Community
Contributors to this thread:
HA/KS 24-May-19
HA/KS 24-May-19
keepemsharp 24-May-19
24-May-19
Well, sort of.

From the Hays Post today:

A potentially tragic moment was averted at about noon Friday when a Fort Hays State University student helped a toddler find her way home.

Holly Sieving said she was traveling on 13th Street at the intersection of Allen when she saw a “not-even-3-year-old” accompanied only by a dog and running into the street.

The toddler was running in and out of the street oblivious to oncoming traffic at the busy intersection, she said.

“Holly Sieving put herself in harm’s way to save an infant life,” said Josh Martinez, her co-worker at KVC Wheatland. “(The) infant was walking down 13th about to walk into a heavily trafficked road.”

Sieving parked her car crossways in the street to block traffic, called the police and she and Martinez went to rescue the child.

A truck also stopped and two men joined in the effort.

“I just started running after the girl … and she kept running,” she said. “The dog kept trying to bite me. “The gentlemen were trying to keep the dog off me.”

About seven minutes later, Sieving said she was able to coax the girl close enough to pick her up, while the two men followed the dog in hopes of it leading to the child’s home.

Around the same time, police arrived as well as a “panicked” father.

The girl was then safely returned to her father.

“I had no clue who the gentlemen were,” she said. “I shook their hands and asked their names.”

“Jerry Moran,” one said.

It took a moment to register, she laughed.

“Who are you again?” she said.

“United States Senator Jerry Moran,” she said he replied.

“We just kind of debriefed. It was a really traumatic thing to go through for anyone,” she said, admitting she was a little “starstruck.”

“All four of us .. helping someone who was more vulnerable than us … that child just needed help,” she said.

Sieving is a native of Silver Springs, Nev., who has lived in Hays for about five years.

“Together, Ms. Sieving and U.S. Sen. Moran, located the baby’s dwelling as well as notified authorities,” Martinez said. “This just goes to show that you can be a politician as well as a good human being.”

Hays Police Chief Don Scheibler later confirmed the 2-year-old has safely returned to her family at their residence on the 1400 block of Milner and the department’s investigation has concluded.

24-May-19

HA/KS's Link
Forgot the link

24-May-19
Hooray for a real Kansas native.

• Sitka Gear