Side effects of eating venison- only me?
General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
nijimasu 24-Feb-13
That Possum 24-Feb-13
Ermine 24-Feb-13
Fisher 24-Feb-13
INbowdude 24-Feb-13
city hunter 24-Feb-13
Skullwerx 24-Feb-13
Mule Power 24-Feb-13
Bowboy 24-Feb-13
tradmt 24-Feb-13
Rob Nye 24-Feb-13
Jack Harris 24-Feb-13
Chip T. 24-Feb-13
t-roy 24-Feb-13
Mule Power 24-Feb-13
The Old Sarge 24-Feb-13
Ziek 24-Feb-13
IdyllwildArcher 24-Feb-13
KS Flatlander 24-Feb-13
Clutch 24-Feb-13
Docstream 24-Feb-13
JimG 24-Feb-13
Jaquomo_feral 24-Feb-13
Mule Power 24-Feb-13
Bou'bound 24-Feb-13
TGbow 24-Feb-13
Bobbin hood 24-Feb-13
Chip T. 24-Feb-13
MarkU 24-Feb-13
trkytrack 24-Feb-13
JLS 24-Feb-13
casshuntress 24-Feb-13
lucky chuck 24-Feb-13
Dream Catcher@work 24-Feb-13
blindgood 24-Feb-13
JLS 24-Feb-13
lawdy 24-Feb-13
r-man 24-Feb-13
JLS 24-Feb-13
JERSEY BOB 25-Feb-13
Cowdoc 25-Feb-13
fuzzy 25-Feb-13
Paul@thefort 25-Feb-13
Z Barebow 25-Feb-13
rattles33 25-Feb-13
Bullseye 25-Feb-13
lewis 25-Feb-13
Brotsky 25-Feb-13
Fisher 25-Feb-13
huntingbob 25-Feb-13
TD 25-Feb-13
Bowfreak 26-Feb-13
Mule Power 26-Feb-13
badlander 26-Feb-13
fuzzy 26-Feb-13
KS Flatlander 26-Feb-13
nijimasu 27-Feb-13
nijimasu 18-Jun-13
skullz 19-Jun-13
rooster 19-Jun-13
Monmouth533 19-Jun-13
CurveBow 19-Jun-13
hunt4life 19-Jun-13
IdyllwildArcher 19-Jun-13
JLBSparks 19-Jun-13
sundowner 19-Jun-13
Wasatch 20-Jun-13
12yards 21-Jun-13
eddie c 21-Jun-13
MountainMan 21-Jun-13
12yards 21-Jun-13
nijimasu 03-Oct-14
drycreek 03-Oct-14
Baxweird 12-Jan-19
buzz mc 12-Jan-19
Elkhorn 12-Jan-19
climb.on 13-Jan-19
dgb 14-Jan-19
LUNG$HOT 14-Jan-19
TD 14-Jan-19
WV Mountaineer 14-Jan-19
dirtclod Az. 14-Jan-19
Ben 14-Jan-19
Ursman 14-Jan-19
Jack Harris 14-Jan-19
Will 14-Jan-19
ELKMAN 15-Jan-19
ND String Puller 15-Jan-19
LBshooter 15-Jan-19
76aggie 17-Jan-19
Alaska at heart 17-Jan-19
Bucbuster 17-Jan-19
greenmountain 18-Jan-19
DL 18-Jan-19
Ole Coyote 19-Jan-19
DL 19-Jan-19
Killbuck 19-Jan-19
Dandanthedeerman 03-Sep-20
lawdy 03-Sep-20
tobywon 03-Sep-20
Will 03-Sep-20
bobbinhood 03-Sep-20
elkmtngear 03-Sep-20
lawdy 03-Sep-20
Thornton 03-Sep-20
nowheels 05-Sep-20
skipmaster1 05-Sep-20
24-Feb-13

nijimasu's embedded Photo
nijimasu's embedded Photo
I love love LOVE venison. I particularly love it marinated in sake and soy sauce and grilled in big old chunks. But, without fail, it makes me, erm... not pleasant to be around afterward. The only thing worse than deer or elk steaks is pronghorn meat. Beans don't hold a candle.

I figure after I've said that, none of you will ever share a camp with me- but am I the only one? If not, anybody have an antidote?

24-Feb-13
Farts make life fun. I love to do it myself.

When you trim up that meat, make sure you get all the fascia off the meat. That stuff makes some people fart.

I wonder if just eating something your body ain't used to will make you fart too? Yesterday I ate beef for the first time in 9 months. Made me fart like a corn fed mule. I'm farting as I type this.

Except for an occassional can of tuna or potted meat (which really makes me fart!), I mostly eat deer and wild pork. Neither of those make me sing the mudbutt blues like greasy ground beef.

24-Feb-13
I eat Pronghorn and elk steaks and burger year round. Also venison (least favorite). I don't get gas with it

24-Feb-13
Soy sauce usually contains MSG to which some people have the digestive reaction of extreme flatulence.

Check the ingredient list. If there is MSG, you may have your answer. Then you can decide if you wish to contine the fun or change marinades.

Best wishes.

24-Feb-13
All I ever got from venison was a deer gut!

24-Feb-13
I think our bodys are not adjusted to the high protien meat that wild game is . Ive been eating a lot and it seems it isnt bothering me as much !

MSG gives me a headache !

24-Feb-13
Farting makes life fun!!!

That's a classic!

24-Feb-13
For me only the jerky causes internal combustion... Fisher may have explained that.

I live on elk so if I were like you Nij I'd have alot less friends.

It's official: We have now covered every topic that has ANYTHING to do with hunting. LMA0

24-Feb-13
I eat elk year round. Never add any fat to my ground game meat either so it's 100%.

We haven't bought beef except for the occasional steak to grill in years.

Deer I usually turn into all jerky. Elk always steak and burgers.

I don't have many issues with gas except for if we have broccoli or fried onions with game meat. Usually black beans with enchiladas or tacos give me gas.

24-Feb-13
High protein.

24-Feb-13
I also get the farts from venison but they don't stink.

24-Feb-13
ummmm. ditto... Venison always seems to have that effect, and those I feed it to say the same..

Makes a great cover scent during the season, makes me invisible to the deer and of course I can't wear scentlok for that effect because we all know, the scent would never escape because those suits are just soooo effective :)

I only wear my scentlok when I don't have venison gas...

24-Feb-13
What a great start to Bowsite this Sunday AM:)

24-Feb-13
Mule Power,

I have to disagree. I haven't seen any threads about why is it when you gut a deer, elk, etc, within a few minutes, your farts smell like guts?!

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, if that is possible, but this is kind of in the same category!

24-Feb-13
I eat only elk and no added fat. My dogs enjoy 100% fat and sinew free deer including the backstraps. Do any of you windy guys notice a difference between the elk & the deer? I think the deer might have more of an energizing effect but just guessing. Poeple are shocked when I tell them I haven't eaten deer meat in over 15 years. I don't even like deer jerky or snack sticks.

24-Feb-13
A bit off-topic, Nij, but ... do you know why farts stink? *

So we can share them with the hearing impaired.

24-Feb-13
No problems here. The only thing that effects me that way is oatmeal.

24-Feb-13
When I eat meat, irrespective of the species, I don't fart.

When I eat anything grown: beans, potatoes, veggies, and anything dairy, you can tie a string to my leg float me around.

24-Feb-13
Old man and lady sitting in the back of the church....the ole lady passes gas and whispers to her husband "I just let a silent fart...what should I do"?... He responded "better check the batteries in your hearing aid"!

24-Feb-13
Maybe change up your marinate receipt n seasoning, "might" help out the atmosphere n global warming !!

24-Feb-13
It is the high protein and a function of your intestinal bacteria. Certainly very disturbing the effect of gutting or butchering on aroma. You paunch shoot one...you are on your own. Wife will kick me out.

24-Feb-13
Home brewed beer is to farts what Nitro is to dynamite.

24-Feb-13
After I shot my first moose I no longer eat deer unless it's jerky or summer sausage. I've been laughing so hard reading this that my wife asked me what's wrong. Really lmao!!!

24-Feb-13
I've been living on wild game most of my life and don't have any problems with more/less than with any other food. My ex-wife, however, walked around sounding like a marching band from deer and elk. Being Italian, she thought that was pretty cool.

As long as we're on the topic, getting my gall bladder removed significantly reduced the odoriferous aspects of that natural bodily function. Highly recommended..

24-Feb-13
A Havalon will do the job best.

24-Feb-13
To cut the cheese?

I wonder where that saying came from anyway? Probably Wisconsin, no offense to Mike the Cheesehead or anyone else up there.

Sorry for getting off topic on such an important subject. Didn't mean to smokescreen the thread or anything. It just happened.

24-Feb-13
Not a gas issue but the looseness of the average stool is certainly more watery than when dining on fine beef or pork. It is an often cited ancillary benefit for those with hemmroids due to that fact. Far less tearing of the colon wall with venison based stool than with other meats that yield firmer stool. Excellent topic that not enough people are willing to openly discuss. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront.

24-Feb-13
More room outside than there is inside..lol Certain foods do me that way, think some of it depends on the individual.

24-Feb-13
No there are some REAL educated answers to your question!! You guys are DAMN FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24-Feb-13
I think the censors need to have a talk with Bou:)

24-Feb-13
Drink red wine with the meat. It may not cut down on the flatulence but will have added health benefits and after you finish the bottle, you really won't care who you offend.

I recall hearing that farts are like grandkids. You only like your own.

24-Feb-13
I get gas from drinking water!

24-Feb-13
Oh man I got a good laugh from this.

Trkytrack, my wife tells me the same thing.

24-Feb-13
Funny topic, comparative scatology and flatulence!! Thanks for the laughs and "play the wind".

24-Feb-13
A "TRUEISM": A Fart,n Horse will never tire....a Fart,n Man the mans,s to Hire ! I suppose thats "TRUE" for Venision eating Bowhunters !...LOL Celebrate Life wiyh Gratitude & Joy ! Lucky Chuck

24-Feb-13

Dream Catcher@work's embedded Photo
Dream Catcher@work's embedded Photo
Venison marinated in olive oil, soy, garlic and brown sugar and then grilled is almost a weekly thing in my house. No side effect except the kids are growning so fast that one package is not enough!

24-Feb-13
Just made a huge batch of chicken fried steak (venison). Can't wait for side effects. Man glad I live alone!!

24-Feb-13
"Pull my finger is an Olympic sport in my house"

I take some serious heat, in the form of the piercing death ray look when one of our girls farts at the table and then laughs.

24-Feb-13
Up here they say "a farting horse will never tire, and a farting man is the one to hire." Best draft horse, a Percheron, I ever used was a fart factory.

24-Feb-13
when I gave it to the dog(scraps) he had to spend 8 hrs outside to vent, I only had to spend 2hrs outside to vent. But eventually we both became immune to effects of wide game buy october.

24-Feb-13
Woody,

It wasn't very forward thinking of me when I made the mistake of laughing too!

25-Feb-13
sake and soy can do it to you. is this the only meat you marinate that way?

25-Feb-13
I heard it was toxic to not emit when necessary. Apparently those noxious vapors percolate through the body, rising to the top, and that's where "shi--y" ideas come from.

I shared that thought with my daughter.

25-Feb-13
if you eat it as a steady diet the gas problem will subside. Your gut hasd trouble handling unfamiliar proteins til it "learns" the proper enzymes to secrete

25-Feb-13

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
My only "side effects" are, I can not wait to get back into the woods and chase those critters and fill up the freezer.

25-Feb-13
You guys spend way too much time together on this site and are getting WAYYYYYY to comfortable with sharing info! LOL!

I thought runners were the only ones who shared too much info,,, I was wrong!

25-Feb-13
I just read today that Louisiana no longer allows venison to be donated to food shelters. Seems somebody was offended they served venison. So in typical "we can't offend anyone" fashion, they opted to not allow deer meat to be fed to families who really appreciated the donated venison.

25-Feb-13
Hey Z, Lets not get started with "runners" This will create another 50 or so comments that will be extremelly funny and self deprecating! Thanks for all the good laughs on this fine Monday.

25-Feb-13
Ah the "smell of victory" or is that napalm whatever.We serve it up 2-4 times a week.Lewis

25-Feb-13
I knew some of you guys thought your poo didn't stink. Now we have a thread to prove it! Ha!

25-Feb-13
Nijimasu - I forgot to ask, why post the photo of yer kids if YOU have the gas problem?

Or, are they the innocent victims? That stinks.

Just having fun with you.

25-Feb-13
Almost as funny as the manscaping thread! But yes it does the same to me just more in the way it is cooked. Getting ready to feed the factory with some deer stew that has been in the crock pot all day! Bob.

25-Feb-13
That picture....

Is that a pic of the kids having to fight through a toxic cloud in order to eat or what?

=D

Funniest thread of the month. Thanks, kinda needed that....

26-Feb-13
Woody,

I love it....the old Dutch Oven trick.

I live in a house full of girls so I feel it is my duty to make sure that my girls know how to act.

They both are well versed in farting (they are still learning how to crop dust) and mooning their mother.

They both also really like venison and LOVE wild turkey.

My 4 year old pitched a screaming fit the last time we had venison because she thought I was grilling medallions wrapped in bacon on the grill when she found out it was "just" marinated back strap she went bonkers.

26-Feb-13
Up to 60 posts... this thread has some real hang time!

26-Feb-13
Pronghorn has the same effect for me.

I recently read something that discussed the % of protein, fat etc... in various wild game meats and if I recall antelope was #1 and elk was #2 in highest protein lowest fat, and they were by a reasonably wide margin.

Guess I never really realized that the high protein = rocket fuel, but apparently antelope is just enough to get my furnace running. I don't recall the issue from deer or elk, or from antelope brats that are cut with pork, but pure antelope burger and steaks do it. It all makes sense now???!!!

26-Feb-13

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo

26-Feb-13

KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
Everything affects this guy!

27-Feb-13
beware the two-faced dog...

18-Jun-13
wow- i should have checked back on this thread earlier. now my freezer is emptying out, i have a new season to look forward to. and a new bottle of beano.

19-Jun-13
its the protein guys.... you eat a lot of any protein especially harder to digest red meats and your going to get gas.......come to a gym where a bunch of bodybuilders workout sometime believe me its the protein... skulls

19-Jun-13
Ok, I'm late to the party but t-roy I agree with you "I haven't seen any threads about why is it when you gut a deer, elk, etc, within a few minutes, your farts smell like guts?!" Tjought I was the only one and not only deer it could be birds or bunnies or whatever!

19-Jun-13
"I'm farting as I type this"

Now thats funny!

19-Jun-13
Hey T-Roy and Rooster - I totally agree! Same thing for me with deer guts! Plus, when I used to shoot my muzzleloader with Pyrodex, I got "muzzleloader gas" as labeled by my wife & kids! ;^)

>>>>-------->

19-Jun-13

hunt4life's embedded Photo
hunt4life's embedded Photo
Makes me fart and my cat too!

19-Jun-13
Ike, guess the latitude of the picture taken above.

19-Jun-13
Hell, ice cream makes me fart. I don't notice a bigger reaction from venison. Just me.

-Joe

19-Jun-13
A cool glass of clear water makes my son fart.

20-Jun-13

Wasatch's Link
I've never had a problem - but there is a new food allergy out there to red meat that is caused by a tick bite. See the attached.

21-Jun-13
LMAO at KS Flatlander!

21-Jun-13
I didn't read every reply but my family has the same problem. we have been processing our deer for years. a couple of years ago we have found if we will let the meat bleed out in ice water an extra couple of days we don't have as much gas.

21-Jun-13
I am always farting regardless of what I eat... Sorry wife...

21-Jun-13
I must have walked through some of the isles you went through Spike Bull.

03-Oct-14
Perhaps this thread served its purpose when it ran the first time... but I've noticed a somewhat startling development perhaps worth noting. My family has two deer in the freezer this year, with distinctly marked packaging. One generates fire down under, and the other doesn't. This seems strange to me. One is a doe and the other a buck, but no way that could do it...?

03-Oct-14
If venison gave me gas, I would float away. I eat a lot of it .

12-Jan-19
Wow just poking around the interwebs to see what's the deal. Opened a fresh pack of this year's venny pepperoni... And Wow... Never really thought about it but this year's effects are let's just say... Special

12-Jan-19
You'd better be careful opening these old threads. The wolds might show up.

12-Jan-19
No farts for me with deer......but bear farts that’s real.

13-Jan-19
I used to think most foods make me fart, but now I think I figured out that eating too fast makes me fart. The better the meal, the faster I tend to inhale in, the more I tend to crack them off. Seems to make sense.

14-Jan-19
After I eat venison I feel jittery, have a tremendous craving for corn, and an urge to jump fences . . .

14-Jan-19
Oh wow! What a gem of a thread this was! Lmao.

14-Jan-19

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Side effect? Nothing above and beyond anything else I eat...... only side effect is occasionally raking the bed post right after lights out......

14-Jan-19
Only if I have a beer with it.

14-Jan-19
I'ts all Shits and giggles Til' someone Giggles and Shits!

14-Jan-19
Like Elkhorn, Bear causes me especially hard to be around. A smoked bear roast is a supreme offender of all around me.

14-Jan-19
Used to run a pack of bear hounds. They’d get some fresh meat when we were successful. You guys can’t compare with a hound once they‘ve processed bear meat!

14-Jan-19
LMAO!!! How did this one come back around. Yeah still has same effect. Especially when combined with broccoli.

14-Jan-19
Weird, I dont enjoy this wonderous benefit. Normal, basic, regular poop... No additional or spectacular flatulatory emissions. They are fun and exciting, so I'm sorta jealous of all of you.

Oh, and Idyll... wholly crap that helium balloon comment... I'm dying over here! Hilarious!

15-Jan-19
LMAO! :-) This thread somehow "floated right past me"... LOL

15-Jan-19

ND String Puller's Link

15-Jan-19
Well first of all, hunts4life, that's is one of the funniest tattoos and one of the most disgusting at the same time that I've seen, lol.

Now , I get somewhat of the same reaction as the OP but, if I eat lots of mushrooms with my venison look out. Lol

17-Jan-19
My wife fusses at me for farting. Why? Farting is funny! Proof: Watch a baby who can't yet talk fart. The baby laughs. Laughs even louder when said baby is getting a bath and watches the bubbles come up.

17-Jan-19
Why is it that men think farting is funny? I chuckled and even LOL as I read through this aged thread. Can't say as I have ever noticed excessive flatulence after consuming game meat.....however that claim cannot be made after eating Mexican food. Spices, beans....Ai-yi-yi!

17-Jan-19
This is hilarious. Possum..laughed out loud. Always thought Scentlock should come out with a suit called Fartlock for those gastronomically challenged.

18-Jan-19
I wonder if there is a garlic and pinto bean cover scent on the market. This whole stinking thread reminds me of my mother's comment when she was about 90. "There is nothing funnier than a fart" We men don't have the market cornered on "digestive humor".

18-Jan-19
Alpha-gal syndrome is a recently identified type of food allergy to red meat. In the United States, the condition most often begins when a Lone Star tick bite transmits a sugar molecule called alpha-gal into the body. Just s thought.

On a separate note a friend that was in the navy way back said that they were in Australia during a warm spell. Everyone headed in for shore leave to get out of the hot ship. He said that ever bar had pickled eggs on there. When he came back from shore leave he couldn’t get below because of the sulphur cloud from beer and pickled eggs.

19-Jan-19
You guys kill me! My nickname is Cloud11LMAO.

19-Jan-19
I have a 7 year old grandson that will clear out a room. It’s just horrible.

19-Jan-19
You cannot truly appreciate a good fart unless you're a duck hunter, wearing waders and a heavy coat on a cold morning. It's only got one place to go.

03-Sep-20
Just about everything gives me gas. Some intolerance make it severe. Meat is responsible for the silent but deadliest. It's the metheylmarcaptin created by the digestion process. I believe the richer the protein the worse it is. Fat content also plays a role. Its all natural. I like to let them know on a first date. I look them deep in the eyes and say, " hey... I'm a human being and I fart so be prepared for that.

03-Sep-20
Venison isn’t bad, but with a Big Mac I can bend over and crap through the eye of a needle at 100 yards. Just saying.

03-Sep-20
Hey Dan, maybe you should just take a long romantic walk on the beach for the first date. That is second date material right there.....hahahaha

03-Sep-20
LAWDY! :) BAHHHHHHH

03-Sep-20
The ONLY draw back I have on Venison is when I RUN OUT! LOVE the stuff!

03-Sep-20
Wife and I have been basically living on elk and deer meat, for the last 30 years. We do have the occasional "fart wars", during our "Netflix Chill Time"...but I think our systems have mostly adapted to it.

03-Sep-20
Absolutely nothing breaks the ice on a first date like a beer-egg fart. She sticks around for the second date, you have a winner.

03-Sep-20
I feel better when I eat wild game. Beef makes me fatigued and gives me headaches. My dad lived to 87 and his heart cath in his 70's showed zero coronary blockage. He attributed it to all the deer and elk we ate over the years instead of beef.

05-Sep-20
I was several posts into this thread before realizing it is now 7 1/2 years old. There are some hilarious posts on here - proving that fart humor is indeed timeless!

I’m all out of venison, but thankfully bow season is only one week away. It’s time to re-supply the freezer and begin “enjoying” those deer farts again!

05-Sep-20
Pretty much the only red meat I eat is venison. I’ll eat at least 6 deer a year with no problems, but I usually only use olive oil, salt and pepper. It could be the soy sauce you’re using.

• Sitka Gear