TD 30-Mar-19
KSflatlander 30-Mar-19
Annony Mouse 30-Mar-19
KSflatlander 30-Mar-19
Dale Cover 31-Mar-19
KSflatlander 31-Mar-19
KSflatlander 31-Mar-19
16-Mar-19
An interesting discussion of the science in various forms of energy production. He is not working for the fossil fuel industry and comes from a greenie background.

The short version is "We need to build more nuclear plants."

16-Mar-19
Well done. That was a really well laid out presentation. I'm sure his liberal contemporaries have gone round and round with him on this issue...lol.

16-Mar-19

KSflatlander's Link
How about that HA/KS, we agree that nuclear is the best option right now. The video was pretty good but the guy had some of his facts wrong about birds and bats. I’m sure you would be okay if they built a nuclear plant in your backyard? Or do they look just as hideous as wind turbines to you?

Oil reproducing as if we will never run out...you can’t be serious? Have you even looked up how long it takes to naturally produce a gallon of crude oil? I’ll clue you in, it’s in the millions of years. Longer than Homo sapiens have been on the earth...lol. See link.

16-Mar-19
I have both in my backyard, I'll take the bomb over those eyesore wind turbines any day..

16-Mar-19
Optimism...point well taken. I agree with you on that.

16-Mar-19
A century or more ago, we were also told we'd all die because the world would run out of whale oil.

How'd that turn out for the eco-warriors?

16-Mar-19
I have no objection to alternative energies as long as they are not forced on us and supported by federal dollars and given a pass on regulations that make other forms of energy more expensive than they would have to be.

I would have zero objection to living next door to a nuke plant. It would definitely be preferable to a wind farm.

16-Mar-19
Yes, I think that some of his numbers on birds killed are not accurate. Not sure about bats, but it could be off as well.

I also think that as more studies come out we will find that the low frequency sound pollution from windmills will be found to be bad for human health.

16-Mar-19
He said that windmills kill more of the larger endangered birds which is not true. They kill more passerines (e.g. song/perching birds. Why...because there are more of them. By far cats, cars, and reflective windows on buildings/houses kill magnitudes more than turbines. The mean bird kill at turbines is 2.5 birds per MW/year.

As far as bats, turbines disproportionately kill more bats than birds. The larger tree bats like hoary, red, and silver/haired bats get killed the most. Hoary bats are one is likely the most abundant bats in North America based on estimates. I say likely because we don’t have a great population count on hoary bats because the don’t hibernate in caves. Tough to count. Which may be more scary.

I too would not mind if a nuclear plant was nearby. The risk is worth the huge reward/energy output. So on that we agree.

16-Mar-19
Plus the good fishing in the warm water from the nuclear plant.

I really don't want to live near any of them due to the extra people and traffic, but that is an entirely different discussion.

16-Mar-19
Are we to belive the bullshite you sling is true, as in the blades that stop when a bird comes close and you linked a study, when called on it you linked a company that was using a handful of the cameras for the tens of thousands of bird killers.....ROLMAO

16-Mar-19

slade's Link
WindAction

Facts, analysis, exposure to industrial wind energy's real impacts

16-Mar-19
Lucky for NM, we'll lead the way in renewables and show everyone how to do it.

16-Mar-19

slade's Link
Wind energy is frequently touted as a clean, green source of energy that can reduce our dependence on fossil fuels.

But like all sources of energy, wind power comes at a cost — one that's too often borne by eagles, hawks, falcons, owls and other birds.

Wind turbines kill more than 573,000 birds each year in the United States, according to The Associated Press, including federally protected species like bald eagles and golden

Even bats are falling victim to wind-turbine blades: The Pennsylvania Game Commission estimates that more than 10,000 bats are killed in the state each year by wind turbines, the Wall Street Journal reports.

16-Mar-19

slade's Link
Increasing number of wind turbines are resulting in diminishing population of birds causing grave consequences in the most affected areas. According to a new study published in Nature Ecology and Evolution journal, although wind farms are considered to be a great source of alternative energy, the fact that they are impacting nature cannot be overlooked. The most noticeable difference being reduced activity of predator birds which is disturbing the food chain.

16-Mar-19

slade's Link
WILDLIFE & BIODIVERSITY Wind turbines kill birds of prey in Western Ghats

Farms producing the clean energy are acting as apex predators in the foodchain by killing predatory birds, which is increasing the density of vertebrates

Tuesday 06 November 2018

Wind farms reduce the number as well as activity of predatory birds.

Wind energy, considered a clean source of energy, does have a carbon footprint and is also known to disturb bird life. Now, a new study done in the Western Ghats has found that wind farms in biodiversity-rich areas can have deeper ecological consequences beyond already known impacts.

The study has found that wind farms reduce the number as well as activity of predatory birds, which in turn, results in an increase in the density of vertebrates like lizard on the ground. And since lizards have less fear of being preyed by birds, they are becoming less stressful. It means wind turbines are acting as new apex predators in the food chain in the local ecosystem, says the study published in journal Nature Ecology & Evolution on Monday.

The predatory bird species affected include Buteo, Butastur and Elanus and the density of lizard that showed an increase in numbers is Sarada superba, a fan-throated lizard endemic to the area.

The study was done in the Chalkewadi plateau in Satara district in the northern Western Ghats which is the site of one of the largest and longest-running wind farms in the region.

16-Mar-19

slade's Link
Do we know exactly how many birds are killed by wind turbines and wind energy infrastructure every year?

Unfortunately, the answer is no. All we have at present are very rough and potentially biased estimates that are based on an accumulation of studies from individual, unidentified wind energy facilities.

In other words, the blovation from those whose livelihood depends on the BS they peddle.

The reason? The wind industry treats these data as trade secrets and generally does not share them with the public or concerned conservation organizations. Some wind energy developers have even sued to hide these data from the public. Hawai'i is currently the only state that requires mortality data be collected by independent, third-party experts and makes the information available to the public on request.

These estimates that are made public — all of which range in the hundreds of thousands of birds and bats killed annually

— are based on non-standardized data that were collected and reported by paid consultants to the wind industry. ie Subsidy Sucklers...........

This is a direct conflict of interest that may lead to a reporting bias in favor of the wind companies (meaning, the numbers of killed birds and bats may be under-reported).

The fact that the energy companies are allowed to self-report their own violations of the Endangered Species Act (ESA), Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) and Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act (BGEPA) is a violation of the first principle of scientific integrity — that is, those that have a vested interest in the outcome should not be the ones collecting and reporting their results to regulatory agencies.

those species that are most susceptible to turbine collisions and/or displacement are raptors, night-migrating songbirds, and grassland birds.

16-Mar-19

HA/KS's Link
New alternative to Trump's wall would create jobs, renewable energy, and increase border security

I wonder if this would make everyone happy?

"A consortium of 28 engineers and scientists has proposed that – instead of building a simple barrier along the approximately 2,000-mile border – the U.S. and Mexico could work together to build an industrial park along the divide that would include desalination facilities, solar energy panels, wind turbines and natural gas pipelines. The plan would not only provide the region with border security – considering it'd be a continuous train of heavily guarded industrial facilities – but also energy, water and jobs."

16-Mar-19

KSflatlander's embedded Photo
KSflatlander's embedded Photo

KSflatlander's Link
HA/KS- you might be interested in the paper linked since you are a bird guy.

Again COWARD (a.k.a. slade) you show your ignorance and loud mouth. You focus on turbines killing birds and they kill at magnitudes less then many other sources. Turbines make up less the 0.01% of bird collisions with anthropogenic structures. Calling me a liar and then proven wrong for all the CF to see must if stung quite bit lol. Yep you’re that guy. Back for more embarrassment I guess.

16-Mar-19
That is 17 years ago. a lot has changed.

For one thing, a study of cats and what they kill showed that the mortality from cats was something like 10X what had been thought before the study.

One source of deaths from windmills is that birds just run into them. they are built in open areas where birds have migrated for many years without interference. Now there are wind towers and birds run into them (not the blades, the towers).

BTW, why did the wind people seek (and get) and exclusion from federal laws that prohibit killing eagles?

If wind and solar farms had to meet the same environmental guidelines an a new coal or nuclear plant, they would likely never get built. That is the exact goal of putting so many regulations on coal and nuclear - they are trying to prevent any new ones from being built and thereby forcing the acceptance of solar and wind even with all of their problems.

16-Mar-19
KSlielander,

Keep letting your BS spew from your subsidy suckling lips......

And share some more subsidy suckler data from 2002...........................

17-Mar-19
You’re right, that analysis was from 2005 when a lot of first generation of wind turbines were lattice towers and killed more perching birds and raptors. So the wind energy started using monopoles that had less perching opportunities and bird fatality rates went down.

So you are saying that wind companies intentionally put these wind farms in migratory paths? Really? Henry do you just I.D. Birds but never study thier behavior? You should know the interior migration corridor where the majority of wind farms are, like in the Midwest, it is a broad front migration. That’s why the USFWS manage migratory bids by flyway. The central flyway, for example, is very wide. Birds don’t migrate in a single file line in narrow corridors but in wide expanses. Your statement about wind farms being placed in migratory paths is hog wash. Are there examples of bad companies poorly siting wind farms in areas of higher bird migration. Yep. But the majority do not.

The wind companies did not seek and get an exclusion from the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act (BGEPA). Do you make this stuff up? The USFWS created an incidental take permitting pathway for eagles because the bald eagle population recovered from the DDT debacle and golden eagle population was stable. The BGEPA incidental take permit pathway is no different than that of the Endangered Species Act. If they created the permit path for any industry it was for transmission lines owned by fossil fuel companies. Eagles have been getting cooked on t-lines since the first day they put up the lines.

On regulations, the wind companies have to comply with the exact same laws as traditional power companies. How do I know? Because I’ve made a 22 year career of helping energy companies navigate the ESA, BGEPA, and MBTA. I started with working with wind companies 10 years. What companies do you think I was working for prior to 10 years ago? It was fossil fuel, oil, gas, pipelines, and transmission line companies. I still work with them. They all have to address impacts to protected biological resources. They all deal with the same regulations. Yes even eagles and the BGEPA.

COWARD/slade- what’s your next argument...”I know you are but what am I?” Or maybe it will be “na nana boo boo.” Sometime you just need to shut up and stop digging when you don’t know what you are talking about. Lol...idiot.

17-Mar-19
HA/KS- Please show me some scientific data that birds are flying into turbine towers and not the blades at a rate any more than buildings or cell towers. I would really like to see the data. We research bird impact all the time I have never seen any data that shows that birds running into towers was a major cause of bird fatalities. I never had the USFWS bring it up as a concern in the 10 years I’ve been work with wind energy projects. Not once.

17-Mar-19

HA/KS's Link
"So you are saying that wind companies intentionally put these wind farms in migratory paths?"

That is a misrepresentation of what I said. Birds migrate everywhere. However Kansas is a major migration route. I can't imagine how they got permission to put all of these towers in the place were the entire central US Whooping Crane population migrates.

"at a rate any more than buildings or cell towers"

Again, that is a misrepresentation of what I said. The fact remains that these towers were not there and now they are. Birds fly into towers. I'm sure that they also fly into blades and that is likely a more important source of strikes than the moving blades striking the birds.

There is a ton of information about how great wind power is. That makes sense because governments have poured billions of dollars into wind and into research designed to convinced the gullible of just how great it is. At the same time, they have promoted the ideas that competing conventional energy sources are the scourge of the earth.

It is all part of the anti-freedom anti-capitalist pro big government "the world will end in 12 years" lies.

Put 1/10 of the resources into improving and promoting conventional energy sources, provide a level playing field, and windmills would disappear as fast as they have appeared. Large scale solar would go away even faster.

From the link "In 2012, breaking the European omerta on wind farm mortality, the Spanish Ornithological Society (SEO/Birdlife) reviewed actual carcass counts from 136 monitoring studies. They concluded that Spain’s 18,000 wind turbines are killing 6-18 million birds and bats yearly.

Extrapolating that and similar (little publicized) German and Swedish studies, 39,000 U.S. wind turbines would not be killing “only” 440,000 birds (USFWS, 2009) or “just” 573,000 birds and 888,000 bats (Smallwood, 2013), but 13-39 million birds and bats every year!"

17-Mar-19
Subsidy suckling industry lacky mumbo jumbo spewer .......

VS

Michael Hutchins, Director of American Bird Conservancy's Bird-Smart Wind Energy Campaign, earned his Ph.D. in animal behavior at the University of Washington. Prior to ABC, Michael was Director/William Conway Endowed Chair, Department of Conservation and Science, at the Association of Zoos and Aquariums for 15 years, and Executive Director/CEO at The Wildlife Society for seven years. He has authored over 220 articles and books on various topics in wildlife science, management, and conservation, and has traveled to over 30 countries to pursue his passion for conservation.

References: ABC 2015. Bird conservation group calls for changes in collection of data at wind developments.

Associated Press. 2015. PacifiCorp sues to block release of bird-death data at wind farms. Oregonlive.com.

AWEA. 2017. Birds and wind energy.

Casey, M. 2015. 30,000 wind turbines located in sensitive areas for birds. CBSNews.com. Clarke, C. 2014. It's time for independent monitoring of wildlife kills at renewable energy sites. KCET.

Deemer, B. R., Harrison, J. A., Li, S., Beaulieu, J. J., DelSontro, T., Barros, N. Bezerra-Neto, J. F., Powers, S. M., Dos Santos, M. A., and Vonk, J. A. (2016) Greenhouse gas emissions from reservoir water surfaces: A new global synthesis. BioScience 66: 949-964.

DeGregorio, B. A., Weatherhead, P. J., and Sperry, J. H. 2014. Power Lines, roads and avian nest survival: Effects on predator identity and predation intensity. Ecology and Evolution 4(9): 1589-1600.

Drouin, R. 2014. 8 ways wind power companies are trying to stop killing birds and bats. Mother Jones.

Erickson, W. P., Wolfe, M. M., Bay, K. J., Johnson, D. H., and Gehring, J. L. 2014. A comprehensive analysis of small-passerine fatalities from collision with turbines at wind energy facilities. Plos One.

Grodsky, S. M., Behr, M. J., Gendler, A., Drake, D., Dieterle, B. D., Rudd, R. J., and Walrath, N. L. 2011. Investigating the causes of death for wind turbine-associated bat fatalities. J Mammal 92 (5): 917-925.

Howard, B.C. 2016. River revives after largest dam removal in U.S. history. National Geographic.com.

Hutchins, M., Parr, M. and Schroeder, D. 2016. ABC's bird smart wind energy campaign: protecting birds from poorly sited wind energy development. Human Wildlife Interactions 10 (1): 71-80.

Hutchins, M. 2016. To protect birds from wind turbines, Look to Hawai‘i's approach. Bird Calls blog.

Jackson, T. 2016. Wind farm sues to block bird death data release. Sandusky Register. Johnson, D. H., Loss, S. R., Smallwood, K. S, and Erickson, W. P. 2016. Avian fatalities at wind energy facilities in North America: A comparison of recent approaches. Human-Wildlife Interactions 10(1): 7-18.

Lebeau, C.W., Beck, J. L., Johnson, G. D., and Holloran, M. J. 2014. Short-term impacts of wind energy development on Greater Sage-grouse fitness. The Journal of Wildlife Management 78(3): 522-530.

Loss, S. R., Will, T., and Marra, P. P. 2013. Estimates of bird collision mortality at wind facilities in the contiguous United States. Biological Conservation 168: 201–209.

Loss, S. R., Will, T., and Marra, P. P. 2015. Refining estimates of bird collision and electrocution mortality at power lines in the United States. PLoS ONE 9(7): e101565. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0101565.

Magill, B. 2014. Wind, solar boosting investment in power lines. Climate Central, Sept. 14, 2014.

Mathewson, S. 2015. Endangered species: Sage-Grouse penned in by power lines. Nature World News.

Robertson, R. 2014. Balance of power and environment in the Sandhills. NET News. Schroeder, M. A. 2010. Greater Sage-grouse and power lines: Reasons for concern. Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife report.

Serchinger, T., Heimlich, R., Houghton, R. A., Dong, F., Elobeid, A., Fabiosa, J., Tokgoz, S., Hayes, D., and Yu, T. 2008. Use of U.S. croplands for biofuels increases greenhouse gases through emissions from land-use change. Science 319 (5867): 1238-1240.

Shaffer, J. A., and D. A. Buhl. 2015. Effects of wind energy facilities on breeding grassland bird distributions. Conservation Biology 30:59–471.

Smallwood, S.K. 2013. Comparing bird and bat fatality rate estimates among North American wind energy projects. Wildlife Society Bulletin 37 (1): 19–33.

Smallwood, K. S. and Thelander, C. G. 2008. Bird mortality in Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area California. J. Wildl. Manage. 72: 215–223.

Steelhammer, R. 2011. Hundreds of migrating birds die at Laurel Mountain wind farm. Charleston Gazette-Mail.

Stevens, T. K., Hale, A.M., Karsten, K.B. and Bennett, V. J. 2013. An analysis of displacement from wind turbines in a wintering grassland bird community. Biodiversity and Conservation 22:1755–1767.

17-Mar-19
Question here, but let me explain why.

In 2002 when we finished building our house in a rural area that we had to clear some brush and trees out, we noticed something weird. Almost immediately we had birds flying into the screened in porch, leaving tons of holes in it. A few birds were found dead on the ground.

A couple of years ago we replaced all of the screens. No bird collisions yet.

Did the birds learn and change their flying lanes, or did all the birds that used those lanes die off?

Deer adjust to hunting pressure, so my question is very sincere. Eventually do the birds learn and adjust their flyways and so kill rates will drop, and today's observations will be nullified? Thanks.

17-Mar-19
Noticed oil and gas was not calculated, probably because the number was so small it was irrelevant, but man, the power that can be generated via natural gas.

28.5k is still too much for wind. If we can save just one bird's life, eradicating wind power would be worth it...

17-Mar-19
HA/KS- here we go again. You make false statements here on the CF then backtrack by claiming others are misrepresenting what you said. I refuse to play your game of parsing words. It might work with your students but I ain’t playing. You say the data I reference is old but it is still relevant to this discussion and more relevant than your baseless myths or just because you “believe.” You say wind companies get exceptions to regulations over other energy producers and which is complete BS. Then lastly you start moving the goal post to other baseless claims based on your “beliefs” which seems to be a common theme with you. You can be faced with scientific evidence but if the conclusions don’t fit your beliefs then you just ignore it. That’s not science.

So whooping cranes, yes there are wind farms in their migration corridor and there is some risk that one could be killed by a turbine. You can’t believe the government lets wind companies build in the 200 mile wide corridor in the central U.S. So wind farms have been operating in the WC corridor for 15-20 years and not one WC has been killed by a turbine. Hell, sand hill cranes use a similar but wider corridor but rarely are killed by wind turbines. Why? For one, simply the are diurnal migration and can see the turbines. As far as wind, turbine blades occupy an incredibly small amount of the WC corridor airspace which is 200 miles wide and up to 5000ft abgl (WCs typically migrate at 1000-5000ft). Let’s just say it’s 0-5000ft. The odds (statistics) that a WC flies into a turbine is a fraction of hundredths of a percent. But that isn’t zero. True. However, what are the major anthropogenic killers of WCs. It is transmission/distribution lines and hunters shooting WCs. Why are you not wondering why the government is preventing any transmission lines or hunting in the WC migration corridor. Should we end hunting in the spring and fall in the migration corridor? Furthermore, WC are much more susceptible to extinction where they overwinter (Aransas National Wildlife Refuge) or Wood-Buffalo where they breed in Canada. I have been to aransas and toured WC habitat with the USFWS WC experts. I asked them if they are concerned about wind farms in the migration corridor. There response was “ not really considering.” They were much more worried about a toxic spill of tankers shipping hydrocarbons in Aransas Bay or a man made disaster like Deepwater Horizon in or near Aransas Bay. Something like that would wipe all WC out in one season. Over salineation of Aransas Bay was their 3rd major concern. So if you are really concerned about the survival of WC then pressure the USFWS to stop offshore drill, shipping of hydrocarbons in/out of Aransas Bay, or help them buy oil spill booms at Aransas and stop focusing on eliminating wind farms in the corridor cause you don’t like them.

The “ world will end in 12 year lie.” Nobody here is defending a silly statement like that. What about the myth you push that the universe is 6000 years old. That is just as ridiculous of a statement coming from a scientist.

COWARD- ok now it’s me vs somebody else. Just like a coward getting somebody else to do the fighting for you. And what does posting a bunch of references that you have not read or couldn’t comprehend? Yep, your that guy.

HDE- oil and gas was not calculated because the impacts are not direct and chronic. It is very difficult to calculate. The Ericsson paper I linked focused more on direct effects. But there are some models out there that do attempt to calculate the effects of oil and gas. You can look them up. Let’s put it this way, the Audubon Society is no advocate for fossil fuels. Just ask HA/KS, he might be a member. As to your last statement about one birds life is worth no wind farms. Cars kill millions of more birds. I’m sure you will do your part and start walking.

17-Mar-19
My objection to wind farms is not based on birds. The greenie lobby has assured us that after they learned from the early bird choppers in California, wind generation has changed and no longer is a great danger to birds. I bought that, but more recent research is showing that more birds and bats are killed than we had been led to believe.

If "renewable" goals are to be met, the number of wind farms will still increase exponentially. They will have to be located in less ideal sites, and the amount of damage will necessarily also increase exponentially.

My basic objection to the mad dash to wind and solar (in spite of what you say, it is without the same scrutiny as would be given to a new coal or nuclear plant) is based on government intrusion into our lives and the attempts by leftists to force us to choose it over more reliable sources of energy whether we like it or not.

We can compare how green energy is treated compared to traditional energy by thinking of how hilary and obama investigations compare to trump investigations. If they got the same scrutiny (and biased press coverage) as trump, hilary and obama would already be sentenced to life in prison if not executed for treason.

Green energy has the almost unlimited government pocketbook promoting and supporting it. Let it stand on it's own and see where that takes us.

I do appreciate that you have openly stated that your livelihood derives from wind power.

"if the conclusions don’t fit your beliefs then you just ignore it. That’s not science." Agreed. AGW and other greenie sacred cows need the light of honest science shone on them.

BTW, good point about diurnal migration of cranes. OTOH, are you aware that hunting is shut down where Whooping Cranes are known to be present?

17-Mar-19
Saw something the other day about ocean tide turbines. They can essentially be as big or small as you want to build them. Once they're submerged...voila, outta sight, outta mind!

17-Mar-19
My livelihood doesn’t depend on wind energy. I work with all energy sources and also transportation, water resources, and telecommunications with biological impacts and permitting. However, I’m proud of being a part of helping wind projects conserve biological resources... if that’s what you are getting at. Before you go there, I think all energy sources are needed right now and renewables can not simple replace them. On that we agree but I guess we disagree that the are part of the energy issue solutions. We do agree that nuclear should be a bigger player now and in the future. More energy and less impact but it’s a nimby issues with nuclear...kind of the way you are with turbines. But culture shifts take time and pressure.

17-Mar-19
Good post KS.

"kind of the way you are with turbines. But culture shifts take time and pressure."

It is the pressure that I most object to. If it's such a great idea, no pressure is needed.

BTW, how close do you live to a turbine? Would you object to a giant turbine being built next door to where you live?

17-Mar-19
For the record, Bush signed the legislation that accounts for the majority of the Federal wind energy subsidies, by way of production tax credits, in 1992. Those credits were extended by each administration since. They are due to expire this year, and it's not likely they will be extended under Trump.

Obviously, state and local governments can establish their own incentives for renewable energy, which some have done. But federal funding is likely to go away at the end of 2019.

I guess we'll see just how viable wind energy is in 2020 and the years beyond. I believe most of these wind farms are privately owned, so it shouldn't take long for capitalism to take affect. I predict wind energy is here to stay.

Matt

17-Mar-19
Suckler,

Unfortunately you were toooooooooooo pious to read the links, the authors and their reference were always there.

17-Mar-19
HA/KS- that’s a good question and I will give you an honest answer. I would all for it on my land. I would be neutral if it were on my neighbors land. My biggest issue is not noise but the lights flashing at night. But that is an FAA concern. They are testing systems that only activate FAA lighting when aircraft are near the wind farm. (COWARD/slade- you want to me a liar about that one? I dare you). So I think there are solutions in the future. I would say that I’m neutral and would not object. But my perspective different then yours. I understand some don’t like to look at them. I think t-lines are a bigger eyesore. That’s my honest answer. Take it or leave it.

17-Mar-19
"Guess you dont read mych"

This from the guy who can't string together a single legible English sentence? LOL!

Matt

17-Mar-19
Oh good grief...I don’t have the energy. Suns out and it’s in the 50s so I’m out.

17-Mar-19
By the way HA/KS, I likely owe you a bit of an apology for being so snippy at times. No excuses. I shouldn’t be that way.

17-Mar-19
When they don't burn up or explode...they freeze up ;o)

17-Mar-19
GG, thanks for the history. Not to excuse Bush, but at that time we had much less viable information about the AGW hoax being perpetrated by the left. Nixon gave us the EPA and OSHA.

While some of the incentives may be phased out, wind farms in Kansas are still mostly exempt from property taxes (compared to millions paid by the other power sources). Also, many states still force utilities to purchase renewable energy even if it is at a price higher than that from other sources.

Another factor is that wind farms that are already in place will probably continue to be in operation because they cost very little as long as they keep working. The jobs are almost all in the pre-construction and construction phases. Once operational they provide very few jobs.

The test will be how long they keep being built if price breaks, tax incentives and other advantages disappear.

KS "By the way HA/KS, I likely owe you a bit of an apology for being so snippy at times."

You might see it as snippy. I call it frank communication. Thanks anyway. Since I never post with malice, I assume the same of others.

17-Mar-19
KSflatlander- my post went over your head, but that's ok.

18-Mar-19
Sure it did HDE...lol

20-Mar-19
21-Mar-19

HA/KS's Link
As Flatlander pointed out above, one big problem is that transmission lines kill many birds - likely more than are killed by the many towers and spinning blades. Hundreds (thousands?) of miles of new transmissions have been built across Kansas because of the dispersed nature of wind power.

From the link "Regulators approve massive wind power line across Kansas"

21-Mar-19
HA,

I think your problem is more with state legislature than it is with the feds.

Matt

21-Mar-19
Why is that Matt?

21-Mar-19

Treeline's Link
This could be the answer...

28-Mar-19

HA/KS's Link
Oklahoma made a $1 billion mistake supporting wind power.

28-Mar-19
Bird killing aside, the damn things are ugly as sin and scars upon the land...like big herpes blisters on mother earth, these wind turbines are! I hate 'em.

28-Mar-19

Grey Ghost's Link
"New wind and solar now cheaper than 74% of existing US coal plants, study says"

Matt

28-Mar-19
Matt,

If you assign a value to each bird killed of say $20, coal is still cheaper.

You are still missing the big picture, your socialist, never Trumper ways are keeping you closed minded;-)

28-Mar-19

Grey Ghost's Link
Frank,

The wind industry has been a god-send for the struggling farmers and local economies in my neck of the woods.

Matt

28-Mar-19
"The wind industry has been a god-send for the struggling farmers and local economies in my neck of the woods."

Many things appear to be a godsend to the beneficiaries, but at what cost to the the nation as a whole and many other individuals who don't get the cash. Ethanol has done the same thing. That doesn't make it right.

GG if the information in your link is correct, why do states with the most wind generation have the fastest rising electricity costs?

There are many ways that the cost of wind is made to look cheaper than the actual cost and regulations intentionally increase the apparent cost of coal.

28-Mar-19
Frac sand has been a god-send for a lot of people too!

28-Mar-19

Grey Ghost's Link
"GG if the information in your link is correct, why do states with the most wind generation have the fastest rising electricity costs?"

I'm not going to just take your word on that one, HA. Provide some evidence of that claim.

I do know that Colorado is one of the largest wind energy producers in the country, and our electricity rates are well below the national average. Same for Kansas.

Matt

28-Mar-19

HA/KS's Link
Here is your link, GG. Colorado rates were historically low due to hydro power. Fifty years ago, all irrigation in my area on the Colorado side used electricity to pump and on the Kansas side used gas. There was that much difference in electricity rates at that time.

28-Mar-19
The numbers are run as stand alone systems. Pretending in some fantasy land that non on demand systems can be used stand alone and on demand. Run the numbers with the reality that the full demand conventional systems still need to be in place and the alternative sources as well as added infrastructure are costs IN ADDITION TO conventional on demand production.

28-Mar-19

Grey Ghost's Link
That's 5 year old information, HA. And it's what I'd expect with developing new energy technologies back then.

If you did your research, instead of just sticking with an old narrative, you'd find that electricity cost in Kansas actually DROPPED from Jan. 2018 to Jan. 2019.

Matt

28-Mar-19
Matt, that drop was due to the trump tax savings. Utilities dropped rates because of their federal income tax savings.

28-Mar-19
Then why didn't they drop across the board?

The mid-atlantic and mountain regions were the only ones to see a net decrease in electricity costs. Only 17 states had lower residential electricity costs in 2018. Ironically, Kansas had the largest drop of all. So, what are you complaining about?

Matt

28-Mar-19
The Tax credits do not end after this year. They actually continue on at a lower percentage.

As far as new construction goes we are full for this year. Everything we are working up bids on is for 2020 and 2021.

Some of our competitors are booked through next year already.

28-Mar-19

HA/KS's Link
GG here you go.

"The utility company formed by the merger of Kansas City Power & Light and Westar Energy operates with nationally competitive electricity prices that will gradually draw closer to lower retail rates assessed in most neighboring states, a company executive said Tuesday.

Chuck Caisley, senior vice president of Evergy, told a House committee complaints about excessive electric rates in Kansas didn’t take into account massive investment by the Kansas companies in renewable sources of power or compliance with federal mandates on emissions from coal plants. Not all peer states with less costly electricity have confronted these capital investments, he said."

"KCP&L customers to see reduced rates starting in December"

"Caisley said the merger of Westar and KCP&L led to rate reductions of $60 million annually. The merger accepted by the KCC prohibited base rate changes for five years, through December 2023."

28-Mar-19
In other words GG, Kansas energy rates have been raising much faster than the national average due to excessive regulations on coal and the cost of building "renewable" generation to meet regulatory demands. The drop in price is due to mergers that have spread the excessive cost of the above to consumer in other states, no longer just Kansans paying the price.

28-Mar-19

Grey Ghost's Link
To be accurate, Michael, only projects that begin construction in 2019 qualify for the reduced PTCs. Once they qualify, the PTCs last for 10 years. New projects that begin construction after 2019 do not qualify for the PTCs, unless they are extended by Congress.

Matt

28-Mar-19
..."Chuck Caisley, senior vice president of Evergy, told a House committee complaints about excessive electric rates in Kansas didn’t take into account massive investment by the Kansas companies in renewable sources of power or compliance..."

Henry, these high costs can reflect accelerated depreciation methods on those capital investments I would think. Maybe we are not comparing apples to apples?

28-Mar-19
Henry,

Kansas has tripled their wind energy capacity in the last 10 years, pulling them into the top 5 producers in the country. 15% of their electricity comes from wind farms. Last year they enjoyed the largest drop in residential electricity costs of any state. Their average electricity cost is well below the national average. I don't think those facts are a coincidence.

You can complain about wind energy all you want, but the reality is Kansas is benefitting from it more than virtually any other state right now, and they will likely continue to do so as they push towards 20% in 2020. I applaud your state, and hope it serves as a model for other states to follow.

Matt

28-Mar-19
GG, you missed it. the rate reductions come from two sources. One is reduced federal taxes paid by the utilities which were passed on to consumers and the other is a merger that allows the utility to stick consumers in other states with the excess cost of building wind and solar capacity in Kansas and average costs in Kansas are thus reduced. There is nothing to indicate that wind generation reduced cost to Kansas consumers and much to indicate that it has raised electricity rates in Kansas.

28-Mar-19
I didn't miss anything, Henry.

If your theory about tax cuts were true, then every utility across the country would be passing on the same savings to consumers. They haven't.

If Kansas figured out a way to make neighboring states pay for its own capital improvements, good for them. Again, I applaud them for their capitalism.

Matt

28-Mar-19
Matt, our rates are now being averaged with utilities that don't have the massive extra cost of building windmills. It saves money for Kansas consumers, but I'm sure somebody in other states will complain. Before wind came to us, Kansas rates were 25% below national average. Now (even with the cut) we are very near the average. Wind has not been good for Kansas electricity users. Add in what we have paid through subsidies state and federal and it has been very expensive. If it has cost OK a billion, I bet it has cost Kansas even more.

29-Mar-19
So the state of KS installed the wind turbines and not a utility...?

29-Mar-19
Utilities in Kansas installed them and passed the cost on to Kansas consumers. those utilities have now merged with other companies that serve a wider area and have a lower cost basis.

29-Mar-19
All of this has gotten away from the original post. The physics prove that there are not enough renewables to supply all of our power needs. It will get even worse when other forms of energy use such as transportation are forced to convert to "green."

Renewables do not have the great "save the Earth" impact that we are told is the reason we must convert to them.

There is still no real evidence that the earth is warming due to human-induced increases in Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere.

In other words, the entire nation's energy use is being forced to change for something that likely does not exist and even if it did would not be solved by building windmills.

This is part of the leftist agenda to cripple free enterprise and freedom in general in America.

29-Mar-19
"Now (even with the cut) we are very near the average."

Not even close. The national average for residential electricity is 12.47 cents/KWHr. Kansas consumers are paying 10.29 cents/KWHr. That's 17% below the national average.

I'm still not sure what you're complaining about.

Matt

29-Mar-19
"This is part of the leftist agenda to cripple free enterprise and freedom in general in America."

Good grief. If that were true, then why are 4 of the 5 largest wind energy producing states red states?

Matt

29-Mar-19

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Drove by this eyesore today. Interesting how many of them were not working.

29-Mar-19
Dirty ground, clean air...

29-Mar-19
“The physics prove that there are not enough renewables to supply all of our power needs.” This is false. There is enough but we don’t have a way to efficiently store it. If you are going to call on physics/science then your facts straight.

“Renewables do not have the great "save the Earth" impact that we are told is the reason we must convert to them.“. And fossil fuels do? At a minimum the supplemental use of renewables will help conserve (the root of conservativism) and expand supplies of a fossil fuels further into the future. That is fact and undeniable.

“There is still no real evidence that the earth is warming due to human-induced increases in Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere.”. This is also false. There is plenty of evidence to support that theory. Sure there is some evidence that it might not be human caused but the is 100:1 ratio on scientific peer reviewed data that it is human caused. But keep clinging to the Fox News agenda.

“In other words, the entire nation's energy use is being forced to change for something that likely does not exist and even if it did would not be solved by building windmills.“. I guess if you call representatives elected by voters passing incentives “forced.” By the way, the Republican congress passed the last extension of the Production Tax Credit. I guess you should vote Democrat next time.

“This is part of the leftist agenda to cripple free enterprise and freedom in general in America.“ And you think the right is any better? Here is a good litmus test for you. Do you think creationism and/or the Bible should be taught in school? If yes, then that is taking away freedom of religion from non-Christians. Republicans won’t pass gay marriage. Why are they preventing my son from his liberty and pursuit of his happiness? That is taking away his freedom.

Again, please stop spreading falsehoods and generalizing people.

29-Mar-19
What does any Constitutional Amendment have to do with whether or not renewables are a foolish idea? Can they compliment? Yep. Will they replace? Nope. At least not until the rest of the global economy does anyway.

Any and all big corporations seek tax credits. That's how we are able to have big paychecks and the CEO's get coddled.

30-Mar-19
I remember when they started building them on the Altamont in the 80s. If you wanted a big Tax right off you could invest in them. The big problem was in a few years they started breaking down. Their was never a plan for maintenance on them. People were making money installing them and that’s as far as they got.

30-Mar-19
Sooner or later the leftists out themselves.

30-Mar-19
Not only outing themselves for stupid sheeple, but their faux warming is steadily turning to cold and next they will go back to the 70's mantra and claim global cooling.

30-Mar-19
Nuclear power.

30-Mar-19
Well stated, KS. The concept of conserving finite resources seems to elude some people. It seems they'd prefer to race to the end of limited supplies, and let future generations be damned. The exact opposite of being "conservative".

Matt

30-Mar-19
Nuclear Power... !

30-Mar-19
Agree GG. Kinda like tax and spend

30-Mar-19
Nuclear.... IE: Thorium . Gen 111 and 1V ... Salt cooled ... New designs are smaller , and cheaper to build. Some eat spent fuel too, Much less waste and less dangerous . It's the future so we best get on it now.

30-Mar-19
GG and TE, nobody is saying renewables doesn't have a place on the grid. Those "conservatives" are only saying it is not a complete replacement and will not meet a sudden rush in peak demand if ever there were to be one. Without FF power generation and FF as a heat source, an event like a "polar vortex" could easily come up short when 50 million people are all affected at once...

30-Mar-19
"GG and TE, nobody is saying renewables doesn't have a place on the grid."

Actually, I think several people have said exactly that, including the OP.

Matt

30-Mar-19
They certainly seem to have their place in the tax grid......

Again..... they are in most cases not only tax supported (to those who it could be argued are the least in need of any tax breaks....) but are MANDATED. Would they even exist without that? In some cases..... mostly systems/homes built from the ground up as off the grid. I've seen several of those that work well. But you're not going to have too many 12v dc apartments with supplemental inverters and their own back-up generators.....

When production systems get to the point of being cost effective and more efficient than conventional systems then they will take over in a wave. Fusion, hydrogen, whatever..... Tech has always worked like that. Again, the LED example. People are not buying and using them because they are forced to.... or tax incentives to do so. They are doing it because they work so much better in pretty much every way. And it's happening in a wave like computers did, laptops, then smartphones.

People aren't "resisting" renewables. But they are being forced by governments and elitists to implement them even as they add cost..... as they are just supplemental energy, not stand alone on demand systems which are necessary. They're only true offset to investment in everything from manufacture, installation, infrastructure costs and maintainence is some fuel savings and possibly maintenance/wear and tear to existing on demand plants. Yet some use numbers obtained in a fantasy world of head to head comparisons. They are not head to head. They are supplemental.... and an added cost ON TOP OF conventional systems.

When those real replacement systems come about.... on demand, cheaper, cost effective and more efficient.... the change will give you whiplash. And those windmills will be piled up in heaps like twisty florescent bulbs......

30-Mar-19

KSflatlander's Link
TD- Are you sure about the LED lightbulb thing? Remember Limbaugh going on and on about the government taking his inefficient lightbulbs? The phasing out of incandescent lightbulbs was mandated by Congress and signed by a Republican President. Would LED bulbs have been so prevalent today had the government not mandated energy standards?

See link.

30-Mar-19
LED was comparatively rare when that edict came down..... it was aimed 100% at changing to florescent. I remember, as there was a great debate as to the environmental hazards of florescent..... at the time LEDs were crazy expensive and few real world plug and play designs.

A couple months ago I replaced a 500 watt metal halide flood light with an LED fixture that puts out 750 watts of light and uses 150 watts of electricity and about 4+ times the life. Entire fixture for $120, free shipping to HI..... and less than the replacement ballast for the MH light was. It's awesome.... instant on instead of 2 minutes.... when the ballast or bulb goes in the others I'll replace them as well. Replace. Not supplement what is needed to remain already.

That is happening because they are better in every way imaginable. You don't have to mandate, subsidize or need to use fantasyland reality ignoring apples and oranges comparisons to justify them.

30-Mar-19
It’s funny how incentives inspire innovation.

30-Mar-19
Those curly-que fluorescent bulbs mandated by the federal government to replace incandescent ones were the direct cause of our house fire in 2011.

Unless one read the small print on the bulbs, most people screwed them into their sockets holding the glass tubes as they had done with the bulbs that had been used for years. After numerous fires were reported, research showed that small cracks in the tubes lead to an imbalance between the gas in the tube and the ballast electronics causing sparks and fires. It is interesting to note that the government took no responsibility for the fires caused, but today it it hard to find one of those bulbs NOT enclosed by a traditional protective bulb.

Even so, the price of LED bulbs has come to the point where the fire starter fluorescent bulbs can be avoided.

30-Mar-19
The government did not mandate fluorescent lights. They only mandated an efficiency standards.

31-Mar-19
For the NIMBY crowd.

"Wind farms require up to 360 times as much land area to produce the same amount of electricity as a nuclear energy facility, a Nuclear Energy Institute analysis has found. Solar photovoltaic (PV) facilities require up to 75 times the land area."

From: https://www.nei.org/news/2015/land-needs-for-wind-solar-dwarf-nuclear-plants

Not exactly an unbiased source, but it's the info I was looking for.

31-Mar-19
Dale,

OTH, wind farms don't have to find a place to store spent fuel rods. I realize the newer plants are much more efficient, but there is still some risk.

I remember 3 Mile Island, we were glad the wind normally blew easterly since we were in Ohio.

That said, I support nuclear over current green energy sources. Natural gas second, but a good guess is that man will keep finding better ways to extract energy from our environment without the pollution currently discharged, so I support continued development. Maybe some government support when "infant industry" status, but we are well past that with wind and solar IMO.

31-Mar-19
I agree that nuclear power should be used more. The data you cited is misleading. Yes, wind projects require large area; however, all of the land is not unusable. Only about 1-3% of the land is converted for the wind project and the rest is continued to be used for farming and ranching. That’s why farmers and ranchers allow turbines on their property. Farmers/ranchers get paid for leasing of their land and they can continue farming and ranching as they always have. So in reality, the amount of unusable land in a wind project is about the same as a nuclear plant but a nuclear plant will produce +5 times more on demand energy. Big advantage. Solar does take up more more land that is unusable and produces far less energy that is variable.

31-Mar-19
HH- you are so full of it. There is not a single wind project in the world that has “10,000 turbines.” In addition, deer are some of the most adaptable animals in North America. They are found in cities, airports, industrial areas, etc. Wind farms have minimal impact on deer. I hunt mule deer out west among turbines every year. Good grief.

• Sitka Gear