Stubbleduck 19-Oct-17
tobinsghost 04-Dec-17
Brotsky 04-Dec-17
arbe25 04-Dec-17
Griz34 04-Dec-17
Scoot 04-Dec-17
Mule Power 05-Dec-17
18-Oct-17
Hello, I'm trying to deciding between the Sitka Fanatic and Incinerator suits. I'm left handed and my biggest question is the functionality of the Fanatic for a left handed person as the long collar and range finder holder are on the opposite side an might interfere with shooting? My other question is - does the Incinerator Jacket make to much noise for close range? Many mornings I hunt are still and very quiet and don't want to spook deer. As far as temperature I hunt primarily in Kansas, early to late season (in an open tree stand) with little walking. I hope to be hunting farther north over the next few years and tend to be cold blooded. Thanks in advance for your comments. CB

18-Oct-17
My little lady is left handed and has the Fanatic jacket. The pockets do not interfere with her shooting in any way.

18-Oct-17
I have one of the older incinerator jackets. Great jacket. Very warm. Not as quiet as wool (nor nearly as heavy and bulky) but quiet enough.

18-Oct-17
I have a Fanatic and love it.

I did recently try on an Incinerator and was very surprised at how lightweight and quiet it was.

Probably get more use out of the Fanatic because the Incinerator is so warm but it’s a great jacket

18-Oct-17
You know, on those DEAD quiet mornings I hear everything anyways. From drawing my bow, to moving my feet. I have the Fanatic stuff and I think its fine. The critters don't mind the sound and if they spook it wasn't because of my coat. I'm in northern MI and it's warm enough for down to zero. I got better things to do when it gets colder than 20 anyway than sitting in a tree but it's warm stuff.

18-Oct-17
I have a Fanatic and love it.

I did recently try on an Incinerator and was very surprised at how lightweight and quiet it was.

Probably get more use out of the Fanatic because the Incinerator is so warm but it’s a great jacket

18-Oct-17
For all around use you'd prob get more out of the Fanatic. I hunt Manitoba, Canada and it isn't often that it gets beyond Fanatic cold. Doubt Kansas is much colder. If you can afford both, go for both. But for one for all-around, I'd go Fanatic.

18-Oct-17
I'm left handed as well, I have a fanatic jacket with no real issues with the pockets. I also have a first lite sanctuary jacket it's quieter and warmer than the fanatic. Just another option for you to look at.

19-Oct-17
As for the long collar, I am right handed and I don't like the collar very well. I typically leave a bit unzipped and tuck it inward. Full zip if it's brutally cold. Look at the way the jacket zips, and imo you as a lefty would have less issue with the collar unless you want to leave it unzipped a fair amount. If this is the case, the inward tuck works.

19-Oct-17
"The critters don't mind the sound and if they spook it wasn't because of my coat. " That sure is not the case with southern whitetails. They hear, mind, and spook from any sound originating from fabric. Fleece, wool and cotton outerwear rule.

19-Oct-17
Great insights, thanks for everyone's help.

19-Oct-17
I've used a fanatic in north central Kansas for the last three years. If anything it has been too warm at times....never have I been cold wearing it.

04-Dec-17
So if wearing these high end jackets, what or how many layers do you wear underneath?

04-Dec-17
Tobin, I wear a merino base layer and a midweight synthetic top under the Fanatic.

04-Dec-17
I can get by with an under armor cold gear base layer and a 100% wool sweater with my fanatic down to about 30 degrees i guess. Any colder and i add another long john top. What i like about a really light warm jacket is i can strap it to my stand and make a long walk and climb without getting hot and sweaty. Then when i'm settled in and have cooled off a little, put the fanatic on and stay nice and toasty the rest of the morning.

04-Dec-17
For about 20 and above I wear first Lite Chama base layer and a Sitka fanatic hoody under the Fanatic. When it gets colder I add another puffy, either my Kuiu puffy or Uncompahgre under the Fanatic.

04-Dec-17
I'm just getting used to my Fanatic and I really like it. I think I'll be able to layer according to the conditions and should be able to hunt down to whatever temps I want to hunt to. For me, that's often below zero from this point of the season until the first weekend in January. It's my favorite time to hunt, so hopefully I'm right!

I hunted to about 25 the other day and I was too warm, if anything (this is with Cabela's whitetail stand hunter top and a vest underneath). Plus I could layer more for colder weather.

However, it picks up cockleburrs and beggar's lice like nothing I've ever seen. I don't like that about the jacket, but I'll have to be more careful with this aspect of it and avoid them better.

All this being said, I am really happy with the jacket. I got a GREAT deal from smarba (Carl) and I'm really glad I went this route.

05-Dec-17
I pondered that myself. I went with the Incinerator for several reasons . First and foremost there's no such thing as too warm when you're sitting still up off the ground before daybreak. And since Sitka isn't a bargain brand I wanted something I'd be completely happy with when the bottom dropped out of the thermometer. If I ever really needed to I could easily put my Kelvin vest on underneath and I'd NEVER be cold. I might burst into flames instead! So ultimate warmth was a main factor for me on this particular purchase.

The other thing is the Incinerator is waterproof. I like that because I never have to question whether or not to bring rain gear.

Last I envisioned myself walking out of a briar patch with the Fanatic on covered in burrs! Screw that! And the thought of ticks calling it home..... yikes!

Last I'm ambidextrous and even so I just didn't care for having to reach both hands to one side to get the offset zipper started.

In the end the decision was easy. Well.... after two trips to Cabelas to try them on over and over again anyway.

• Sitka Gear