Dunner 07-Jul-10
twojump 08-Jul-10
WstrnHntr270 06-Oct-21
Rut Nut 07-Oct-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
30-May-10

Dunner's embedded Photo
Dunner's embedded Photo
Over the past few years that I've been participating in archery forums, I've been truly inspired by the outpouring of support I've seen offered to people in need from those of you who enjoy our shared sport. I'm posting now to ask for the same help and support for a young family dear to my heart. Just over three weeks ago, my friend and fellow archer, Shon Simpson fell approximately 22 feet to the concrete floor of the house on which he was building in Northern Wyoming. He was life-flighted to Billings, Montana, where he was treated for a broken back, skull fracture and other assorted injuries. He was recently flown to Craig Hospital near Denver, Colorado. This hospital specializes in traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries. Luckily, he is not suffering any cognitive impairment, however, at this time, Shon is paralyzed from the chest down and his prognosis is in question. His family was told to "hope for the best, but plan for the worst". Shon has been accompanied by his wife Julie, however their two young daughters, Jozi 7yr and Dazi 4yr are in the care of family members in Cody, Wyoming. Since his arrival @ Craig Hospital, Shon and his wife have given 110% toward learning and adapting to this new challenge in front of them. Their attitude and effort is nothing short of inspirational.

Shon's name may be familiar to many of you due to his past position as editor at Eastman's Outdoor Hunting Journal. Many of you out there possibly sent him hunting stories for publishing. However, besides being an accomplished archer and all-around outdoorsman, he's a husband, a dad, a brother, a son. I can tell you he is also one of those guys that would give you the shirt off his back. Both Shon and his wife Julie are tough, proud people, and when I asked for their blessing before posting this thread... Shon didn't take the decision lightly. However, he is realizing the challenges before him and his family is vast and far-reaching. I'm confident I can count on the prayers and words of encouragement from all of you out there, and I'm hoping that any of you that can afford to offer any financial support will do so. As we all know, medical insurance only goes so far. I'm hoping everybody on this site will consider sending a few bucks their way to off-set expenses that are looming ahead. A website has just been erected (www.shonsimpson.com) in order to gather funds for the Simpson family, which includes links with information on their hometown fund-raising benefit / auction in Cody, Wyoming. This site will include a "Donate" button directing any donations through "Paypal" into the bank fund for his family. The fundraiser for the Simpson's is June 26th in Cody.

Any of you craftsmen out there that would be willing to donate an item for auction can contact me and I will coordinate the item getting there. Lastly, anyone not comfortable with making donations via "Paypal" may send checks or money orders to: "Elkhunter Custodial Account" C/O Jalie Meineke PO Box 3129 Cody, WY. 82414 Thank you all for your consideration and a big "Thank You" on behalf of the Simpson family. Sincerely, Dunner

30-May-10
check for a few bucks will be in the mail tuesday. know what it's like to face tall odds. we all need help from time to time. nice to know folks care. best of luck in your fund raising efforts. RNH

30-May-10
Thank You Scott! Not only for the kind words, but shooting them a few bucks as well. They are most deserving.

sincerely,

Dunner

30-May-10
My prayers and thoughts are with Shon, family and love ones. This is an opportunity for us to show our support to a brother bowhunter in need. May we give words of encouragement, time in prayer, and more than likely, some much needed cash. Dunner, please keep us informed of Shon's condition.

31-May-10
Deacon, Thanks for stopping by!

Shon called me tonight, which is the first time I've spoken to him since being flown out of Billings 3wks ago. His attitude is awesome, he's in good spirits and spoke at length of how hard he is working to learn to function w/ no feeling below his chest. I was also very inspired to hear of the accolades he piled on his wife, who is w/ him every step of the way and is expediting his recovery due to her mental and physical toughness (i.e., the more independence he demonstrates, the more freedom he has on the Craig Hospital campus).

Thanks again for your kind words and support!

All my best to you and yours!

Dunner

31-May-10
Not much but did what I could. The guestbook failed when I tried to sign?

31-May-10
Sent a donation and prayers for a full recovery.

31-May-10
Donation made.....prayers on-going. Get well Shon!

31-May-10
Getting something out the first of the week, our prayers and thoughts are with the family

31-May-10
I have had the pleasure of knowing Shon and his family for a couple of years now through my friend Dunner. He and his family are down to earth, hard working people that would do anything for their neighbor. My only complaint is that he kicked my butt in archery shoots. :) I pray I will meet him again in a shoot or in the field. Thoughts and prayers are with the Simpson family.

31-May-10
Prayers from our family to his.

31-May-10
Thanks to you all for the kind words and more to this point. Shon said in our conversation the other night how much inspiration he draws from reading these comments from the archery forums... The guy is very humbled.

Here's a pic from last year's shoot that Broken Arrow is making reference to. As usual, he put a whoopin on the rest of us!

Dunner

31-May-10

Dunner's embedded Photo
Dunner's embedded Photo
oops... forgot to post pic.

31-May-10
Speaking of pics... Shon's past co-worker at Eastman's put this video together. Hope you enjoy it.

Dunner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_012WvEnXo

31-May-10
Prayers sent from Ohio. Get well soon!

31-May-10
may The Good Lord Bless this man and his family louis

01-Jun-10
hoping to make it to the auction on the 26th will be coming from ohio to cody

01-Jun-10
I'm hoping to make the auction as well, Although I don't know Shon We have a friend in common, and he informed me the day his accident happened.

Will be praying for a recovery.

01-Jun-10
Prayers and a donation sent! Please have a speedy recovery! Good Luck

Todd Gardner Keizer Oregon

01-Jun-10
That would be awesome to meet the reps from Ohio and Wisconsin @ the benefit! There are some cool items rolling in. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Dunner

01-Jun-10
Hey Dunner, how do we find out what items are up for auction? I tried looking at the website but couldn't locate them. Of course I have been know to be techno challenged.

Broken Arrow

02-Jun-10
Broken Arrow... Like technological challenges are the only ones... Ha!

Seriously, The fella who graciously donated his time to build the site just got going on it last Fri, so he's back in town and adding the finishing touches as of today. I know some pics were recently added and the "guestbook" was just fired up. Apparently more will be added as items become identified. I spoke to several of the crew in Cody and they are scrambling to get things cinched-up prior to the benefit @ the end of the month.

Keep checking in there! White Hawk from Billings is donating an awesome beaded rifle sling. I also heard J&N Traders in Powell is sending at least one minature horse! I'll try to get two out of them so you can get one for each of your kids! Ha!

Dunner

02-Jun-10
Dunner, I would think that Bowhunters of Wyoming would love to get involved. A former president of BOW lives in Cody. I'm looking at my newsletter. Ron Niziolek is whom I speaking of. Drop me a PM and I will give you his phone number.

02-Jun-10
Prayers sent to him and his family.

02-Jun-10
Dunner, A good friend of mine suffered the same fate from a tree stand fall a couple of years ago and is paralyzed from the chest down also. I'm sure that Shon could learn a great deal from his recovery efforts (they have not been easy to say the least). Since the fall, my friend Mike has arrowed several P&Y animals and has been quite the inspiration as a bowhunter and a human being. Mike works for Sportmen of North America (they advertise on Bowsite) if during his time of need Shon would like to talk with Mike you can reach him that way. I send well wishes and tons of strength.

03-Jun-10
Hey Dillkill, I appreciate the notion and I'm sure Shon would too!

Drop by his website (www.shonsimpson.com) and post in his guest book. I'm sure he'd like to hear it from you first hand. Even if you don't feel like signing the guest book, check out the video they put together of Shon - pretty cool! Thank you for the support!

All my best,

Dunner

03-Jun-10
I'm working on something else to donate, I would like to throw out a challenge to all you craftsmen out there to donate something, it doesn't have to be big or much, if your not a craftsman, then a couple of bucks would help I'm sure. Thoughts and prayers.Bruce

03-Jun-10
A big thanks to Dunner for starting this thread! Shon is one of the most physically and mentally tough guys I know, and hands down one of the most selfless as well. Im proud to call him a good friend. Guys, if there were ever someone to try and help out, Shon would be a good pick, cause believe me, he'd do it for any of the rest of us...

Dunner, we'll see you at the K-Z shoot, you guys were smart to grab that last cabin! Hopefully we wont need the rain gear this year...

Kelly

03-Jun-10
Prayers, and Donation from NY, will continue to keep Shon and his family in daily Prayers for sure!!!

03-Jun-10
Well Said Kelly!

Looking forward to seeing you as well @ K-Z!

And a big "THANK YOU" to Kennelboy for your support!

Dunner

03-Jun-10
I would encourage you all to check out the thread on the leatherwall as well for updates regarding Shon's progress. There is some very cool posts. The picture of Shon and his daughter having a pillow fight is awesome. Keep up the hard work Simpson. You guys are amazing.

04-Jun-10
I took the liberty of copying this from the Leatherwall, where Shon's wife posted last night...

hello from Denver, We finally had Shon's confernce today. We got really good news!!!! Shon's spinal cord is not SEVERED!! Yeeha!! That does not mean we are out of the woods, as the spinal cord has suffered significant damage. Shon's dismissal date is July 8th, That could change either way. Depending on unforseen issues or change. We all saw the mri and it was amazing to see the damage and the surgical fixture. You could actually see the treads of the screws. The doctor did not think that Shon's surgery went pefectly. There was one screw that was placed somewhat incorrectly. To my eye it appeared to enter the spinal canal, but the doctor ashered us that it was in protacol range. I am not sure what that means but he made us aware that the damage to the cord was done by the impact and not the placement of the screw. Therefore, they have no intentions of doing it over, as that would be like poking a stick at a tiger. Shon's shoulder is a continued concern. Again there is no talk about surgery. They plan to work on diversion transfers and therapy to help shon with mobility and pain. Who knows what will happen in the future. Physical theapy and occupational therapy were very pleased with Shon's progress and agree that he is strong as hell and more determined than most people. We are all very pleased with Shon's progress. Later this afternoon we moved Shon to the west wing. Shon was aprehensive about leaving all of his lovely nurses and techs. But by the time I got him tucked in tonight, he was very content about the move. We are excited about his new room, it is private, larger and has a bathroom and kitchenette. It was great giving Shon a shower tonight and I did not have to push him down the hall for all to see. The girls and i can spend the night if we like and we can have dinner there as well. However, the best place is our apartment. We really feel more like home here. The girls are going a stircrazy but are dealing well. We are sad to see Joe leave tomorrow, but we are happy to have kim and john, my dad and nate and Jen coming this weekend. Shon should be very entertained. Shon looks forward to the rockies baseball game playing the giants over father's day weekend. We are really excited for that outing. Well we really appreciate all of your prayers and wishes. I look forward to seeing everyone and reading your blogs. Julie

04-Jun-10
Thanks for the update Dunner. They are a tough bunch indeed.

04-Jun-10
This man and his family sounds as tough as there is... the road ahead won't be easy... things we have to fight for never are... Pain is weakness leaving your body... keep up the good work, put your head down and fight through this!

05-Jun-10
It is amazing the support this website provides to their fellow archers/brothers/sisters. It is a bond that I have never witnessed outside of family and close friends. You guys and gals are truly awesome.

06-Jun-10

tramper's Link
All, I contacted CBS4 News in Denver via email about the family. This local channel has a program called "pay it forward" that will give a deserving person/family $1,000. When I contacted them I told them about the bowhunter brotherhood and how tight it was. So...I am asking that everyone followup my email with their own. I included a link to the station's website and their email is below. Let's show the world what the brotherhood of the bow is all about! Jeff

[email protected]

07-Jun-10
Nice work Jeff! I'm all over it!

Dunner

08-Jun-10
TTT

08-Jun-10
Dunner, I've got some DVDs that I've produced and would like to donate to the cause. Let me know how many you can use and where to send them. Thanks, Gerald

08-Jun-10

Dunner's embedded Photo
Dunner's embedded Photo
Shonner-

We managed to pick-up some of those Cutthroats you left behind @ Sunshine res this past weekend!

Work Hard this week!

Dunner

08-Jun-10

Gerald Martin's Link
Dunner, here's the intro I've got uploaded to youtube.

08-Jun-10

whitehawk's embedded Photo
This is a beaded gun sling that I made that i am donating to the fundraiser for Shon.

08-Jun-10

here is another view of the whole sling.

09-Jun-10
Very nice Whitehawk!

If it were not for my uncanny ability to screw-up an anvil in a sandbox, I'd try to put something together for the auction!

Other craftsmen willing???

Thanks for your donation!

Dunner

09-Jun-10
Gerald - I checked-out the intro - very nice! I forwarded the information to the gal in Cody gathering donations. Either she or I will shoot you an address asap.

Also... I really appreciate what you posted in Shon's "guestbook" @ www.shonsimpson.com...

Very kind words indeed.

Thanks for your support.

All my best to you and your family.

Dunner

10-Jun-10
Gerald - Your auction items (and anybody else for that matter who is willing to donate) can be sent to:

Nicole Burr 3 Weatherby Trail Cody, Wy. 82414

Thanks again for your generous donation!

Dunner

10-Jun-10
Thanks Dunner, I'll get them in the mail tomorrow.

10-Jun-10
Thank you pard!

Dunner

13-Jun-10
TTT

~ Dunner

15-Jun-10
Shon called me last night, we talked hunting for awhile. He's doing well, and like always, looking forward to being out in the woods as soon as he's able. For a guy that has faced the battle he has over the last month and a half, you'd never know it talking to him. We should all be so lucky as to be blessed with his kind of "tough"... Thanks to everyone who has donated, said prayers, or kept Shon in their thoughts.

Kelly

24-Jun-10
Shon called me tonight. Those close to the stituation know he's struggling w/ some internal issues and you could sure hear it in his voice. Please understand loud and clear there was no whining, just frustration that his girls need to get out of the hospital and home where they can be enjoying ther Summer and not anchored w/ him.

He stated again how humbled and honored he is by the outpouring of support he's received from his fellow archers and supporters in general and asked me to pass along his thanks.

Anybody reading this and can make the benefit, please do so and honor a great individual.

Sincerely,

Dunner

26-Jun-10
TTT

Benefit Sat pm @ 5pm - Riley Arena in Cody, Wy. Anybody seeing this that can attend... please do.

Thanks for all your support.

Sincerely,

Dunner

26-Jun-10
Donation and ongoing prayers from Indiana.

Keep the faith Shon!

26-Jun-10
The benefit for Shon is today at the Riley arena in Cody. Anybody in the area who is able should stop by, theres going to be a lot to see there, and a LOT of bull will no doubt be shot. This will be an awesome event held for a great guy, and every bit of support is welcome and appreciated...

Kelly

28-Jun-10
Couldn't attend... I'm from Salem Oregon... How'd it go?

29-Jun-10
Twojump - Speaking for myself, I think it went better than anybody predicted. Lots of really cool items for live and silent auction. They beamed Shon in via "Skype" so he could interact w/ the crowd. He got pretty choked-up, needless to say it was contagious w/ the rest of us. Great show of support and raised some much needed money for his family.

Hopefully he and his family can come home soon.

Thanks for dropping by!

I'll share the numbers here when they are made available, as folks here have been graciously supporting this endeavor.

Dunner

29-Jun-10
Twojump,

since you asked, the benefit for Shon was honestly one of the most humbling experiences Ive ever seen... My best guess was that there were between 600-800 people in attendance around dinner time. Tonight, talking with Shons sister, she said that the plate count for dinner was in the 775 range, + or -. Simply amazing... There were both silent auctions and live auctions, both of which did incredibly well. The live auction was insanely fun to watch, with the bidding starting high, and working its way up from there. There were some amazing donations made, with many of the items being custom built pieces from rifle slings to furniture, custom bows to kids play houses. There were guided fishing trips and guided hunts for bear and lion. The donations made were simply incredible...

It was also very cool when Shon was able to join us all via SKYPE, and visit with people who were there. I think he enjoyed it a lot, and the people at the benefit loved it.

I have never seen communities of any size, let alone our small small communities of Cody and Powell, stand behind one person and generate support for any cause like what I watched on Saturday... I truly dont have words for it, but it speaks volumes about the family that it was held for...

It was, for me, something that really hit home about the incredible nature of people in our area (and some elsewhere). I am proud of the people here, and was humbled by their incredibly unselfish support...

Kelly

29-Jun-10
That is what it's all about isn't it? People helping people. It couldn't have been for a better cause! Get well soon Shon! God Bless

Todd in Oregon

04-Jul-10
Strawberryridge- Thanks for posting attendance! Also very articulate description of what I think we all felt!

What a showing by the bighorn basin and beyond!

Thanks to all who put this on and supported the endeavor.

~ Dunner

07-Jul-10

Dunner's embedded Photo
Dunner's embedded Photo
Hey- Some photos for those of you interested that couldn't attend...

Here's a few of the many hand-crafted items prior to auction.

~Dunner

07-Jul-10

Dunner's embedded Photo
Dunner's embedded Photo
A happy silent auction winner!

07-Jul-10

Dunner's embedded Photo
Dunner's embedded Photo
Eastman's made a nice presence w/ their head display along w/ many donated products...

07-Jul-10

Dunner's embedded Photo
Dunner's embedded Photo
Broken Arrow sent us w/ funds to spend on his behalf - we snagged him this...

07-Jul-10

Dunner's embedded Photo
Dunner's embedded Photo
One more of Auction happenings...

What a great evening for a great cause.

Thanks for looking - Now if we can just get the guy home!

~ Dunner

08-Jul-10
That's great.. please keep us posted!

Todd

06-Oct-21
So what happened to Shon? Did he ever end up walking or what?

07-Oct-21
Never saw this thread back then. Wondering too what the outcome was.................

10-Oct-21
Good thread

• Sitka Gear