old buck 22-Mar-21
The last savage 22-Mar-21
altitude sick 22-Mar-21
Bowfreak 23-Mar-21
altitude sick 24-Mar-21
Mint 24-Mar-21
SDHNTR(home) 25-Mar-21
30-Jul-16
Something I always wanted to try. Looks like a blast but I bet it isn't easy.

31-Jul-16
Before all the surfers played golf here in Hawaii, now they bowhunt!

31-Jul-16
Shane is a good guy.... hunted with him when he first started bowhunting a few years ago. He was hooked on the rush pretty fast, eyes like saucers and great stories coming back from a hunt....

Actually several things in common WRT the adrenaline... well, without the drowning thing...... Almost all the guys I hunt with surf. I CAN surf.... kinda like I CAN play golf....

31-Jul-16
razorhead - I know they have whitetails in Costa Rica, but are you allowed to hunt them?

Is there any kind bowhunting in Costa Rica?

31-Jul-16
Kauai! Both the surfing and bowhunting are spectacular

01-Aug-16
I just read an article about Shane in the Surfer's Journal (my only surfing connection anymore for 51 weeks a year...), sound like lots of the Hawaii guys hunt too.

01-Aug-16
Yep most surf, I was a "sponger" used to compete too, used to watch Dorian dominating the kids division. Growing up there you do everything from the ocean up to the mountains year round from a young age so you get a pretty experienced in a lot of outdoor stuff.

01-Aug-16
I've surfed a few of those rockslides in the high mountains....... but I guess that's not what we're talking about here

01-Aug-16
Two words for bowhunting and surfing: South Africa.

Jeffrey's Bay = some of the best waves on the planet.

02-Aug-16
I grew up at Trestles too. Good memories there. I never thought the mountains would end up more important than the water, but they did.

02-Aug-16
Same here Ike, give me the mountains any day!

02-Aug-16
Do both and really dig both. Surfing gets your arms and shoulders very strong, and it's a very smooth exercise (unless you eat sh!t in the pit and dislocate it, which does happen). As far as the rush, I consider them separate but equal. Closing to within 20 yards on a big game animal and launching a good arrow is right up there with paddling over the ledge on a big, dark, surging wave. Both very much the zen of right then - you aren't thinking about anything else in the world.

Downside - surfing has more than its share of d-bags and a-hole localism. Some of it is too little resource for too many people, but anyone who hunts public land knows that competition and IMO hunters almost always deal with it more diplomatically than quite a few surfers. Then again, many surfers are pretty wet behind the ears, if not in years than in life experience. Both sports could benefit from focusing on generating a bigger pie rather than fighting over what slice you get.

03-Aug-16
"I grew up at Trestles too. Good memories there. I never thought the mountains would end up more important than the water, but they did."

Remember seeing pics of the line up at Trestles, long sets wrapping around, must have been a good time, can only imagine the crowds now days. Yes surfing is becoming very crowded everywhere like public land hunting, watched it grow, not much secret spots left.

Seems like I spent half my life in the water surfing and spearfishing but bowhunting took over and the mountains became more important to me too. Lived 5 minutes away from the beach but an hour from most hunting and did way more hunting in recent years. Now i'm landlocked, never thought I could be, but enjoying the mountains makes up for it.

03-Aug-16
"I grew up at Trestles too. Good memories there. I never thought the mountains would end up more important than the water, but they did."

Ain't that the truth! I still miss surfing a ton though! We used to camp at Trestles once or twice a year, had lots of fun. I lived near Rincon though, and a good winter swell dawn patrol there is hard to beat. For the crowded times my buddies and I would beach launch our RIB and go surf Hollister Ranch and Cojo...good times, but I won't ever move back to California.

04-Aug-16
Don't forget Australia when you think of surfing and hunting. I have surfed and hunted for the last 35 years all over the east coast.

Just think; Queensland's Gold Coast home of the Superbank right hand point and Mick Fanning's local spot, gets fantastic waves from February to May/ June which coincides perfectly with the Red deer and Fallow deer rut in the Brisbane Valley just a few hours drive away.

With the exchange rate the way it is it would make a fantastic family holiday were you could surf and hunt.

22-Mar-21
Surfing and hunting is another kind of sport. It is much more fun and exciting than just archery. You could try it by yourself. Frankly speaking, my husband likes it a lot and every year they traditionally hunt with his friends. Honestly, I find it dangerous and too extreme for me. I prefer to inflatable paddle board to the side. Indeed, it is difficult for me to keep balance and not fall. I can't imagine how it is possible to concentrate your attention on a fish and more than that kill it staying on the board.

22-Mar-21
I was stationed at Pearl Harbor in 79 and was a very average Haole surfer. I don’t remember any good Haole surfers then. They were all locals. Anyway, one particular visit to Waimea Bay was nearly my last day. It was the peak winter season and the beach was closed. There were a handful of locals on surf larger than I had ever been on. The lifeguard told me if I went out there he wasn’t coming after me. Being a stupid bullet proof young man, I said I wouldn’t need him. After a few sets I got in trouble after being held down too long. I had maybe one more wave I could hold my breath through and that was it. Next thing I knew there he was with his board getting me out past where they broke. He without a doubt saved my life. I had no right being on those waves, they were way over my skill level. Until you’ve been in one of those bone crushing, grinders, it’s hard to imagine the power and danger in those waves. Now when I watch big wave surfing. Especially Shane. I am In awe of their skill and daring.

22-Mar-21
Having great waves to ride makes it much easier, i surfed Tamarindo Beach in Costa Rica, great sets of waves,..one after another, after another

22-Mar-21
Scuba or snorkeling with a speargun or a sling is more a kin to bow hunting than surfing. I've done all three but only bow hunting remains. I wonder where Peg and Kathy came from?

22-Mar-21
Thread title reminded me of this clip from the Movie "Top Secret":

22-Mar-21

old buck's embedded Photo
old buck's embedded Photo
When archery season opens in Florida it's usually in the 90's but we also tend to get hurricanes swells in Sept. as well. Decided one morning to surf instead of battling heat and skeeters. Nice clean head high plus waves. Came home showered and hit the woods about 3:00. Didn't even have my camo shirt on I so hot after getting my stand up and while waiting for some sweat to evaporate this little button buck came by.

22-Mar-21
Id like to see the rest of that trucks paintjob Old Buck......

22-Mar-21
Tank & Old Buck. Now That’s a lifestyle

Elkmtngear. What’s next shooting a .22 While cross country skiing

23-Mar-21
Jeff,

Top Secret is one of my favorites. So many hilarious parts of that movie. A guy can probably watch it 10 times and still pick up on something new.

"In women's tennis I always root against the heterosexual."

24-Mar-21

altitude sick's embedded Photo
One of my spear hunting ‘Cuda
altitude sick's embedded Photo
One of my spear hunting ‘Cuda
Two feathers, I agree.

24-Mar-21
Here on Long Island the best waves are in the fall so bowhunting with my recurve won that battle.

25-Mar-21
I can’t quit either! I NEED both the ocean and the mountains in my life. Can’t imagine life without one or the other. Fortunately I’ve been thoroughly blessed by both!

• Sitka Gear