HA/KS 22-May-19
Owl 22-May-19
KSflatlander 22-May-19
elkmtngear 22-May-19
Boris 22-May-19
Tonybear61 22-May-19
Woods Walker 23-May-19
21-May-19
Do you think the liberal media will report this study?

https://townhall.com/columnists/joyoverbeck/2019/05/21/now-theres-irrefutable-proof-arming-school-staff-keeps-kids-safe-n2546629

21-May-19
I think even the liberals want drastic measures to keep our kids safe in school. It’s high time to arm teachers,,, coaches,, janitors....... social workers........ OK,,, Maybe not social workers....... arm school employees now !! I have a daughter in 7th grade. Do it now !!!

21-May-19
If school personnel are armed and a school is attacked, there will sooner or later be unintended casualties. However, arming responsible adults in school buildings is the surest and fastest way to put an end to the nonsense of attacking schools.

21-May-19
We have armed guards for courts, Federal buildings, hospitals, etc. Why not for OUR KIDS too??? Are they not worth it?

21-May-19
Armed guards at concerts and other venues where kids congregate, so why not schools?

22-May-19
If Dawn Hochsprung or Mary Sherlach were armed, Sandy Hook could have been averted. I wonder, in hindsight, if they would have felt "comfortable" knowing they could prolong the Earthly lives of 26 innocents in their school.

Frankly, if it was common knowledge staff were armed, the shooter very likely would have never attacked.

22-May-19
Exactly! They're crazy.....not stupid.

22-May-19
Politicians don’t want to stop the shootings as it stays in the headlines. Arm school personnel, thwart would be attackers would become the new headlines and that goes against all they have been spewing. Sadly, they look at our children as pawns to advance an agenda.

22-May-19
Yep. As well as blacks, latinos, the sexually confused and most disgustingly, slaughtered infants....or by their terminology an "unviable tissue mass" or a "choice".

22-May-19
Even social security offices have a guy with a Glock. One threw me out of the office because he could see the clip of a knife on my pocket.

22-May-19
But of course! Government workers are FAR more important than our children. Didn't you get the memo?

22-May-19
If my teacher would've had a gun I probably wouldn't be here today. LOL!

How about arming "some" teachers...the ones that know what the hell they're doing, followed closely by the ones that can be trusted not to pistol whip unruly students. Lefties need not apply, just shelter in place as you like to say!

22-May-19
Just don't arm the ones on Paxil ;^)

22-May-19
Some of the teachers I know you would not want armed...Others, yes...I think the idea of hiring retired military and police as guards would be best (or any law abiding citizen) assuming they are capable. Just the presence of an armed guard or two would probably be enough for most of these cowards to not even make the attempt...I just don't think a teacher is necessarily the best approach. Most have enough on their plate without adding this to it...and Yes, I do know about the police officer in Florida who froze in place, but that is hopefully the exception and not the rule...

22-May-19
How about doing some design and engineering of the schools themselves to try to prevent the shooting? Protective entrances, metal detectors, bulletproof glass, auto locking doors with aural gunshot detection systems and compartmentalized design features, etc.? I know they are working on systems like these to help prevent school shootings and/or minimize casualties. It’s expensive and would take some time to implement but I think is where the focus will be going forward.

22-May-19
Flatlander do you have any idea how many come and go from a typical school building every day?

Prisons have most of what you propose and still have weapons and drugs in them.

22-May-19
HA/KS- you are so right. Completely dumb idea. It is impossible to protect students with design and engineering. I mean the number of people that go through a central KS school is infinitely more people than say an international airport on a daily basis.

I forgot the only answer to gun violence is more guns. What was I thinking?

22-May-19
Our school (k-12) is comprised of 8 buildings with a city street running through the middle of campus. 11 buildings if you count the superintendent's office and the bus barn. We have locked doors with remote entry on most of the buildings now. The building I'm in was built in 1936 and has 2 floors (built on a hill so both levels open on to ground level on one side of the floor) but we have gotten the remote entry installed. Unless you know the code, you have to buzz in, and hope myself or one other teacher are in our rooms to let you in. ;) the other 4 entrances into the building stay locked but you can get in with a key.

In the course of a day. a high school student could potentially have to enter 9 buildings for classes and lunch plus another if they need to go see the nurse. Lockdowns are a nightmare, metal detectors would be so impractical as to be prohibitive. We do have an armed resource officer who is also head of maintenance and technology. Armed teachers are really our best bet.

Oh, and yesterday the public voted down a millage to build a new nigh school that would have eliminated the need for 6 of those buildings. That means we just lost 2.5 million dollars in state funding for that project.

22-May-19

elkmtngear's Link
See link for Fort Lauderdale Airport shooting. Thank goodness for all that tech!!!

Agree with the non-Bowlibs...armed, trained staff is the CHEAPEST AND MOST EFFECTIVE way to stop a School Shooter!

22-May-19
The way to stop a bad with a gun is a good guy with a GUN....not architecture, not more new gun laws restricting the rights of law abiding gun owners, not a "national conversation" about gun violence, not banning bump stocks, not knives nor baseball bats. A GOOD GUY WITH A GUN!

In fact, when it is common knowledge that the good guys are armed, that is usually deterrent enough. Wjth a little common sense and a lot less liberal stupidity, school shootings can be stopped before they start.

Not difficult to understand.

22-May-19
Personally I'd want an ar-15 for my class room....no sense risking being outgunned. a handgun of any caliber is a back weapon to my way of thinking.

22-May-19
"It is impossible to protect students with design and engineering."

Yes it is.

However both can be used as part of a strategy. The problem is that the cost is prohibitive. Every person entering the airport to take a flight paid several hundred dollars for that privilege. Average cost per day per student is about $60.

Out of that must come pay for all school personnel (about 80% of the cost), facilities, equipment, educational materials, etc.

As stated above, students come and go many times per day and at specified times. What would happen at the airport if everybody had to be checked at one time period of about 30 minutes at the beginning of the day?

22-May-19
"Politicians don’t want to stop the shootings as it stays in the headlines. Arm school personnel, thwart would be attackers would become the new headlines and that goes against all they have been spewing. Sadly, they look at our children as pawns to advance an agenda."

-Mike, that is spot-on. They cannot afford to solve the gun control debate with more gun freedom. They just will not abide it.

22-May-19

KSflatlander's Link
It’s NOT impossible to add protection to schools with engineering controls. Yes it takes time, money, and cultural changes. But it is not impossible.

“The problem is that the cost is prohibitive.”

Exactly how much would you pay to protect your kid? How much is it worth to the community? Smarter and safer school design is a part of the long term solution. It already is.

22-May-19
The home shotgun class I participated in Sunday was excellent. Knew it would be from previous experience with the instructor.

I asked if he would put on a class for those of us armed on campus, and how to deal with an active shooter situation. Absolutely!

I will post it on our listserve tomorrow and see if I get any responses. I may have to update from my home computer if I get fired, or tar and feathered, lol.

No doubt engineering could help, but for this taxpayer the cost would be prohibitive. Arm folks who have demonstrated competence in classes paid for by the district. Let the others know their potential civil liability for using a firearm and not being properly trained.

Encourage parents to home school-best engineering design out there!

22-May-19
"It’s NOT impossible to add protection to schools with engineering controls".

Most effective deterrent, and ending to Skyjackings...was it expensive airport upgrades, or putting armed Marshalls on the planes?

Solve the problem BEFORE it starts, and it won't contribute to the bankruptcy of the Nation! No more "Soft Targets"!

22-May-19
As I sit here an read all the posts, I think of what my wife said about this subject. My wife is retiring after 36 years in the class room. The problem is this. You have a student that is hell bent on killing people. If it a student or students that are doing the shooting and a teacher comes out an confronts the student. That teacher knows the student. They know what the is troubling the shooter. That teacher is now dead. Why because they waited that split second longer. I know that most of you will say shoot. I think that outside resources is the right way to go. They have to a degree no relationship or closeness to the students. Just my thought.

22-May-19
With the knowledge I pick up from client locations, risk assessments and various seminars with peers could likely defeat a security system bring a gun in, plant a bomb ,cause harm. What's stopping me?? Morals and upbringing as I understand the sanctity of life, don't plan on harming anyone except in cases of self-defense. Must have something to do with my mental stability and the inanimate objects not having a mind of their own to cause harm... Good guy with gun yeah, but a good guy with morals, valuing life can even be better.

23-May-19
Since the 1958 Our Lady Of Angels School fire in Chicago, where tragically lives were lost, they started building and making sure that schools were constructed and equipped in a way that made fires rare to non-existent. But yet we still have fire extinguishers in them, which makes perfect sense. Why not do the same for violent attacks?? Make the schools as secure as possible, but always have an "extinguisher" on hand "just in case".

• Sitka Gear