Amoebus 14-Mar-19
Grey Ghost 14-Mar-19
gadan 14-Mar-19
spike78 14-Mar-19
Grey Ghost 14-Mar-19
13-Mar-19

gflight's Link
Oh brother....

"ST. CHARLES, Mo. (AP) — A 65-year-old Missouri man is jailed after being charged in the shooting of an Amazon delivery driver in a dispute over a handicapped parking spot.

KTVI-TV reports that Larry Thomlison of St. Charles is charged with assault and armed criminal action. Thomlison does not yet have an attorney.

The shooting happened Tuesday at the parking lot of a Target store in St. Charles. Authorities believe Thomlison was upset that the 21-year-old Amazon driver pulled into a handicapped-accessible parking space.

Police say Thomlison, who had a placard allowing him to park in handicapped-accessible spots, pulled out a cellphone to document the truck, leading to a struggle in which Thomlison was knocked to the ground. Police say he then pulled out a gun and shot the Amazon driver in the back.

The Amazon driver remains hospitalized."

13-Mar-19
Does not sound good. With very little information, it seems possible that an Amazon driver might be in really big trouble.

13-Mar-19
I have to bite my tongue when I see an able bodied individual taking the last handicap space. People abuse those placards and show no character. I blame the doctors who give them out like candy, too. But mostly, it's people who want the best parking who abuse it. I'd pay $100K for the privilege of walking from the furthest parking spot at any store.

13-Mar-19
Speaking of Barney Fifes, I read his original attorney, who removed herself from his case, was arrested for DUI, and his new attorney was arrested on domestic battery charges recently. The guy sure knows how to pick 'em.

People getting shot over parking spaces....UFB! As if the gun grabbers need more fodder.

Matt

13-Mar-19
I saw this story on the local news. That's when I found out the Amazon driver is colored, and the station played up the racial angle, instead of just reporting the facts. In my opinion, both are wrong. Amazon driver for parking in handicap spot, then going after the older man, and the older man for shooting the driver.

13-Mar-19
Sure are getting to be a trigger happy country, aren't we!? The least little thing these days and BANG! I blame it on a societal shift (starting in the schools) that pushed the idea of using your words instead of your fists, and eliminating "frustration outlets" such as dodge ball and king of the hill. The result is all this pent-up anger walking around like a bunch of pressure pots. Not good..

13-Mar-19
I was in a wheel chair for about 6 months with a bad broken leg and a bunch of surgery on it.....someone even stole the handicap placard out of my truck at my son's baseball game once. I didn't end up losing my leg like they predicted I might........but walking that "mile in your shoes" was an eye opener for me gadan. I see people all the time parking in those spots that look like they are walking fine to me....makes me want to slap the shit out of them. I live near where this took place.......that amazon driver was shot in the back. As much as I can identify with the rage that man felt........you are not allowed to shoot people in the back for parking in a handicap spot.

13-Mar-19
score one for the good guys.....

13-Mar-19
Both are at fault for sure. The old man has a big problem cause you can’t claim self defense when shooting someone in the back

13-Mar-19
In that police footage, it looks like he fired one round towards the police vehicle right after the suspect car was rammed by the arriving police vehicle. If it was a shot fired, luckily it didn't hit the second officer or an innocent bystander.

13-Mar-19

Fivers's embedded Photo
Fivers's embedded Photo
Fivers's embedded Photo
This frame shows the "smoke". I couldn't pause it between this image and the last image.
Fivers's embedded Photo
This frame shows the "smoke". I couldn't pause it between this image and the last image.
Right at this point, the gun is pointed right at the dash cam of the second officer's vehicle, then there is the visible "smoke" that appears to be from a shot fired.

13-Mar-19
Seen this happening all the time with the handicap parking, usually it is people that are extremely obese that need to walk. Seen a person with a w/c that needed the close spot and ms porky took it, it is overly abused with the placard.

Finding myself lately with less tolerance with obese people, reminds me of a friend that was in Vegas and a young woman came up to him wearing a halter top and ask him if her tattoos made her look fat and he said no that you are just fat, told him he was lucky not to be shot.

13-Mar-19
It is abused all the time. I was with my brother-in-law and his wife who were parked in a handicap spot (they had a place card) and these two women kept beeping their horn for him to move out of the spot. Finally, he drove off and the two women pulled into the spot (they had a place card too). They both got out and walked into the eating establishment and when I got in there I said to them, it looks like you two are not handicapped. Their response was that someone was going to drop of her husband who is handicapped. Of course, he didn't show up.

13-Mar-19
It is abused all the time. I was with my brother-in-law and his wife who were parked in a handicap spot (they had a place card) and these two women kept beeping their horn for him to move out of the spot. Finally, he drove off and the two women pulled into the spot (they had a place card too). They both got out and walked into the eating establishment and when I got in there I said to them, it looks like you two are not handicapped. Their response was that someone was going to drop of her husband who is handicapped. Of course, he didn't show up. Another one, after my brother-in-law passed, my sister-in-law was using his place card. I told her that she should not be doing that and she responded, I know. I told her that I was going to report her to the police and she finally got rid of the place card.

13-Mar-19
A very low form of life that takes a handicapped spot from someone who needs it. I have turned down the placard many times while driving around elderly family. I will gladly drop them at the door and pick them up and allow someone not so fortunate to utilize the spot. Our society has become so lazy it is disgusting to me.

13-Mar-19
This sounds like something that should happen a couple days before Christmas!

13-Mar-19
Easy fix. When someone is convicted of using a handicapped space when they're not handicapped, then fix it so they ARE handicapped! Problem solved. You want to be handicapped? Your wish is our command.

13-Mar-19
My condolences to the man who got shot in the back. Hope Barney 2 goes to jail for a long time.

13-Mar-19
Agree that those placards are abused. I drive a big truck, and have no problem parking way out and walking :)

My wife and I both got the placards for about a year and a half. Not for ourselves, but because our son had significant health problems, and we usually carried him in everywhere, because his wheelchair didn't support his head very well, and he had a lot of problems with secretions and choking. I think in that year and a half we used our placards maybe once or twice at HUGE parking lots. We both hated to use it.

13-Mar-19
The guy who assaulted him should be charged as well, since this one's alive....

13-Mar-19
"I'd pay $100K for the privilege of walking from the furthest parking spot at any store."

Most important comment on this thread.

I carry a handicapped parking card in my car. I occasionally take my mother somewhere. For several reasons, it would be impossible to drop her off and go park.

The rest of the time I never remember it is in there.

Took my MIL to town yesterday in her car. She is elderly and can walk with a cane, but walking across a large lot would be an imposition for her. Glad I was able to park close to the places she needed to go.

13-Mar-19
Zero condolences for the guy who got shot. Consider yourself lucky you survived the effects of your ignorance/arrogance, this time. Hope it hurt. Hope you learned your lesson.

13-Mar-19
I think he learned his lesson. He was shot in the spine, probably crippled for life.

13-Mar-19
Is there any details beyond this? Parking in a handicapped spot deserves a ticket and being called a db. Nothing about the parking would validate or invalidate the shooting. It all depends on the the physical confrontation resulting from it.

14-Mar-19

Franzen's Link
Based on new evidence both should be in big trouble. The suspected shooter was definitely wrong, if the article is accurate. Both should get jail time (if accurate).

14-Mar-19
Sounds like another angry Barney Fife, aching to use his pistol, initiates a confrontation, get's pushed to the ground, then shoots an un-armed man as he's attempting to walk away. And just like the first Barney, he's been charged, and will likely get real familiar with the inside of jail cell.

Meanwhile, a man is dead and another is paralyzed....all over stupid parking violations.

What is wrong with people?

Matt

14-Mar-19
This goes both ways.

I caught a guy in a wheel chair the other day using one of the spaces for us able bodied drivers at the Post Office..... Don't worry, I kicked his ass!

Pete

14-Mar-19
Hilarious Pete! Thanks.

14-Mar-19
Parking spaces closest to any entrance are where all the lazy,uncaring people park. Sometimes they even create a space where none are marked. These people will squeeze in too close, and bang and dent other vehicles without care.

No matter how many spaces are open, I always park far away. Walking a couple hundred feet doesn’t bother me one bit.

14-Mar-19
"Meanwhile, a man is dead and another is paralyzed."

No one dead in this story. But I agree with some - $300 ticket for the Amazon driver for parking in a handicap. Whatever assault / attempted murder change there is for the old guy. I don't mind the civil suit against the shooter either. Get his house/cars. He is lucky that the guy is only paralyzed.

On the parking close topic - my wifey works at a fitness place so I get in free. There are people that will loop for 10 min to get a close spot in order to get in and work out. Confusing to me.

14-Mar-19
"No one dead in this story."

I was referring the similar Florida shooting about a year ago, in which the parking violator was shot and killed as he attempted to back away from the altercation. We had a lengthy thread/debate about it. I nick-named that shooter Barney Fife. I'll call this shooter Barney II.

Matt

14-Mar-19
I appreciate all those who mention having a handicap placard but not abusing it. Even though I have a handicap license plate, if I drop my wife at a store so she can quickly run in for something, I don't park in the handicap spots. One thing you all should know is that if I am forced to park in a normal spot, I have to either double park or park far away where no-one will park next to me because I have to open my door all the way to get in and then swing my chair. If someone parks too close to me, I have to wait until they come out of the store and move their car. It stinks worse when it's raining but that is when it's most difficult to find a parking spot. It seems everyone has a disability these days. Some states are better at enforcing handicap laws but again, a big part of the problem is that doctors hand those placards out too easily.

14-Mar-19
All the scumbags from the island in my area that are on welfare also abuse the placards. Every one of them that gets out of the car walks perfectly fine to the store it’s sickening.

14-Mar-19
This kind of behavior is just foreign to me. In my neck of the woods, the handicap spots are always wide open. When somebody uses one, they need to. And it's not uncommon for total strangers to offer them assistance. I've done it often. Must be a rural versus city thing.

I'm also a 'back 40" parker, where nobody else parks. I hate door dings.

Matt

• Sitka Gear