T Mac 24-Mar-19
HA/KS 24-Mar-19
Jim Moore 24-Mar-19
Woods Walker 24-Mar-19
Jim Moore 26-Mar-19
Tiger-Eye 26-Mar-19
WV Mountaineer 26-Mar-19
24-Mar-19
I am looking to pick up Nikon Monarch 5 8x42.....for those who own them would you buy them again?

24-Mar-19
I don't have them, but many friends do and they universally recommend them for someone who wants good entry level binos for a reasonable price. However, this is for watching birds. It could depend on what you want to use them for.

24-Mar-19
My wife has a pair. Good optics for the price. I live out in the big west and use swarovkis and vortex. Easier on the eyes when glassing big country for hours. I would take a good look at vortex. They have some in the same price point as the Nikons. Again the Monarchs decent.

24-Mar-19
Jim, you just MIGHT want to edit your first sentence! ;-)

26-Mar-19
Lol Lou. Good catch.

26-Mar-19
I just went through the binocular purchase routine. I looked at a whole bunch and had it narrowed down to the Monarch and the Vortex both in 8x42. I compared the 2 side by side at least 3 different times at a local cabelas. It was for all intents and purposes a toss up. Monarchs were a bit sharper and the vortex a bit more compact/lighter. I went with the vortex as they were on sale at the time. Would have been just as happy with the Nikons. I haven't used them hunting yet so that is a TBD. From what I researched both are excellent glass for the price point. Positive reviews from many users.

26-Mar-19
Monarch's are good for the price point....and they are damn near disposable compared the cost of a Swarovski or other big three.

26-Mar-19
Good bino's However, before you buy, check out Pentax if you can get your hands on some. Best Glass per level I've ever looked through.

• Sitka Gear