EmbryOklahoma 06-Oct-17
05-Oct-17

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Curious to size indifferences and what your experiences are with different styles? I see a variance in materials. Is one quieter than the other? What size did you order per your boot size? Which style did you get and are they somewhat quiet?

05-Oct-17
I’ve had mine quite awhile, so can’t remember what size I ordered or specific style/material. I would think the bigger, the better. It can be a bit of a struggle to get them slipped over your boots if your boots are damp from the walk in, if they are too snug. They are pretty quiet in the tree stand as long as you’re not shuffling your feet a bunch. They work very well for me. I put them on as soon as I get in the stand vs waiting till my feet get cool. I also put a toe warmer in each one as well.

05-Oct-17
I have the bottom ones and seems like I just ordered by my boot size. The soles were a little noisy on stand so I glued felt material to mine.

05-Oct-17
I have a pair from years ago with the Velcro strap in front no back zipper. Also have a pair with he zipper. I order the XL's and as far as noise don't really hear it. The zipper pair bottoms are very delicate compared to my older ones. I walk in mine as long as there is snow on the ground , like to heat up the feet so it retains it. Also add a body warmer chem pack and your good to go.

05-Oct-17
Bigger the better, put them on right when you get into your stand. They are quiet enough once you are in your stand. Follow T-roy's advice above and you'll really like them. Since I bought mine a few years ago I've never owned or wore a pair of insulated boots again!

05-Oct-17
Same as T-roy here too. Don't use insulated boots anymore as well.

05-Oct-17
You just can't go wrong with them. As others said make sure they are big enough to put on easily. Think mine are Icebreaker brand or something like that. Can't beat them for all day sits in Canada.

05-Oct-17
These are head and shoulders BETTER than those IceBreaker boot blankets! The Arctic Shield actually REFLECT the heat back into your feet. THe IceBreakers were just insulated, and as such have to be thicker with more insulation. The Arctic Shield fold down compact and I could strap them to the top of my fanny pack and were very convenient. THe Ice Breakers take up 3x the space and are clumsy to carry. Had to hang them off my stand or pack when carrying and they were always catching on brush.

Now, I wear a size 12, so maybe in a smaller size it wouldn't be quite an issue. I got the XL and it is a snug fit with the zipper in the back, but works well. If I could get an XXL though, I would go with that.

05-Oct-17
I bought the ones on the bottom about 4 years ago. Great investment! I honestly can't remember the sizes, but I got the largest ones they had. Little bit of noise, but not anything that will cause an issue in the stand.

05-Oct-17
do you wear over your boots or take boots off?

05-Oct-17
Wear over the boots, typically. However, I have at times removed my boots and just wore socks inside the cover with hand warmers inside.

05-Oct-17
I have the originals with the Velcro strap and I used them for years. They're pretty big and fit over all of my boots but the bottoms have holes in them from years of use.

Last year I ordered the ones with the green on them in the top photo to fit size 10-11 boots. When they came they were way too small and there's no way they would fit over my boots. I actually spoke on the phone with the distributer and he alluded to the fact that they might have had a sizing issue with the manufacturer. He sent out the largest size and they fit but they're still snug. So a word of caution if you buy the top ones with the green, go big.

05-Oct-17
Thanks for the responses! I think I'll go with the XXL, if they have them. That would allow room to put in a larger toe/hand warmer, hopefully.

Rut Nut... which type do you have with a size 12 boot? What boot were you using wearing inside?

05-Oct-17
I have the camo style that look like the bottom picture. I picked them up at Cabelas or Gander years ago(can't remember which one) and they didn't have the 2XL in stock, so had to go with the XL.

I use them with a Rocky Prohunter boot that is about 12 years old or so. Don't even think they make them anymore. But they are a 500gr insulated boot. IMHO, that weight boot is perfect. I have a 1200gr pack boot that I don't even hunt in anymore now that I have the Arctic Shields. When it gets down in the teens and 20's I just use them(Arctic Shields) over my boots. If it's in the 30's the 500 gr are fine on their own. Then I don't have to wear a bulky, clumsy pac boot that is harder to walk in.

05-Oct-17
I have the top ones XL will fit my 13 rubbber boots but not my 13 leather ones . Love them so

05-Oct-17
I've been using them for years. I get the X-large and put them on in my stand. I also put a hand warmer in them. I also wear uninsulated boots. I especially love the late season and will sit my stand on zero days from dark to dark. My feet never get cold.

05-Oct-17
They work well in the North Dakota late season

05-Oct-17
I don't know what brand I have. But was told when I was getting them big by my friend that has them. I love them.. I now only wear uninsulated boots, that keep my feet from sweating when walking and then when sitting/on stand I slip them on. If really cold I'll put a set of hand warmer in them. No more wearing heavy, uncomfortable, insulated boots that make my feet sweat, when walking and then get cold standing.. Ed

05-Oct-17
Thanks again for all of your help. Think I will go with the 2XL for mine and large for the wife.

05-Oct-17
Braver man than I, Rick. Even if you do order the “large” for the wife, you’re suppose to say you ordered “ mediums” !

05-Oct-17
Well, it says 8-9 women's shoe should wear medium. So, I figured if I bought the large, she could put two warmers inside. At least that's how I'm selling it to her. :)

05-Oct-17
On sale at bass pro shop. $29.

05-Oct-17
Ive got the ArticShields. I wear a size 11.5 boot and bought the appropriate size base on their recommendations/chart. Lite weight and work great. So much so, i usually wear uninsulated boots all season long. Winter too.

I would think they would be a waste if using them with rubber boots though. Use regular leather booots with them. It also helps to throw in a handwarmer too. No cold feet for me.

05-Oct-17
I bought mine at Cabela's. Bought one size larger than they suggested. They work well if you put them on in the stand while your feet are warm from walking in. The extra warmer in the toes is mandatory if it is 20* or below.

05-Oct-17
I have the ones pictured at bottom. Just bought them based on the size chart. They work well, often times at a stand I will take my boots off and just slip into them.

06-Oct-17
Would this be something that could be carried along in a pack during the day for kids? If feet got cold, we could sit down and throw them on while we glass then take off for hiking ? Or too bulky and just better off for use in the tree?

06-Oct-17
Definitely! They fold down relatively flat. I actually strap mine to the top of an oversized fanny pack. They fold down to maybe 4" high for the 2 of them.

I'll try to take a pic of mine folded down when I get home.

06-Oct-17
I bought my first set years ago at the Minnesota Deer Classic. For the demonstration they put an Arctic Shield boot cover over one of your shoes and nothing on the other. They had 2 bins that you put your feet in and then they dumped dry ice into the bins on top of your feet. I was wearing basic uninsulated hiking boots and my foot with the Arctic Shield on it stayed warm and my other foot got really cold really fast. I was sold and bought a pair. I walked around the rest of the afternoon at the show and my foot that didn't have the Arctic Shield on it never warmed up.

06-Oct-17
KC, PM sent.

06-Oct-17

06-Oct-17
I wear a size 12 boot and have whatever is supposed to be for a size 12 boot and they fit great. They do help keep your feet warm, but only about 15 degrees difference I'd say. I put them on in the stand. I'd say toe warmers placed between two pairs of socks do way more than these things (although boot warmers only last 4 hours) and I've tried just putting boot warmers inside the Arctic Shields and I don't think it does much.

They're still definitely worth it though. I've worn 800 fill insulated pack boots and those are way warmer than regular boots with the Arctic Shields, but they make your feet sweat if you have to walk any significant distance, which is why I like the liners. I'm going to experiment with some caribou/seal skin mukluks this November. I hate being cold.

06-Oct-17
I ordered my wife the medium from eBay today for $20.50 and free shipping. I also ordered myself an XL from Bass Pro at $29.99, online. Free shipping if shipped to a BPS store... so, I had them shipped to the store 5 miles from our home. With $35 (also ordered b-heads) or more and "shipped to store", you get a $10 BPS gift card. So, I got two pair for around $43 if you deduct the $10 gift card. I'm such a cheapskate.

Btw... they want $49.99 at the BPS store. I know, because I took mine and my wife's boots in and tried them in the attic shield covers. :)

• Sitka Gear