollar lawsuit be filed every time it happens ?? Please. The appropriate response in my mind is to tell them to F off,,, Or ignore them."

It's about degrees. This kid had so much negative coverage by so many Hi profile news outlets and others afforded high visibility platforms to voice their opinions. Opinions offered as fact. Taken in the context they were recited, became reality for many. This was particularly damning for this kid publicly. This kills future College and job opportunities and any other opportunities this kid may have in his future before he even gets started. Telling them to f*ck off isn't going to remedy that. What he is doing is the sure way to get the message across to others, in the past, present and future, that this kind of reporting, and trying to hide behind the 1st amendment won't be tolerated. A big portion of the lawsuit is punitive. Obviously one of the intents behind punitive is to let others know, not to continue in this manner. If the lawsuits are successful, it's doubtful it will happen to the degree it did this time, in the future

14-Mar-19
bb,

Your view is well reasoned, and possibly 100% accurate.

Regarding his future employability, would he have not been better off publicly accepting his role in this... That it was a youthful indiscretion, and with maturity he can see how maybe his appearance, though legally protected, served to inflame a situation that probably was one best to be avoided?

Asking honestly since people are talking about his future. Would most employers in today's world look positively or negatively on his behavior? Not what was reported, but on his actual behavior? Exclude FOX News;-)

I admit I may be jaded, but this is mostly about a pay day to me. In our news cycle, this would be forgotten quickly if not for the culture war both sides are pushing. And yes, I see our side abandoning principle.

14-Mar-19
HFW "Regarding his future employability.".....No, I don't think it would have been better. People are assuming intent based on a smile. People are making assumptions as to what was in his mind that they have no right to make. This question is proof that he is in a no win situation. "They" have taken potential future earnings away from this kid. How much? anybodys guess. You feel that this is a pay day. You bet it is. It's about those who potentially took future earnings away from this kid and making them give back. That's the primary intent of the law suit. Keep in mind they sent letters out first asking for apologies before a law suit was filed. Presumably an apology in lieu of being sued. It's hard to make the argument that initially the primary objective was to sue everyone involved.

14-Mar-19
"Funny Tony, you read my mind to call what I wrote smug"

.. . . .

. .. .

Wrong. Your typed statement was clearly smug.

"but cannot tolerate the same criticism back?"

Wrong again. You called me disingenuous. That is clearly baseless of anything I have said on this thread.

"Tony, would your father have tolerated that same expression from you while being disciplined? "

Clearly a straw man argument, the Indian was not the Kids Father. Nice try though, and you may indeed be on the cusp of being disingenuous yourself.

14-Mar-19
HFW "In our news cycle, this would be forgotten quickly" That's possibly accurate. The issue is when someone in the future does a google search on this kid.

14-Mar-19
Tony,

Wrong, I was not being smug, I am known for being direct. But you only know me from posts, so yes, you assumed. Nice try though.

14-Mar-19
Brian. People will hire this kid in the future simply BECAUSE of this incident..... A hiring that may not have occurred had this event never happened. So the kid makes money from the event...... It works both ways.

14-Mar-19
bb,

Yes, people are making assumptions, that's what people do. That is the reality, not what we would like it to be. And probably, given common sense, the assumption that he was not totally respectful is at least some what a reality. Given his mellow conduct on TV the next day, I think he even recognized that.

Yes, a Google search will show this sad event in his life. Get in front of it. At an interview he preempts it with bringing it up first and that it will show up. Tell how he handled it and accepts responsibility. He learned, grew from the experience and moved forward. Otherwise they see a kid that may be a legal problem for them if he is treated in a manner he feels damages him. That is the reality.

Tony, no straw man argument about your father. The lesson my dad taught me was not just to respect him, but to respect others and especially my elders. If I behaved that way with any adult neighbor, I would have paid a price. This is exactly what I mean about our side surrendering our principles. We are finding ways to defend poor behavior as long as it is from our side.

14-Mar-19
Spike,

Your position is reasonable.

But CNN is being stopped without a lawsuit. Who watches any more? Because of their terrible reporting, their viewership is declining.

14-Mar-19
I predict these cases (brought on by the kid's parents ,btw) will be dismissed.

Matt

14-Mar-19
“It is way past time that the fake news liars were held accountable “..............

Hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahaahhaaaaahhahahahhaahahaha........

Oh my God that is freaking hilarious coming from the fake news KING of the Bowsite Community Forum !!!!!!!!!!!!

14-Mar-19
If you think this kid should get every penny of $250 million dollars..... Then I say that you are part of what’s wrong with America.......

14-Mar-19
Chris,

There may be some willing to hire because of the incident, but my feeling is that would be the exception and not the rule. That doesn't sound like a good plan for the future to me.

HFW: His actions don't reflect someone who needs to do any apologizing. His actions in no way warranted the response he received by the media.

Chris, I doubt anyone believes he will get every penny of that.

14-Mar-19
Brian..... If you flip over to the parking lot Shooting thread...... The guy who got shot and is paralyzed from the waist down is suing the shooter for $100,000. Who knows how much that guy would have earned in his life had he not been shot. Sure,, he was illegally parked,, But he deserved a parking ticket for that.... not to get shot. The shooter is facing criminal charges.

So for getting shot and paralyzed... you get $100,000. But for getting called out on TV,,, You sue for $250 million. Like I said.... That is not making America Great Again.

Not only do I not believe he will get all of that money....I agree with GG and believe it will be dismissed with nothing being paid.

14-Mar-19
Time will tell.

14-Mar-19
"HFW: His actions don't reflect someone who needs to do any apologizing."

And that is where we will disagree forever. In a better society, IMHO, his response to an elder after this blew up could have gone something like this;

"I was not trying to be disrespectful to my elder. In review of the video, I can see how some may have interpreted my facial expression to be one of mocking or dis-respect. That was not my intent. While I fully believe the rights to free speech and protest are sacred, as a Christian I always strive to behave in a manner that I and my family as well as my mentors and peers will always be proud of. In this case I failed to live up to the high standards I expect of myself, again though, not doing so intentionally.

My apology is sincere to anyone who may have been offended by my behavior that was not intended to be offensive. I will continue to support pro-life positions, and our President, doing so in a manner that adheres to the spirit of Christian doctrine, even when it is difficult to do so.

I also forgive those who willingly portrayed me in a false light, and encourage the leaders of the entities that did so, as well as other individuals, to look inward and search if their behavior reflects the ideals and aspirations of this great country. Hopefully our nation's healing can begin with this unfortunate event, you have my promise to do better.

God Bless America, and thank you.

14-Mar-19
That’s very reasonable Frank.

What about the kid that was doing the Tomahawk chop at the old man ?? Did his actions reflect someone who needs to apologize ???

14-Mar-19
Chris, Thanks.

I have not heard about the kid doing the chop. Was disciplinary action taken against him? Yes, I do believe he owes an apology. An "I am sorry" even when not necessary goes a long way in building better relations IMO.

14-Mar-19
Do you think Covington will be sending their kids to political rallies in the near future on school time Jeff ?? Answer honestly. And why or why not.

Maybe Covington should sue me for assuming that kid doing the tomahawk chop was one of their kids.....

Maybe the City of Dearborn should sue Spike Bull for all the fake news he has posted on line about the city.... I mean.... no one really knows how much he cost that city by giving it bad publicity and scaring away potential residents and businesses...... I think $250 million should cover the damages.....

14-Mar-19
Supreme Court case..... ha !! That’s a good one.... They can include Brietbart and the National Enquirer And make them stop printing Bull spit.

14-Mar-19
Kevin,

I am going to pull what you do.

From your posts I bet as a CFP, you work in a small office or at home. You have difficulty getting along with people. You were a dweeb in school who got picked on so the CF is your place to get even. I can go on if you want?

14-Mar-19
Frank I'm not sure what the kid is supposed to apologize for. Because he stood there while someone beat a drum in his face? Respect is a 2 way street. And I didnt see any from the adult standing there with the drum.

14-Mar-19
Keith,

Thanks for your question.

I understand people here cannot agree on this, yet both views are reasonable to me.

Just my perspective, but again his facial expression left room for interpretation, and some will agree with that, others will not. And honestly, that's OK.

The kid probably should have walked away, I was raised to not challenge an elder unless it was a safety issue.

Let's say you still disagree, my counsel to the young man if asked would be the above. It really would minimize future employment challenges that might arise from a Google search, and keeping our eyes on the long game for conservatism, this should win people over. We keep the high ground.

I would love to see other responses, not just 'apologise or we sue'. What say you?

14-Mar-19
Big Bear, In part agree with your sentiment about our litigious society and not falling into that trap. Certainly, I only see trouble for this kid handed those kind of resources. I do want to debate your argument using moral equivalencies to compare the severity of a particular injury to being smeared on TV. The reason is that if he were to sue for say, $100,000, the offenders would pay and never change their ways. Now, make it hurt, and perhaps they will use a little more discretion before putting their political ideology on display at the expense of a conservative kid. Actually, I think a more reasonable penalty would be to pay the kid $250,000 and the Trump campaign $500,000. That would surely give them pause.

14-Mar-19
Kevin,

I had a mother send me a message on FB, she is not a friend of mine, she looked me up because her son is one of my students. Her message was a total surprise, when it showed up on messenger I almost deleted it as I did not recognize the name. I have removed the names in her correspondence leaving only initials. The friend she refers to that I have is one of our counselors on campus. I do not like to share these and I am not bragging, but I receive them quite often. Maybe a little bit of facts instead of you pontificating on who you think I am is in order. Notice what she says about respect and kindness. Notice she thinks I am a Republican, which I clarified in my response to her.

"Frank... First let me say that I know that it is not normal that a student's parent would email you, however since you are close friends with D E, I thought that it's acceptable to reach out to you. In addition, for the last five years, after my life of undergrad, grad school, and being a mom for 21 years, I returned to JCCC to take sculpture classes with M C so I get to consider myself a Cavalier too! My son is R D. He is my oldest of four boys. He returned home after living on St. John for 1.5 years during his gap year. Even though I am a firm believer that it is almost impossible to go back home after living alone, R has been quite the trooper with accepting that Hurricane Irma destroyed his happy little island life and returning home, especially with his three younger brothers. With him living at home, we frequently talk about his day & his classes. I LOVE to hear about his experiences and his engagement with his peers/instructors as it provides another window into his world. I wanted to share that I have heard a great deal about you, your conversations, the opportunity that you encouraged on R's behalf and most importantly, the amount of respect that Reagan has for you! While talking to R today, he said, "Mom, Mr. Syracuse is a great man who loves his wife as he mentions her multiple times a day, is a Godly man, a Marine and is 'our' people". (Our people=Republican. ?? My point, I know that with college students you don't always hear about the the ways that you affect them, so I wanted to share that I am sincerely thankful for the example you are providing my son. R is an introverted and serious child, I mean young man. He is an old soul, but I believe that this trait allows him to truly appreciate the important things in life like being respectful, hard-working & kind, like you! Thank you for teaching R more than just Human Relations in the business world. I feel confident in saying that YOU will be one of those instructors that will leave a life long impression on R's mind & heart! You are a true blessing! Be Happy... Be Blessed... BE!!!

N

I am humbled by these types of messages, but know God put me here and I try not to waste a minute of it. I get tired of bullying behavior, and that is what I see here on the CF. How many times have folks like Matt been attacked, and wrongly accused of name calling, while we never hear a peep from these same people when slade, or Trax call folks every name under the sun? That's the hypocrisy, and you guys just don't get it.

I have a lot of faults, one is not allowing for the opinions of others to be expressed or respected. I can make a list of my faults if you want to attack me on those, otherwise know what you are talking about before going off on someone. One of my faults is if you unfairly criticize one of my students, you will feel my wrath.

14-Mar-19
Frank I just try to imagine what my kids would do in that situation. And honestly I'm not sure. I could imagine my daughter standing there smiling nervously. My sons I'm not sure maybe walk away maybe not. It's just not something you prepare your kids for. I think it should of never happened In the first place. Why would you ever walk up to a kid and do something like that I don't get it.

14-Mar-19
As a kid I would have never been to a protest, and wearing garb that might have inflamed the situation. But my father always told me; "don't start no $hit and there probably won't be any, but if it does come, make sure you can handle it."

Thanks, respectful exchange.

14-Mar-19
Do any of you think Covington will be sending their kids to political rallies on field trips in the near future ??? Please explain why or why not ???

14-Mar-19
That's probably where we disagree frank l. I see the guy with the drum as the aggressor. And I agree that my kids wouldn't be at a political rally at that age.

14-Mar-19
Keith,

The guy was the aggressor, but it still doesn't make it right IMO.

Hedge, I could care less what your research shows. Your lack of respect for just about everyone, and your overblown hype of what a hero you think you are has said enough. Get some help.

14-Mar-19
Keith,

The guy was the aggressor, but it still doesn't make it right IMO.

Hedge, I could care less what your research shows. Your lack of respect for just about everyone, and your overblown hype of what a hero you think you are has said enough. Get some help.

14-Mar-19
Yur a tic terd.

Does that help you understand? ;-)

Now we are mocking people's age, real class every time you post.

FYI, never, ever tried it, never an illegal drug, and seldom drink. Your assessment of people is about as high as your IQ, negative. ;-)

Why do you despise American citizens so much?

14-Mar-19
Chris,

No, I do not think they will be sending their kids to any future rallies. Why I believe this is because I think they now see the risk is too great, and the bad publicity does not help.

14-Mar-19
Exactly Frank. Why doesn’t anyone else want to answer that question......

Funny,,, That Hedgehog guy is not so disrespectful over on the Leatherwall

14-Mar-19
JTV......... Why did you post that the kid that was doing the tomahawk chop was not from Covington...... and then you erased your post and changed it ?????????

14-Mar-19
Chris,

The same reason they do not respond to what I suggested should have been the young man's response the next day.

A little bit of diplomacy and we keep the high ground with our eye on the long game. But, our nation is now at the point where personal attacks and character assassinations are the norm.

You think this first began with the Clintons and their War Room over any bad press about them? They seemed to have started this scorched Earth policy, and avoided impeachment/convictions with it so others see the merit in this approach?

14-Mar-19
OK,,, Because I just read that the independent investigation found that the kid WAS a Covington kid,,, And they tried to downplay it like he was at a Braves game doing the chop. I don’t know if you have kids,,,, But if one of my kids started doing that in the presence of that guy..... my kid would get a backhand from me upside the head.

Bingo again Frank. Jeff,, Now that I have your attention again..... do you think Covington will be sending their kids on field trips to political rallies again anytime soon ??? Why or why not ??? Be honest.

14-Mar-19
HFW... "The same reason they do not respond to what I suggested should have been the young man's response the next day."

We are talking about a 16 year old kid right? Had the indian not approached the group of kids and got in the kids face beating the drum, 1. No one would have been offeded by the kid smiling at him. Two we would not be having this discussion now 3. too many people are reading too much into a young boy standing in one place smiling.Remember, he didn't go seeking out the indian, the indian sought him out. Does anyone seriously believe that standing there smiling is just cause for the vicious attacks by "adults" that he received? I'm not a big fan of lawsuits in general, I think there is far too many frivolous suits but in this case, I think it' about time that a message is sent..

14-Mar-19
For the kid to have to apologize he would have had to do something wrong. I don't see it the guy approached him. What's he supposed to do? I think your assuming the kid was trying to be disrespectful.

14-Mar-19
Apparently the School thought they were mature enough to attend a Political Rally.

Do you think the school will be sending students to political rallies again any time soon bb ??

14-Mar-19
The kids probably were mature enough to attend, however the adults in attendance were not. So I highly doubt the school would send them to another... while they were more mature than the adults, they are, after all just kids. I would not have allowed it in the first place. But the attacks were still not justified regardless of age.

14-Mar-19
Some of you guys need to go back and watch the whole video...not just the snippet where the old guy was in the kids personal space. Did you see the other group involved harassing the school kids? Did you watch the old man intentionally beat his drum and head straight for the kids trying to get some kind of a reaction out of them? That kid did exactly what he should have done...nothing! And do you also know the history of the old man? I’m not sure why you could possibly defend this old man and his actions and the the MSM ran with it, without watching the whole video or fact checking anything. Even when Savana Guthery was interviewing the kid, her line of questioning was deplorable, like she was trying to get the kid to say he was at faul. Let me ask you this, would this have received anything close to the amount of attention had that kid been wearing any other hat?

14-Mar-19
"Brian..... If you flip over to the parking lot Shooting thread...... The guy who got shot and is paralyzed from the waist down is suing the shooter for $100,000. "

Amazing! He defenitely could use a new attorney. I say that on the basis of this one line as I have not read up on any of this.

14-Mar-19
I hope that the school doesn't succumb to the PC pressure, but it probably will.

This blaming the victim by people on this site really disappoints me.

14-Mar-19
bb says he highly doubts the school will send their kids to another political rally (I agree 100%)........ JTV says if they did HE WOULD WANT BETTER ADULT SUPERVISION......

That’s the entire point to me. None of this was criminal on anyone’s part. But none of it had to happen......

If there was better adult supervision Jeff,,,, Would this incident have gone down exactly as it did ??? Or would the adult chaperones have shuttled the kids away from the black Israelites and the old man.... and loaded the kids on the bus ?? Do you think the adult Christian chaperones would have joined in with the kids on the stand off.... and maybe got some more tomahawk chops going ??

Longbeard ....... Of course not.... Anyone and everyone knows that the MAGA hat is going to be met with resistance in public. That is wrong but it is a fact. So if you’re on a field trip in Washington D.C. with a group of your school kids wearing MAGA hats...... would you let them wander off where they are unattended by chaperones wearing those hats ??

14-Mar-19
Hedgehog........ English is the official language of Tennessee. Give it a try sometime. Please.

14-Mar-19

Annony Mouse's Link
The underlying purpose of this suit is to bring the likes of those who took a snippet of video and did not even attempt to determine any facts and crucified a minor not only on social media, but national/international news to face the responsibility of actually reporting the news instead of warping and creating a story to support a political agenda.

1. Sandman is a minor and was not, until CNN et. al. made him such, a public figure.

2. The entire video was available for viewing, and yet not one of the accusers even bothered to view it in entirety. Instead, a short video clip was used to create a news story with negative connotations WRT Sandman and Trump.

3. Because of their malfeasance, Sandman was not only threatened, but had people promoting violence upon him.

4. The lawyer publicly identified major participants of this lynching and gave them the opportunity to retract and apologize for their actions...and they did not.

This sort of reporting needs to cease in a civil society as it is happening far too often these days. Shoddy, sloppy opinion based journalism is NOT the reporting of news.

If Sandman and his legal team have their day in court with the likes of CNN, they will be exposed for what they are. And if they are penalized (especially those of the Hollywood personality types) financially, perhaps we can see a return to real journalism.

CNN is a great target because they were in the forefront of the attacks on Sandman. Financially, if CNN were not supported by cable/satellite carriage fees, it would not be able to exist financially. It is supported by the fees paid by cable and satellite subscribers who pay for CNN (and other channels that have few viewers) even though they never watch it. For every actual viewer of CNN, there are 90 people who do not, yet pay for it. (link) Wonder why that cable/satellite providers do not offer ala carte choices for channels are encouraging many to switch to streaming? If they did, CNN would cease to exist.

Bottom line: It is time for the media to be held accountable for the content of their reporting and at this point in time, Sandman's suits against those named and those who will be may be the wake up call. These suits are not primarily about money, but bringing those involved responsible for their actions.

14-Mar-19
Jack. How do you know none of them bothered to view the video in its entirety ??

Can you provide specific examples of the most egregious things that were reported about the kid,, ?? The SPECIFIC statements that warrant a $250 million dollar lawsuit.

If this suit is not primarily about money.... What exactly do you think a civil court is going to do ??

Do you think this case is going to be ruled on by the Supreme Court of the United States; Like Hedgehog does ??

14-Mar-19
The attorney can say anything he wants. He doesn’t decide what cases the Supreme Court rule on.

14-Mar-19
The school is not succumbing to anything other than good judgement.

Again, emotional protests at Kent State, and people died. We don't learn our lessons. Ask those parents.

Please, all you tough guys that want to protest, go for it.

14-Mar-19
Does ANYONE ELSE here believe that this case is headed to the Supreme Court ???

15-Mar-19
I highly doubt it’s going to court at all..... let alone the Supreme Court.

15-Mar-19
It doesn't matter if it actually gets to court. The POINT is to make it hurt($$) for the liars who attacked a child to push their fake agenda.

15-Mar-19
But Lou,,, Others here say it’s not about the money. Which is it ???

15-Mar-19
The money is only the weapon. CNN could have avoided this mess without any further aggravation simply by APOLOGIZING FOR THEIR LIES. They chose not to. They own it now.

It's like the the old saying......"I don't want to an a-hole about this, but if you want me to be, I'll be the biggest a-hole you've ever had to deal with!"

15-Mar-19
So if they offer a half hearted apology now with their fingers crossed behind their backs this probably all goes away....... And nothing about fake news will change on either side.

15-Mar-19
No.....they had their chance when it would actually MEAN something and would have bolstered their credibility and they chose not to. So now it should hurt. Bad.

15-Mar-19
You’re kind of talking in circles Lou so I’ll leave it at that..... It’s not about the money.... but now it should hurt bad ($)....

15-Mar-19
Then how else do you penalize them for their actions??? And you may be listening in circles but I'm not talking in them. My previous post........

"It's not what he (Sandmann) did. It's what far, far more powerful, richer, influential people/entities did TO him.....a child.....and then when they were called on it and they had a fair chance (which is more than they ever gave him) to admit their lies they refused. They are the ones at fault, so they need to be held accountable for it. Hitting them in the wallet is the only penalty they will understand. Obviously being JOURNALISTS is beyond their abilities."

15-Mar-19
The punitive damages in the WAPO suit is $200 million. That's punishment. The media and other big mouths run around with impunity for too long, it's time to rein them in. To Franks previous points about apologizing or trying to smooth it over so to speak, there is plenty of information with a quick search where Sandmann was quoted in interviews what his thought process was. One where he wished it didn't happen etc. I'm paraphrasing because I'm not going to spend the time to look it up again, but anyone interested can find it fairly easily.

15-Mar-19
Another possible obstacle in this settlement is that CNN parent company was just bought out. They will undoubtably want to settle. I’m sure the new owners are going to want to change direction with regard to the way they present the news going forward. I don’t think they’ll put up with this type of lying, circus atmosphere that CNN perpetuates now.

15-Mar-19
"I was not trying to be disrespectful to my elder. In review of the video, I can see how some may have interpreted my facial expression to be one of mocking or dis-respect. That was not my intent. While I fully believe the rights to free speech and protest are sacred, as a Christian I always strive to behave in a manner that I and my family as well as my mentors and peers will always be proud of. In this case I failed to live up to the high standards I expect of myself, again though, not doing so intentionally.

My apology is sincere to anyone who may have been offended by my behavior that was not intended to be offensive. I will continue to support pro-life positions, and our President, doing so in a manner that adheres to the spirit of Christian doctrine, even when it is difficult to do so.

I also forgive those who willingly portrayed me in a false light, and encourage the leaders of the entities that did so, as well as other individuals, to look inward and search if their behavior reflects the ideals and aspirations of this great country. Hopefully our nation's healing can begin with this unfortunate event, you have my promise to do better.

God Bless America, and thank you."

Brian,

A better word smith could improve the above dramatically. But, I worded it in a way that Sanders is not admitting fault, just apologizing if others were offended.

To Tony, from the other thread...notice these words would assign fault covertly, through forgiveness, to the media and others (Native American) without using names.

This would be face saving IMO, for all involved. I would have loved to see us have a president who would have met with the kid, and made a similar (but better) announcement together. I think that would have been a win-win and conservatives would still have the high ground.

Outside of the CF, the most common assessment of this situation I hear is the kid is the least to blame. The press and others are terrible actors in all of this but the face and hat was not a good move. Yep, not going to be accepted here but how does the nation see it?

15-Mar-19
So the only apology comes from the one who did nothing wrong?

15-Mar-19
Frank, I think the first two sentences are enough. In my mind that should be all that needs to be said. after all, it's his facial expressions that people were frying him over. There was nothing else he offered up to rebuke. Remember, he's a 16 year old kid, he shouldn't be expected to deliver a dissertation on this matter.

15-Mar-19
bb,

I agree, in a better world you would be spot on. You have to play for the people though. He's 16, in a world driven by social media. It is different today. The first two sentences offer no apology. People need to hear "I apologize." It ain't right. but I want to win.

• Sitka Gear