Rut Nut 22-Dec-17
Tody 22-Dec-17
Tooth 22-Dec-17
Rut Nut 22-Dec-17
Fuzz 22-Dec-17
TD 23-Dec-17
Fuzz 23-Dec-17
22-Dec-17
So I got a box of the natural hog casings to make venison sausage. I read on the box after opening you are supposed to store the remaining salted casings in the fridge.

Just wondering if I re-vacuum seal the "left overs" with a food saver, can I store them in a cabinet at room temperature? Or do they need to be refrigerated once opened?

22-Dec-17
I store mine in the fridge. Not sure on room temperature, possibly a cool area in basement or root cellar. Make sure what ever casings you have left to salt them down good. Reapply salt as necessary to draw out any moisture and only then store them. Do not freeze. How much casing did you get? If not much just make more sausage next week. I've made close to 100# in the last 3 weeks and between sharing it with friends and family I don't have much left.

22-Dec-17
I vacuum seal & store mine in the fridge. Just finished making 40 lbs a few hrs ago

22-Dec-17
Wow!!!!! I usually only make 10 lbs at a time. Always used the synthetic casings. Guess I will refridgerate just in case. Thanks!

22-Dec-17
Made 525 lbs of kielbasa yesterday. (It's a familly hobby lol!) We heavily salt and add water to the casings and refrigerate them. We've kept them for up to a year like this without any problems. I personally wouldn't leave them at room temperature even if they're salted.

23-Dec-17
Can you freeze real casings? (I use more sheep than hog)

23-Dec-17
Do not recommend freezing them. They tend to break down pretty quick in the freezer and become worthless.

• Sitka Gear