Coyote 65 23-May-19
NvaGvUp 23-May-19
spike78 23-May-19
Whitey 24-May-19
HA/KS 25-May-19
Will 25-May-19
23-May-19

spike78's Link
Millennials not saving for retirement because of yup climate change!

23-May-19

peterk1234's Link
I saw this. Our world is so done. Hey, a week earlier I read an article that all this climate change information is causing depression and anxiety among the same generation of losers. I attached the article for your enjoyment.

Oh, and Spike, no you have not heard it all. Everyday it gets crazier and crazier. All you have to do is wait a few hours. Pete

23-May-19
Awesome...they can blame Alexandria "Occasional Cortex" in 50 years, when they're digging through trash cans for their dinner!

23-May-19
My son-in-law was taking the same approach toward retirement until last year, but it had nothing to do with ClimateCrap.

He was born with a bad heart so didn't think he'd live long enough to retire. Then last year his doctor told him he was dead wrong and with all of the advances in medicine since he was born ~ 36 years ago, he would likely live to retirement age.

Fortunately he's still young enough so if he does start setting aside money, he'll be just fine.

23-May-19
Guys,

I remember right out of college, the youngest generation was not saving as much as the Greatest Generation. One theory was that the younger generation grew up under the threat of nuclear war, remember the clock, and we thought we would all be dead.

23-May-19
It has nothing to do with climate change and everything to do with "me" at the center of the universe.

23-May-19
You can bet your bottom dollar that when these young fools reach age 65-70 and don't have a nest egg built for retirement, the first thing they'll do is demand the kids who did save give them some of their retirement money.

After all, that would only be "fair."

23-May-19
Ugh. There in lay's the trouble with Millennial's. Everything is "hard"... even when it's not (some times you lose and don't get a trophy, or the job, or the college of your choice, etc... oh, and people that are successful worked their tails off). I've worked with some who were serious go getters... but the "stereotype" developed for a reason.

If you believe in climate change, do stuff. Don't sit there and get depressed or do something stupid like not saving for the future. Heck, I think we have influenced climate and could do better with out stewardship of the environment overall, and I still think this (article) is a very poor approach to life!

That all said, no thread about that age group should be posted without this:

23-May-19
Pat,

Without question.

They already do that for your Medicare premiums. The more you make, the higher your premiums.

That pizzes me off for two reasons in particular:

1. If it's 'insurance,' your income should have nothing to do with it.

2. I never see a doctor for anything other than for an annual physical. I'm fit and healthy beyond description, take no meds at all and never have, yet Medicare could care less.

They charge me the same as they charge someone of the same age and with the same income and who's 100 pounds overweight, smokes two packs a day, never exercises and takes all sorts of prescription drugs.

23-May-19
Will,

ROTFLMAO!!!!

23-May-19
Good article Pete. Yeah I would have to say the very last thing I’m stressed about is climate change. It is terrifying to know the temperature is going to go up 3 degrees in 12 years lol.

23-May-19
Over the past ten days here, the highest temp we've seen on our weatherunderground personal station has been 52.

23-May-19
Could really use some of that global warming, over the last week have had about 4 inches of snow and am running the pellet stove 24/7. And this is AZ.

Terry

23-May-19
I went out with my pup early this morning, but quickly gave it up because a light rain started.

I don't mind the rain, but the puppy is a Golden Retriever with long hair. So if she gets soaked, it's a total pain to dry her.

Then about 10:30, I gave it another try.

The plan was to do 4.2 miles and we were only 1/3 of mile from being home when a downpour hit.

I got under the nearest bushy tree I could find to wait it out. After :15 or so, the rain and small hail ended and we got home somewhat dryer than would have been the case otherwise.

23-May-19

Habitat for Wildlife's Link

23-May-19
I’ve never worn jeans this time of year until this year it’s still nippy out.

24-May-19
I went to college '77-81 for undergrad. I was not aware of courses at that time that taught wealth building. They are popular today! Credit Dave Ramsey some?

For 28 years plus in every class, when timing is right because I see their interest waning on the subject at hand, I ask the students to raise their hands if they are going to college because they want to be rich someday. It takes a few seconds, but once a few brave souls admit why they are there, the rest, most of, follow. I then tell them they do not need to go to college, and I share the secret. Wealth creation is simply discipline.

Kevin's example is excellent. We have a Starbucks very close to the campus. Some of those drinks are more expensive than $5!

I walk them through taking $5 a day, 5 days a week, a Future Value of an Annuity placing that money once a month in an S&P fund (much less aggressive than Kevin's growth fund but trying to emulate the average risk adversity.) And I also use a real rate of return (I assume Kevin used a nominal) so they can think about how much purchasing power in today's money they will end up with. But is well over a million. I then run the same calculation using a 40 year calculation (for those that fail to take my advice immediately and wait until they are 30 to start saving) and they are shocked that it is half as much. They realize, time, the exponential function, is the driver.

I believe all of my business colleagues do the same. After this talk, I rarely see kids in class with Starbucks. Maybe they are faking me, but many show up with QT coffee.

I can't share the stories like Henry does, but after 28 plus years, I have had a few reach back out to me to say thanks, they have their first million. Some have said I should have taken more risk in my life, alas, I become the student. No higher compliment for a teacher.

Go back to my first comment about not learning this in college. We did not have software like Quicken, or hand calculators with FV/PV functions. I wrote my own, and even an amorotized loan schedule using a TI-16 or Commodore 64 saving them to a 5.25" floppy. Gave scores of these spreadsheets away.

Maybe I am too optimistic, but I think young people today have some big pluses we did not.

24-May-19
“About 40 percent of adults said that if faced with a $400 unexpected expense, they would either not be able to pay it or would do so by selling something or borrowing money, according to the Federal Reserve’s Report on the Economic Well-Being of U.S. Households”

A country of wage slaves

25-May-19

Habitat for Wildlife's Link
Here is someone who may know more than most here regarding millennials.

25-May-19
"There in lay's the trouble with Millennial's. Everything is "hard"... even when it's not"

We rent our basement to a couple of fantastic young ladies. They are extremely conscientious, great students, and have been raised right. They take great care of the apartment, keep it clean as it was when they moved in and always pay the full rent before it is due.

YET, one of them has a job this summer. She worked 4 hour days during the school year but is now working 8 hour days. She is finding an 8 hour day to be almost more than she can do.

She mentioned being tired after 8 hours and I chided her a little about that reminding her that she is still young and 8 hours should be a piece of cake. She listened, laughed a little, and agreed with me. She is planning to work in the medical field and that is where her current job is.

25-May-19
What is she doing in the medical field? Most I know in that realm, from nurses to brain surgeons find 10 to 12 hrs days pretty normal, not including time to finish notes...

She is going to need to acclimate...

• Sitka Gear