Zbone 01-Jul-21
t-roy 01-Jul-21
kentuckbowhnter 01-Jul-21
spike78 01-Jul-21
Screwball 01-Jul-21
trophyhill 01-Jul-21
RK 01-Jul-21
21-Oct-05
Since this is a national site, I had this idea, on wondering what ever happen to people that I learned alot from when starting out to bowhunt. So I am going to see if there is any intrest, and start out with this one; What Ever Happen to Bob Fratzke.....You can add your own thought it would be fun.............

21-Oct-05
What ever happened to MYLES KELLER?. I still see his pic in some Scent Blocker Ads but never here anything about him. Another is Gene(?) Bidlespacher from the Wenzel Bros fame. Or What about the Infamous Noel Feather ??...Jeff

21-Oct-05
Yea, Myles Keller? And whatever DID happen to Randolph Scott?

21-Oct-05
Fratzke is still around in his home area S.E.Minnesota.We dont hear much about him anymore.

21-Oct-05
ironhunter Fratzke wrote a good book once, I have it in my collection, really like his wool type camo, wish you could still get it, do you know him?

21-Oct-05
Noel Feather, yes, what has happened to him. How about Rompola?

21-Oct-05
Who was the poacher busted hunting in a national park (Elk) and trying to pull one over on Browning as a staff shooter for them.There was a report on him on ABC or NBC some time ago ?..Jeff

21-Oct-05
JTV, That would be Don Lewis. Ovis

21-Oct-05
Thanks Ovis..ok what ever happened to him and the others...Jeff

21-Oct-05
I still think Myles is one of the best WT hunters period. He was in that time period with the Wensels, Rothaar, and few others. Old school if you will.

I wish he would write a book.

21-Oct-05
I'd say the Wensel's are still in their time period of bringing home big bucks year in and year out. Last year Gene got his buck of a lifetime, Woody.

One person I wonder about is Alan Altizer. Haven't seen much from him in several years.

21-Oct-05
whatever happened to that "man on the move" from alberta, what was it.............

zack, zec, craft, zat, zaft...........yeah that was it, zaft, wayne zaft, a self pronounced "man on the move"

does anyone know where he moved to?

21-Oct-05
Whatever happened to Bob Mcguire? He was one of the first writers to study and write about whitetail scrapes and their significance, along with Roger Rothaar, of cource. Bob wrote a great book about bear hunting also.

21-Oct-05
Zaft is just down the road from oblivion. The place is called nowheresville.

21-Oct-05
Roger Rothaar retired and moved to Iowa and according to his son Ron is killig bucks that "the archery world would be in awe of". I don't doubt it a bit. I still think he is the greatest whitetail hunter of all time.

21-Oct-05
Gene Biddlespacher is a cameraman for either Bowhunter Magazine TV or North American Whitetail TV. I saw him in an article in one of their recent issues.

21-Oct-05
Is Jim Dougherty still around? Some of these guys are getting up there. I've heard old bowhunters never die, they just get lost in the woods.

22-Oct-05
Whatever happened to Kolpin 69 buck lure? That stuff worked great..only scent I ever had any luck with.

22-Oct-05
what happened to ole fred Bear!! i know he passed on but why never any shows on him anymore, Icons are great shows us where are heritage came from...

22-Oct-05
How about Dick Idol? I know he's doing a TV show and has a clothing line.

There was a guy nameed Danner (I think ) who was busted years back, supposidly a big mule deer hunter. Heard storys from some old cowboys while on a hunt about him.

There were some others, word gets around if your into the wrong stuff.

22-Oct-05
Just visited with Myles K. a couple weeks ago... lives just up the road from me a ways. He's still doin' it, just doesn't care for the writing business. S

22-Oct-05
Ranger. That would be Kurt Darner. Much controversy there, fer sure.

22-Oct-05
What ever happened to a guy named(I think)Tom or Bob Flemming? I first started horn rattling in the early 80's after reading one of his articals. Another guy Alan Altizer. Made some pretty good down to earth hunting videos in the 80's and 90's.

23-Oct-05
Alan Altizer, he made some of the best hunting videos that I have ever seen. They weren't all high tech, high definition and all. They were just camera over the shoulder, on the ground, bare foot stalking through the icy mud puddle, hunting videos.

I liked how after you got to watch him do the stalk and make the shot, you got to listen to him describe how he did it,,, all the while,, he's trying to warm up his frostbitten toes.

Those were good videos, and he was a great bowhunter. No heated box blinds, no, I pulled him in with my Knight and Hale/H.S./MAD this and got close using scent lock/blocker/shield commercialization B.S.

Anybody know where he's at?? I'd like to buy some more of his videos. LOL Jay

24-Oct-05
I did a search for Alan Altizer and found a website that has a bunch of his videos for $4.99 each (No affiliation on my part).

www.hornhunters.com/black_timber.htm

24-Oct-05
Myles Keller I saw doing a commercial for Wildlife Research. I met him once at a seminar, I could not believe the time he took to talk to us. He wrote a short book once, a more of a notebook type 13 pages, called Kellers Kode, I got some great tips from that. In my cabin this week at night at the oil lamp, before I pass out, I am going to reread Bowhunting Rutting Whitetails by Wenzel. That stuff in the 80's was the best...Ditto on Alitzer he had some great stuff, maybe he is on this thread

24-Oct-05
I wish Stan Potts would get lost.... he's hard to look at. You wanna tell the camera man... Hey, can you back up a litle when filming him PLEASE!

25-Oct-05
LOL!!!! I agree with Bowme2. He kills me just to watch him, but he does kill some nice deer though.

25-Oct-05
Who was the guy with the Wensels in Bowhunting October Whitetails? This was one of the first real bowhunting videos I watched when I was a kid and started getting into bowhunting. They did a segment about hunting in standing corn by stalking accross the rows and looking down each row. IMO that was one of the best videos in it's time. NO ads for bows, clothing, or products. Just bowhunting with, this is how we have had some success.

25-Oct-05
I think that fellow's name Rick Blase in the October Whitetails video. In my opinion, that video still stands as one of the best of that time and today. Yes, what did become of Rick Blase?

25-Oct-05
I asked the Wensels about Rick Blase recently. Barry was sorry to say he had lost touch with him. According to Barry, Ricks marriage failed, he moved to the SE and took up a new passion for big game fishing.

You can still get his video 'Bowhunting October whitetails', a real classic.

I'm sure you know of their DVD 'Primal Dreams'? You aren't going to belive this one. Its awsome.

25-Oct-05
"Old" videos? I didn't know there was such a thing. "Watched these videos as a kid." Wow, guess I really am getting old. Seems like yesterday when the machines first came out. The first ones cost a fortune. Then I had to throw it away, nobody did Betamax any more. (Finally threw away my 8 track player at the same time.) Had to get a VHS. Guess I have to go out and get a DVD player now.

Wait, the computer I'm typing at plays them! Alright! I might finally be in the right decade!

25-Oct-05
Ginger and Amber Lynn? Anyone?

25-Oct-05
Whatever happened to Stormrider?

27-Oct-05
I can fill in some of the blanks. Gene Bidlespacher was a videographer for Buckmasters for years. He now does the same for North American Whitetail television. I just got an email and photos from Rick Blase. He and his son both had a very successful bowhunt for caribou in Canada. He still hunts although not as much. He is very tied up with his business, loves to fly his own plane and has since remarried. I have received several emails from Alan Altizer. When Sept 11th happened, Alan and his brother went where they were most needed. His brother was in Special Forces and Alan was a security consultant and body guard for some very important people. Both of them went overseas. Alan is back now. He earned a lot of vacation time then turned around and used it to command a relief team of security personnel after Katrina hit the south. Quite a guy. He essentially hung up his bow because he was needed by his country. He shared with me the fact he sorely misses bowhunting and the freedom it brings us. Its one of his life's real passions. He got three days off two weeks ago and grabbed his bow for the first time in a very long time. He killed two coyotes, three squirrels and two buck whitetails in three days with his longbow and cedar arrows. I'd say in a lot of ways, "the kid is back."

27-Oct-05
Didn't Noel Feather get busted for switching some tags around? I heard he did a little time for it. I use to love it when him and Dan Fitzgerald would team up. Anybody remember "Bitter Cold Bucks"?

27-Oct-05
I thought there was some story about Noel Feather shooting somebody's pet deer or something like that. I think it is related to the tagging issue but not sure how. I should add that I have seen no material to substantiate either rumor.

27-Oct-05
"Bitter Cold Bucks", I remember a shot that was taken and on the hit a puff of steam came out of the Buck from the entry of the arrow/broadhead..AHHHHH the memories...Jeff

27-Oct-05
Thanks for the update on Altizer. His videos always gave you the impression he was a class act. It's now obvious he is.

28-Oct-05
Noel Feather purchased a big Whitetail buck at a canned hunt ranch in Cook Station Mo., killed it behind a fence, on video, hauled it to Illinois, taged it, and lied on the video and said he killed it while hunting along the Mississippi river bluffs , apparently a Game Warden from Il. saw the video and knew from the look of the hardwoods he was lying about the location, I dont know if the I.D.N.R. had been suspicious of him already or what, but they followed up with an investigation and as a result it pretty much put an end to his status as a hero hunter.

28-Oct-05
Hammerhd, don't forget Porsche Lynn.

28-Oct-05
TD,

Jim Dougherty lives in Tulsa, OK. Still does a lot of hunting and fishing. He writes an article for Peterson' Bowhunting and for other magazines He scored a buck of me this last year. He's a great guy.

28-Oct-05
I expected much better questions and answers from this thread.Now lets get to the meat of things here.

What aver happened to Fawn Hall?

What aver happened to Jessica Hahn?

What aver happened to Monica Lewinski?

What aver happened to Debra Murphree?

30-Oct-05
Ginger Lynn was my fav ................ I've got a copy of bitter cold bucks by that feather guy......... can't stan that potts fella either.............. must get primal dreams........ sweet dreams, dg

30-Oct-05
Zbone, Yes Dick Idol is into a clothing line which I have to say is nice stuff from what I have seen. He is also into art and I have seen a show of his that was on a few months ago. As far as the hunting, I really don't know what he's doing with that.

30-Oct-05
Dick Idol recently bought a nice little piece of ground on the Stillwater River between Kalispell and Whitefish, MT. 160 acres, I think, with some nice whitetails on it. He hunts with his sons in Canada and Alaska. One son took a dandy AK moose a few years back. I think the art is mostly over. Now it's whatever generates the most money -- real estate, home decor, clothing... His wife is in bad shape. Very unfortunate -- very nice lady.

31-Oct-05

Supreme Hunter's embedded Photo
Supreme Hunter's embedded Photo
Wenzel takes his clietns to Africa ( Dries Visser ) every August. I wonder why?

He knows value and that Afirca has 40 Antelope ALL better than Wh Deer to hunt. After 4 bow trips to Africa Wh Deer have Dropped to 48 on my Top 55 animals to hunt with a bow. Will send you my Top 55 list if Interested. Yet they are written about to death in 'US Outdoor Magazines, just like FW Bass. I live near Mosquito Lagoon in FL, on a 1500 acre FW Lake. Sal****er fish and Fishing is 10 X better than FW Bass. I understand that most outdoorsmen can fish for bass and hunt for deer, and they occur in Most states and are good Game Animals, but compared to an elk or Kudu.... I do not even put the mounts in the same room , no comparison . Now after a Cape Buff, I call deer "backyard bambis." This is not heresy, just the experiences of one that has bowhunted since 1956. Many experienced bowhunters "lose it" when a bull elk or kudu come in for the first time. I have 4 Book Kudu, and have had two Camereman that are also PHS in Africa get the "shakes" while filming the shot on 2 of the 4 kudu. Then there is Sable.

Plus one pays for criples in Africa. That is pressure, not the 40th shot in 3D!

Can I count the "air space" ( Inside Spread Tip to Tip) on this Kudu as part of the Score like they do on Wh Deer?

This is only a 53 inchcer that is 515 pound s Record is over 60 inches on Kudu, and inteligence is superb, with ear tips up to 32 inches wide.One Kudu from Zimbabwe was 610 pounds.

Wh tail are great and very worthy, but fellows really, there are other game out there one should try. Save your Frequent Flyer milieage for airfars Spend $6000 for Africa & take 6 animals. Would rather have a 23 inch impala than a 150 Wh deer. A P and Y elk is much harder to take fair Chase compared to all North Am game. Moving to SW Colorado in 2006.

Supreme Hunter

31-Oct-05
Did anyone ask:

"Where is Supreme hunter"?

Hey! You guys in Colo. will be lucky enough to listen to him 1st hand next year!!

Speaking of off topic..........How funny is it that the foul language filters on this site block portions of a benign word. Someone was mentioning above how Rick Blase fishes offshore now in s-a-l-t water. As one word; sal****er. LOL.

I am so juvenile. I, too remember when I bought GW's book when it first came out. Things like this STILL crack me up!

-Steve

31-Oct-05
Stan Potts has my vote as most annoying hunter on video. Can someone please hand him some valium. How about good ole boy Eddie (Ahoooooooooeh) Salter. It seems he always has an empty quiver when he shoots.

31-Oct-05
"After 4 bow trips to Africa Wh Deer have Dropped to 48 on my Top 55 animals to hunt with a bow. Will send you my Top 55 list if Interested."

ahhh, I'm gonna have to say no thanks.

31-Oct-05
He will fit right in down in SW Colorado.

31-Oct-05
Idol's clothing line from what I have seen is basically dress. I've bough 2 Montana camp jackets that are lined that are very nice. He has other clothing as well. I don't know how extensive his clothing line is but I haven't seen any camo.

31-Oct-05
I thought Dick Idol was a sculptor? I believe he did some work for Cabelas, namely the huge bronze statues in front of some of their stores. Nice stuff. I saw he had a TV show, a furniture line and a clothing line, all expensive stuff, but very attractive. I think I looked at the tags and noticed it was made overseas. Back in the 'good ol'days' I was recieving phone calls from Dick over a very nice whitetail I have. At that time he was working on assembling a collection of unusual whitetails. He had quite the collection at that time.

I hope he and his family is doing well, he's a great guy from what I know of him.

01-Nov-05
Heres one, What ever happened to Larry Bamford? I really liked reading his articles in Bowhunter back in the day)---)

02-Nov-05
I believe Larry Bamford passed away a few years ago. I too am old enough to remember his stories in bowhunter magazine when he was their hunting editor.

02-Nov-05
I have a copy of bitter cold bucks and still enjoy watching the steam blow out of the arrow hole at 20 below. Stan Potts is a dink . I have a copy of howard hill hunting that is great.

03-Nov-05
Jeeeeze, I cant believe you guys are bashin on Stan. I love watchin that guy.

What beats doin your best Potts impression after a few cold ones around the campfire?

ITS NOVEMBER THE 9TH!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT ALL OF YOU TO FEEL THIS!!!!!!!

YA GOTTA GIVE ME A MINUTE.

LOL, I love that guy.

01-Jul-21
Was reading another thread here and somebody mention the "late" Bob Mcguire, so hadn't heard he had passed, so like anybody I googled the name and being kind of a common name added "deer hunter" at the end and low and behold, this thread was the first search item to pull up.... About 16 years ago, guess this would be a blast from the past...8^)

Still haven't learned what happened to ole Bob... I can't remember, but he was kinda hung up on a thing, it might have been about grunting, don't remember... One thing i do remember he did bring to light that I kind of believe is some mature buck run what he called a "junket" I think is what he called it if I remember right, kind of a circular migration pattern that made sense to me why a certain big whitetail buck would be seen, then disappear, then show up again weeks or months later...

01-Jul-21
Whatever happened to Jeffrey Epstein?…Last I heard, he was filming for Cris Brackett.

01-Jul-21
Hillary had him murdered.

01-Jul-21
Booyah!!!

01-Jul-21
None of us are perfect. Noel Feather passed away a while ago after his passing. Had a thread on here and some really bashed him. Enough said. He hooked me on grunt calling and still have his call. Myles Keller had the unfortunate drunk driving case, hitting a 5 year old and killing him. Great deer hunter and would take time to talk to a young kid and hooked him on deer hunting.

01-Jul-21
I’d like to know what ever happened to Bob Muley from bowsite. When I first started bowhunting in 2008, I hunted mule deer and elk (now I’ll hunt anything with my bow) ole Bob was a mentor to me and 1 reason I found success so quickly with my bow. I was hoping to run into him a couple years ago when I was working in a Grand Junction to no avail. Bob if you’re out there, I’d just say thank you so much!

01-Jul-21
So many posters to this original thread are no longer on the bowsite.

• Sitka Gear