1.5 lb burger

1/2 onion (chopped)

1 can cream mushroom soup

1 can chicken & rice soup

1 can chicken noodle soup

1 cup white rice

1 cup water

1 tsp pepper

Brown burger, add chopped onion, pepper in large pan. Add soups, rice and water.

Transfer to 9"X13" baking dish - cook at 375 for 50 mins.

Serve hot - add soy sauce for salty taste

18-Dec-17

Bowriter's embedded Photo
Bowriter's embedded Photo
I do a monthly recipe column for a web site. I hate it. I have written a cookbook and I have no idea how many recipes and cooking articles. Of all the articles and column I have written, I hate recipes the most. Taste, smell, appearance. Get those three right and that is all there is too it. If I had to write down my recipe for gumbo, I would not have a clue. It has won awards and I have no idea how much of anything I put in it. Just make ever meal a shore lunch.

18-Dec-17
cnelk

What is it?

John

18-Dec-17
Super easy and pretty darn good - I didn't have any Pheasant so I substituted Chicken. I'm guessing you could substitute water fowl (goose breast with broad head cuts might be good - if not you could feed to the dog :) ), grouse, etc., if you would rather. All I've ever had is Pheasant and chicken so I can't speak as to the flavor of anything else - both were excellent!!

(You could also use venison and simply substitute beef broth in place of chick broth)

This is my version - I'll post the original next.

Ingredients: 1 pheasant, (chicken, grouse, water fowl, whatever you have on hand) cut into bite size pieces 1 package dry onion soup mix 1 1/2 cups minute rice 1 can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup 1 cup milk 1 cup of chicken broth (if you don't have chicken broth just use 2 cups of milk instead) 1 can french fried onions

Directions: Mix the rice and dry soup mix together and place into crock pot. Place the (meat?) pieces on top. Mix the cream of chicken or mushroom soup together with the milk and broth. Pour over the pheasant.

Crock pot on high for 4 hours or low all day. Crumble the french fried onions and sprinkle over each serving to give it a little more flavor and crispy crunch.

18-Dec-17

18-Dec-17
Sarah Palin's Moose Stew recipe, modified a little for my personal tastes:

Step One: Shoot a moose! (Elk, venison or beef work equally well.)

Ingredients:

2 - 2 1/2 lbs. moose roast, well trimmed and cut into 1" cubes. (Round steak or sirloin would be fine as well.)

2 T Crisco (Yes, Crisco! It works better than olive oils or vegetable oils)

1/4 t black pepper

1/2 t paprika

1 Bay leaf

3 Beef bouillon cubes

3-4 T Worcestershire sauce

1 t salt

2 10 1/2 oz. cans condensed beef broth

1 Cup dry red wine

1 large onion, diced

12 - 15 small whole white onions, peeled

3 - 4 carrots, cut into small 'stew-size' pieces

10 small potatoes, peeled (I prefer Yukon Golds)

2 T butter

2 T flour Instructions: Brown moose cubes in the Crisco over a medium heat

When the meat is browned, add the beef bouillon cubes along with the Worcestershire sauce to the pan, then mash and stir the bouillon cubes until fully dissolved and they start to brown.

Remove meat and juices from pan and place in a 2-3 gallon pot

Add in the chopped onion, pepper, paprika, Bay leaf, salt, beef broth, red wine, and carrots.

Cover and simmer 2 - 2 1/2 hrs., stirring occasionally.

Add the whole onions and peeled potatoes, cover again and simmer for another 15 - 20 minutes.

Mix the butter and flour and stir into the pot. If the gravy doesn't thicken enough for your liking, mix a little more flour with a bit of water, then stir it in as well.

18-Dec-17
Ingredients: 1 pheasant, cut into pieces....... 1 package dry onion soup mix...... 1 1/2 cups minute rice........ 1 can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup..... 1 1/4 cup milk...... 1 can french fried onions......

Directions: Sprinkle the dry soup mix into a greased casserole dish........ Sprinkle the rice over the soup mix........ Place the pheasant pieces on top of the rice........ Mix the cream of chicken soup together with the milk. Pour over the pheasant....... Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours....... Uncover. Sprinkle on the onions. Cook for another 15 minutes.......

18-Dec-17
Sausage/burger Parmesan pasta...

1 lb of venison sausage or burger. Sausage will give it more spice. (I used half/half)... 1 clove garlic (I used the paste)... 1/2 of a diced onion (I used a yellow)... 1pkg of spaghetti or your favorite noodle. (I used bow tie)... 4 tbsp of white wine... 4 tbsp of Parmesan cheese... 3 eggs... 2 tbsp of cream or half & half... 2 tbsp of fresh parsley.

Cook onion/garlic in olive oil. Once onions are soften, add meat and cook accordingly. Add white wine during the last minute or so while meat is cooking until evaporation of wine.

Cook your noodles the appropriate time and drain.

Whisk together 3 eggs, Parmesan and cream along with salt/pepper to taste. Set aside.

Add noodles to cooked meat for about a minute over medium heat. Stir.

Transfer meat/pasta to serving dish (preferably the warm dish you cooked noodles in) and add eggs/cheese/cream into the pasta and meat while hot. The eggs will cook within noodles. Stir thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste.

I made this last night. IT WAS GOOD!

18-Dec-17

Amoebus's Link
Bowriter - do most of your recipes include a little thumb-blood? 8^)

I finally got my wife to eat deer shanks with this recipe (link). Really good but hard to find the oil and beer.

18-Dec-17
Ha ha.... hotdish! I like tater tot!

Brown a pound of burger season to your liking. add 2 cans of cream of mushroom and a can of green beans or corn Spread in a baking dish and cover with cheese. Layer tots on top and bake I can eat this every day for a week .

18-Dec-17
Hotdish. Only something that an upper midwestern would know eh?? :)

18-Dec-17
Just sat down to post my smoked venison shank recipe....lol. I'll make a separate thread since I have several pics.

18-Dec-17
2 pound roast. Season your Venison roast to how you like it...... Oil in a cast iron skillet very hot and quickly sear it on all sides sealing in the juices.

In pressure cooker: 1 can beef consume - (tends to be a little salty so be careful) 3 cans of beef broth, 2 table spoons of Worcestershire sauce - add enough water so the roast will be completely covered. Bring up to pressure for about 3 hours - it should fall apart when you take it out....... Drain all the liquid off.... stir in a liberal amount of BBQ sauce, serve hot on hoagie buns, couple pickles, maybe some cheese. Cold beer and chips, let the stories begin.

19-Dec-17
Brad, Better share the Mexican Lasagna recipe. Cooking on the wood stove optional. :-)

Still need to do that one at home and I've got the ground venison ready to go.

19-Dec-17
I brought this dish to elk camp and everyone loved it.

Mexican Lasagna

Ingredients

6-8 large tortillas

1 lb ground venison

1 packet taco seasoning mix

1/3 medium onion, diced

1 can (19 oz) mild red enchilada sauce

1 can (16 oz) refried beans

1 1/2 cup cheddar or mexican blend cheese

3 small or medium tomatoes, diced

Cilantro, as desired Black olives, as desired Sour cream, for topping Shredded lettuce, for topping

Steps

1 Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large non-stick skillet on stove, cook onions and beef until cooked through. Remove skillet from heat, drain off grease and stir in taco seasoning. Set aside.

2 Cover the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish with a thin coat of enchilada sauce. Layer tortilla halves in the bottom of the pan with the cut (straight) sides facing outward toward edges of pan. Cut pieces of another tortilla as needed to fill in any gaps and create a solid tortilla layer in the bottom of the pan.

3 Continue layering ingredients in the following order, making sure to save enough of each ingredient to form a second layer: refried beans, enchilada sauce, beef and onion mixture, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, and chopped cilantro and black olives (if desired).

4 Using equal amounts of ingredients as the first layer, form your second layer in the following order: tortillas, beans, enchilada sauce, meat and onions, cheese, tomatoes, cilantro and olives.

5 Top with a final layer of tortillas, and cover with a thin coating of enchilada sauce and cheese.

6 Bake lasagna for 30-45 minutes until cheese is melted and tortillas start to crisp. Serve with sour cream, lettuce and additional toppings as desired.

19-Dec-17
Mexican lasagna for supper in graceton tonight...

19-Dec-17
Mexican lasagna? Can’t get more multi-cultural than that. Sauerkraut stir fry maybe?

19-Dec-17
Boys, this one is to die for.

Get a hunk of back strap. Butterfly it the length of back strap. You can marinate it if you choose. I don't as I prefer the taste of meat and not a marinade. Set it out and let it warm up a bit so you don't have to over cook it.

Get a block of cream cheese and warm to room temp.

A pack of bacon.

1/2 cup of stuffing. Cook the stuffing on the stove top. Stove top stuffing is fine if you prefer.

Once the cream cheese is room temp, mix it and the stuffing together. Once the back strap hunk is warmed up, season and sear it off in a blazing hot cast iron skillet with a touch of olive oil. Do all the sides. Remove it from the pan. Open up the butterfly and add the cream cheese and stuffing. Re-season the back strap and wrap in bacon. Put it back in the skillet in a 350 degree preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes for an average sized whitetail back strap. Longer for bigger around cuts. I'm guessing about 30 minutes for elk.

When preparing the back strap, season the meat with your choice of seasoning. I like good ole sea salt and pepper, with a touch of spicy Montreal Steak seasoning. Try it. Regardless of your preference for cream cheese, it is the key here. So, use it. God Bless men

19-Dec-17
WV that sounds fantastic...cnelk yours too,,,,,I down loaded both....thx

19-Dec-17
The lasagna was amazing, now I’m tired.

19-Dec-17
It is fantastic.

19-Dec-17
steak , float it in butter in the pan , add salt and pepper . cook till done . works every time

23-Dec-17
2-3 lb backstrap Combine 4 tablespoons softened butter, 2 tablespoons yellow mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic powder to taste (approximately 1 teaspoon). Spread combined “sauce” on top of back-strap. Roast at 450 for 15 minutes then reduce to 375 and roast till desired doness. 145 to 150 degrees for medium rare/ medium. Let rest for 5-10 minutes and slice. Works well on beef tenderloin too.

23-Dec-17
Cajun Coyote Recipe INGREDIENTS: * 2 cups vegetable oil * 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning * 2 tablespoons dried Italian-style seasoning * 2 tablespoons lemon pepper * garlic powder to taste * 2lbs of fresh thawed coyote meat – pounded to 1/2 inch thickness DIRECTIONS: 1. In a large shallow dish, mix the oil, Cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and lemon pepper. Place the coyote meat in the dish, and turn to coat with the mixture. Cover, and refrigerate for 1/2 hour. 2. Preheat the grill for high heat. 3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Drain coyote, and discard marinade. Place coyote on hot grill and cook for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.

??

23-Dec-17

bad karma's Link
Here's an easy recipe for a 7 chile chili. I added more chocolate, literally bittersweet chocolate to make it more like a mole, and some tomato paste as well. It has a perfect heat, which doesn't show up at first, and then, sits on the back of your tongue. One of my favorites, and you can do it in a crock pot.

23-Dec-17

buzz mc's embedded Photo
buzz mc's embedded Photo
9 smurfs, quartered

2 tablespoons of butter

Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Add the smurf quarters. Saute until the smurf quarters are just cooked through. Serve immediately.

23-Dec-17

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
Rolled stuffed venison roast. I use a rear roast and butterfly open. I brush inside with pesto and a salute some onions, peppers and add some Italian bread crumbs. You can stuff with whatever you like. Roll roast and tie or toothpick together. Some wrap in bacon and weave to keep roast together I just coat outside with olive soil, salt and pepper. Oven 325 degrees for 30 minutes per pound and check internal temp for 125 degrees. I remove from oven and cover loosely with foil and let rest for 8-10 minutes. Medium rare is the key.

23-Dec-17
Yea, Paul... that roast looks GOOD! Going to try that next week. Think I'll add some bacon like you mentioned also.

23-Dec-17
What a timely thread. Just finished making this for Christmas Eve... Tipsy Wieners 1 1/2 lb hot dogs 1 1/2 lb kielbasa 1 cup chili sauce 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup bourbon Cut dogs and kielbasa into 1 inch pieces. Put in large Pyrex or Corningware dish. Mix in chili sauce, brown sugar and bourbon. Bake lightly covered at 350 for 3 hours, stirring every hour. Refrigerate overnight, heat up on low Crock pot the next day.

23-Dec-17
Oh man, Toby wins - definitely going to try that one - with bacon and minus the peppers. Looks like prime rib, yummmmmmm!

23-Dec-17
I know all cooks say "let it rest" but I like to eat hot meat.

23-Dec-17
That lasagna recipe looks amazing.....

23-Dec-17
Here's one I bet most have never tried. On an elk hunt with the legendary Paul Schafer (we used to call him Chef Schaf) he cut out a section of backstrap from a bull I'd just killed. He cubed the meat into about one inch squares. Then dipped the cubes into a mixture of orange marmalade jam and horseradish (yes.. you read that right), then rolled the dipped cubes into a dish of sesame seeds for a little crunch. Then deep fried them in hot grease/oil. Crispy/crunchy on the outside and tender in the middle. Absolutely excellent. BW

24-Dec-17
Embry & Inshart let me know how it comes out. My wife and kids go nuts for it. Barry, I've heard of deep frying venison cubes like a fondue at a party but would never have remotely thought of that combination. Makes you wonder how someone comes up with that, will have to give that a try.

25-Dec-17
My hunting partner lightly seasons venison and deep fries it all the time - has been doing it that way for years and loves it.

25-Dec-17
Venison Tenderloin sliced to your liking , season with garlic pepper seasoning and brown in olive oil. As its browning add some fresh sliced mushrooms and cook down. Mix a can of cream of mushroom soup, can of milk, and a packet of mushroom gravy mix together and pour over your tenderloin and mushrooms in the fry pan. Let this simmer for 5 minutes or so and stir occasionally until it thickens a bit. Serve it over egg noodles, Fast , easy and filling and very good!

25-Dec-17

DL's Link
This recipe was killer using the sheep shanks off my Desert Ram. This would work with any cut of meat. Be sure and use port or at least 2 cups of it and one of another red wine. The port gives it a sweetness and it’s also tasty after dinner. I use Yukon gold potatoes and and cauliflower mixed together. Very sweet 2/3 potatoes 1/3 cauliflower and make like regular mashed potatoes. You won’t notice the cauliflower. I also made fresh green beans. I also added mushrooms to the sauce. Strained it and reduced to the liquid like it says. The sauce is so incredible and rich tasting. Any meat would be great with this.

30-Dec-17
Going to try some braised venison shank.

Do I need to remove the silver skin on the outside before browning? Or will it just melt away while simmering?

30-Dec-17
Just clean it and start the braising. It's 'da bomb

30-Dec-17

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
5 hours of simmering...wow!!!!! Flavors are tremendous. No more grinding shank!
5 hours of simmering...wow!!!!! Flavors are tremendous. No more grinding shank!
Thx wv! I’m winging it. Smells amazing.

26-Jan-18
Just to bring this bad boy to the top again.

Tossed a mallard on the smoker the other night between 180-220 degrees -- a bit of a variable on my Traeger's end. Anyway - maple syrup and chili powder basted every hour or so for 3 hours. Came out tender, a bit dry but I think that was part of the temperature variable. The flavor was outstanding. My girlfriend, who isn't a fan of duck, devoured it.

Took the leftovers, fried up some green pepper, onion and mushroom, melted provolone on top and made a nice philly cheese duck!

04-Nov-19
Lots of critters hitting the ground, time to bring this up. I’m sure someone has something to add

04-Nov-19

Wooddamon1 's embedded Photo
Wooddamon1 's embedded Photo
Some good stuff, guys.

Venison Roast Chili 1.5 lbs venison roast, seasoned with jalapeno garlic, chili powder, and whatever else you like. Search in a cast iron Dutch oven. Add a can of beef broth, diced onion and some more seasonings of your choice. Let it go, covered, for an hour or until it pulls apart easily. Remove roast to shred/chop and add 1 can of tomato paste, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of stewed tomatoes and 1 can of Rotel or other tomato/chilies mix along with a bag of fresh peppers chopped roughly with seeds removed (I use the bag of red/yellow/orange sweet peppers). Maybe a couple diced fresh jalapenos and a green pepper.

Add roast back to oven, pour in a dark beer, adjust seasonings and let simmer until the veggies get tender. I like beans in my chili, but I think this Texas inspired version is killer without it. Serve with cast iron skillet jalapeno cornbread, corn chips and pepperjack cheese or whatever sounds good. I recently ate this for a long weekend at camp, leaving it on the woodstove the whole time. It just got better. Enjoy!

04-Nov-19
Sear* not search...

04-Nov-19
Oh, and a can of tomato paste when you add the veggies, to thicken it all up.

04-Nov-19
Ha I was just thinking about Bowriter. He really did pull the plug on Bowsite huh?

04-Nov-19
Love this thread! Some good recipes on here, thanks to all!

04-Nov-19
All ya need to know... Tater Tot Hot Dish!!!! Put whatever you want in it as long as its covered in tots n cheese

04-Nov-19
Had to add to my favorites! Lots of great ideas here!

04-Nov-19

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
I do most all of the cooking as mama works and I'm on the other side of work life. If this recipe thread is an open thread...this is some saltwater sheephead I caught and used some of my favorite seasonings for frying. I use lemon herb seasoning for alot of dishes. I get those big jars off of EBay. I can't find the small ones in the stores anymore. I did some antelope enchiladas the other day and may have taken pics of it.

04-Nov-19

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
This is my version of stir fry using thinly sliced venison straps. I slice the straps and cook them in some olive oil and teriyaki. Drain off the leavin's and add whatever things you or the other eaters like. This time around I used bell peppers, onions, mandarin orange slices, shrooms, black olives, a touch of minced garlic, some brown sugar and grape jelly for a thickner. Add some teriyaki and a little soy to taste....easy on the soy and teriyaki as they are salty. Cook with the lid on to soften up the hard veggies. When the onions and peppers are soft, take the lid off to burn off the excess liquids in the pan. This will thicken everything else to a glaze. On this one I threw it on some pasta noodles. You can use rice or whatever else you like for the base. With all of my dishes I kinda wing it with what I have in the fridge or garden. Most things are seasoned/sweetened to taste.

04-Nov-19
Holy smokes, JL, those look awesome!

04-Nov-19

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
I was trying to make a pastie like thing here? It's ground venison, diced red bell pepper, onions, diced taters and seasonings to taste. I use adobe alot too. I used the canned biscuits ya get at the grocery store. Roll them out on the counter using a rolling pin and alot of flour. Use some butter, olive oil or butter flavored Pam on the bottom of the baking pan or dish so the flour doesn't stick to the pan/dish. Lay them onto the pan and fill them up with the above mixture. I added some cheddar cheese to these. Maybe sprinkle some salt/pepper or adobe on top. Bake at 350 degrees until the top of these things look golden brown. If you are doing an Italian version, when they are light brown, pull them out of the oven and put some sauce of your choice and mozzarella or Italian blend cheese on top. Put back in the oven until the cheese melts then pull out and serve. Maybe brush on a garlic and butter sauce on top too.

04-Nov-19

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
Last one for that creation.

04-Nov-19

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
Now for the dessert. I made this last night. It's a 4 berry pie. In this one I used two deep dish pie crusts.....thawed out. For the innards I used strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and picked blueberries. I sliced the strawberries and threw them in a bowl with the other berries. Ideally you should throw the blueberries in while they're frozen so they don't mush up when mixing. Speaking of mixing....add maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of flour and maybe 1/4 cup of sugar (or not) to the bowl and softly mix everything up. Before putting the mixture in the pie crust, throw in maybe a table spoon of butter into the pie crust pan. Put the berry mixture in there and flatten out with your hand. If you have the flour amount correct, the berries will be coated in flour. Let me stop here....the reason for the flour is to keep the berry juice from getting soupy and runny....it thickens up the juices as it cools. Otherwise with no flour, the innards will fall out when you cut the pie. After you get the mixture lightly packed down, take the second pie crust and loosen up the edges of it from the pan. Flip that second crust on top of the first pie crust. If it cracks...that is ok. You can repair it with some water and a finger rubbing it. Once you get the second crust flipped over and centered on the first, easily separate it from the pie pan. Wet your fingers liberally and start pushing the two pie crust edges together to seal them up. After you get the two crusts edges sealed, softly push down on the top of the pie to "seat" the top crust. I try to get all of the air/space out of there. I then take some cinnamon sugar and sprinkle it on top. Before putting the pie into the oven, I lay down some aluminum foil on the baking sheet to catch any juice over flow. I'll put the pie on the baking sheet if I haven't already. Fold up the edges of the foil in case you get alot of juice overflow....it helps keep the baking sheet clean. Also...very important....you need to cover the edges of the pie with a pie edge protector or cut out some aluminum foil to cover the edges as it bakes. Otherwise you'll smoke-check the edges. I'll have the preheated oven at 350 degrees and stick the pie in the middle of the oven. Bake for maybe 30-35 minutes and check it. I'll pull off the edge protector/foil and bake it another 10-15 minutes. Usually I get a little juice overflow as I pack the pie with berries. When the pie and edges are browned, pull out the pie and let it cool down. The juice will thicken up and not be all runny when you cut it.

Apple pies are made very similar. With that you add some nutmeg, cinnamon, flour and sugar (or not) to the mix. Pecan pies take a little more work but they're fun to make. You can also add some sweetened coconut to any of these pies too.

08-Apr-20

Let’s get this back up top. Made antelope shank osso bucco over polenta last night. Damn!

08-Apr-20
BOB’S BAKED BEANS

A dish to go along with the main course.

4 -- 16-ounce cans of Bushes baked beans.

1 -- 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple – (drained, use only the pineapple)

1 cup of molasses

1 cup BBQ sauce

2 Tbsp of yellow or brown mustard

3 pounds cooked bacon, cut up in small pieces (more bacon if you like)

1 - 16 ounce can French-fried onions, crushed, sprinkle on top last 15 minutes of baking.

Salt and pepper to taste

Optional -- add few pounds of cut up hot dogs, polish sausage, kielbasa, or brats.

Pre-heat oven to 350

In a large bowl, mix together beans, pineapple, molasses, BBQ sauce, mustard, bacon (add some of the bacon grease for extra flavor).

Cook in oven for 1 hour (sprinkle crushed onions on top last 15 minutes of baking) or until beans brown and bubbles.

09-Apr-20
Great thread some yummy stuff here Lewis

09-Apr-20
keep them coming lov seeing everyone cooking skills

09-Apr-20
Squirrel Sloppy Joes

Haven't made this since the kids were younger. Now that I have grandkids, I may have to .

4-6 squirrels quartered (depending on size) 1- large yellow onion 32oz beef broth 2 tbl olive oil 1-bay leaf 2 -15 oz cans Manwich 1-pkg. hamburger buns

Put quarters in crock pot and cover with beef broth and one bay leaf. I put it on high and let it go all day or 8 hours. I then strain it in a colander and discard all bones. the meat will have fallen off all the bones. (before I strain, I skim off the top of the broth, always have some hair floating).

Fine chop the onions and sautee in olive oil in a skillet until transparent. Chop or shred meat as needed. Add Manwhich and meat to the onions. Heat thoroughly and serve on a bun. My kids love the Hawaiian buns. One kid likes a slice of cheese on his as I do.

Kids and non-hunters never knew it was squirrel until years later. They always ate all of it!

• Sitka Gear