South Farm 15-Mar-19
Trial153 16-Mar-19
Trial153 21-Mar-19
Amoebus 21-Mar-19
14-Mar-19

slade's Link
""Auto Prices Up Just 1 Percent From a Year Ago Despite Steel Tariffs""

14-Mar-19
Car sales have fallen the last couple of years, I thought that was the last data I saw.

Slackening demand puts downward pressure on prices, as does increased foreign supply.

Any way, more than any one variable at any given time effecting price changes.

Weakening demand globally seems to be a growing concern also as public transportation, telecommuting, i.e. substitute goods are also playing a role. And cars last longer today.

14-Mar-19

Habitat for Wildlife's Link

14-Mar-19
There will be a big upswing in truck purchases though because of the the towing thread on the Big Game forum. A lot of lurkers are going to go out now and trade in their 1/2 tons for a 3/4 ton to pull their 5000 lb trailers...

14-Mar-19
Till they learn 3/4 trucks cost more than houses

14-Mar-19
HDE,

That's funny. I was going to post on that thread how I regularly pull 7500lbs with my 'heavy' half ton Tundra, but figured I would get slammed for pushing a brand. Thing is, I have owned at least one each of the domestics, and my Tundra pulls better, even better than my F250 did. But, I get beat up enough on the CF so I held back.

14-Mar-19
I bought an F250 Lariat 4x4/off road in 2008. The sticker was ~$45,000. The exact same truck in a 2018 stickered at ~$58,000. That's without tariffs. They did give me a hell of a lot more off of the sticker in 2018 than they did the 2008 I can tell you that. The real difference was about $7k. I have a hard time believing your Tundra can out pull my F250 HW. I have no doubt it could out pull any F150 by a significant margin.

14-Mar-19
I bought my first ever new truck as a brand new law school graduate in 2005. A Dodge 2500 Bighorn Edition, diesel. No bells and whistles. Cloth seats, etc. I believe I paid a total price of $43,000. Unfortunately I traded that truck in 2010 for a newer diesel, got $15,000 for the trade, and it had 190,000 miles on it. (Injectors went out, in retrospect I shoulda kept it and paid the $3500 for new injectors)

Fast forward to 2016. Bought a new Bighorn Edition Dodge 2500, diesel. Paid $54,000 I believe, but that included about $2,000 worth of oversize tires and wheels. Or something close to that. A few bells and whistles. Cloth seats, but Navigation, etc.

But they put so many new things on them now. Back up cams. Cargo cams. Bluetooth. Nav. Power seats. Heated seats. Heated steering wheel, etc.

Is it any wonder they cost more?

As for the pulling thread on the main forum. . . . I admit to an extreme bias. I drive my diesel as an everyday driver and put 30-40,000 miles on it a year. I can't stand driving a little car. Not a big fan of little SUVs. I LOVE my big truck. Love the power and the torque. I don't mind that it rides like a big truck. It IS a big truck.

In between diesels, I had a half ton GMC for a while. I hated that truck. No guts. True, it rode nicer. Hell, you didn't know it was turned on, it was so quiet and vibration free. I was pulling a little 7x12 foot utility trailer with a Polaris Ranger on it a lot. That's like 1500 lbs. (light, but like a big sail on the back, caught the wind). Truck would barely pull it. I was never so happy to get rid of a truck

When I got this new truck, and I bought my daughter a Razr, I needed a new trailer. So now I pull my Ranger on a 16 foot custom tandem-axle car hauler trailer. I pull it maybe 50-60 days a year. Don't even know it's there on the 3/4 ton

14-Mar-19
SA, my F250 was a 2006, gas V8. It was rated to pull I believe slightly less than 10K. The Tundra, is rated to pull 10K. The Tundra at 70mph just slightly tacks over 2K rpm. My Ford was closer to 2.5K. Yes, I am sure the rear end gear ratio explains a lot, but I have no reason to fib. I am not a single product man. The Tundra is the worst on mileage and why Robin and I own 3 vehicles. I only drive it when I need to pull a load or pick up something big.

The Tundra even feels like it is more comfortable with that load, but it could just be me. I can say the Ford got stuck a couple of times pulling my tractor up my muddy farm road. I would have to unload the tractor and pull my truck and trailer with it. Have never done that with the Tundra, the 4WD locks really good. Again, I am not a fan. Besides the poor gas mileage, I believe they are the ugliest of the light trucks out there.

But, the guy driving is fairly ugly as well!

14-Mar-19
I've been getting 12 mpg for 20 years. This new truck is getting 13.

14-Mar-19
I have owned the big 3. If I were to ever buy a new 1/2 ton it would be a tundra. They are tuff trucks. Tundras come with 4:10 gears if I remember right. That is what helps them in the towing department.

With that said I think I am leaning to a diesel.

14-Mar-19
Habitat, that’s because of the gears in the Tundra, it’s made for towing.

14-Mar-19
woodguy,

I pointed that out. But the thread on BGF was about towing. That was my point.

Michael, if Toyota ever builds a diesel, game over.

14-Mar-19
My ‘17 F250 diesel averages 16mpg. I drive it everyday for work and play. I think I paid 64k for it. Problem with these new diesels is when the warranty runs out u might as well get another one because of what they cost to fix.

14-Mar-19
bigs,

I thought of getting one and going back to two vehicles, but how difficult are they to start in cold weather? Do you have to plug in a block heater? They would not be available where I park at school. Thanks.

14-Mar-19
What V6 came in a F250?

14-Mar-19
HW

Can’t help u there as I live in FL. All I care about is AC seats

14-Mar-19
Habitat. . . . I have ZERO problems starting my diesel in cold weather. In fact, this one doesn't even have a block heater. It takes a while to warm up, but I don't have to wait if I don't want to.

We keep our vehicles in an unattached garage. The normal winter morning routine is to remote start them both about 10 minutes before we leave (garage doors up of course)

14-Mar-19
And Habitat, I'm not too far south of you. Down in the Truman Lake area

14-Mar-19
"Michael, if Toyota ever builds a diesel, game over."

I thought they did. Isuzu (Toyota had a joint partnership). Isuzu makes Duramax.

14-Mar-19
I always liked manual trannies and V8's in pick-ups. I wished that was an option these days on the 1/2 ton F-150's.

14-Mar-19
Bake,

Thanks. I am actually thinking about the Diesel Colorado. It will pull 7500lbs I believe, and my trailer and tractor without an implement would be under that. Fuel economy is better than a full size I believe?

Thanks.

14-Mar-19
I bought a new 2002 F250 with the 7.3L diesel. The rumble of the diesel was cool for about a month, then it got old quickly. I got really tired of having to turn the damn thing off to go thru a drive-thru, or to talk to someone along side the road. Then it started having stupid little issues at about 80K miles. Of course, the problems were always beyond their warranty period, and they always cost about 4 times what they should to repair. I couldn't wait to get rid of that loud, stinky pig.

Since then I've had 2 new Tundras. A 2008, which I put 145K trouble-free miles on. I traded that in for the 2015 that I have now. My 2015 is the "1794 Edition", which is Toyota's answer to Ford's "King Ranch" model. It has all the bells and whistles, and a nicer interior than most luxury cars. I will buy another when I get tired of this one.

Matt

14-Mar-19
Jim,

I didn't know that. Diesel is not an option on the Tundra, at least not the last time I checked. Thanks for the heads-up.

14-Mar-19
Been driving a diesel for the past 15 years everyday for work. I'm pretty sure it contributed to hearing loss because I have to turn the music up to concert level just to hear it over the engine. I'll likely not drive another diesel unless it's a Class 8 road tractor in a low-grade B movie about a midlife crisis.

14-Mar-19
Now THAT is funny, Owl.

My mid-life crisis ride is my '81 CJ7 that I restored a few years ago. It was my Father's since new. It's like a time machine...I get a flashback to more simple and carefree times every time I fire her up.

Matt

14-Mar-19
Matt, that sounds like a great project. I've always wanted to pick a vehicle (four tires or 2) from my birth year and restore it. Can't top the connection you have to that Jeep, though. Good stuff.

14-Mar-19
GG - Toyota does make a diesel truck, the Hilux. Tows 7700 lbs.

You just have to go to Europe or Australia to get one...

15-Mar-19
So the V6 morphed into a V8, got it.

SA, No Kidding. For his magic Tundra to only turn 2000 rpm at 70mph means it had hwy gears and it is very doubtful it could out tow a rig turning 2500rpm.

15-Mar-19
Who cares, have you seen the price of BACON lately?!?! You'd think those oinkers are getting slopped with GOLD DUST!

Show me something that isn't going up in price. Everything from mortgages to moose hunts is going up; that's just life.

16-Mar-19

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Slade, FYI. And this was on level ground pulling my ATV.

16-Mar-19

16-Mar-19
Bring the Hilux to the US and sign me up for one ...

18-Mar-19
FYI, WSJ has an editorial today on the effects of the tariffs one year later.

21-Mar-19
From Geo-Political today;

Trade war fatigue. U.S. farmers, who are growing increasingly impatient with the U.S. trade war, have descended on Washington this week to lobby members of Congress and demand more progress on trade talks. The U.S. Department of Agriculture identified talks with Mexico, Canada, China and Japan as its top priorities and underscored the need to diversify the country’s trade portfolio. This doesn’t seem to have alleviated the concerns of producers, who said the U.S. withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership has cost them sales and market share in Japan. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue attempted to reassure them by claiming China could triple purchases of U.S. goods if a trade deal is signed. It’s unclear, however, when a resolution to any of Washington’s major trade disputes will be reached. U.S.-China trade talks are expected to continue into April, and the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement still hasn’t been ratified. As farmers continue to put pressure on elected representatives from their home states, the Trump administration’s ability to prolong the trade war may be limited."

21-Mar-19
The farm mafia, who would have thought it.

21-Mar-19

Amoebus's Link
And for you new tariff lovers...

"The Commerce Department submitted the report to the White House in mid-February, triggering a 90-day period for Trump to decide whether to impose tariffs, which could reach as high as 25 percent, on imported autos. It concluded that Trump could justify the tariffs on national security grounds and offered a range of options in response — putting the decision in the president’s hands, four people familiar with its conclusions told POLITICO."

• Sitka Gear