The last savage 26-Dec-17
elkster 26-Dec-17
osage 26-Dec-17
The last savage 26-Dec-17
Amoebus 26-Dec-17
24-Dec-17

The last savage's embedded Photo
The last savage's embedded Photo
Ok so in the next few years I want to plan a 10/ 14 day float hunt trip on a western river.Which river is the question!! I run a 14 ft CATARAFT,,I can haul 1500 lbs of gear on the cat.what I want to do is float a river through as much huntable land as I can,and hunt as many species as I can.bow of course..I've ran through class 4/5 ,but I'm looking for input from you guys that have been to and can recommend areas to help my research .I do not hunt from or shoot from the cat,moving and setting up camps are a breeze and totally silent travel.I run a guide business now on the mid Potomac river.i d rather do an Alaskan trip but just too far logistically,,thanks for any and all input..Merry Christmas!! Pat

24-Dec-17
"as many species as I can". Deer, Pronghorn and big horn sheep come to mind but drawing a sheep tag may be very hard. I have floated/fished the North Platte River in Wyoming below Gray Reef dam and have seen both deer and pronghorn along the river, some on state land/BLM, and then on private.

24-Dec-17
Thx Paul

24-Dec-17
Any tags I take will most likely be OTC.

24-Dec-17
The Colorado River for elk and mule deer - numerous units. You will have to figure out your run and get a deer tag for one of the units along the river. Lots of BLM and USFS. Just not lots of elk and deer along the river in bow season. It is mostly winter range and would be better for a late season which would be rifle.

I have wondered about the Snake in Idaho or John Day in Oregon. There are some good mule deer in those canyons and fishing would be awesome on either in archery season - smallies and steelhead :)

24-Dec-17
I can think of several others. Actually have used a kayak for getting to a hunting area in Arizona for Coues...

24-Dec-17
Thx Travis ,,,,merry Xmas bro!

24-Dec-17
Huge Mulies and beautiful country might think about the Owyhee on the Oregon , Idaho border. God bless and Merry Christmas, Steve

24-Dec-17
Thx Travis ,,,,merry Xmas bro!

24-Dec-17
Lochsa River for adventure, and tons of whitetails, some huge elk, mulies, and bear, cougar, sheep, grouse....ruggedness beyond measure. Go for it.

24-Dec-17
I don’t have any advice at all but look forward to the responses and very cool idea for sure. Good luck with what ever you decide.

24-Dec-17
Arkansas River near Burns Vista Colorado. Green River up in Utah would be pretty awesome too.

24-Dec-17
Goats, moose & turkeys on the Lochsa too!

24-Dec-17
Thx guys,,,Ill look at every place advised....I've done 10 day trips s no food or water taken,,,fishing and a carbon water filter pump is how I survived,,,i may do such a trip dying my hunt...you'll never realize the importance of a 9 inch bass. Till you haven't eaten for 2 days,,,it really puts life into perspective...you only miss 4 fish in a row then...life seems to become microscopic.......

24-Dec-17
You can float the Arkansas from the head 2 the ocean and shoot all sorts of stuff

25-Dec-17
I've been on trips,where I drift right past an animal that will simply just stare,,not alarmed,spooked,nothing,,what is floating by seems to be " just part of the water to animal's ".You can access areas from the totally secluded rivers edge,I've crawled up to the edge of a field overlooking a river bluff to find the field full if WT.its sort of a spot n stalk deal.

25-Dec-17
After doing 6 big game float trips on Alaska Rivers I cant imagine floating any where else. Once you’ve silently floated by an all black wolf at 75 yards, reeled in unending 2 pound rainbows and bow killed a great Barren Ground Caribou it’s hard to imagine gong elsewhere for an extreme adventure. Good luck!

25-Dec-17
Have a drift boat up in Idaho and a small raft here in Colorado... Need to get a good cat for some of those rivers and plan an adventure...

25-Dec-17
I understand you're limit on the lower 48, you will be using your cataraft right?

I floated 93 miles in Alaska 5 yrs ago, and like Charlie, I can't imagine passing on the opportunities for variety of game there. I saw Moose, Caribou, Black Bear, Bison, (if you draw a tag) Griz (just for the spectacle) and the fishing. These will be huntable from the river in September. You could fly and rent a 14 footer and easily spend 10 days in the same unit and see no one. I realize I'm getting away from your original parameters, couldn't resist putting in a word even though it may not apply. I hope you float hunt somewhere and wish you success.

25-Dec-17
Man Charlie I hear ya buddy...Alaska of course ,was my first choice,,that sounds like a dream trip right there,,I'd love too but 2 factors weigh in heavy,,fuel cost, travel time. Has any of you guys ever driven to AK from say middle of lower 48???? Time?

25-Dec-17
Ya know Don I haven't considered renting a rig,,,,that's a darn good idea!! And would make that a real possibility!what rivers where you guys on???

25-Dec-17
Have a drift boat up in Idaho and a small raft here in Colorado... Need to get a good cat for some of those rivers and plan an adventure...

25-Dec-17
You could do the snake river in hells canyon. Idaho and Oregon deer,Elk,bear and all the fish bass trout steelhead sturgeon catfish. Pm me if you like I also guide raft trips there. We plan on a float trip in Alaska also just need to do the logistics.

25-Dec-17
Royboy When are you thinking you'll be doing the float trip in AK?? do y'all have a river in mind?

25-Dec-17
I've been on the Colorado and Green a lot and would not spend time hunting there. I've been on the Middle Fork and the Main Salmon which are way nicer for fishing/hunting. Lots of chukar on the main, sheep as well but a tag would be tough.

As stated Alaska is the way to go for a float hunt

26-Dec-17
Pm sent

26-Dec-17
Thanks for everyone's input,,,when we put this together,ill keep y'all filled in,,it will be a blast! Pat

26-Dec-17
Sorry for the late response to your question. Sent you a p.m.

26-Dec-17
Those Cat's are something I never thought of. Can a person haul an elk and a week of supplies on one? What size? What class Rapids? Was thinking of the west coast rivers in Oregon. This seems to be the perfect solution to getting away from the quad menace I see everywhere. I have a 16' canoe but its use is somewhat limited.

26-Dec-17
I can haul 1500 lbs,,a 14 ft cat.I can and have ran class 5 in it..I'd rather not do miles of that loaded down,,,

26-Dec-17
Not sure about how much game is in there (or if it is huntable), but the south fork of the flathead has a lot of float boats coming down it and I have seen bear while fly fishing it.

• Sitka Gear