Community
Contributors to this thread:
JL 25-Apr-19
Woods Walker 25-Apr-19
TD 25-Apr-19
MT in MO 26-Apr-19
Russ Koon 26-Apr-19
25-Apr-19
I don't have anything Alexa but for those of you that do you might be interested in this. I also seen your car can transmit your conversations without you knowing it. Maybe Alexa and On Star have a thing going??

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/amazon-alexa-reviewers-access-customer-data-addresses/

Amazon’s Alexa reviewers reportedly have access to customer home addresses

Earlier this year, it was reported that Amazon has thousands of employees listening to conversations that users have with the company’s voice assistant Alexa. As it turns out, some of those employees may have access to more than just audio recordings. Some members of Amazon’s Alexa auditing team have access to location data, including the latitude and longitude of users, according to a report from Bloomberg.

The latest report presents potential privacy concerns regarding Amazon’s access to user data. According to the report, the location information provided to employees could be used to track down a person’s home address with relative ease. That could lead to more revealing data, including social media profiles and other information should the employee be inclined to dig into a person’s life. Bloomberg notes that there is no indication that coordinates have been used to pinpoint an individual user, but it’s worth questioning whether the information needs to be provided to people auditing Alexa conversations.

Because employees have access to voice recordings, they could theoretically pair the conversations that people are having with their voice assistant to other information that could be obtained by following the trail of their location data. A previous report about employees listening to Alexa conversations revealed that they sometimes hear what sounds like criminal behavior or other potentially personal activity. The ability to put a name and face to those types of recordings, which users may not be aware are being listened to by humans in the first place, could lead to invasions of privacy.

In a new statement provided to Bloomberg, Amazon said “access to internal tools is highly controlled, and is only granted to a limited number of employees who require these tools to train and improve the service by processing an extremely small sample of interactions. Our policies strictly prohibit employee access to or use of customer data for any other reason, and we have a zero tolerance policy for abuse of our systems. We regularly audit employee access to internal tools and limit access whenever and wherever possible.”

According to Amazon, it records location data so Alexa can more accurately answer questions and handle requests that require location-specific context, like the weather in a given city or local business recommendations.

25-Apr-19
Me neither. I don't/won't have a spyphone for the same reason. I'll go without a cell phone entirely if the day comes when a spyphone is the only option.

25-Apr-19

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo

26-Apr-19
I really don't understand the perceived benefit of having a listening device in my house that listens to everything that is going on and can record it all and make it all available to some 3rd party that I don't even know has access to it...Makes absolutely no sense to me why there is even a market for these things...Too many Star Trek movies I reckon...

26-Apr-19
Kids gave us one for wife's b'day. It's also still sitting in the box. I'm not quite paranoid enough to worry about being snooped on for some of the reasons expressed, but I would expect some further pop-up ad activity and increased junk mail and spam e-mails and robo-calls as a result of the eavesdropping device in the house. The kids are the modern consumers that advertiser's dream of, but have become more critical shoppers through experience. They do enjoy using their Alexis.

Of course our son quickly found ways to have fun with the device. Teaching Alexis to fart was almost immediate, and a while later, requesting it to play Willie Nelson as he left for work, knowing that our daughter-in-law was not a fan of country and was still at that time unable to cancel or change his orders, has been among his notable achievements with it. She quickly learned learned how to control Alexis, and is still plotting revenge for the hours of country and western filling the house.

Not too concerned about any longer term effects. Our house is the place electronic gizmos go to die. This one will likely Join our collection of remote controls and orphaned battery chargers in the box of stuff that has quit or may be something that we'll discover that we shouldn't have thrown away, so are still in that box in the closet.

I wonder if Alexis can control the volume or fast forward of the TV remote? Might actually be handy while we wait for a replacement remote for from Direct Tv.

• Sitka Gear