Matt 04-Dec-09
Tony 04-Dec-09
bowriter 05-Dec-09
ironhunter 05-Dec-09
Gundy 05-Dec-09
28-Nov-09

Wages's embedded Photo
Wages's embedded Photo
I tried to search to see if this had been posted before, but couldn't get the search to work.

Jim Johnston (left) shot this 197 lb wolf in northern Alberta, while bear hunting. This was filmed by Jeff Grimolfson (right)and will air on "The Hunting Chronicles" on Wild TV.

They say it "looks like it's going to be close to the new world record."

This story and the facts above were in Big Buck magazine, and are assumed to be accurate.

how many deer/elk/moose etc, do you think a 197 pound wolf (and the rest of his pack) eat a year?

28-Nov-09
Looks more like a werewolf then a canadian wolf, all I can say is WOW, quite the beast!! I got chills after looking at its face, sure does look like a werewolf...lol

28-Nov-09
"how many deer/elk/moose etc, do you think a 197 pound wolf (and the rest of his pack) eat a year?"

I don't know but that one won't be eating anymore.

28-Nov-09
geez is that thing HUGE !

28-Nov-09
Makes me want to hunt a wolf. Awesome.

29-Nov-09
Been around a year or so. I know it was posted on several sites last year.

29-Nov-09
I have trapped and weighed a lot of wolves over the past 40 years. A 120 lb wolf is a large one. The largest one I have caught was 123 lbs and it had a tummy full of moose meat.

I seriously doubt that this wolf weighs 197.

Turns out that all of the 200 lb wolves I have heard about here in Alaska were "killed" in bars!

Pete

29-Nov-09
Wolfs by nature are rather lean. Looks like that one has been fed Alpo! Better fed then most dogs.

29-Nov-09
"how many deer/elk/moose etc, do you think a 197 pound wolf (and the rest of his pack) eat a year?"

It'd be interesting to know, true enough. But I'm more interested in how many yuppies and yuppies' puppies. Loud mouthed granola crunchers and their yappy little furballs. Those are the numbers that'll put a smile on my face.

29-Nov-09
Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old news. I've seen this thing floating around for at least a year or 2.

29-Nov-09
Pete what are the wolves doing to get into so many bar fights?

29-Nov-09
lol! FXRScotty, that reminds me of a FarSide cartoon!

29-Nov-09
Obviously a huge wolf, but not 197 lbs. Just imagine you were trying to hold up an animal that weighed that much. And they seem to be holding it up off the ground! Think you might be under a little more strain than those guys look to be under?

Really neat pictures of a really big wolf, but we don't have to inflate its weight for it to be a good story.

29-Nov-09
197 is the weight published in big buck magazine, I don't know if it's accurate or not, but that is how the story reads.

As far as holding the weight, I'm not a very big fella, but I can bear hug my 200 lb brother and hold him off the ground. I wouldn't want to, but I could.

Lifting 200 lbs off the ground would be another story altogehter though.

I don't know, I've never even seen a live wolf, I thought it was an interesting set of pictures and story. But it seems like most everyone else is annoyed by it in some way or another. Go figure :)

29-Nov-09
If it is 197 they have it propped up and then photoshop the prop out ,. That is done on lots of game pics to hold a bucks head up ect. I don't understand why so many people doubt the weight. It is huge. Easily could weigh around 200 lbs.

30-Nov-09
What is annoying is that is surfaces every year with a different story behind it. It is always the cousin of somebody who knows the sister of the guy who killed it. Where the hell is guy holding wolf?

30-Nov-09
2 of my good friends hunt with Jeff. I will ask them what they know.

30-Nov-09
The likelihood of that wolf weighing 197 is less than the chance Jim and Jeff are Lilliputian by birth. :)

30-Nov-09
Big head on that critter. I doubt it weighs more than 130 though.

Nice lookin' animal.

30-Nov-09
Adult wolf will eat 50 lbs of meat a week.

do the math on how many deer/elk a pack of 5 wolves will eat in a year.

30-Nov-09

Tony's embedded Photo
Tony's embedded Photo
I could see that wolf going close to 200 pounds if he had a belly full of meat. I don't have a problem believing that guy could hold a 200 pound wolf up either. This is a picture of me holding a wolf that cleared 100 pounds, and I was only 15 then. It is a lot easier holding them by the chest, so Why couldn't a grown man hold up a 200 pound wolf.

30-Nov-09
I guess he is just stronger than most guys on here. Hit the gym for awhile fellas and 200lbs wont feel to bad.

30-Nov-09
"What is annoying is that is surfaces every year with a different story behind it."

According to the magazine article, this wolf is currently being scored to determine if it is a new record. My understanding is that it was taken in May of 2009. If that is true I don't see how it could surface every year on the internet with a different story. I provided as many facts as I could, based from the story of a reputable magazine. Sorry it upset you.

30-Nov-09
The wolf is being scored for a new world record (will probably stomp the existing one) and is all of the weight stated.

Ever hold a cougar or any other 125# animal up? Not very hard especially if you just shot the new world record wolf.

Get a grip and give the hunter a thumbs up instead of bashing the story, some of you guys that have never been in wolf country and seen some of these dogs would have a different view of this pic if you experinced it first hand.

Shot app 1.5 hrs west of home, big damn dog....

30-Nov-09
The wolf is being scored for a new world record (will probably stomp the existing one) and is all of the weight stated.

Ever hold a cougar or any other 125# animal up? Not very hard especially if you just shot the new world record wolf.

Get a grip and give the hunter a thumbs up instead of bashing the story, some of you guys that have never been in wolf country and seen some of these dogs would have a different view of this pic if you experinced it first hand.

Shot app 1.5 hrs west of home, big damn dog....

01-Dec-09
I didn't know they kept records for wolves

01-Dec-09
Hunter? May of 2009?

I'm pretty sure I saw this picture at least a year ago. Do the math. And if you blow it up you'll see the steel cable from the snare still around the critter's neck. Not my idea of "hunting".

The Old Sarge

01-Dec-09
SCI has records for every animal you can shoot. except rats!

01-Dec-09
The dates are incorrect, the wolf was "SHOT" not snared, I SAW THE VIDEO OF THE KILL or was it a snare??? please, you guys are a joke....

01-Dec-09

Gundy's embedded Photo
Gundy's embedded Photo
Here's a 130# pounder shot by USFWS in Idaho. To me it looks as big or bigger than the purported 197#er. JMO so don't get bent outta shape. lol

01-Dec-09
Actually, the joke is on anybody that believes this wolf weighs in at 197 lbs or believes it was NOT snared.

01-Dec-09
I have a 125# wolf on the wall at home, weighed on a certified and it is a lot smaller than the big bugger in the first pics. You will be pulling your foot out of your mouth old sarge when you get to view the video, LOL.

01-Dec-09
Sarge, That wolf was shot not snared. For one, I've heard from several sources that the hunt will be on Wild TV. Also it looks like it has a bloody spot in its mid section which is from getting shot. And you wouldn't be shooting it if it was in a snare. You would never hold it in free hanging lock snare. I've seen what big wolves can do to cable. If it was in a power snare it would already be dead when you got to it.

01-Dec-09
High fence wolf for sure!

01-Dec-09
If it was not snared, why is there a busted steel cable around its neck?

01-Dec-09
"You will be pulling your foot out of your mouth old sarge when you get to view the video, LOL."

So post, or at least link to, the video.

01-Dec-09
Not trying to argue there sarge, don`t know why I waste my time posting in the first place...blow me up a pick sarge, I will wait to see the snair. And please don`t holar at me.

01-Dec-09
I could really care less, but the photos do look very similar (i.e. the same) to ones that have been floating around the internet for a couple years.

Again, I don't care to argue, because I don't really care whether its the same or not. I just wish people would stop passing off second hand info as fact because they were told by a guy who's cousins brother in law that used to date the sister of the guy that shot it when they were in the 8th grade. Give sources, if its going to be on tv, there should be a link to a webpage with a picture or a video clip promo or an air date.

Next thing you know, we'll hear that the monster Illinois high fence buck was shot in the Carribean after swimming the Gulf of Mexico from Texas because someone got it in an email...

01-Dec-09
I saw these on another web site last winter. They were debunked then. If there is more proof lets see it other than that - that one cool looking wolf.

01-Dec-09
I'm told by a credible source this wolf was shot near Drayton Valley Alberta (West of Edmonton and not really Northern Alberta) and although it is a big timberwolf, it's nothing unusual for that area. It just looks gigantic because it's being held up by a midget.

Same reason I'm happy my wife has small hands.

01-Dec-09
I googled "huge wolf pictures" and these pictures came up, along with one that isn't nearly as grainy, and you can clearly see the cable with broke strands coming off of its neck.

01-Dec-09

Wages's embedded Photo
Wages's embedded Photo

Wages's Link
Okay so I'll try one more time:

The information I posted comes from Big Buck magazine, a reputable publication. Here is a picture of the front cover of the most recent issue in which this article appears, along with a shot of the article from which the facts I've referred to appear.

I’m not a big fan of internet gossip and all of the “world record” deer photos that have no credible source, that’s why I’ve tried a number of times to provide the relevant information. If any of this information turns out to be incorrect, false or misleading, I apologize in advance.

It seems that at this point the people who are spreading the internet gossip are the nay-sayers who keep disputing this, without providing any proof of their own.

Also, here is a link to the website owned by Mr. Grimolfson.

I expect each of you who have claimed to have seen these pictures for years, or to “know” that this story is bogus, or to see somthing in the photo that suggest a snare, to provide as much to back your claims as I have tried to do here, I can not find these picture on the internet before the summer of 2009.

No hard feelings from me if you end up debunking this entire story, but don't just sit there calling B.S. or making claims of snares and such unless you have something to back it up with, after all, nonsense like that is how all of the internet rumors get started. This kind of behavior is no better than the very thing you are claiming to dislike.

02-Dec-09
for what it's worth (which may be nothing)

http://proliberty.com/observer/20090623.htm

02-Dec-09
I talked with my friend who has hunted with Jeff Grimolfson a number of times, and he indicated that a) the story is true, b) Jeff is 5'9" or so to provide some perspective of the size fo the wolf, and c) just because you weren't there when the wolf was killed on video and haven't seen the TV show (which has already aired) featuring the video of the wolf being killed doesn't mean it didn't happen.

This is just another case of the anonymity of cyberspace allows people to make specious claims regarding that which they know nothing about.

02-Dec-09
must be nice to bait then you get the monsters.that website is hilarious.

02-Dec-09

The Old Sarge's embedded Photo
The Old Sarge's embedded Photo
I tried to post this yesterday but for some reason, it would not go through.

Notice the cable?

The Old Sarge

02-Dec-09
Too funny Sarge. Talk about a photoshopped picture...

02-Dec-09
That cable looks like a piece of grass. If it was a cable it wouldn't be coming from around his chest. Also, there is another piece of "cable" on his front leg by the elbow

02-Dec-09
So Sarge, let me get this straight: you are implying that the video is a fabrication, and that the people who *have* seen the video, Jeff and my friends are liars - solely based on your belief that the item in the picture is a broken snare cable?

02-Dec-09

Gundy's embedded Photo
Gundy's embedded Photo
That wolf shows no indication that it's been snared. The last pic shows the neck area being pristine.

Don't know what this thing is, probably some grass.

02-Dec-09
It's under the guys arm. And I didn't photo shop it. It's just the way I got it ... several months ago.

Go ahead and blow it up and point out the alterations if there are any. I'm just telling the story as I remember it ... from right here on Bowsite ... several months ago. And I'm not the only one ...

The Old Sarge

02-Dec-09
Matt, don't put words in my mouth. I didn't call anybody a liar. I simply related the story of the wolf and the picture the way it appeared, and played out, here ... SEVERAL MONTHS AGO. Ask around. I'm not the only one here that remembers it.

Maybe the wolf WAS shot. It's a very common way to dispose of animals still alive after trapping/snaring. I admit I have not see the video. Neither have the vast majority of those that accept this current version of the story.

Ever heard the old saying, "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see."? Did it ever occur to any of you that the video to which you refer may be the phony? Any of you have any idea what can be done with video nowadays?

The Old Sarge

02-Dec-09
Gundy, any signs of that image having been altered?

How about the other two at the top of the page?

02-Dec-09
"Ever heard the old saying, "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see."?

The salient question is, have you? Take a step back and think about it.

02-Dec-09
lol I'm not the one subscribing to any particular story about the wolf, Matt. lol I simply question the one to which most of you seem to have subscribed.

Anyone compared all the photos to see if any have been altered?

The Old Sarge

02-Dec-09
"lol I'm not the one subscribing to any particular story about the wolf, Matt."

"Actually, the joke is on anybody that believes this wolf weighs in at 197 lbs or believes it was NOT snared."

Really?

02-Dec-09
any way we could get a copy of the video?

02-Dec-09

Wages's Link
it's probably more fun for some of you to speculate and make stuff up, but I'll share this info just the same:

The story in the magazine relates that the 2 men were bear hunting over bait and had a large bear come in, and then they notice the wolves next to them. They shot the wolf in the picture as you might guess. Again, this is how the story reads, I have it right here in my hand. (has a lot of great deer hunting stories too!)

I can find all kinds of internet hogwash about this wolf all over the net, on lots of other discussion forums like this one, but the Big Buck magazine article seems to be the only story that has anything other than hear say.

I find it interesting that everyone that claimed to have seen these pictures for years seems to have gotten awfully quiet, when asked to back those statements.

And still others continue to add to the rumors in an attempt to "straighten" this all out. lol

I did finally get the search to work, and found this thread from June (see link).

02-Dec-09
Didn't know wolves were that big. I would like to chase some around one day. As for the lifting, that's how I load my deer onto the cargo carrier. Hug them around the chest and pick them up. Generally, around 180 lbs. dressed.

02-Dec-09
Didn't know wolves were that big. I would like to chase some around one day. As for the lifting, that's how I load my deer onto the cargo carrier. Hug them around the chest and pick them up. Generally, around 180 lbs. dressed.

02-Dec-09
OH no some one killed Jacob Black!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Moon - of course!!! Werewolf!!!

03-Dec-09
Yep, sure looks like "something" hanging from his hand. Funny you don`t see it in any other pics that have been floating around since the start of circulation except yours sarge.

Sarge if you didn`t shop the pics someone did. I look at your post and you say you have to blow up the pic to see the snare around his neck. Clearly without blowing the pic up you see the "snare" hanging from his hand, not even close to his neck. If this is the best you can do not buying it.

Spring wolf with short hair, easily 197lbs. and if you have ever taken a 125# wolf and held it up you would buy the weight.

Look at the 130# wolf with winter fur and then the 197#er, no comparison.

03-Dec-09
Yep, sure looks like "something" hanging from his hand. Funny you don`t see it in any other pics that have been floating around since the start of circulation except yours sarge.

Sarge if you didn`t shop the pics someone did. I look at your post and you say you have to blow up the pic to see the snare around his neck. Clearly without blowing the pic up you see the "snare" hanging from his hand, not even close to his neck. If this is the best you can do not buying it.

Spring wolf with short hair, easily 197lbs. and if you have ever taken a 125# wolf and held it up you would buy the weight.

03-Dec-09

03-Dec-09
You got that video link yet?

03-Dec-09
Sheephunter I have received the same pic on the e-mail a couple weeks ago, and no, Sarge didn't photo shop it. However, it is not a cable, it is grass or some other piece of brush. When you catch an animal in a snare, you just cut the snare with a cable cutter or side-cutter, and it doesn't fray like that. The only way that it could be a cable, and I'm sure that it isn't, is if the wolf got caught in a snare, chewed it off, and got shot later.

03-Dec-09
You fellas accusing Sarge of Photoshop are grossly overestimating his technical skills. Sorry Sarge...ha!

Also, the image Sarge posted is a completely different image from the one shown in the first post of this thread (same dude holding wolf though). If you will read the June Bowsite thread in Wages' link (about 9 posts above this one) you will see that same picture was posted by member "Bear Track" back in June. In that June thread, it was referred-to by several members as "old" at that time. FWIW.

I don't really care what the wolf weighs, nor when he was taken.....just glad he's dead ;)

03-Dec-09
There isn`t one that I can find, have to get it from somewher else. I don`t need to see it, already viewed it. Maybe you will have more luck than I.

03-Dec-09
Sarge,

Not sure if you get Wild TV but they may offer it (the clip) online, other than that I still can`t find it. Saw it at Hunt/Fish Show this summer.

03-Dec-09
There is no way the guy on the right is 200#, maybe the guy holding him on the left.

03-Dec-09
I don't have a dog in this race, but we killed a hog in Texas this summer that had a broken snare around its neck. It looked exactly like the picture Sarge posted. That hog was probably 130 lbs.

03-Dec-09
Remember fellows, just because it is in print does not make it true.

03-Dec-09
Now JHP just gave you great advice. I don't know much about Big Bucks magazine but if I recall correctly, they mostly print stories sent to them by hunters and If I recall, they don't pay them anything. There is nothing wrong with that but you usually get what you pay for.

But if you have ever read the National Enquirer, you'll certainly belive in visitors from Mars. After all, it was in print, therefore it must be true.

The cardinal rule of journalism is check your sources. Then understand the inverted pyramid and who, what, when, where why and how.

Just as an aside, I have a close friend in MB who is laughing has asse off about that story and pictures.

One way to put this all to rest. Have the guy who killed the wolf surface and tell his story...not the magazine, the actual hunter.

Personally, I don't care if the wolf weighed 500 pounds. I don't like wolves, glad to see that one dead, don't care how it was killed. I was glad to see it killed when I saw the picture last year.

03-Dec-09
bowwriter,

I concur JHP's advice is sound, and I have only reported what I have read, I sited the source from the very beginning, and have repeatedly asked for others to counter the magazine article with something substantiated, if they can.

On the 30th you wrote: >>"What is annoying is that is surfaces every year with a different story behind it. It is always the cousin of somebody who knows the sister of the guy who killed it."

And then tonight you wrote: >>"Just as an aside, I have a close friend in MB who is laughing has asse off about that story and pictures."

Again, as others have, it seems as if you are doing the very thing you are condemning. (here with coy suggestions)

You also wrote: >>"One way to put this all to rest. Have the guy who killed the wolf surface and tell his story...not the magazine, the actual hunter."

Maybe you want to employ that cardinal rule of journailism and call him and ask for an interview as a journalist and outdoor writer. The contact info is on the grims monster bait link listed above.

Just an FYI, my cousin's sister knows a guy that finds this story humorous as well. :)

04-Dec-09
Just FYI-I'm not writing about it and reporting as fact. What I am stating as fact is, this picture has been around a while. I believe you will find several others on here doing the same.

What I am pointing out is just because this story ran in a publication doesn't make it true. What I might also point out is I know of no category for world record wolf. It is judged by skull size, length, tip to tip, weight? What makes a world record wolf? It is true, SCI will score anything including a Tampax but how do you score a wolf? What is the criteria?

What I am also pointing out, just FYI, is my friend in MB has seen this picture many times. He works near Sled Lake in SK...as a trapper...a wolf trapper.

I think I know your cousins's sister, may have met the guy she knows. Both his eye are on the same side, right? They call him flounder? :)

Rest assured, if I send something for print, it has been verified and villified. On a forum,I may say any screwing thing. :)

04-Dec-09

gunslinger's embedded Photo
gunslinger's embedded Photo

gunslinger's Link
guys i live right here in alberta, and i know the outfitter, this wolf was killed on a bear bait site , there was a few of em come in and he killed the big black one,

My brother brian, alot of you guys know us from hunting with us up at bear camp. has killed 170 pound wolf up here already out at nordegg, this wolf is legitimate and all on video.

He is a monster wolf and it was shot here in alberta.

Ive attached a photo here of the one we got, we still ahve alot of work to do killing alot more. This is dad holding him up

04-Dec-09
Who would a thunk we would argue over the weight of a stinkin wolf!

I guess we will argue over FRONTAL shots, MECHANICALS, and HIGH FENCES too!

I finished my first bag of popcorn already so let me know if I need to pop some more. Mike

04-Dec-09
"My brother brian, alot of you guys know us from hunting with us up at bear camp. has killed 170 pound wolf up here already out at nordegg, this wolf is legitimate and all on video."

LIAR!!! PHOTOSHOP!!

Just kidding. I am coming to the conclussion that no amount of proof will convince the skeptics that there are wolves that are 200 or even 170 pounds.

It's like Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the Holocaust. When people get too invested in their opinion, things like video of the kill shot and second-hand accounts from people who actually know the guy in one of the pictures get trumped by photoshop conspiracy theories, theories of "friends", and so forth.

04-Dec-09
Bowriter Big Buck Magazine is actually pretty selective about what they print, and they pay between $100-300 for a story

05-Dec-09
Good to see they started paying something. I never argues the weight of the wolf. Just the facts.

05-Dec-09
Why does it matter what that wolf weighed?

05-Dec-09
"Why does it matter what that wolf weighed?"

It doesn't but we would have the same exact discussion here if someone claimed to have shot a 2000 lb Brown Bear or a 500 lb whitetail.

COULD it happen? I suppose, but the chances are infinitesimal.

• Sitka Gear