Fuzz 26-Dec-17
Ace of Spades 26-Dec-17
Fuzz 27-Dec-17
24-Dec-17

Fuzz's embedded Photo
Venison jerky
Fuzz's embedded Photo
Venison jerky
Just pulled 1st few racks of stocking stuffers out of the smoker... mandatory sample is pretty damn good IMO. Merry Christmas!

24-Dec-17

Fuzz's embedded Photo
Fuzz's embedded Photo

24-Dec-17
Fuzz what seasoning kit do you use? I’ve been using the Cabela’s kits but they are so salty!

24-Dec-17

Fuzz's embedded Photo
Fuzz's embedded Photo
I stay away from the kits since I like to experiment with different "heat seatings" and other spice combinations.

Here's my base recipe for 10 lbs of straight venison ground twice thru 3/8" plate.

1/4 cup of each: Coarse Black pepper Granulated garlic Granulated onion Salt

1/8 cup of each: Allspice Coriander Mustard seed Red pepper flakes And 1/2 cup of brown sugar. I also add 1/2 ounce of both 414 phosphate binder and pink cure (aka sodium nitrite) to 8 ounces water in a blender for at least 1 minute. Add everything to meat along with enough water to help get spices mixed evenly....and it's ready to go!

A few years ago I bought The Judge Jerky Gun from Amazon and have been pretty happy with it. It comes with 2 tips and holds 2 lbs. I prefer the wide tip. Have fun!

24-Dec-17
Looks like you have a commercial kitchen?

24-Dec-17
No, not a commercial kitchen... just a fully equipped meat shop with all the goodys! And a damn big smoker too!

25-Dec-17
That is one of four projects I have on my list . A building to process the things I knock in the head and want to eat . It must have a cooler to age the meat and a room to butcher.

26-Dec-17

btnbuck's embedded Photo
I get this at our local Rural King store
btnbuck's embedded Photo
I get this at our local Rural King store
Your pics look great there fuzz! I make ALOT of jerky and use a dehydrator mostly. I also use a jerky shooter but had to open the end of the nozzle up to make the finished jerky the thickness I wanted. I have found "High Country" brand mix to not be salty like some of the others. I also add my own "heat" to it in the form of Habenero powder that I grow myself. Ghost/Scorpian/Carolina Reaper and Red in different amounts plus extra Black or red hot chili pepper. (If it's not hot enough it disappears too fast) I also like to add Honey to the mix for that slight sweetness before the heat.

26-Dec-17
Honey? Sounds like a great option button and I'll try it out on next week's batch.

Jerky guns sure save a ton of time. I used to slice the meat for "real" jerky but I can grind, mix, smoke and package a batch in 4 hours. Whereas slicing take a crap load of time and you don't have to just use the bigger pieces of meat.

26-Dec-17
I have a dehydrator that I’ve used for jerked fkr several years and now have a smoker. Any things to watch out for using the smoker VS dehydrator? I usually use the cabelas BBQ Jerkey kit. I typically don’t use all the cure that it calls for since I also dislike it being salty.

Josh

27-Dec-17
Sorry, I have no experience with a dehydrator.

But on a side note, corn cobs make helluva good smoke!

• Sitka Gear