kellyharris 08-Nov-17
W 08-Nov-17
kellyharris 22-Nov-17
kellyharris 26-Nov-17
kellyharris 26-Nov-17
kellyharris 26-Nov-17
kellyharris 27-Nov-17
16-Aug-17
I am thinking about purchasing some land adjacent to our lease and I am deciding what to put on it as a camp.

I am seriously moving towards a modular or manufactured home. I know to please Michele its going to have to be something nice with a big kitchen.

I am done staying in a camper and the cramped space it offers when the weather is fowl.

This would be more of a small home 1300 sq. ft. or less.

I just started researching mobile/modular/manufactured homes so I do not know much about any of them.

Just wondering if any of you live in one of these or have lived in several of these?

Here is what I have as for getting the camp together.

1. County water

2. Free excavation (Includes boring machine to tap into county water)

3. Fairly flat ground

4. Electric along road. (free hookup from power company) unless I go underground then about $1,500.00

This will not be a permanent residence for us but possibly could be used for a few months in the summer for my dad and his wife.

What I have seen that I like is 3 bedroom ranch with 2 full baths and a open floor plan from the kitchen.

I have seen cost anywhere from used/repo from 24k to new for my budget $80K

I would love to hear your reviews if you have ever owned one of these types of units.

Thanks

16-Aug-17
I have a couple buddies who have done a pole barns. Half of it is for storage for atvs, tractors, etc... and the other half is finished for living. I think you could build one fairly cheap and spend the rest of the money making the living quarters very nice.

16-Aug-17
I'm with destroyer350, look at the future if you ever decide to sale a barn will increase the value of the property. A trailer house will bring down the value of the whole neighborhood.

16-Aug-17
I'd look into the large metal sheds. I think you can get around a 5000 sq foot shed put on there in the 30-35K range and then insulate/finish half of it for living quarters and leave the rest for storage/parking just like Destroyer said.

16-Aug-17
Lol there is no so called neighborhood. 7 houses on one road over 5 miles long

16-Aug-17
My question if will this still be a property you would enjoy if you lose your lease. Deaths, divorce, family squabbles, can all make a smooth lease go sour at some time in the future.

16-Aug-17

kellyharris's Link

16-Aug-17
Txhunter58 yes as it's clos to hocking hills Ohio plus I own a Harley so it would offer a place for great weekend rides.

Plus my old neighbor owns 90 acres less than 4 miles that I have lifetime access to hunt.

The lease is 100% in my name and all members write a check to me ;0)

16-Aug-17
My wife , kids and I did the camper thing in northern Michigan for 5 years . I purchased a new modular home and put it on a crawl space , it has 2x6 construction and tons of insulation. I had to get the roof with the greater snow load rating being in northern Michigan . So far the house has been fantastic and very energy efficient with propane as the heat source. So my house ended up at around 125k after electricity , well and excavation. I wish I would have done it sooner in life but it has been a great decision.

16-Aug-17
If you have an 80K budget, I would go with a nice log home that you can finish on your own. I have a pole barn and they attract mice like nobody's business, place starts to smell odd. Modular homes are made cheaply, eventually look like crap, and they are a maint headache. If you want this place for a long time Kelly, consider a long term plan to make it what you always dreamed of. My .002.

16-Aug-17
my buddy owns a Clayton home down at lake Cumberland and has been very pleased with it.

BigRich have you any big issues to share or (If I had to do it again I would...........?)

For some reason I cannot attach link but there are some nice 1 story 3 bedroom floor plans I like here

https://www.claytonhomes.com/find-a-home/Cincinnati--OH--45202?distance=100&beds=3&baths=2&minPrice=25000&maxPrice=75000&minSquareFeet=0&maxSquareFeet=26600&isMultiSection=true&sortMethodId=1&numberOfItemsPerPage=12&startingIndex=1

16-Aug-17
Kelly, is there a chance you could talk to your lease buddies and work out some kind of trade - labor for lease payments - then as was mentioned, put up a pole barn and have them assist you in finishing part of it off inside?

16-Aug-17
As others have said if you plan on keeping it for 20 years, do a pole barn with living area. Then you have a skinning shed and place to store your plot tractor.

If you think you might lose your lease and want to sell it, I'd go modular.

16-Aug-17
Man o man that's exciting! Good luck with whatever you decide.

16-Aug-17

drycreek's embedded Photo
Yellow pine on the inside with cedar cabinets.
Yellow pine on the inside with cedar cabinets.
My wife wouldn't go for a wood stove !
My wife wouldn't go for a wood stove !
Two bedrooms, two baths, but could be enlarged easily.
Two bedrooms, two baths, but could be enlarged easily.
Kelly, I had this built a few years ago. It's a simple build, metal sides, metal roof. The frame was built first using treated 4x6s on each corner, at each side of all windows and doors. They are four feet in the ground concreted within a foot of the top. The slab was then poured and the concrete flowed into the post holes so that it's all tied together. It's hell for stout. Insulated with spray foam and our electric bill is very low. Much, much better than the fifth wheel we had before. We keep the thermostat set on 78 for the high and 68 for the low so it never far from comfortable summer or winter. I had a 20'x40' carport over the trailer and I moved it back behind the house, and poured a slab. That's where my tractor stays. Also have a 10'x20' shipping container in one corner of the shed where my golf cart and tools stay locked and dry. The 30'x40' house, the 20'x30' carport, and the slab under the 20'x40' shed all cost about $100k.

16-Aug-17
Drycreek that's awesome looking.

After I posted this I have found some repos that were way discounted.

I did a lot of research as well here is how these go as far as by quality and structure

1st place Modular Home

2nd place manufacturered homes

3rd place mobile home.

16-Aug-17
Kelly, no matter what you do, a mobile depreciates, never appreciates. something the others normally won't do.

16-Aug-17
Lol showing this thread to Michele.

She just replied, our house is paid off in 2 years and we are going to have a bad ass setup out at camp. There is Deer camp, Mushroom camp, Beer camp, and soon to be Harley Riding Camp!

The cool part is my tap in to water is free, my electric from power company is free if I use poles and underground service is $1500.00

I can hook up the electric myself along with my plumbing and septic system.

I also have all excavation service free also.

Still trying to figure out how much trucking one of these things will cost above selling price.

So the cost will be reduced a lot as others would pay for that stuff to contractors.

This Saturday we are going to a showroom to look at modular units north of Columbus

16-Aug-17
Maybe a park model would be an option?

16-Aug-17
Kelly, I did a good bit of mine myself also. My community water was 500 yd. from my house site. I rented a ditching machine and dug the ditch myself. I used the plumber that plumbed my house to hook up the water and lay my water line. I used my backhoe to dig the hole for the septic tank and the ditch for the field line and a friend and myself did all the septic system hookup. I had dirt hauled in and built my house pad and put it on grade. I graded out the driveway approaches and spread the rock on it. I saved several $ doing this, but this is how I've made my living all my life and that's about the extent of my talents. Oh, I hung the blinds too, if that counts :-)

16-Aug-17
A 24 by 40, single story house with an open kitchen, living room, and den, with one bath, one laundry room, and two bedrooms could be built for $50,000 if you finished the floor in a vinyl rug or pallet boards and, the walls with drywall. Get them to hang it and you go up one weekend and mud and tape, sand the next day, mud again the next Saturday and sand that evening, mud again on Sunday and sand again, mud and sand the third Saturday, then paint it on Sunday. Or, you could tape and mud the first coat then orange peel the walls and paint the following weekend. They look nice. With a pallet floor they'd look great. Throw in a good flu and a wood burner and you could heat it cheap.

No way I'd buy a pre manufactured house when I could build one. But, I've drove nails my whole life doing it too. Metal roof too. If you are willing to do the things you could do like paint and put the floor down, you can get it done considerably cheaper than anything you've considered so far. Good luck and God Bless

16-Aug-17
I don't see enough bedrooms for the rest of us! Ha Ha

16-Aug-17
Modular homes have come a LONG way in the last decade. They aren't as bad as they used to be. I do concrete work and we do mostly house basements occasionally for modular homes. Most people seem satisfied with their pre-fab house although around here you can have a house stick-built cheaper. If they have a floor plan you like, I'd research the company a little bit and see what type of materials they use. When it comes to those types of houses, you really get what you pay for. Since it's more for camp and not your primary house I see no problem with it. As people have said tho, you can always build a nice shed with a living quarters. Here in Iowa the way they tax that you can really save some money on taxes that way. So maybe something to consider. More and more people seem to be doing that around here in rural areas. Good luck with what you decide!

17-Aug-17

BULELK1's Link
These are very nice Kelly and I think your Mrs would be very happy.

Good luck, Robb

17-Aug-17
The only thing I would have done differently is to have a basement instead of a crawl . I purchased a Rochester home because of the local company in town sells them. The door trim is a little cheap and the plumbing fixtures are too but I just upgraded with the builder to put better stuff in. The biggest issue I had are with the sub contractors not showing up to do work!

17-Aug-17
I would give the pole barn with a finished living quarters a serious look. The living quarters can be built as nice as your budget allows and you also have a place to keep the quads and Harley.

There also may be some property tax advantages to having the outside look like a pole barn versus being a house.

Have fun building, we just finished our cabin on our hunting ground and I can tell you we blew our original budget away!! But then again, I wouldn't change it for anything! Lol!

17-Aug-17
Exciting! Enjoy

17-Aug-17
Kelly, check out D&W Homes. They have 3 locations in SE Ohio, and one in Point Pleasant WV. My brother and his family purchased a modular from them 5 years or so ago and My family purchased one about 3 years ago. My brother's is a story and a half, 3 bedroom, 2 bath with a bonus room in the upstairs. Mine is a 1,920 sq ft ranch 3 bedroom, 2 bath. Modular is very different than manufactured when it comes to long term value. We both chose to do part of the interior finish work ourselves. They offer several "brands" or builders. Prices vary across the different builders and options chosen. I actually took pieces from ranch plans of two of their builders, put them together and had the third one build it based on cost.

We use natural gas heat and our gas and electric bills are very low compared to the house we moved from, which was only half the size of our new home.

I recommend the modulars, given you do your research and look and the models available and understand the fit and finish of what you may be purchasing.

17-Aug-17
Kelly, so true. On new house build.

$25,000 water $5,500 road $7,000 power $3,000 propane

I won't tell you what the build cost. You are doing it right. With living all over, I never had a house the way I wanted it until I was 67.

I've seen some of the new modulars and their construction has vastly improved. You should go to the factory to see what they do.

17-Aug-17
Kelly, check out D&W Homes. They have 3 locations in SE Ohio, and one in Point Pleasant WV. My brother and his family purchased a modular from them 5 years or so ago and My family purchased one about 3 years ago. My brother's is a story and a half, 3 bedroom, 2 bath with a bonus room in the upstairs. Mine is a 1,920 sq ft ranch 3 bedroom, 2 bath. Modular is very different than manufactured when it comes to long term value. We both chose to do part of the interior finish work ourselves. They offer several "brands" or builders. Prices vary across the different builders and options chosen. I actually took pieces from ranch plans of two of their builders, put them together and had the third one build it based on cost.

We use natural gas heat and our gas and electric bills are very low compared to the house we moved from, which was only half the size of our new home.

I recommend the modulars, given you do your research and look and the models available and understand the fit and finish of what you may be purchasing.

17-Aug-17
Well, if your luck is like mine then my advise would be to not put any effort into building anything nice, long-term, or jump through costly hoops with codes and local laws....because it , along with your dreams, will all go to hell, down the drain, about 1 hour after some AR enthusiast buys land down the road and invites all his tannerite-loving buddies over every weekend! Worst thing that could've ever happened, but it did to me and could to you, so next time (if there's a next time) my camp will have wheels! I couldn't sell my "dream cabin" fast enough the day that a-hole moved in and destroyed the sounds of silence. Quieter at home in the city..

17-Aug-17
WV_bowhunter those are some nice floor plans!

Honestly folks I first wanted to have a medium sized Gambrel Shaped barn and a small matching barn for mower, quads etc.

But as I get older I want a more posh place to stay as does Michele. If its really nice I know I have a much better chance of getting Michele and Morgan there more often!

From our home it's right at 1 hour and 45 minutes to camp.

The property is low and is close to the bedrock in that area so a basement may not be an option? Personally I would like to do a full basement as a place to store all of our stands and stuff. If I was able to build a basement I would need a lot of backfill and I very seriously doubt I could do a walkout basement?

I will be going back out to the property soon and I will post some photos of this parcel!

17-Aug-17
Pretty exciting for you Kelly. I'm heading to look at a parcel of land for ourselves early next week.

17-Aug-17
Deer run cabins ad popped up on my FB just an hour ago.

17-Aug-17
Kelly, I started to buy some land with a cabin and was warned that methheads may occupy, cook, and strip and vacate if left unattended in a county adjacent to yours.

18-Aug-17
Pigsticker, yes that has been a concern.

I will be having a surveillance system installed for that very reason.

The person who has sold me the property lives directly across the street from where this cabin will be. Plus her brother has his home at the end of the field as well.

I am hoping that will help reduce those issues?

18-Aug-17
I know a lot of people that have gone the shed/house route. very happy.

https://www.worldwidesteelbuildings.com/

18-Aug-17
Kelly, good luck on the camp. I come up your way every November but never thought about dropping by your camp. Maybe this year if the moon and stars align I may ping you on a rainy day when I am scouting for new territory. I have been looking for several years to by land or at least lease some.

18-Aug-17
I did the same thing I had my cabin -home put on a basement with a walkout.Then ended up retiring and selling my main home.I never looked at housing as an investmant anyway so all is good.

18-Aug-17
I did a modular from Clayton Homes. Designed the entire floorplan myself and they built it. Mine is 2,120 sq feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and an office. It sits on top of a full basement. When I finish the basement it will be 4,240 sq feet! They actually built floor trusses for it instead of 2 X 8's. I have 9 foot flat ceilings through the whole home and it's an open floorplan. The basement will be 8 foot ceilings because of ductwork. I wish now I would have poured 10 foot walls instead of 9 foot. I back filled the front and east side. Front will have a brick retaining wall with a concrete porch and on the east side I will build a garage attached to the house.

Those projects will be later since I have been building pipe fence around my property, hunting season starting, fall butcher season coming, and my third child due in a few weeks. Projects just seem to take forever! Lol

21-Aug-17
Well we never made it up to the property this past weekend? Shooting for this Saturday get there early so we can get home for the Big fight Saturday night.

With this being a cabin I want to stick with something no bigger than 1400 sq. ft.

I talked with my buddy who is doing the excavation for free he and I are going out this weekend to get measurements on a basement. The cost from a crawl space to a basement is about 12K additional and he said the only big issue because of the grade of septic system I will not be able to put a bathroom in the basement. That is not a deal breaker.

If I do a full basement that would make this place around 2500 sq. ft. That is a lot bigger than the small cabin I originally wanted but since my dad and his wife will be spending months there then with us being there, my sister and her kids, and my step brother and step sister and their kids I think it will be a thing that needs to happen.

Plus our oldest gets married next September and he and his fiancé have said they want her to get pregnant on their honeymoon if the planets align correctly!

I did do a deep dive into the product knowledge of Mobile, Manufactured, and Modular over the weekend and I will be going 100% Modular. Those things look to be built like tanks!!!

Last year I wanted to build my own since I own a roofing company and all 6 of my roofers were framers at one time. Cost would probably be much cheaper but the modular would proved a boatload of less headaches.

I also talked to Jason (excavator) also on lease. My septic should run $2200-2500. As he said the water hookup is free except the county tap in fee which is $550.00.

AEP electric gives a 5K construction credit unless I do underground and my dad and I both feel underground is the way to go that is $1500.00

I have not gotten bids but Jason and I believe the basement should run roughly $15000.00 to $18,000 pouring a 9ft. wall.

I will put in a gravel driveway and Jason says we can haul gravel with one of his dump trucks along with any backfill that is needed. I only have to pay for fuel for all equipment so we are thinking top end $2500.00

Jason is one of my closest friends and says he will do all of this he just wants a bedroom in the basement or a small mini-barn to make him a bunkhouse so he has his own space.

The acre I bought has one tree on it and its a small walnut tree. So it's full sunshine all day! The lot is fairly flat with a slight slope.

Guys I really appreciate all of the ideas and such. I have to admit this is getting exciting just doing the research.

More to come...

21-Aug-17
I would recommend looking into pouring a 10 foot basement. I did 9 and it will work with a drop away ceiling but I will have to get a little creative when it comes to covering some of the duct work. There will also be a support wall running down the middle to support the home. I put in a piece of Ibeam with two posts to make a 20' X 30' open space for an entertainment room and the rest will be bedrooms, food storage, exercise room, etc. You will also have to put in windows for fire escape. Mine doesn't have a bathroom downstairs either because I didn't want to mess with putting in a lift pump to get sewage to the septic tank. You are right about it being built like a tank!

21-Aug-17
That sounds good,with that many people you will need the room.The basement will help it's value if you ever sell it.

12-Sep-17

kellyharris's embedded Photo
Ok Bowsiters I think you have swayed me!

I am really liking this look right here.

I am going to build a 30x30 with the bump out at 15x15 and enclose the right side of the front porch to make a 10x15 bedroom.

I will put the stair case in the left corner as you walk in at 90• that way I can have three bedrooms up stairs and 2 downstairs.

So far I have about 90% material costed out and I am right at 32k

That includes the foundation at 30x30 plus 15x15 bumpout and slab first floor.

As I said my dad and his wife (lol cannot call her stepmom she is just a few years older than me) will have plenty of room plus with having a sister and 4 step siblings and 8 grand kids it should be enough room for a long weekend?

I also plan on building a carport/shelter that can cover 4 full size pickups side by side with each have one pulled behind the other!

12-Sep-17

I plan on starting in the spring

12-Sep-17

12-Sep-17
Very nice Kelly! Make sure the porch is big (wide) enough for family time.

12-Sep-17
It will be ten foot deep and I plan on screening the entire thing in.

For picnics and big dinners the shelter will accomplish that.

With me enclosing the right side of front porch that gives me a 10x15 bedroom and that gives enough room to put both my dad and I on first floor with both bedrooms have a private bathroom.

Mine and Michele bathroom will have a door that is open to common area for first floor use to everyone.

This little cabin idea has turned into 5 bedrooms 3 full baths!

I originally wanted a 16x24 gambrel cabin at the most, lol now it's around 1700 sq ft.

Once it's all said and done it will be well worth that extra room I believe.

I will have a main common area both upstairs and downstairs

12-Sep-17
Very nice. You'll enjoy it I am sure.

12-Sep-17
You are doing the right thing. Now, I drive nails like a nail gun. Will trade work for hunting. :^)

Good luck man and be patient during the building of this. God Bless

12-Sep-17

With a slab floor this is my plan for the first floor. That way muddy boots will not be an issue. Let the mud dry and sweep up.

lol wv. mountaineer remember I own a Roofing and siding company.

It's easier to build new than to fix a house that is damn near totaled because a 150 year old tree cut it in half.

The part I am really excited about when this is all done is being in a structure versus a camper we have camped at this lease we hunted the same property since basically 1980 and we stayed in a fiberglass Apache pop-up for 10 to 12 years before graduating to a different camper and went thru several campers throughout it'll be nice to have a permanent structure that can actually not walk on top of each other in

13-Sep-17

Ok here is the floor plans I have come up with.

My buddy Brad the architect will provide several others.

I have not run the math but in my head if the left side of screened in porch going into kitchen is 15 deep I am not sure the front is ten? I will do some algebra and figure it out l. Lol or let Brad do it.

I am going to start shopping Craigslist to get a bunch of the materials needed.

Hopefully I can get my kitchen and other materials toilets, vanities, lumber from there and save a living t more than I have costed out?

I costed it out so far from Lowes Retail and thru my Roofing company I get 15% off and then Menards or Home Depot will beat that by 10% or the Lowes will match their pricing as long as its all apples to apples.

Here is my first floor layout.

13-Sep-17

Hell that photo sucks hold on?

13-Sep-17

13-Sep-17

Screw it I cannot figure this iPhone out and why it's always posting photos upside down! One more try?

13-Sep-17

Lol here is second floor.

I guess to view these stand on your head or do somersaults

I am going to build 40 inch wide stair case which is 6 inches wider than a standard staircase. It will help getting furniture to the upstairs as well.

14-Sep-17
WV Mountaineer I will take you up on that offer of driving nails. We have some good Bucks on the lease!

I have 2 passload nail guns and will most likely buy a 3rd one.

When I get close I will definitely reach out!

How far are you from Chillicothe, Ohio?

14-Sep-17
Kelly, look up a place called Grandview Outlet. Shouldn't be that far of a drive for you over in Ohio. They have all kinds of materials, almost anything you can think of. I made the trip over from WV for some tin once because of the price. While there I saw a photo of a house not far from where I live that had just been built. I asked the workers there about it and they said the entire house was build using materials they had.

Not sure exactly where their materials come from but what they have in stock is it. The bad part is them maybe not having enough of what you need. Depending on the item they may or may not get more in.

14-Sep-17
Just put a yurt on the parcel and call it a day

14-Sep-17
Lol zac

14-Sep-17
Kelly, I said that tongue in cheek. I guess I'm going to have quit doing that as the last two times I have, I got invited. I don't scoff at the invites at all. I just don't have enough time to hunt here most years. Much less traveling. With that said, I do appreciate the offer and we'll see what time brings on the hunt offer.

Now, I've driven nails for a good portion of my younger life. Dad and uncles were all contractors. So, between ball and school, I was swinging a framing or roofing hammer. And, I like helping people. So, you holler when you get ready. I'm about 5 hours away but, if you'll assemble a decent 5 man crew, we can likely truss that thing in one weekend if we aren't working too high off the ground. God Blesd

14-Sep-17
Modular? Lmao Those are for city folks who can't swing a hammer which these days means use a nail gun. I know too many horror stories about those shoe boxes to ever think about buying one too. Instead you should give me a lifetime membership to the lease and I'll bring down my truck full of tools and build something the big bad wolf can't blow down.

14-Sep-17
All good WV!

I have a 6 man roofing crew who I employee full time.

They will bang out the trusses on a Saturday.

Heck I am trying to see what price they give me to frame it all, drywall, etc. Also build the carport!

I have had my foreman working for me for right at 16 years and he is rock solid! I never have to check or have issues with him on any job.

When we do have the rare tree split the house in half we usually get together go through it discuss and get a game plan together!

But to be honest 99.9% of the time either I or my son sells the job, orders the material, and he shows up and does the hard stuff. Then we go back walk through entire project with customer and get payment.

I am hoping with Serbian Shark (One of my besties) owning a roofing company and framing I can get his butt out there that week. I plan on starting in March/April. I figure work 8-10 hours then pig hunt until dark and have a blast doing it and making more great memories!

14-Sep-17
LOL I would Joe (Mule Power) but remember its a club not just my private lease (Although I make sure all checks are written to me for a reason ;0)

Don't worry you are still on the list when there is an opening!

Joe just think riding the Harleys all thru South Eastern Ohio/West Va. and having that camp right there.

As Mrs. Hottie said AKA my wife There is an order of structure out there.

1. Deer Camp.

2. Beer Camp (LOL I've mostly quit drinking myself altogether).

3. Harley Camp.

4. Mushroom season Camp.

15-Sep-17
Steel building to include an enclosed living area (aka apartment). Remainder of structure used for equipment storage, workshop, cleaning rack, etc. All under one structure, lock & key, limited entry.

15-Sep-17
And low maintenance

15-Sep-17
It's awesome! Low maintenance. Thank god you didn't do a log house as someone suggested.

16-Sep-17
Very good choice Kelly.

Enjoy it for years and years for sure

Good luck, Robb

16-Sep-17

Sandbrew's embedded Photo
Garage and RV storage under with living space above.
Sandbrew's embedded Photo
Garage and RV storage under with living space above.

Sandbrew's Link
Kelly - Go big or go home. My next project might be just like the one in the link. Let me know when it's done I'll bring some beers. Sandbrew

16-Sep-17
Yeh Sanbrew we work for the same company and unfortunately I am not on every single Blue Moon commercial (OK I was asked to do Coors Light landfill free commercial but declined) nor am I remotely at your pay-grade!!!!!

That is sweet!

I always thought turning a barn into a house was cool but I never imagined it would happen. Hell Michele would never go for living fulltime in a barn like structure!

it will be a nice get away for sure!!!

16-Sep-17
If you put it on a slab and do not require a trans-vap system for septic and do quite a bit of work yourself you may get close to 80 grand but the quality of the modular will not be that good in that price range. I just priced out a 3 bedroom 2 bath home put on a foundation 26x52 and total turn key will be about 145K. Shawn

08-Oct-17

This is a photo of a 32 inch but its identical to my 52 inch
This is a photo of a 32 inch but its identical to my 52 inch

kellyharris's Link
Well yesterday was our Harris/Paytes family reunion.

My cousin is a custom homebuilder and wants to trade helping me for some wild pig hunting opportunity! :0)

He text me last night and said (Cuz send me over what your thinking you want built and I will draw up your blue prints and all and I will help when the time comes to help you throw this thing up!

So I shoot him my specs at a cabin 30x30 with a 15ft. deep front porch all the way across the front and a 15ft deep by 1/2 width.

Within minutes he replies OK Kelly we are making your camp 32x32 because there is absolutely no reason to make so many cuts and waste that much wood.

I did tell him that I do want the second floor to have a small loft area so the heat from my wood burner can get to second floor easier without roasting out the folks on the first floor. He agreed 100% on that.

The wood stove I traded a gun for is a made by the Appalachian Stove Company. Its 52 inches and can boast 58,000 btu

08-Oct-17
Neat. When you starting?

08-Oct-17
March or April

08-Oct-17

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
This is a hunting cabin, what you guys are discussing is a place for beer drinking, card playing, women and children.

08-Oct-17

08-Oct-17
We bought a RitzCraft 3 be, 2 bath modular home 1740 sf., came totally finished with appliances. We love it. It was the cottage model.

08-Oct-17
Looks like you're well on your way Kelly. I know y'all will enjoy the comforts that a nice "cabin" will provide. I'm past roughing it if I don't have to.

09-Oct-17
lol Drycreek I have been roughing it for over 26 years in this brewery.

We swing all 3 shifts every 5 weeks gets rough quick.

After retirement 34 months 25 days (But who is counting)? I don't plan on roughing much of anything!

Bob I would say your POW place is a cabin where that pictured above is a cardio/hunt shack! Lmao do you commonly get nose bleeds way up there?

15-Oct-17

Black iron pipe for handrail for stair case and for the loft area as a safety rail looking down onto the 1st floor.
Black iron pipe for handrail for stair case and for the loft area as a safety rail looking down onto the 1st floor.
Interior barn doors for bedrooms and bathrooms.
Interior barn doors for bedrooms and bathrooms.
Most likely not this rusty but corrugated barn metal to do the shower stalls and the vanity base
Most likely not this rusty but corrugated barn metal to do the shower stalls and the vanity base
I watched about 7 videos on how to make interior barn doors. Looks pretty easy! Here is another view of some black pipe for hand rail and safety rail
I watched about 7 videos on how to make interior barn doors. Looks pretty easy! Here is another view of some black pipe for hand rail and safety rail
Ok since I have narrowed what the cabin will look like a Red Dutch Barn with white trim and a black metal roof.

I have come up with some ideas on the interior to make the barn theme flow!

15-Oct-17

If people get to muddy 4 wheeling there is this thought for an outside shower?

It would be super cheap to build and I can put in industrial ball valves on inside bathroom to keep this from leaking

15-Oct-17

txhunter58's embedded Photo
First floor
First floor
Some really good ideas here. I really like the pipe railings and the sliding barn door especially. We are getting ready to build a cabin as well and this is our floor plan. Outside dimensions are 42x32. For those that check my measurements, the upper right bedroom should be 14 x 15 (not 16). Also the porch and balcony will have a killer view of the river below and the opposite mountain.

15-Oct-17

Second floor
Second floor
We are building this out of SIPs ( structural insulated panels). That means no trusses so easier/cheaper to make a second story. The side walls will only be 10 ft but with a 7/12 pitch roof the "wall" height upstarts will start at 2 ft and go up to 11 ft at the peak. The roof is so steep because this will be at 9000 ft in Colorado so want to let the snow slide off easy. Feel free to critique the plan as this is not set in stone yet. Will be my wife and I 95% of the time, so that is why I didn't worry about a second bathroom downstairs. It may be obvious, but the living room has a cathedral ceiling.

15-Oct-17
Nice!

21-Oct-17
We are building this out of SIPs ( structural insulated panels). That means trusses so easier to make a second story. The side walls will only be 10 ft but the "wall" height upstarts will start at 2 ft and go up to 11 ft at the peak

21-Oct-17
I wouldn't do those concrete floors you pictured [and I do some of those in my business!]

They are just hard...no give...and they get cold unless you add hot water piping- a PITA.

If I was doing a slab, I would thin film insulate and either plank floor it or if you want the most durable use those Vinyl planks. Quiets the place down too. The VP's look pretty good...almost like hardwood floor. I use them in some of my worst rentals and they wear like iron.

08-Nov-17

Ok met my excavator last weekend at the lot. We are going with a monolithic pour with an insulated barrier so foundation and slab is all one pour. Much cheaper that way. Much warmer also.

Also my excavator who is on my lease and one of my best friends and also owns a motorcycle dealership and has those painted floors he says he wished he never did that his sales guys are sweeping the floors 3-4 times a day. He said it looks great but shows every ounce of dust and with this a hunting camp he said I would pull my hair out trying to keep it clean

I am going to use some type of laminate floor like Beendare is suggesting that has a very rustic look to it. It does have a small film of insulation but basically no R factor it’s to help level our imperfections in the sub floor and noise reduction underneath planks.

08-Nov-17
Wow looks like fun kelly, sorry I have not followed along better, but as a lurker I get distracted and don't catch all the posts as they go by. So my .o2 after it's worth has gone by. We own our hunting land so slightly different than a lease. But we chose a different route. We built a one room log cabin with a loft. plumbed and wired a kitchen and bath. We put on a large deck, and added septic. Very comfortable for the two of us and we throw up cots if we have company. If it is a hunting weekend, we can put several cots in the loft and life is good.

then we committed to building a cabin for each of my kids as a wedding present. In the process of building the first now, They get a 16 x 20 stick framed box with windows doors loft and a small deck anywhere on the 700 acres. I will hook up the electric but water is their gig.

The intention is that the log place is the central hub to meet and eat etc. Making for a smaller place to keep up and clean and maintain. Then the outlying cabins for the kids are their own gig for upkeep and cleaning and such. At this stage of life less is more. If the overall plan works we can reduce the house in town to a condo or townhouse for less upkeep and live part time from the cabin, along with hosting holidays and such at the cabin.

My experience with owning the cabin in the woods is you have to visit at least once every two weeks to keep things from going to *&&&(. Flies, mice, rats, bats, trespassers, bears, skunks, and all that thrive in the woods will take advantage of a cabin that sits too long. I beg my friends and family to go use it for weekends and what not, it is in far better shape when it is being used than it is sitting empty. I would not want it much bigger, it would just be more upkeep. Granted things are not finished out and would be easier upkeep if they were finished better, but "its a cabin not a lodge" That was the request of my kids, do not build a lodge that we have to hire someone to upkeep if we move out of state when we start adult life, keep it a simple cabin so we can walk away and live life, and return when life allows.

ok my .50 not my .02

oz

08-Nov-17
Thumbs up Kelly. I dunno what the conditions dictate in that area but its usually a good idea to place a moisture barrier under that gravel base. 6 mil plastic works.

Your spec doesn't show any steel rebar...I wouldn't pour a foundation like that without it.

Our soils here are about 2%-4% expansive. Pouring a Slab as you are I would do a 6" slab with #4 bars at 12"oc....18" is probably fine. The perimeter Grade beam 12"-18" thick minimum, more is better as it acts as stiffener, and a min of 4 bars in the GB probably #5's if it were my place. With concrete foundations...its never a good idea to scrimp.

Conditions during the pour and how its cured very important with concrete. Aren't you guys getting into some cold weather back there? Pouring in cold conditions or over frozen ground is a bad idea. At the very least I would paper the slab after the pour.

FYI, there are a lot of concrete guys around here that aren't formally trained...they learned from a guy...who learned from another guy. For example; The actual mix is very important. There are a lot of guys here using those tow behind a pickup grout pumps. You have to use a smaller aggregate and wet the mix down significantly to get it through the hoses....and the mix comes out the consistency of a milkshake...which does make it MUCH easier to work with but also weakens the mix appx. 25% right out of the truck.

Sorry for the armchair QB comments but you asked- grin

08-Nov-17
FYI, we put down the so called by Nebraska Furniture Mart 'Luxury Vinyl'. It comes in planks just like real wood. It glues down. I should say we had it installed, on our entire lower level recreation room and bar-about 1,000 square feet. Installed right over the cement floor which originally had carpet. FWIW, we love it, and it does hide the imperfections if minor. We had 2 labs at the time and had to keep stuff down over the carpet. This stuff is impervious to scratches from their claws and just about anything else. Very easy maintenance, and so far very durable. (3 years now). We love it!

We have a very small cabin with a wood floor that I painted with porch paint, but keep cheap Wal-Mart rugs on top of it. I am thinking this summer of putting down the same flooring so we can keep our boots on and just vacuum and mop the floor when done. I think you will be happy with your choice Kelly, but definitely take the advice about insulating the floor. We did not do that at the cabin and I use a electric heater aimed at the floor just to keep it comfortable when it gets in the 20s and lower. Tough to motivate yourself to go outside and hunt in the frigidness if your feet are already cold before you put your boots on:) Hard lesson learned!

08-Nov-17
Not starting until March or April and yes throwing down the moisture barrier.

Also rebar 5/6 on footers and mesh in slab. I just copied and pasted a photo illustration of a monolithic slab. Also the floor will be insulated.

I am not building this on the lease I purchased 1 acre from adjacent land owner to lease. Has electric and county water.

I have a Appalachian wood stove for secondary heat and a heat pump and ac being installed as well.

Making the stair case to second floor 40 inches vs standard 36 inches as well

Kitchen is being increased a tad as is front bedroom both 15x15 so I have less cuts

08-Nov-17
in the north east alot of people use the Kit log home camps...they have some nice ones for a good price

08-Nov-17
Good stuff Kelly....if it were a couple years down the road I would have packed my tools and helped out.

Alas...two kids in college at the same time has delayed my retiring....the whole working for the kids thing. A note on that; Funny how two kids that always got along well can become bitter rivals due to their Universities playing each other in what was to be an important game for both teams on the 25th. Now the hubbub has died down a little as my daughters team dropped out of the the top 25 ...and my sons team bumped up to 3rd.

08-Nov-17
Yeah we just got done paying for the boys college there 28 and 29 The oldest gets married next September now Morgan starts after next year And is informing me that she wants to go out of state to college she’s looking at Alabama pretty hard for whatever reason I do not know but she is.

I said hell why don’t you try for Harvard or Princeton it’s almost the same damn money!

We are going to take all the appliances out of our kitchen and put them in the cabin and then upgrade our kitchen because I hope to sell it when Morgan graduates high school.

Back to the cabin I’m getting my heating and air done for around $1500 or I should say cost I’ve given my buddy about 20 referrals for AC units and furnaces so I is doing it at cost plus he hunts usually a four-day weekend with me every year.

One of my best friends it was in my wedding and a roommate for 10 years owns one of the largest flooring companies in Cincinnati so that’s all it cost my tile my flooring everything.

And my cousin just found out about my cabin he just gave away 20 windows that were less than three years old rehabbing a home he said he should be able to rehab another two or three homes by next April

He said I can have anything and everything I could use for this cabin kitchen appliances cabinets windows doors so that should help save a lot of money

All the interior doors are going to be barn doors with 40 inch openings

I even plan on putting barn doors in front of the entrance doors there’s three in the front but that way I can lock them down and just make it a little bit more secure

08-Nov-17
I’ve got a “cabin” custom built on a 10x40 trailer house frame. The best part is the covered porch all the way across the front and the attached carport on the end. Hard to beat a cabin in the woods. Good luck.

22-Nov-17

Score!!!

All custom upper and lower cabinets, double sink, island, and countertops for 800.00

Be nice in the cabin

26-Nov-17

Ok so the above post also included the sink fixture, it’s a basic single handle Moen but at least it was included in the sale!

I talked to my cousin today and we discussed insulating the cabin/barn house.

Here is what he came up with. Also we talked about venting and I am going to install two decorative gable vents and a cupola as well with a weathervane on top!

26-Nov-17

Or this for my Heritage lol
Or this for my Heritage lol

26-Nov-17

I am not certain as to what the actual cupola will look like but this gives you an idea!

27-Nov-17

Ok I was thinking about redoing our kitchen at home and putting my current appliances in the cabin.

Well with the cabin having the custom mahogany cabinets I am thinking all white appliance would look terrible. All black would not look as bad but not as good either!

But the blend of the Stainless and the black will make that kitchen look awesome!

I had budgeted $500.00 for a stove off Craigslist, yard sale, etc. Tomorrow morning I will have Michele order this stove off amazon to the house. So that’s another $84.00 under my original budget!

I am glad I rented a 10x20 storage unit!

• Sitka Gear