NvaGvUp 21-May-19
NvaGvUp 21-May-19
Will 21-May-19
HA/KS 22-May-19
peterk1234 22-May-19
Woods Walker 22-May-19
16-May-19

Woods Walker's Link
Just when you think it can't get any more insane..........

"The College Board, which oversees the SAT exam used by most U.S. colleges during the admissions process, plans to introduce an “adversity score” which takes into consideration the social and economic background of every student."

Uhh.....how about just scoring the students on WHAT THEY'VE LEARNED, instead of giving them a participation trophy????

17-May-19
Yeah, my wife told me about this last night. Where are we at in the toilet flush?

17-May-19
I just about crapped in my pants when I heard this this morning. WTH have we become? no more are your merits the only consideration.

17-May-19
Taking economic background into consideration makes sense.

17-May-19
Actually see both sides of this. It is about economic background mainly, not race religion etc.

Where I teach in KS the schools have plenty of funding, not so much in other pockets. The better schools usually correlate to higher average scores. Yes, family background and behaviors as well as lots of other variables affect this, but in lower income areas parents may not have the option of one parent staying home, or home schooling, or even being prepared educationally to help their children.

I know this is not anyone else's fault, yet I have a tough time only because the children really did not make any choice in their situation. Gosh, I hear myself and yes I think I sound left leaning right now. God help me!

17-May-19
Frank, because democratic politics have destroyed the public school system in urban areas, etc now we have to change the rules to make it "fair" for kids that suffer because of their politics? I agree that's it' not the kids fault but at what point does anyone take responsibility for their failed politics anymore?

17-May-19
It has nothing to do with kids. Colleges are businesses and they have to get kids in the door to make money.

Frank is 100% right in his statement about poverty and education not being the kid's fault. But it's been shown many times that low scores on entrance exams correlates to high college drop out rates. In my opinion lowering standards will increase college drop out and student dept that can't be repaid. It creates an empty promise that is very costly to the individual.

17-May-19
I am in agreement with you, and the policies need to change. Even if we do that now, it will take years, if not decades to reverse the many failed policies, as you no doubt know. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age, LOL. I know I have had a blessed life just because I had access to a good education, I just want the same for everyone willing to put forth enough effort. Life is tough enough without experiencing difficulties you did not create.

Again, I know I sound left leaning. Personally I think people need to pass a test to have kids, which includes their knowledge as well as their financial ability. But hey, I also believe in limited government. I have to admit, I do not have any good answers.

17-May-19
The ability of young Americans to use language, the tool of thought and the primary measure of intelligence is in serious decline. The ever constant bombardment of entertainment propaganda: TV, music, internet, video games, replete with mesmerizing effects captivated by 24/7 sports programming equates to calculated brainwashing. The media monopoly of thought influences the tattered remnants of reality and perceptions, and this condensed radiation effectively controls individual thought from a otherwise talented mind that could eclipse and harness immeasurable breakthroughs in various fields. The media lid is hermetically sealed and the American student once touted worldwide as the benchmark of excellence has become a numbed down also ran with no end to the downward spiral. Aspiring American college students today would be hard pressed to say the least to be accepted to the elite institutions of the 50' 60's relying solely on their scoring acumen of the day. America is and has long been in serious educational decline of their young and future leaders...but who cares? Adults and parents have fell victims and prey of the same shell game perpetrated upon them. The difference being they should know better and what is best for their children future but they have made a deal with the devil and most importantly L.A. Fitness.

The Rock

17-May-19
The addition of an Adversity Score would seem to be an admission that the SAT Test itself is no longer valid or predictive. Since the company is now headed up by the guy who championed Common Core, no one is surprised.

17-May-19
FWIW, Most colleges are doing what mine does today. We test kids as in the past to place them at the right levels, but we also offer a lot of remedial education, both formally and informally. There is much more support today to help kids than when a person my age, 60, attended college. I admit that is a sign K-12 is not getting it done for many, but colleges are not just letting them sink.

Definitely our culture needs some scrutiny, but then I worry about sounding like an old man, LOL. I still love Eric's line in the 70s show, "I thought my name was 'dumb ass' for the first 17 years of my life". My parents and people their age at the time talked about us going to hell in a hand basket because of our music, the way we dressed length of our hair, etc. I still have faith that we are yet to hit our best days, and no doubt we see the right side fighting back more. That is good!

17-May-19
Frank, I personally feel that college is simply a business trying to make money. It is in their best interest to get quality kids in who will excel after college, but they are running short on those people. So they have decided to chase numbers and get as many in as possible to get at least a semester or two of tuition out of them if they can.

The fault lies in the families (or in many cases the guardians). I see kid after kid who think they HAVE to go to college to be successful after high school but have zero plan on how to do it. There is no plan to pay, or study skills worked on, or even a cost analysis of cost vs future income. They simply go if they get accepted. For many of them it's a bad decision and a very costly one. It's like buying a $100k car with no income to match and nobody is telling them it's a bad idea. I truly want everyone to have a chance at education and betterment, but to be unprepared is common and not good.

17-May-19
Jason,

I agree with you. We need more folks to go the route of technical/trade skills where we have a shortage. Proud that my school is building a new structure to teach the next generation with the latest in the technical trades! We have $104M in capital improvements going on right now, and we already have a very large campus. Maybe belatedly, but schools are starting to realize we have enough folks educated with the back ground I do, in fact a huge surplus actually. Part of the problem though is parents still want to "compete" saying their kid goes/went to XXX University.

Infrastructure might be a thing of the past soon though. More and more of this probably ought to or can be taught by employers, IMHO.

Thanks.

17-May-19
If the SAT score is used as a metric to see if you can handle the academics at the college, then why does it matter rich or poor, black or white or anything else? If the college says you need xxxx to get in here, the rest won't matter.

Want to make it better? Add an IQ portion, that goes beyond what SAT tests for today as no matter your IQ you won't ace the math portion if you haven't aced calculus.

17-May-19
Frank, what trades is your district going to focus on with your new building? We bus kids to a local Juco that want to get a jump start on trades. Auto mechanics, welding, machining, none destructive testing, etc. are the most popular.

17-May-19
Auto welding, but not skilled machinist, which we need.

17-May-19
Those that are for this idiotic idea should have to pay for the tuition of the students who get into college based on these new merits. There have been plenty of people who came from hard backgrounds, only to achieve great success in adulthood. IT IS certainly partially the kids faults if they take no initiative to do well in the school they attend, and beyond if they really want to succeed.

17-May-19
Most of the SAT is norm referenced BS anyway. "What Difference Does it Make" whether you Buy-in, test in, or Pell-in?

If I were going to support one Social(ist) Program it would be education. What do you like?, are you halfway good at it (aptitude test), free ride to votech or liberal arts as warranted.

Buy that with my tax money...

17-May-19
So this program gives hidden bonus poverty points to kids. But if you did the same thing by lowering the minimum college SAT scores required for those same kids, basically giving the same free bonus points on the back end... oh, that would be racist / sexist / etc.

17-May-19
CCE- I ain't no Senator's Son, very true then and true now.

17-May-19
Yeah!

Let's send kids to schools where they can't keep up academically and then fail when they could otherwise go to good but less prestigious schools where they can succeed, graduate and then go on do great things!

Right?

Well, NO!

If you're a liberal, seeing these kids succeed is irrelevant as long as it makes liberals 'feel good.'

17-May-19
If colleges got rid of such valuable degrees in areas of black studies, women's studies, basket weaving and all the nonsense degree areas seen today, SATs and other admission tests would make sense. As it is, we have seen massive student loan debt for degree areas that are economically stupid. A company hiring college grads wants someone who has a real education and can be productive for that company. A masters in gender study bead stringing can never be worth $100,000 in student loans.

Far too many who are admitted to colleges these days have to take remedial English, math and other courses just to be able to enroll in college level courses. Part of my job as supervisor of the transplant lab was to instruct med students who took independent studies in our lab. Amazing that many of them could not construct a proper sentence let along an entire paragraph on required papers for completing their class. Many of these "professional" students were admitted based upon special status.

Warning: they are out there practicing medicine on you... ;o)

17-May-19
Jack.

Do you know what they call the person who graduated last in their class at Med School?

"Doctor!"

17-May-19
same difference

17-May-19
It's convoluted, but I see the idea behind this. Lower class kid wont likely have a situation at hand where they can be as prepared as a higher class kid to take the SAT. That has nothing to do with their capacity to learn, just the readiness they have for the test. Thus lower class kid's likely have lower avg SAT scores than higher (I have no idea, just my interpretation of the concept) class kids. So they would not have the same opportunity to get into XYZ school. School, knowing this, offers help to get the kid up to speed and then they, hopefully, flourish, and we have a kid out of poverty and into the middle or above class.

That sounds good, but ultimately isnt really fair to anyone. As many noted above. If you get in knowing you are sort of a "project", how's that feel? Do you end up with the same opportunities? likewise, how's that impact student motivation. If you are a middle class kid who has a family that works really hard to ensure you are well prepped for school and you get a score 15 points lower than the adjusted score for the other kid - what's that do to your belief that you have a shot?

I get the intent of what folks are tying with this concept. But it doesnt really work, and the negative is big.

The better strategy would be to recognize the massive value of community colleges and state schools. Most of those places will accept folks who's high school academics were not stellar and have programs to help with the economics... and the cost is not crazy if the student sticks to locals vs flagship campus options. Work hard, learn to learn, become a good student... Now if you want to go to Havahd or Penn or whatever, you can try and make that jump for your Masters or PhD.

Unless some sort of amazing academic scholarship comes along thanks to my kids hard work, that's the route I would go as a middle/upper middle class person. They go to college, far far far cheaper and in many cases if they go CC to local college/university they never even need to take the SAT. Sweet!

Don't scale test scores like that. You are ready to take it and get a score or not. And if not, you just need to take a different route.

People need to get off the ubber "elite" keep up with the jones or ahead of them mentality... Ugh.

17-May-19
So, if I pay taxes, teach my kids to become straight A students, teach them the value of working hard to achieve what they want out of life, give them the tools for success, they should be put behind other applicants because, they didn't face enough adversity?

Isn't that our collective goal? To prepare our kids to become the very best they can be? Punishing success and rewarding failure runs counter to a Republic, and everything that made America great.

It's a competitive market out there. We need the best and brightest to lead us forward, and that concept is blind to both privilege and adversity.

Results matter.

18-May-19
It's real simple. 2+2=4. This doesn't matter if you are black, white, red, yellow brown, don't know, etc. or if you came from a mansion or public housing where, when the question, "Who's yo daddy?" get's asked you really don't know or "no sabe''. If you don't know the right answer then you damn sure better find a way to learn it. It's like breathing, you either do it or you die.

18-May-19
Why not just do away with actual merit, competence and learning, and instead of college everyone gets a participation trophy......

18-May-19
Will,

BS!!!

"Capacity to learn" has nothing to do with being prepared for getting into a school where you are not prepared to compete.

The failure rate for the kids who 'get a pass' to get into the top schools then can't cut it is horrendous.

Lives wasted and all because Liberals want to think good of themselves.

18-May-19
TD...."participation trophy" indeed! What they will find out all to soon is that when you actually grow up and become an adult who has to provide for them self and family, that "participation trophies" don't exist....unless you work for the government.

18-May-19
Not obvious at all tru......I DID in fact work for the government, the USDA specifically in the Soil Conservation Service when I got out of college.

But....I should have clarified it a bit, as I was referring mainly to more politically based/Washington type government jobs.

20-May-19
Further, adding to the topic at hand:

Paper: Professor Bias May Deflate Conservative College Students’ Grades

Conservative students saw the biggest grade dip when studying in the humanities and social sciences,and a grade boost when studying in hard-science fields. The bias was more pronounced at higher-ranked colleges.

Conservative students enter college with higher SAT scores and GPAs than liberal students, but by the fourth year of college have lower GPAs than liberal peers, which may be a consequence of institutional bias, finds a new working paper from the University of Arkansas...

(continued at link)

21-May-19

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
Hmmm!

21-May-19
Mouse, I once had an instructor lower my grade because I misspelled his name. It may be possible that it wasn't an accident misspelling because I already considered him to be a jerk.

21-May-19
So far at least, the ACT test has not succumbed to this foolishness.

21-May-19
But Kyle, the affluent, some, are able to secure more time to take the test. This is the WSJ. It is credible IMO.

Not surprised there will be silence on something that slaps the daily narrative here square in the face.

Henry, maybe he took your grade down because he knew you were intentionally showing disrespect? Good lesson then, we pay a price for our behavior even when we are convinced it is right. Another lesson about the world not being fair!

21-May-19
"But Kyle, the affluent, some, are able to secure more time to take the test."

Especially if you're a Hollywood star.

21-May-19
NVA. Exactly. That's what I was getting at. You are not helping anyone doing this. My point was that I get the mindset behind it. I can see the point, I dont think it works, but I understand the desire to help get kids in situations that likely seriously impair potential to have a shot has some valor...

But it would be a heck of a lot better if it involved fostering the belief in those kids and communities that their work could help them have opportunities and options. That they have a shot if they work hard. Telling them they get 25 extra points or what not doesn't help.

True or not, many people from poor communities and regions (of all make ups) simply believe that they dont have a shot, and their potential long term tends to follow suit. Conversely you grow up middle class or upper class and your family challenges you to do even better... Very different mindset and outcome.

Giving people with lower odds of success in a test spare points sets them up to fail further up the road... It doesnt help the be successful... unless there is a poo ton of help along the way. I'd rather just see amazing education systems from PK up helping prepare kids... And families, of all economic status levels, having at least a bit of a belief that they have a shot.

22-May-19

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

22-May-19
Hmm... I am first generation american, hungarian was my primary language until I got into elementary school. We were piss poor. I started off in a trade school. Then decided I wanted to go to college. I made the decision to transfer to a different high school and stay back a year so I could qualify for college. Went to college. Graduated. Got into commercial banking, then became self employed. I received no financial help, no academic preference, nothing. I went to whatever college would take me and I could afford. I am not super smart. Heck, forget super; I'm not even smart.

So what did I have that gave me a leg up? A mother and a father that kept me on track and threatened to kick my ass if I strayed from the plan. Yup, I had a family. Padding an SAT score does not even come close to what most kids need today. Pete

22-May-19
"So what did I have that gave me a leg up? A mother and a father that kept me on track and threatened to kick my ass if I strayed from the plan. "

BINGO!!! It really is that simple. I had those parents too, and they not only spoke of these things to keep me on track, they LIVED IT. They were my example, my "app"...in today's terms.

• Sitka Gear