South Farm 22-Mar-19
Salagi 22-Mar-19
jkmo 22-Mar-19
TD 22-Mar-19
Tonybear61 22-Mar-19
Thumper 22-Mar-19
jingalls 23-Mar-19
22-Mar-19
Kudos to my wife for this one...........

The other night we were watching one of the old movie channels, and they were showing the Jimmy Stewart film, "Broken Arrow", a western dealing with the Apaches. In one of the scenes, there were a group of Apache warriors with bows and quivers who's back were towards the camera so you could see all the arrows. My wife made the comment...........

"Hey look, the Apache's in the 1800's had PLASTIC NOCKS on their arrows!"

Good catch!

22-Mar-19
There are some awful ones, and not just old movies either. Like in one of the first seasons of Game of Thrones when the one woman holds someone at "bowpoint" with a warbow (a thick English longbow looking thing) at full draw for over a minute. And she's not even shaking.

22-Mar-19
Most those old shows didn't even have real Indians in 'em! White guys painted up to look like Indians. It's called entertainment, but good eye nonetheless. I'd be nervous of a wife with eyes for details if I were you! lol!

22-Mar-19
Back when I was a kid, Dad pointed out to me you could tell the high budget westerns by the cattle involved. The more longhorn cattle, the higher the budget. The cheaper films used Herefords etc. This was before Longhorns made a comeback (of sorts) in the cattle world.

There was a comic called Dragon Girl that is on the Gocomics website. Set in the days of knights and dragons the "boy hero" uses a compound bow. I laughingly pointed that out when the comic first appeared and the author admitted he knew nothing about bows. Same with many of the movies including now, the writers and directors know little about some of the plot devices used,

22-Mar-19
John Scifres made the original bow in the first Hunger Games movie. I’ve seen him post on here but not for quite a while. He is quite the selfbow guy. He told me the story of it came about around a camp fire at Cloverdale several years back. He actually made two for the first movie

22-Mar-19

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Archery is cool.... but has a hot factor....

22-Mar-19
Used to shoot with the guy who made all the custom bows for the Scorpion King movie.

Avitar the 8 ft tall blue creatures would get pass through on their 6 legged whatever's they were hunting, but could shoot through an armored personnel unit.

In the arrow series he uses his bow as a club they it shoots just great.

A lot of the current stuff is CGI and they have elastic strings instead of flexing limbs. Certainly nothing like Howard Hill shooting for the original Robin hood flicks.

22-Mar-19

Thumper's Link
Hollywood has tried.....

23-Mar-19
Thumper that was GREAT!!! I’ve never seen that!!!

• Sitka Gear