BoggsBowhunts 03-Jul-19
JTreeman 03-Jul-19
Curt Wells 04-Jul-19
Ambush 04-Jul-19
Tonybear61 04-Jul-19
Tall Paul 08-Jul-19
Tall Paul 08-Jul-19
07-May-17
Sounds like a goofy question but if like a good hunting watch. Anyone recommend any?

07-May-17
I tossed all my watches and use the iPhone 6. That and The apps it allows me does it all.

07-May-17
Charlie, my iPhone is my alarm clock, but my watch is much more exotic...a $9 WalMart special. Ha!

07-May-17
How about a Rolex? I hear they hold up even after gutting an elk.

07-May-17
I hate stuff on my wrists. I got a wrist watch with Velcro about tens years ago that I would put on my right shoulder strap of the many backpacks I'd be wearing when out hunting. Setup to just look down to see what time it is.. It was also Walmart special. Still not sure how that battery lasted that long. But I also have my phone and sometimes my GPS with me. Ed

07-May-17
Probably should have posted this on Rokslide.. or in the elk forums.. iPhones won't hold up on extended backpacking hunts and cheap watches are just that..

07-May-17
I bought the Casio Protek (PRW 3000) last year and have enjoyed it as a relatively cheap option. I wanted a lightweight solar powered ABC watch and it fit the bill. I especially like the tilt backlight feature for quick reference at night. The only nit I have against it is the face is mineral and not crystal, making it more prone to scratching. During my search I was also considering the Suunto Traverse Alpha but didn't want to be limited in terms of battery life, and it seemed quite a bit larger (don't have any direct experience with that one though).

07-May-17
I use a Garmin vivofit I think it is. I have to have a step counter for the fitness part of my health insurance for work so it has a step counter calorie counter and sleep analysis part as well as a watch and date. It was about 45 bucks on amazon and is truly water proof.

07-May-17
Aren't you guys worried about the scent collected by a wristband that you wear every day? I don't even wear my wedding ring hunting due to scent control.

07-May-17
John, absolutely. I only buy watches that have rubber wristbands. That's why they cost $9. Otherwise they'd be $7. ;-).

As for being reliable, I've never got less than a couple years use. Actually, I've never had one quit working, and that includes wearing it to work everyday. Only thing that breaks is the band. I figure $9 every couple years or so won't break the bank. lol!

07-May-17
I have an in-expensive watch on my bow riser. I can monitor my calling sessions length, how long between bugles, and have dont have to move my arm to see what time it is

photo P8310041_zps9e66fd14.jpg

07-May-17
On a 5 to 7 day elk hunt in the backcountry, you do your best for scent control but typically your scent control becomes the wind direction

07-May-17
Second vote for the Casio pathfinder/ triple sensor watches. They have altimeter/ barometer/ temp/ alarm/ AND a compass. I use the compass more than anything. Don't rely on it and carry a real one in my pack, but much more handy than digging it out.

07-May-17

woodguy65's embedded Photo
Luminox 3000/3900 series
woodguy65's embedded Photo
Luminox 3000/3900 series
I'm brutal on watches, never had one last more than a year, no matter price.

That said, I've had this watch for 3 1/2 years. It has a rubber wrist strap, waterproof, and the hands and number glow in dark.

07-May-17
Haha, scent on a wrsitband....why can you still smell a fart if you're wearing scentlock pants??

Hunt the wind and wear whatever tactical jewelry you want

07-May-17
Haha, scent on a wrsitband....why can you still smell a fart if you're wearing scentlock pants??

Hunt the wind and wear whatever tactical jewelry you want

07-May-17
Wyobullshooter ... and Zim ... I was just trying to stir the pot, a la Cnelk ... I wear a $12 Timex from Amazon and when it quits working, I order another. I do like Cnelk's bow-watch, though. I think of doing that myself every time I see it.

07-May-17
Timex Indiglo with a plastic wrist band (no scent-yeah leather can stink, a lot).

I like it because it has a light, and the tick, tick of the second hand reminds me how quiet the woods are an not to exceed that noise level when animals are in range....

07-May-17
Deertick, I figured that was the case :) all in good fun... As another point of reference, Aron Snyder (aka elk reaper) recommended the Casio/triple sensor watches and I've found his recommendations to be spot on.

07-May-17
X2 on the Luminox. On my second one in 30 years, third if you count the one I traded for a Datson truck 35 years ago.

07-May-17
Sun comes up I hunt. Get hungry I eat. Tired I nap. Sun goes down I stop hunting........

07-May-17
I switched to a pocket watch years ago. I didn't like the face showing on the top of my wrist, so would turn it so the face was under the wrist, but didn't like it being right around where my arm guard ended.

07-May-17
Never had any need for a watch when hunting. When it starts getting towards dark, I head back to camp.

07-May-17
Sun comes up I hunt. Get hungry I eat. Tired I nap. Sun goes down I stop hunting........

07-May-17
I wear a garmin gps watch most of the time just so I have a back up GPS. I don't use the GPS function all the time just save camp as a way point just in case. It does work well in finding a saved way point plus I can wirelessly send way points to it from my hand held unit. If I don't have that I usually wear the cheapest Citizen watch I can find with the Ecodrive just so I never have to worry about changing a battery.

07-May-17
My cheap watch, ($16 at Walmart) has been running for six years on the same battery. Loses about a minute between time changes. I don't know what anybody wants out of a watch except the time, maybe the date, but mine does that.....

07-May-17
I use a couple of cheap electric pocket watches. When I'm in a stand or blind I hang it up were I can look at it with out moving my head or my arms, then I don't worry about unnecessary movement to tell what time it is.

07-May-17
There is one that has never failed me in all my years. I have never forgotten it, never had the battery go dead or forgotten to wind it. It comes up every morning and goes down every night. It is the only watch I have used in many years. Right now, it tells me, it is 5:38 p.m. That means in 2 hours-15 minutes, it will be bedtime. Eight hours later, it will be time to start my week. If my watch fails to come up, I'll just cancel my plans.

07-May-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

07-May-17
Suunto Ambit 2. Been using it for years and very happy with it. Great for Triathlon training, hikes,etc. It is a bit large, but has lots of functions that are useful and easy to navigate.

07-May-17

LBshooter's embedded Photo
LBshooter's embedded Photo
X2 woodguy65, great watch.

07-May-17
I have never had a band on any brand last more than a month. But, I been carrying a bandless Timex iron man in my pack for about 20 years. Same battery. God Bless

07-May-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I purchased this Casio Shock resistant watch in 1987 and wore it on my first elk hunt in Colorado in 1989. Other than a few new batteries and wrist bands, it keeps on ticking and has been on every hunt since then. No doubt there are lighter and better watches today but hate to upgrade when it has served me so well. my best, Paul

07-May-17
There is something to be said for the most inexpensive watch you can buy and replace it when the battery goes dead. I have been through a number of them and often wear them for yard work and when gardening. I am in love with my Luminox which I can read clearly in low light or the dark and easily time things with the rotating bezel. The have a plastic band and will tolerate getting wet and being washed. That said, there is a Citizen line of watches that has a SOLAR battery that lasts 6 months on a charge, and that means just put them in the light and not in a drawer. They NEVER run out of battery life at an inconvenient time like on a hunting trip out of town. They are not cheapies but neither are they expensive as things go, and are easily found at deep discounts on the internet.

08-May-17
I have a Casio G-Shock Gulfmaster that I wear for elk hunting. I've been wearing it the last 2-years. The isn't 100% accurate even when calibrated to the correct barometric pressure when compared to my gps. it does pretty good with vertical feet, just not starting elevation. It is usually off by 200-400'. I also was just gifted a Suunto for my birthday, and will probably be wearing it on the mountain this year.

08-May-17

BULELK1's Link
I too do not like one on my wrist, so I went with this one about 5-6 years ago and clip it to my backpack.

I am very happy with it.

http://www.deergear.com/product/Mens/Accessories/Watches/Whitetail-Extreme-Clip-Watch/pc/2431/c/2451/sc/2510/155308.uts?refineByCategoryId=2510

Good luck, Robb

08-May-17
I'm a midwest whitetail hunter. There's really only 2 times I need to know, dawn-thirty and dark-thirty. I used to wear a watch but I rarely looked at it. I leave my cell phone in the truck now and just go "natural". The sun is good for that. And the battery never fails.

08-May-17
If you haven't been convinced that the sun is the only watch you should be using, I like my Casio G-Shock Riseman. I doubt they make the exact model still. Anyway, I paid much less than what your typical Suunto or Luminox goes for and have been pleased with performance. I bought it 7-8 years ago and it has the solar charging battery, altitude, barometer, temperature, etc.

08-May-17
Lumi- Nox or just a plain Timex expedition. Depends on how coin you want to drop. or Do what I did... Get both:)

08-May-17
WV, same thing... they weren't lying when they said timex takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. Ironman watches were tits back in the late 80's early 90's. I always had one floating around my pack.

Rarely do I wear a watch, too much relfection. Heck I don't even like translucent nocks!

08-May-17
They are new on the market, but seem to have a lot of promise- TIMEX !!

Rugged, dependable, wide variety and can be purchased at Walmart.

Keeps times just like a Rolex- just a lot less $$$$.

08-May-17
any one that doesn't go tick ,tick ,tick while in a tree stand.I can hear it am sure the deer can

08-May-17
I tried the watch on my riser like cnelk but found it threw off the balance of my bow and I was hitting 3/4" low left at 120 yards. I had to completely readjust my stabilization system.

08-May-17

Ursus a. Horribilis's embedded Photo
Ursus a. Horribilis's embedded Photo
I'm hell on watches but I've had this one a couple years. Hunted bear and gators with it and not a scratch on it. Heavy and just tells time(no fancy functions) but it's as tough as an anvil.

08-May-17
G-shock Rangeman

09-May-17
Casio GShock. Awesome watch that is cheap and idiot proof.

13-Feb-19
G Shock here.

13-Feb-19
G-Shock.

13-Feb-19
Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

13-Feb-19
Timex with Indiglo. All I have ever used hunting and fishing.

13-Feb-19
Apple watch, it even tells me when I'm having a heart attack during a vertical climb.

13-Feb-19

Trial153's embedded Photo
Trial153's embedded Photo

13-Feb-19
fitbit

13-Feb-19
For adventure hunts, I usually stop at a Walmart and buy a Timex before a hunt. When the battery goes dead, I throw it away and buy another one. For the local stuff, I just use my phone.

13-Feb-19
Timex Ironman Triathlon does everything I need and the watch band survives my abuse.

13-Feb-19

SoDakSooner's embedded Photo
SoDakSooner's embedded Photo
Garmin Fenix 5x Sapphire. Not cheap by any stretch, but it is also my running, biking, etc...gps. I actually lost my regular GPS in colorado this year and it did an ok job of helping navigate. I just picked up last summer.

That said, my go to in the past was a cheap timex digital. Only time I ever wore it was elk hunting. For treestand stuff I just use my phone.

13-Feb-19
LumiNox - love it

13-Feb-19

BGbasbhat's embedded Photo
BGbasbhat's embedded Photo
Had G Shocks and they are nice and functional, but I was tired of seeing them. They got too trendy. I like something chunky, and the Timex Expedition Shock has done pretty well. Wristband is a little narrow, but has done well.

13-Feb-19
My employer gave me a "Fossil" wristwatch as my 30 year service award. Smartasses.

13-Feb-19
Suunto Traverse Alpha

Got it off Camofire and saved $100.

13-Feb-19
A cheap Timex with keep just as ACCURATE time as a multi-thousand dollar Rolex.

I prefer one that has a black non-reflective casing and a black wristband.

13-Feb-19
I do same as kota. Been using a $10 Walmart special for years.

13-Feb-19
The last two years at work half the place was on the fitness craze. Through a promotion we wore Fitbit for activities tracking. I got to where I was enjoying seeing how much I walked and how many calories I was burning while hunting. The Fitbit was playing out and with some gift cards I replaced it with a Garmin Instinct. More than what I need and still learning how to use it. Besides fitness setting,it has compass,GPS tracking, can mark a waypoint, weather alerts.

13-Feb-19
Suunto core. I wear a watch all the time. I use it for work. Also like it for hunting. I like to have an alarm clock for backpack hunts and don’t like to rely on a phone as the battery on smart phones dies So quick

13-Feb-19
Timex Expedition with Sports Strap - cheap, comfortable and dependable.

13-Feb-19
I also have a Luminox and love it.

13-Feb-19
I’ve had a Citizen Eco drive for the last 5 years. I got it because of the EcoDrive thinking it would last forever. Turns out there is a capacitor inside that lasts about 5 years. I’ve not had the ambition to find out how much it is going to cost to fix...

14-Feb-19
Dang Shrewski you kidding?? I've got an Eco Drive as well. Beautiful watch that never needs a battery. Was looking at Apple watches though.

14-Feb-19
I picked up a Nixon Regulus on sale last spring, I'd put it in the G-shock category for a good dummy-proof and tough watch, but it is better looking. I tend to destroy watches, but this one has held up really well though a lot of hunting and activity so far.

14-Feb-19
I have 2 walmart cheapo black ones. I used to referee LOTS of soccer and moving up the ladder, you had to have 2 watches, well because they wanted you too. I've had 2, replaced the battery in one when I took it hunting last year, gave the other to my son. For about $10 it's logged 1000s of miles on soccer fields, been on an elk hunt, 2 mulie hunts and still going strong

14-Feb-19
For what it is worth....among the SEALs that I know the g-shock seems to reign supreme. I also see some of them wearing the Sunnto Core which has built in altimeter and compass. As regards the Sunnto Core, I have one and I particularly like the compass setting as I am following a compass heading a lot of times and this makes it easier to stay on a bearing but I do find it hard to read sometimes. I also have a luminox but the tritium dial only lasts about 10 years and the one I have is almost that old. It's nothing like it once was in the dark that's for sure.

14-Feb-19
I always had luck with a good Timex watch, they just keep working,,,,, as far as scent control, since I do not believe in it, I don't worry about it,,,,, you either have the wind and the thermal God is on your side, or you don't

14-Feb-19
I use two $20 Walmart watches. One is set to standard time, the other to daylight savings. Works for me.

14-Feb-19

Swampbuck's embedded Photo
Swampbuck's embedded Photo
Good old timex, nice and lite and thin too

14-Feb-19
Watches are for work. I stopped wearing one when I retired. 'Sun time' is close enough for real life. If you really need to know the time, we all have phones, cameras, and other electronic gizmos handy.

17-Feb-19
I love it when a guy asks for advice on a product and people respond by telling him to not own that product. Anyway, I have a Casio Pro Tek that I wear everyday and have owned it 10 years without replacing the plastic band or the battery (solar powered). It has a compass, baramoter and thermometer. I don't use those features much, but I do use the sunrise/sunset feature. It's also not a huge watch like a lot of the other outdoor watches are. If this one ever quits working, I'm buying another one.

17-Feb-19
You're sitting on stand and keep moving your hand so you can check the time? Deer love you! We used to but those cheap little stick-on 'dashboard' clocks and stick 'em on our risers. Could check the time witha glance to a hanging bow. Now I just don't care what time it is, when it gets dark enough I bag it ;-)

17-Feb-19
OK, I'll put it another way. Why do you want a watch? A watch displays the time. Many of the responders highlighted features in addition to time. Are you really asking what type of wrist computer, or wrist mounted smart phone relayer to recommend? Either way, why do you need continuous and immediate access to it while hunting?

17-Feb-19
Ziek...I’ll pose this question: Why is EVERYONE always asking me the time when I’m the only one wearing a watch on a hunt? For me it is convenience. In a treestand, it’s lack of movement to simply look at my wrist vs. digging in a pack or a jacket. I don’t wear one in everyday life, but while hunting it serves a purpose for me. When I forget to wear one on a hunt, I feel naked...

17-Feb-19
I understand that kota-man, although precise time is irrelevant to me when I'm hunting, unless I need to know when to STOP hunting because of some other commitment. I try to avoid that because you NEVER know when the hunt might end. But the OP asked about a "hunting watch". I still don't understand why he would ask that. A watch is a watch. It's used to tell time. That's a universal function for ANY activity, and the different technologies (analog, digital, self-wind, electric) have been around long enough that any will do just fine. If he just wants a watch, any one he thinks is pretty will do. If he's looking for other functions being incorporated into watch-like devices, we need to know what he's looking for to make a recommendation.

17-Feb-19
The obvious point here, is not what watch has the most functions that work, but what does the wearer want or expect out of it. There are multiple outdoor watches with great functions like gps, compass,altimeter but then there is user friendly function and of course whether it is intended to be there as a back up or primary. Reliability is probably the main issue and that can be an interesting subject. Battery powered watches can run out at inopportune moments, mechanical watches can break or conversely never run down the battery. There is even the growing number of solar powered/ solar rechargeable battery watches that run 6 months on a charge. Do they need to be water proof or just water resistant. How readable does it need to be at night. How badly does one really need to know the time when hunting. When I go on a trip I take my favorite, AND a back up.

17-Feb-19
A hunting watch might be something that includes the ff.: barometer; altimeter; compass; navigation ability; tracking your steps; and, ability to mark waypoints.

My Suunto Traverse Alpha has these things, and the waypoint marker is a big plus when hunting large tracts of land. I used it just yesterday on my first jaunt into a National Forest - marked my starting point to navigate back.

17-Feb-19
Correct, Steven.

My watch has a flashlight in it that is handy at night in a hammock or tent. It’s waterproof at a depth that is sufficient for me.

I use it as a backup mostly. If my phone or GPS goes down, it’s another backup that doesn’t add weight to my pack. Of course, the watch is even better trusted along side my old school resort (a map and compass).

17-Feb-19
If it's durability you're looking for, G-shock is second to none. You can find it at Walmart or online at all price points. My brother got me one while in Texas for the Air Force, that's their official watch. They're pretty much bomb proof!

17-Feb-19
"cheap watches are just that" Yep, but that's the point. All I want them to do is tell time.

17-Feb-19
G-shock, expedition, good watches. They have several models within the lines. When watch shopping I make sure I take my reading glasses off before picking a model. If the numbers aren't big enough to see without my glasses I look for one I can.....

sucks, but that's the way it is..... =D

17-Feb-19
I have never been comfortable wearing stuff on my wrist or fingers. I have used a clip on type watch, usually on my pack but can put it wherever it works best. If I'm out hunting or fishing I can usually figure the time close enough.

17-Feb-19

4FINGER's embedded Photo
4FINGER's embedded Photo
X2 PantherBone on the Suunto Traverse Alpha...Look up what is does...for a Hunting Watch is pretty Dang Good...Make sure to take a Solar Charger in the Alaska Outback if Your there more than a week ;) ...4finger

18-Feb-19
I've had a Luminox for around 4 years now, supposed to be water resistant to some unreal depth, I believe 200 meters or something like that. I noticed when it got real cold in the deer stand it would build up condensation on the inside somehow, this went on for a few years until this summer. I was doing some swim training with it and only got down to 14 feet or so and it was completely waterlogged on the inside. "Dried" it out for a few days but there was still a lot of moisture in it. Took it to a local jeweler to replace some O Rings on the inside but don't trust it enough to take it into the pool again. Noticed it still had the fog issue this winter as well. Other than those issues it's been a good watch. Recently there's been a few moments where it was randomly off by 6 hours or so, possibly from damage caused by water in the pool. I know that obviously water resistant isn't waterproof, but my cousin has had G Shocks down to 16 feet for hours on end with no issues. My next watch will be a G Shock.

18-Feb-19
Holy crap 4Finger does that thing double as a frying pan when in camp....that`s not a watch....that`s a fricken clock!!! lol

18-Feb-19
Similar to my first thought Franklin.

18-Feb-19

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Basic Timex watch. I like a watch for several reasons.

Illuminated watch hands-Easy to check the time at night. Hunting- When hunting until last legal hours, I know exactly when I need to be done (Or when I can shoot in the AM). When I shoot something or do a calling sequence, I police myself and know exactly how long I need to stay put. (Or space my calling sequences.) Lastly, when using a watch with hands, you can find north (w/o a compass or GPS) A little field craft folks!

I buy one about every 5 years. Currently on Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kxnrQSNNfc

18-Feb-19
4FINGER, I think you're supposed to wear that on a big gold chain around your neck. ;-)

18-Feb-19
Suunto Traverse Alpha for me great watch

18-Feb-19
It has to have Space to Hold All the Stuff it does LOL...And I thought You Guys were Outdoorsmen ;) hahaha...its All Good to each their Own...4finger

02-Jul-19
I got a Suunto as a gift... might even be the same one as 4FINGER. I'd take my Casio any day over it. The band configuration is pure junk... basically the same thing as a $5 watch at Walmart.

02-Jul-19
Fitbit Charge II or better, plus the app on your phone tells you a whole lot more about your 'journey' each day than a plain old watch, and it does have a clock. No miles hiked, heart rate, your route, etc. mapped out on your phone. GPS, its not bulky either.

02-Jul-19

mikewood's embedded Photo
mikewood's embedded Photo
For years I would wear this cheap watch on a clip from Walmart. They would last a couple years and cost about twelve bucks. One clip even had a led light in it. I would clip it on my front belt loop. Easy to see and access and kept me from pulling up layers of sleeve clothing to see a wrist watch. Then my wife gifted me a nice wristwatch so I wear it now.

02-Jul-19
Luminox, got my first on when I was 19 at the PX in Pendleton. Got my second one about 5 years ago and still going strong. Beware of knock offs, they aren’t waterproof.

03-Jul-19
Well...I've been all about Luminox watches for years and they haven't failed me on a long hunt yet. I try to stay away from metal (case) watches on hunts just due to their coldness at night or various times. Synthetic cases are much nicer and lighter on my wrist, particularly if it's a somewhat larger watch. I'm 100% about instant readability in a watch. I returned 2 Luminox models last year because they weren't easy to read (time) at a glance. And I've been studying a G-Shock Mudmaster for a while. I like the idea of a lighted dial and an alarm.

03-Jul-19
I just recently got a Garmin Instinct, so far so good. My last watch broke down on me about a year ago, and I spent a fair amount of time researching reviews before I picked the Instinct.

It has a bunch of "functions" if your just looking for something to tell you the time, my .02 would go with something inexpensive.

03-Jul-19
I haven't worn a watch since I've had a cell phone. Can't stand wearing jewelry. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't even wear my wedding ring.

In the backcountry I just use the clock on my GPS. If that fails for some reason I just listen to the weather radio! ;-)

03-Jul-19
Best watch and Easiest way to carry a watch bow hunting. Go to Walmart or someplace with inexpensive watches, get a woman's (because it is small) "Analog" type watch, water proof down to 30 meters, with a "leather or plastic" wrist band. Cut the band leaving about 1/2 to 3/4 inches below each band attachment pin. Cut a small piece of double sided "foam" tape, peel "one" side of the tape and attach it to the back side of the watch. You do not need to remove the covering of the other side. Then find a spot on your bow riser to place the watch. Use camo tape of some sort and attach the watch to the bow by taping over the short pieces of the watch band. The foam tape you placed on the back of the watch, acts only as a cushion against the riser so no rattling . The reason I suggest an Analog watch, is because in cold wet weather I have had digital watch screens become unreadable. You can always read an Analog Watch. You will always have your watch easily readable on the riser, you will always have a watch when you have your bow with you, and you don't have to dig down through clothing to your watch to read it. One thing people don't think about is metal conducts cold, there is no fatty insulation on your wrist, the cold watch is cooling your blood before it gets to your hand making your hand colder. I have done this for years on all my hunting bows. I picked up this trick from a instructor going through a Bowhunter Education class MANY years ago. DANNY

03-Jul-19

Irishman's embedded Photo
I wear a garmin vivoactive hr. It has been very reliable. It works as a GPS and I've used it to mark locations and direct me back to where I was. It keeps track of heart rate, elevation gain, speed etc. I download tracks of where I have been and put them on google earth. It is re-chargable and has a life of several days. It recharges quickly in my car or at home.

03-Jul-19

sdkhunter's embedded Photo
sdkhunter's embedded Photo

sdkhunter's Link
I've been using the Soleus Ultra Sole for a number of years... I've replaced the battery 2-3 times? Starting to show it's ware (I wear it every day) but think it will get me by one more season elk hunting... For the money, I've been pleasantly surprised...

03-Jul-19
GShock Mudmaster. I owned a Luminox but started having trouble with it after 5 years or so. Love the GShock so far and it even has way more features than the Luminox did

03-Jul-19

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
All Rolex all the time! I wear 4 on each wrist like this fella. Got a deal on them from “a guy” down on the corner, totally legit....

—Jim

04-Jul-19

Curt Wells's embedded Photo
Curt Wells's embedded Photo
There are many occasions when I need to know the time, like the end or beginning of legal shooting hours, or when I'm tucked in a sleeping bag on a mountain and I want to know how much longer I have to sleep. I have a Reactor with tritium face so I can see what time it is in a dark sleeping bag, or while hiking into a hunt location in the dark. I want to be able to see the time with a flick of the wrist rather than having to dig out a cell phone and light up my face. I also bought a Leatherman Tread bracelet, which features a wide array of tools from wrenches to screwdrivers on the band. Then I adapted it to my Reactor as a watch band. Did that about four years ago and sent a photo to Leatherman and now they're doing it. It's heavy but functional and I always know the time. Works for me.

04-Jul-19
I don't like wearing a watch and haven't for years because I find them irritating. And the bigger they are the more irritating they are, to me.

My last and present watch is a ten year old Timex something or other. I swear looking at a watch uses battery power! Everytime you get the time from it, it uses a bit of battery power. My cheap watches always lasted about two years before the band went, then another two years and the battery dies. My last watch (ten years old now) sits in a drawer, I just checked, it's still running and on time!! Shouldn't have checked, now I'm down one. : (

So my conclusion is that watches are like the male genitalia. Experts tell us that men will get about one thousand ejaculations per penis inch so the average is about nine thousand in a lifetime. So even if your bigger than average ( fancy watch) you may be proud and using it more , which could easily lead to a premature loss of function.

I'm happy to be just an average guy with an average watch.

04-Jul-19
Timex indiglo with plastic band. Provides enough light to find zippers on blinds, and what not.

08-Jul-19
The Casio F-91W. Hasn't changed since 1989. Thin, lightweight, battery last 10 years, highly water resistant, Alarm, extremely accurate, $10 all day at Amazon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F-91W

08-Jul-19
But the wrist band is not for big wrists; barely goes around mine.

• Sitka Gear