gflight 17-May-19
WV Mountaineer 17-May-19
WV Mountaineer 17-May-19
AZOnecam 17-May-19
bigswivle 18-May-19
JL 18-May-19
JL 19-May-19
16-May-19
I was given stainless steel Yeti tumbler recently.

I filled it with ice cubes and cold water last night about 6:00. I just opened it a few minutes ago ( over 22 hours later) and most of the ice cubes are still there.

Amazing!

16-May-19
I was given one of their travel coffee mugs with an insane gasket in it. The funny part is that is has a sip hole in it that you can’t cover or close so what is the point of the gasket around the top?

16-May-19
Grizzly

16-May-19
The one I have has a top which screws off and on. There is no hole for drinking or even for a straw.

In the past, I've always just filled a standard plastic drinking glass with ice and water. It has a slide to open when you want a drink. I put it on my bedside table when I go to bed. Within 4-5 hours , the ice has melted and the water starts approaching room temperature.

So to have a tumbler which could keep solid ice in it for 22+ hours was a huge improvement.

16-May-19
My daughter got me a Yeti mug for a gift and it works very well. If I fill it with hot coffee in the morning it's still drinkable warm by mid afternoon.

16-May-19
I bought an Ozark Trail tumbler from Walmart for $8.68 that holds ice for 24 h also.

16-May-19
Have a few yeti coolers. Both hard and soft. I’m a fan, but I think the knockoffs have caught up.

Matt

16-May-19
Wow. That’s interesting.

Technology can be cool. No pun intended.

They should make a cooler. Bet they’d make a fortune.

16-May-19
They do, and it COSTS a fortune!!

16-May-19
Yes, it is neat technology, but if someone needs to keep coffee undrinkably hot for 6 hrs, they probably shouldn’t be drinking coffee...because they ain’t. Our boys got my wife and I a couple of them a few years ago and I bring it out every now and then, but always go back to my ceramic 12 ounce cup for my ride in to work.

16-May-19
Do you notice when it's cool outside and you have hot coffee in the Yeti that it gets extremely cold to touch on the outside. Piping hot for most the entire day on the inside. Must be that technology thing. I'm a fan of the Yeti.

16-May-19
Does it have an internal thermostat?

How does it know if input fluid is hot or cold?

I’d think those folks that travel out west to hunt big game would be interested in a cooler that could keep meat cold fir a while.

Charter boat captains too.

16-May-19
I will not use products from companies who are anti's

17-May-19
Excellent gear. Yeti makes a great coffee mug which will hold 12-14 ounces of coffee and keep it hot/warm for a couple hours. I'm sipping from it as I type this. All their tumblers far exceed my needs. One of the best things I have from YETI is their stainless 1/2 gallon jug.

17-May-19
I own a yeti and two Ozark Trail travel mugs. Best I can tell, the Ozark Trail does just as good, if not better keeping things cold.

17-May-19
They all good now that the NRA is having problems?

Asking for a friend....

17-May-19
I purchases one of the knock off coolers at WM. The ice lasts much, much longer. Much less expensive than a Yetti, but will pay for itself in one summer from reduced ice purchases.

17-May-19
For the record, I will not buy anymore of their products for the reason slade mentioned (and they aren't the only ones...). What I have of theirs was a gift that I received before they decided to become a political mouthpiece.

17-May-19
I have had three for several years all different brands and they will all keep ice for 20 hours or so. When we fish we all have the 30 oz. cups to keep our coffee hot for a few hours. A friend of mine works in a sporting goods store and they put ice cubes in a Yeti and a Big Frig and the next day they both had the same amount of Ice cubes left. I liked the Big Frig since my friend gave me one for a trial and I still use it.

17-May-19
An elderly fellow from Ala. said "the greatest invention ever made is a thermos". You put cold stuff in it and it stays cold, you put hot stuff in it and it stays hot. "How do it know?"

17-May-19
Are you sure that wasn't a Congresswoman from New York? ;-)

17-May-19
I've never bought anything Yeti, and probably won't either. However, I too was gifted a tumbler and they are pretty nice. A knock off would probably serve me just as well, but I'm going to use the gift until it no longer functions.

17-May-19
They’re very good at marketing

17-May-19
RTIC.....just as good, half the price.

17-May-19
My wife asked my friend why they called the tumbler Big Frig? He said it is short for refrigerator. They make a lot of stuff and it is all as good as anything else on the market.

17-May-19

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
This is the one I purchased, for $97. It kept my ice for over 5 days, 50 degrees at night mid 70s to lower 80s during the day.

Lifetime is the brand, and it secures a lot similar to a Yeti. Same size in the Yeti was $249.

17-May-19
RTIC is the brand I’d buy over Yeti. They all do the same or darn near it, even the no name brands. I fill my coffee cup at 7 and drink water until the coffee is finally to a drinkable temp at 10:30, lol. I don’t mind though as I actually prefer coffee more in the evenings than in the morning.

17-May-19
I haven’t had bad yeti product yet. Even better that company stands up for conservation as well. No issues with yeti or their products. I have three coolers and some tumblers..they been solid and will out last me.

17-May-19
I'm with Slade and WW. I was gifted a tumbler that works well, but I'd rather buy from Grizzly. However, Yeti does know how to market.

17-May-19

Shuteye's embedded Photo
Shuteye's embedded Photo
Big Frig makes very good stuff.

17-May-19
How durable are the rubber straps? I've seen them on all the Yeti type coolers. I'd be concerned they would tear apart over time.

17-May-19
Sleepy, very durable. Also easy to replace if they start to go.

17-May-19
There’s this other new stuff out call ArmorAll.

Periodically lube the straps and the rubber seal in the lid. It will extend the life of both.

17-May-19
You can get every part of a Big Frig is something breaks or wears out. They will also custom paint and put your logo or picture on their tumblers.

Rocky Mountain makes great tumblers also and I have one of them also.

17-May-19
Excellent.

17-May-19
I won a 45 qt Grizzly cooler. It doesn't keep the ice any better than a cheapo coleman that I have. It does a bit better if you pre cool it before loading it up, but not by much. I may get one of those coolers like H4W has for a try. See how that works. I have an RTIC tumbler that works pretty good. My son spent a fortune on a huge Yeti cooler. You could easily stuff a quartered up mule deer in it. He said it works good.

17-May-19
When I've looked at Yeti coolers, what turns me off is how little usable space there is inside due the walls of the coolers being so thick.

17-May-19
Just had the rtic 65 quart delivered today. Hoping it works as advertised. I'll use it at my cabin in the u.p. Im trying prevent driving into town getting ice every couple days.

17-May-19
If you ever want a really high end cooler, call frigid rigid. They’re incredible!!!!!

17-May-19
I'm always a little surprised by the anti-Yeti bias. I have 3. A monster 200+ quart that my wife bought me before an elk hunt. One of the little square zip ups (which I hate, as it doesn't want to zip), and I just bought my wife one of the big pouch zip ones for groceries.

I've been wanting a mid-size. Maybe 70-100 quarts. So this thread made me look. . . .

RTIC 65 quart is $310, but they're having a sale for $246

Big Frig 70 quart is $379

Frigid Rigid 65 quart is $730

Yeti Tundra 65 is $349

17-May-19
Grizzly 60 quart is $299

I really want that Yeti Tundra Haul with the wheels. A good size for my family, and would be handy with wheels. $399

17-May-19
$730 for a freaking COOLER????

17-May-19
I picked up a Yeti cooler, Benchmade knife, some UnderArmor base layers and some half price ammo at Dick's yesterday. One stop shopping.

17-May-19
LMAO at Peco......

17-May-19
Yeti cut ties with the NRA because of a school shooting and doing nothing so some folks hold that against them...

17-May-19
PECO lol...

17-May-19
gflight,

I don't think that was the case, although it fits your agenda.

Check the FACTS, not what internet cowboys claim.

YETI said they stopped special discounts for NUMEROUS organizations because those discounts were not working for them.

Period!.

FYI, the only YETI product I own is the tumbler which was given to me. I did not buy it.

17-May-19

gflight's Link
What's my agenda?

Right after the school shooting the NRA was dropped and no one knows any of the other organizations they cut ties with, they also...

“Yeti decided the NRA Foundation can’t place any more orders and in fact they forced us to cancel orders they would not fill.”

17-May-19
Gerald,

Again, check your facts!

Even if that doesn't fit your hate for the NRA.

17-May-19

gflight's Link
That's snopes what else you want?

Another version so you can decide if the NRA is lying to raise cash for Wayne.

"Yeti declined requests for additional information about the number and names of the other organizations that benefited from the defunct discount program."

17-May-19

gflight's Link
This was dated April 30 and I see no retraction from NRA nor released evidence from yeti. Check the timeline of events and make up your own mind....

The National Rifle Association does not want its members to destroy their Yeti coolers in an act of protest.

But it has another idea of how to stick it to the company that it says cut ties with the NRA.

In a letter, the NRA Institute for Legislative Action asked members to put a big sticker on their Yeti products rather than destroy the expensive coolers. And it's not just any sticker that will mask the Yeti logo: It says "I STAND WITH THE NRA FOUNDATION."

17-May-19
Snopes?

SNOPES?????

The ultimate left-wing biased phony 'fact checker?'

Really???????

ROTFLMAO!!!!

17-May-19
Can I purchase several of those stickers at the NRA on-line store?

:-)

17-May-19

gflight's Link
Good business to be friends with everyone you can and distance yourself from the NRA since liberals hate them.

Especially if you want to be publicly traded...

"Yeti's wholesale partners include large chains like Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS), Bass Pro Shops, and REI, as well as thousands of small, independent retailers. And though the space might not look especially robust, its partners remain enthusiastic about their relationship, especially Dick's, which called out Yeti and its displays during its own earnings conference call as helping to drive sales."

17-May-19
"The ultimate left-wing biased phony 'fact checker?'"

Exactly. Wouldn't they do everything they could to black eye the NRA.

With the the crap that's happening now I wouldn't be surprised if the NRA was lying to raise cash like you say.

Did you realize Yeti Holdings has been one of the best stocks of 2019. Already this year, Yeti Holdings stock has risen 113%.

Man if I would have bought some in December....

17-May-19
I get it!

Businesses are not allowed to have stores with which they might disagree with on some issues to sell their products.

Good Lord!

17-May-19
I said it was good business...

17-May-19
Yet you crapped on Yeti for doing just that.

17-May-19
I crapped on yeti for dropping the NRA after a school shooting uproar and coming back 3 days later with an excuse because people were blowing up coolers.

Good business is they conned people, went public, partnered with Dicks and got by with it for now...

17-May-19
Give it up, Gerald.

You embarrass yourself

17-May-19
The stuff I buy is because I have a friend that works where they sell coolers, tumblers and other stuff. I get his discount and he brings it to me.

17-May-19
You embarrass yourself

How so?

I am not the one who defended the NRA for years and now calls them a liar over a cooler company who threw them under the bus.

17-May-19
"How durable are the rubber straps? I've seen them on all the Yeti type coolers. I'd be concerned they would tear apart over time."

I'm no Yeti fan. And, the tumbler was a gift to me. However, it would take a nuclear bomb to tear a Yeti or similar cooler up. About 1 month ago, I was doing some landscaping and had to unhook a 4 ton dump trailer from my truck full of trees trimmings, old mulch, etc.... I did not have a hitch block to set it on. Only a Yeti cooler. It was one of their smaller coolers. 20 Quarts or so intended for day use. Since towing that trailer through heavy traffic was not something I looked forward to, I set that thing under the tongue stand and cranked the trailer onto it. It set on that cooler for over an hour. When I got back and hooked the truck up, there wasn't even a scratch on the lid.

I don't know the tongue weight of that trailer but, it was heavy enough two of us couldn't even budge it when trying to lift it back on the ball of my hitch. While that isn't the latches you asked about, no one is going to build a cooler like that with cheap latches.

Frank, I'm in 100% agreement. Nothing holds ice better then a Lifetime cooler.

17-May-19
Kyle, You claimed he was wrong, He showed reason he believes validates his feelings. FWIW, I personally feel he is dead on. Yeti made the decision they did based solely on business. And, in my opinion, anyone who dismisses that in entirety, is the one being shallow and nuts.

Its a free country. People can decide to do business with whom they please. Based on whatever they deem important. Alow the man the same without shaming his choices.

17-May-19
Yeah the rubber straps do break, and they aren't very easy to replace. I borrowed one of the more expensive YETI coolers from my mother-in-law and had one break. I had to fix it and found that you have to drive that aluminum rod all the way out to put the new rubber handle on. Hard to do without bending the rod or marring the cooler.

On a side note - I have to give a big thumbs-up to YETI's customer service. Years back my family went on an ill-fated canoe trip down the Colorado from just above Moab to a pullout called Potash. The ill-fated part I'll respond to later. We needed a good cooler, and bought one of the YETI soft-side coolers for just under $400. It really didn't perform well but we just chalked it up to an impulse purchase.

A couple years later, the zipper started binding up and not closing properly. We contacted YETI and they admitted there was an issue with their earlier zippers and offered to send us a replacement. Here's where it gets good. We asked if instead of sending us another soft-side cooler, they would replace it with a hard-side cooler of equal value - and they did. At no cost to us, they sent us a Tundra 65. I couldn't be happier with their customer service.

As to the mugs, yeah, a Walmart, RTIC, anything similar on Amazon - they're all the same. Double wall aluminum will hold ice over night no matter the brand.

18-May-19
Being 100% grizzly proof is a great perk living in Florida. Grizzlies are ferocious down here!!!

18-May-19
Someone above mentioned the small inside capacity of these high end coolers. I have to agree. It takes alot more outside cooler dimension (using valuable space in your truck) to hold the same amount of inside storage as a less expensive cooler that takes up less space. The physical space they take up could be used for other gear. That said...I believe a lot has to do with what your intended uses are. I travel alot snowbirding and the cheaper coolers will keep frozen fish for several days. If you have the extra space and do longer trips frequently, maybe the higher end coolers would be a better option. In my case, I don't need an expensive cooler that keeps ice for a week plus. IMO the expense isn't supported by the use. Plus I'd need two expensive coolers to do what a single cheaper one is doing now.

19-May-19
HH....funny you mention the ice and sawdust storage. About a week ago I was looking on Google News Archives and seen an early 1900's article with pics on how to build an ice storage house using sawdust as an insulator.

• Sitka Gear