Contributors to this thread:
orionsbrother 18-May-19
KSflatlander 18-May-19
elkmtngear 18-May-19
orionsbrother 18-May-19
TD 18-May-19
18-May-19

orionsbrother's Link
In September Folau tweeted: 'I love and respect all people for who they are and their opinions, but personally, I will not support gay marriage'.

And his contract has been terminated. He simply spoke to his religious beliefs without any attacks...

But that's unacceptable now. Ringing endorsements are required of everything PC... or else. And learn your lessons from the age of Stalin. Don't be the first one to stop clapping.

Australian Rugby has the right to determine what is a high level breach of contract. And they have the right to terminate their contract in accordance with their views. The NRL can decide to step back and let Folau go to Japan to play.

I just think it's stupid... and hypocritical. I don't think that there'd be any issue if he were a gay player making statements about religion. And as a guy who played rugby competitively, (Though nowhere near Izzy's level) I can't believe that in a sport where some bleeding, broken noses, fingers etc are par for the course, a few words of ideological/theological disagreement are considered "hurtful"?

And I'm confused. When I was playing, I don't recall the LGBTQ2 being a significant percentage of the target audience and fans in the stands.

18-May-19

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
Orion,

Isn't this is sign things may be changing?

18-May-19
They are a private company...they can do what they want. At least that was the conservative drum beat with the NFL and kneeling for the anthem. I distinctly remember Trump saying “Fire’em.” How is this different?

18-May-19

elkmtngear's Link
And, in other News: "Australia's conservative coalition scores stunning political victory in general election, defies polls forecasting loss" (see link)

Edit: Apparently, Frank beat me to the punch on this.

18-May-19
KS - "Australian Rugby has the right to determine what is a high level breach of contract. And they have the right to terminate their contract in accordance with their views. The NRL can decide to step back and let Folau go to Japan to play."

As you can see, I recognize that they have the right to make whatever determination, but... I still think it's hypocritical and stupid... as though they aren't aware of their customer base. Anyone remember Coke II?

18-May-19
No, you don't understand. Disagreement is hate speech and not allowed. Resistance is futile......

These people are clueless as to what disturbing moments of history their actions mostly resemble. Intentionally blind. Blinded by arrogance and elitism. Woke indeed...... they use the term to virtue signal they are..... better people.... meaning I guess, you'd better agree with them....

Did I read this right..... my understanding is this player was not publicly protesting on his employers time at a game or anything where said employer gives him a world stage to do what he is paid. My understanding is this was said as a private citizen on his own time? Yet must be punished, no matter that he broke no laws and acted as a private citizen. Non conformance with those who know what's best for you cannot be allowed.

Do you actually understand the difference? Or just don't WANT to understand the difference.....

• Sitka Gear