Jaquomo 03-Dec-17
Jaquomo 03-Dec-17
wildwilderness 03-Dec-17
Deertick 04-Dec-17
bigeasygator 04-Dec-17
Jeff Durnell 04-Dec-17
Jeff Durnell 04-Dec-17
03-Dec-17
I'm looking for Christmas gift for a friend who is new to venison cooking. I have several, including "writer's"(Michael Pearce) "Taste of Kansas Outdoors", "The Elk Hunter's Cookbook", and several others.

Wondering what you all also recommend that focuses primarily on venison?

03-Dec-17

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Lou I use this one many times

03-Dec-17

midwest's Link
Cook books are pretty much obsolete due to google but if I were to buy one as a gift to someone, it would be one of Hank Shaw's. His latest is "Buck Buck Moose". At my link...

03-Dec-17

03-Dec-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Lou, I'll have my new one coming out soon. :-D

03-Dec-17
Another vote for Buck, buck,Moose. I've made dozens of his recipes and they have all been phenomenal.

03-Dec-17
Ive got the Portuguese style braised shank recipe in the oven right now. Its out of Buck Buck Moose. I used the venison stock i made from the book two weekends ago. I love the book and highly recommend it as the others have.

03-Dec-17
Cool - ordering two copies of Buck Buck Moose, one for myself.

Midwest, I saw that woman at Paul's gym. Sort of gross, but female body builders have never done much for me!

03-Dec-17
Just be sure it has a blade roast recipe in there..if not look up Rinellas, just insanely good. Will never grind the shoulders again.

03-Dec-17

Bill Obeid's embedded Photo
I

03-Dec-17

03-Dec-17
Eileen Clarke had some very good ones. https://riflesandrecipes.com

03-Dec-17
You'll like Buck Buck Moose. Hank Shaw knows his stuff.

03-Dec-17
Steve Rinellas books are enlightening about cooking with venison.

I will say that you should have him look into getting a Sous Vide. It is an absolute game changer when cooking steaks, etc. Especially venison. It's literally life changing.

03-Dec-17
Ill second Steven rinella's guidebook, especially for a new hunter, covers much more than just recipes.

03-Dec-17

stick n string's embedded Photo
stick n string's embedded Photo

03-Dec-17
Melt in your mouth tender. Unreal how those shanks and all the connective tissue turn to such goodness!

03-Dec-17
Looks great, s-n-s! I just finished cutting up a buck and 2 does this afternoon. I saved the shanks on them instead of grinding them. Looking forward to giving them a try.

03-Dec-17
Thanks, guys. Yep I saved the shanks from my buck too. Really looking forward to trying them!

03-Dec-17
Which Sous Vide device do you recommend?

03-Dec-17
I tried that corned venison recipe from Hank Shaws book on an antelope hind. Was amazing!

04-Dec-17
Lou, we had some sous vide in Alaska ... and it was very good. They were using the Anova Precision Cooker. I was thinking about getting one, too, in fact.

04-Dec-17
Buck, Buck, Moose is awesome as is Hank's waterfowl book (Duck, Duck, Goose). One more recommendation...even though it's quite a bit older and doesn't have the production qualities of some of the newer publications, the LL Bean Game & Fish Cookbook is a tremendous resource for cooking all things wild.

04-Dec-17
You sold me Justin. Stuck here at work, on a double, nothing to eat, and yer making me hungry(er). Just ordered the book.

04-Dec-17
Got Hunt, Gather, Cook coming too.

• Sitka Gear