elkmtngear 28-Nov-17
Medicinemann 28-Nov-17
sitO 28-Nov-17
orionsbrother 28-Nov-17
Medicinemann 28-Nov-17
Bowfreak 29-Nov-17
Medicinemann 30-Nov-17
28-Nov-17
Pat, I just read the thread started by Orionsbrother regarding photos that are no longer available (It was addressed to you and the moderators).You stated that going forward, a solution is forthcoming. However, you stated that the archived photos are toast, and part of that is due to fact that it is cost prohibitive. Is the same true for the search function? Many years ago, your search function was EXCELLENT.... I believe that the newer version or revised search command is nowhere near as effective. Is it because of cost? If the older photos are no longer available because of cost, I have to admit that personally, I would gladly commit to a modest annual fee if the photos could be archived, the older search function could be re-instituted, etc. I am sure that many would want Bowsite to remain free to new members.....but I'd be willing to pay for some of the features that we used to have, and no longer have available. Maybe you could have 2 Bowsite options.....Plan A for $20/year, you get the "better" search function, archived photos, a more user friendly and up to date outfitter report, etc......and Plan B features a free membership, but without the features previously mentioned. Just wanted to throw that out there for your consideration......BTW, I just went into "My Bowsite" and tried to enter a new favorite thread, and when I hit , it took me to the new topic line.....

28-Nov-17
I have to agree with you. I don't find myself using the "search" function with regularity, but when I do now, I tend to swear.

28-Nov-17
Did you know that you can also use Google to search Bowsite?

In your address bar, type your inquiry, separated with commas and you’d be amazed what search results come up.

For instance if I wanted to search something that orionsbrother posted about elk, I would Google this....

orionsbrother, bowsite, elk

28-Nov-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

28-Nov-17
Brad is spot on, Google search for Bowsite Threads is very effective, it's how I roll!

28-Nov-17
Maybe I am showing my age here, but I have used the google search, and it still isn't as effective as the old version of Bowsite search was.....

28-Nov-17
He said he has the pics and will update after first of year, the vids are gone unless on YouTube unless I am misunderstanding something here?

28-Nov-17
Yeah. I try Google too. Seems to me that I remember the old search function more fondly. Could be that I'm putting on some rose-colored glasses of nostalgia.

<\p>

Could be that I swear about the inefficiency of the search functions 'cause I'm using them as a Hail Mary trying to find something I can't remember the particulars on because I've turned into Chris Farley.

"Wow! Remember that guy on Bowsite that had that great Elk thread with cool pictures, a great story and a huge elk? That was great!"

Search : That Guy, Bowsite, Elk, Cool Pictures

"#¥%~€*&@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Could be that expecting Pat's site to compensate for diminishing intellectual capacity is unfair. I plead sleep deprivation. But, anecdotally, I remember being more successful with the old search function.

I'm not bitching. I'm just wishing. I also wish that I were better looking and independently wealthy. Christmas is coming.

28-Nov-17
sitO, Not talking about just photos or vids....talking about being being able to retrieve old threads....I just tried to retrieve one from less than a year ago.....and it is giving me threads that have little or nothing to do with the search words that I used......one the first page of possible related threads, it says that there are 8 more pages to check....on the second page, there are only three total pages to review...?

29-Nov-17
I agree with Jake. Matter of fact, the old Bowsite search function was the best search function on the net. If I wanted to read a thread that a specific poster created, I could search by their posts. It was awesome and you could literally find everything in numerous way.

Seems to me Pat has said in the past that the old search function killed performance.

30-Nov-17
I see that Jaquomo also mentioned the inability to retrieve some of his prior mule deer hunt threads. Perhaps the method of archiving is at fault, but perhaps it is related to the search function. I'd be curious to hear what the answer is.....

• Sitka Gear