elkstabber 13-Oct-17
Charlie Rehor 13-Oct-17
Pigsticker 13-Oct-17
White Falcon 13-Oct-17
KY EyeBow 13-Oct-17
bad karma 13-Oct-17
sfiremedic 13-Oct-17
10-Oct-17
Can you see chiggers with the naked eye, if so, what color are they?

10-Oct-17
Red

10-Oct-17
They are the Devil so of course the are red.

10-Oct-17

Hoyt59's embedded Photo
Chigger
Hoyt59's embedded Photo
Chigger
They're about the size of a pinhead but you can spot them if you're looking.

10-Oct-17

Hoyt59's embedded Photo
Chigger close up.
Hoyt59's embedded Photo
Chigger close up.
Here's a better pic!

10-Oct-17
Hate em. bad this year in SE o h i o

10-Oct-17
Cord you said that right!

10-Oct-17
Thanks KH. You hunt hard and work even harder. Enjoy your threads.. OK back to the Chiggers.

10-Oct-17
Rubbing alcohol!!!!!!

10-Oct-17
Bleach in bath water.

10-Oct-17
If possible shower as soon after outings with body lice shampoo. Yes Crab shampoo from the drug store. Works like a dream.

PS tell wife prior to bringing home in gear or leaving shampoo in shower after weekend off hunting with the fellas ! Trust me on this one........:)

10-Oct-17
LMBO!!! : )

10-Oct-17
Apply Vodka. Internally.

10-Oct-17
After encountering, it possible, take hot bath with pinesol in the water. Then, shower/wash off the pinesol. You may smell like a pine tree, but the chiggers will be dead and you will reduce the damage from the bites.

10-Oct-17
No joke about the lice shampoo, works for ticks also just follow the directions on the bottle. Been doing it for years, a bottle last for a good season. The store brand is cheaper and works but going with the name brand stuff is a guarantee. And yes I HATE the annual trip the the drug store to purchase the stuff, always a line of folks appear about the time you place it on the counter and the clerk can never find the bar code ??!

11-Oct-17
Thanks everyone! Bob

11-Oct-17
Pain and more pain!

11-Oct-17
They are a devilish little bug. Don't wish them on anyone!

11-Oct-17
I'm glad we don't have those little buggers in PA! ;-)

11-Oct-17
Is there anything you can use to keep them off of you to begin with? Great info above for getting them off of you. I will be getting the lice shampoo as well, but I sure would like to hear anything other than staying out of the woods that will aide in prevention.

11-Oct-17
Tuck your pants legs in your boots, your shirt in your pants and spray your clothes, boots, hat(not your skin!) with 0.5% permethrin. Works well for me for prevention.

11-Oct-17
Got into some chiggers only once and man it sure did suck. Ended up with bites EVERWHERE from my waist down. Wasn't even hunting was just walking around the wooded area next to my companies training facility that is the National Lake Shore of Indiana. Decided to spend my lunch looking for sheds and maybe a deer sighting or two. NEVER even considered or thought about chiggers. And Afterbite did not stop the itch.

11-Oct-17
Permithrin (sp) spray on your clothes, bug tamer pant and shirt under hunting clothes. Chigger bites cause big welts on me. Some antihistamines help with the itch and cream as well but that's only temporary. Spray is your best bet.

11-Oct-17
Like INbowdude said treat clothing w Permithrin prior to heading into the woods. Spray skin (especially waist line down past ankles) with bug repellent that contains as much DEET as you can find. Spray any other exposed skin except maybe face and neck. Lastly do the shampoo thing once home. Ticks and chiggers are pretty bad in SE Va and can make for a week or more sleepless nights for sure. Good luck

11-Oct-17
Took a nap in the gila. Yikes, that was a mistake. Had about 30 chigger bites the next day. No fun...

11-Oct-17
LOL I got eaten alive in the Gila this year too, they were even getting in at my neck line and getting consolidated where my bino strap went around my chest and back. I had some liquid bandage that I put on them and that seemed to help a little.........not

12-Oct-17
As a Missourian I know too well about chiggers. They never bothered me when I lived there and I was in the woods all the time. Butttt went back for a visit a couple years later and they literally ate me alive. I also lived in Arizona and even held our baptisms in the Gila River but never got chiggers there and didn't know chiggers were in the territory. Never too old to learn.

God bless, Steve

12-Oct-17
FYI: Permethrin is the magic solution to protect you from ticks and chiggers. The lice shampoo is just permethrin also.

12-Oct-17
They seem to like compressed areas like waist band and top of socks. I got some in a running shoe one time and they got between my toes.

12-Oct-17
My wife and I treat all our outdoor clothes with a very potent permethrin mixture they don't really bother me that much but they attack her with a vengeance.This yr I got us both a pair of Sitka gaiters.She sprays her and it really has reduced the chigger bites.She has always pulled her socks up over her pants and all the over preventive stuff but the gaiters really have helped.Lewis

12-Oct-17
Those damn things! A few years ago I went with two buddies to the TBOF state shoot in Ocala in March. Being from MN, March in FL was like jumping from winter to summer and I wore shorts. When we got to the shoot I noticed that I was the only one in shorts and wondered about that. Found out why in a day or two when the bites started appearing. Glad it is too cold up here for them. Will take skeeters any day over those little ba****ds.

12-Oct-17
Permethrin pre bite and Apple Vinegar post bite

12-Oct-17
The enemy!!!!! Hate them damn things.

12-Oct-17
About what date in the fall do they stop being an issue?

12-Oct-17
I went crazy dealing with chigger bites on my flight back to the States from South Africa in June. I had been walking in the grass looking for downed guinea fowl (last day fun) and with shorts I must have picked up a butt load of them. Did not get the total itching until I was at airport and ready to board flight so I was pretty much out of luck for the duration of travel home (36 hrs). I felt like scratching my skin off at times. Rubbing alcohol applied several times and worked into pores did the trick. No more shorts for me in the bush.

12-Oct-17
Tea tree oil lightly applied to the bites with a cotton ball works wonders. Just don't rub too much on or it will burn your skin. Only thing that's worked well for me.

13-Oct-17
Idyll: In southern Virginia I've seen chiggers from May through August mostly. Never seen them in October or colder months. Ticks I've found in every month and seem to vary greatly from one year to the next. Ticks and chiggers are closely related.

13-Oct-17
Idyll, first frost gone,

If you immediately take a shower when you come in you'll be ok.

13-Oct-17
I have had chiggers one time in my life. Bugs normally do not bother me and I never use repellent. That one time was during Columbus day weekend in Southeast Ohio. Once was enough because I was covered from my chin to my toes.

13-Oct-17

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
Use this on them!

13-Oct-17
Chiggers vs "seed ticks" vs turkey mites, I think they are all the same from a hunters standpoint. They are awful. Permethrin with knee high boots work well for prevention. I haven't found anything that works well as a treatment. The common thought in our area(KY) is that after the first hard frost, they are gone, I don' totally believe that any more. I found ticks on a deer I killed in January last year so I think they are around all year here. Prevention is key as with many other things!

13-Oct-17
Since permethrin, zero ticks, zero chiggers. I'm a big fan.

13-Oct-17
Got eat up during my elk hunt... damn naps!!

• Sitka Gear