Nick Muche 20-May-19
Nick Muche 20-May-19
Nick Muche 20-May-19
Gerald Martin 21-May-19
IdyllwildArcher 21-May-19
BullSac 21-May-19
14-Nov-09

nijimasu's Link
I saw these on the linked thread and had to try them- Z made them them sound just a little too awesome, and I had to try them.

He was understating how delicious they are.

However, I think you're going to lose any "low fat" benefit the venison may have started out with. They do take a little more prep than a simple marinade- but they're definitely worth the effort if you have the time!

To find the recipe, scroll up a bit from where the link takes you until you find Z Barebow's post.

venison rolls

veni rolls and d

15-Nov-09
nijimasu- I got a pack of elk loin thawing in the fridge and all the other ingredients, just waiting for to make that for dinner tomorrow evening. Looks great!

15-Nov-09
Gonna try this one - makes your mouth water just reading the ingredients and instructions!

15-Nov-09
Gonna try this one - makes your mouth water just reading the ingredients and instructions!

15-Nov-09
Great pic, that looks like one happy customer right there!

I've made those a few times and they are by far my favorite wild game recipe. Although, how can you go wrong with anything wrapped in bacon? I make them every chance I get when we have company over and it has yet to disappoint. I've had quite a few non-hunters ask for the recipe and if they can make it with beef, still taste great.

16-Nov-09
Thanks guys. I am good at not re-inventing the wheel. I got this recipe from another site, but it is so good it shouldn't be kept secret.

I use Lite (Not Fat Free) cream cheese to lighten the calorie load a little.

They are great as leftovers also. I vacuum seal some and nuke 'em when I get a craving. But tough to beat the smell when they 1st come off of the grill.

17-Nov-09

Gerald Martin's embedded Photo
Z- here's my take on the recipe you posted. I made them for dinner tonight. pics to follow

first the ingredients

17-Nov-09

assembling the rolls

17-Nov-09

ready to grill

17-Nov-09

the whole platter ready to grill

17-Nov-09

when do we eat Dad?

17-Nov-09

Dinner's on the table

17-Nov-09

My plate. Venison roll, red cabbage coleslaw, seasoned rice, green beans. Delicious! Disclaimer- this is definitely not a low fat meal! That still looks pretty good to me. I think I'm going to have to go eat a piece of pumpkin pie for dessert.

17-Nov-09
Gerald-

looks like you have some fellow carnivores in your house, too. Nice to know you'll have some built-in help packing critters out tof the woods in a few years, ain't it!

Looks like good times, good food, and good kids- congrats!

17-Nov-09
Is that THE recipe for the meat in the picture?

The one in the receipe didn't have bacon, or cheese.

17-Nov-09
Jersey, the recipe ingredients that I saw on the other thread had both bacon and pepperjack cheese as well as cream cheese. Wonder if you saw a different recipe?

By the way, it looks and sounds delicious!

18-Nov-09
Jersy Bob- heres the recipe that Z Barebow posted. I tweaked it just a bit.

(From Z Barebow) "You can stop posting as I have the best recipe. (I found it on another site, in the interest of full disclosure). I have made it and it is numero uno. It takes about an hour of prep, but it is worth it. (Some 12 oz'ers can help you through the preparation.)

Deer backstrap.

Bacon- thin sliced and cheap

toothpicks

cream cheese

teriyaki –not soy sauce- marinade

garlic powder (not garlic salt!)

pepper

pepper-Jack cheese- thin slices

1 link of deer sausage- cut or shredded into fine pieces. (Pork/breakfast sausage works fine)

Jalapenos- remove seeds and cut into slivers (I use canned jalapenos)

onion- Cut into slivers 1 in. long

meat tenderizer mallet

Lay the backstap out and cut 3/4 in filets.

Take a meat tenderizer and beat until the meat is flattened out to the size of a softball.

Now dip the meat into a shallow dish of the Teriyaki marinade. Then dust with garlic powder and pepper.

Now spread cream cheese on one entire side of the meat. The more the better.

Now sprinke some of your shredded deer sausage in the middle.

Add your onions and Jalapeno slivers. I usually us 1 or 2 Jap. slivers and 2 or 3 onion slivers.

Now take one side of the meat and roll it all up like a sushi roll.

Wrap the roll in bacon and secure with toothpics.

Now cook on the grill until the bacon is cooked like you like it. About five minutes before you think they are completely done add the slice of pepper jack cheese to top of each roll and let melt.

Remove and cool for a couple of minutes (the cream cheese will be very hot) and enjoy.

I promise you will not be disappointed! This will blow your mind! If ordered in a restaurant you would pay $50+

Let me know what you think, that is if your able to stop eating long enough to send me a response."

18-Nov-09
now my stomach's growlin'

18-Nov-09
Well its official, thats dinner tomorrow night. Any suggestions for sides?

19-Nov-09

nijimasu's embedded Photo
Wild rice and home-baked bread never hurt-

I'd be having the venison roles again tonite, except I just caught a steelhead I better grill up. Life is rough sometimes!

20-Nov-09
My problem is when I make this recipe, I never leave enough room for sides.

Wild rice would work. I like grilling veggies since you already have it fired up. Asparagus, zuchinni, and sweet potatos are great grilled. Some olive oil, little seasoning salt, and maybe some minced onion.

29-Nov-09
I have made these twice in the last week. The best wild game recipe I have ever tried!!

29-Nov-09

Wages's embedded Photo
Wages's embedded Photo
I'm going to have to try these, here's a printable version using the info and a couple of pics above. Thanks guys!

29-Nov-09
well shoot! that didn't work too well, i forgot that the picture would get compressed.

29-Nov-09
still, easy enough to copy the pic and paste it on a word doc or something-

Thanks!

29-Nov-09
yeah that's what i did, and then I made a PDF to send to my brother and then thought I'd post it for others, then I realized you can't attach a PDF here so I made it into a JPG and attachd it, but then the JPG got compressed when I attached it, and doesn't look like it will print well.

01-Dec-09
maybe you could save the full size doc as a pic on photobucket, and insert it in your text here- I've noticed photos embedded that way come out significantly bigger- or you could give the photobucket link in your entry- either way, your work looks really good. Did you try them yet?

01-Dec-09
I found this recipe about 6 months ago and it is a treat to make and eat.

I tweaked it a bit for some added heat - I mince up a jalapeno pepper and add it in with the onion.

The pepper jack cheese is an absolute must. I forgot to add it to a batch and the taste just wasn't the same.

These also freeze and reheat well. I'll nuke up a couple for a snack in front of the TV while watching football.

Does anybody have a suggestion on how to keep MORE cream cheese in the roll? When I grill mine, the rolls leak a lotta cream cheese...

iowaPete

01-Dec-09
you took the words right out of my mouth pete. My problem is I already cut my portions of steak up to regular steak size before findeng out about this recipe. I made some last night though and might make more tonight. I absolutely love these things.

01-Dec-09
How about some quantities/measuring amounts to these recipes, guys? How MUCH of each ingredient, for crying out loud! ;^)

01-Dec-09
As far as quantity...I can eat 3 if I eat nothing else, only 2 if I have some sides. These things are absolutely filling!!

02-Dec-09
can anyone let me borrow some backstrap- i'll gladly pay you on tuesday. dang it- now i have to wait another year. note to self "don't pass up today what you would shoot on the last." dang it, dang it, dang it! enjoy boys because im hurting.

03-Dec-09
Well I had to try these last night. The wife and kid loved them but I would do things a little different next time.

-No need to use the backstrap. Recipe hides the flavor of the meat so just use steak or chop cuts.

-Colby cheese vs. pepperjack or no cheese was our favorite.

-Mine came out really big so I would make smaller sausage cuts and much smaller jalapeño cuts.

-Use outdoor grill vs. indoor or maybe try these in an oven/broiler pan so you don't lose some of the juices / tenderness.

It's still hard to beat a little floor, garlic, pepper, greek seasoning and a little bacon grease in a pan for backstraps and loins.

19-May-19

19-May-19
For dinner tomorrow. I'll be using a mountain goat sirloin though. It's the only non-ground game meat I have left as I pilfered most of my venison roasts for midwest's chorizo recipe.

20-May-19

I just whipped up another batch of these out of this year's doe. They're still the yummiest invention ever.

20-May-19

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Things are looking up, love bowsite recipes!

20-May-19

20-May-19

21-May-19
Talk about a blast from the past! Might have to break these out for my new Akorn.

21-May-19

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
They’re pretty good. The kids loved them. I added ground chipotle and baked them at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.

21-May-19
Dale / Brian,

I made these tonight and I converted two venison non-believers into believers. This will be my go-to recipe for deer steaks from here on. By far the best recipe I have ever seen for deer.

Thank ya,

Keven

• Sitka Gear